IGNORED

Coventry City League Cup: Official Matchday Thread

Jerseybean

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If you’ve used “if he’s due to leave” then doesn’t that perhaps answer your own question…maybe he’s not off, and that’s why he played! 🤣🤣🤣

They played a bit quicker, into the forwards, bypassing our press a bit (were you watching Millwall?).  They also pressed Naismith really hard, and therefore until the final 10 mins, he couldn’t initiate our attacks like he did first half.

Because Cov went a little more direct, they stretched the pitch.  We were nice and compact first half.  As a result we suddenly find it harder to pick up the bits and pieces.

Robins won the second half, unfortunately I’m referring to wily old Mark Robins!

I enjoyed certain things though.  Wasn’t anything like doom and gloom.  But would’ve like momentum for a Saturday.

You mean a manager watched the game and made changes as a result of what he saw, in order to affect the game?

Can’t say I’ve seen that at City since, say, last October.

• Like 3
  • Flames 4

8 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

It's early and it's the cup so not devastated.

My key points from tonight -

Midfield is going to absolutely kill us this season if it doesn't improve. Naismith was the only one passing forward in the second half.

Wide players really off it, need Yu to come in and offer something different, hopefully give everyone a lift.

Set pieces. Jesus. If Dickie isn't in the box we might as well just pass it back to the keeper, waste of time. 

The turning of the game was at half time even before the 5 changes from Robins. They stepped up the pitch and we just couldn't get out. Midfield just knocking it sideways and melting under pressure.

Fally starts for me if we wanna link the play up, if we wanna catch teams on the break I'd play Armstrong.

Only ones coming out with credit tonight for me was Tanner, Fally, Naismith and Stokes. Rest were indifferent, didn't get enough time or off the pace. Got to do better.

I'd also say based on tonight - Cornick, TGH, Williams.

All three couldn't honestly leave tomorrow and I wouldn't blink.

19 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Makes the decision to let James go but keep Williams lamentable.

Because he's younger and cheaper.

So very Bristol City.

Like you, I'd have pulled out all the stops to keep the one who can actually play football, especially given the style the coach is seeking to implement which above all requires the ability to pass accurately and consistently to a team mate.

But a Cup game so not end of the world. Would be more annoyed if it was a league game. A scratch team that won't get picked again hopefully, plenty of players involved tonight who aren't up to it and only confirmed it for me.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Flames 2

I don't think it's as bad as people are saying on here, first half I thought we were excellent. Second half we massively dropped off but remember there's new players and a fair few changes... Wouldn't get overly down about it. Gutted we are out but the game I seen Saturday and first half of today ...  I think we could be in for a very good season IF it clicks.. truth be told we don't know but let's not get too down 2 games in

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

Reading some of these comments makes me think I was at a different game as lots of doom and gloom.   Personally, thought we did ok and played some good stuff especially first half.  Mayulu and Wells were very good but we have to take one of the chances.  Even second hand we had the Stokes roll across the 6 yard box and Vyner missed a sitter at the end. 

It’s clear Manning prioritised Saturday with the 7 changes and we ran out of steam.  Cov freshened it up and god knows how much this squad costs but they had quality depth.

Shout out to Naismith who was excellent but on the flip side TGH was shocking & Williams did nothing and easy choice picking the two for Saturday. I do worry about our wide players as big pressure on Yu to hit ground running as not convinced with Sykes or Bell who really struggled.

Of course I’m not happy with a loss but not all doom and gloom.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MythikRobins said:

🔥 - No reactions left so have to give one of these.

Will obviously give it a couple months, but at the moment I fear I was led astray by that Williams purple patch towards the end of the season that I was happy to keep Williams and let James go. Will admit that mistake if he doesn't improve. Although, I've heard we did make James an offer? Not sure if that's true.

Williams had been playing well for 18 months, just people still tarred him with his injuries.

He played below par Saturday, and made it worse with penalty.

Tonight, tried to be brave in possession, a couple ifof wayward passes trying to force the tempo.  Nothing too much wrong with him tonight imho.

• Like 2

I’m slowly calming down after that utter rubbish of a second half performance 

The irony of Mr Manning telling us on radio Brizz we don’t convert chances with Conway in the U21s is delicious. 

If you play in a way that is quicker he will get you a boat load!

Today in the second half we reverted back to playing the ball around in nothing positions to eventually mis place a pass or hit a cross that was way to high or not past the first man. 

Deja vu! On the plus side that’s the most annoyed I’ve heard Mr Manning sound!

• Like 1

Just now, Merrick's Marvels said:

Because he's younger and cheaper.

So very Bristol City.

Like you, I'd have pulled out all the stops to keep the one who can actually play football, especially given the style the coach is seeking to implement which above all requires the ability to pass accurately and consistently to a team mate.

Don't think it was even that, to be honest.

I'm pro Pearson, obviously. So that'll be my only clue.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Bed wetters are out again. It’s the Carabao cup and we made loads of changes.  Tonight’s result doesn’t really matter does it. Onto the weekend 

Exactly right, play like that on Saturday and we have something to moan about.

It was pretty much our ressies 2nd half and none of them really did themselves any favours, maybe Stokes apart.

Edited by Ska Junkie

2 minutes ago, Slack said:

I don't think it's as bad as people are saying on here, first half I thought we were excellent. Second half we massively dropped off but remember there's new players and a fair few changes... Wouldn't get overly down about it. Gutted we are out but the game I seen Saturday and first half of today ...  I think we could be in for a very good season IF it clicks.. truth be told we don't know but let's not get too down 2 games in

We look pretty sure.

But in spite of the stats there wasn't much threat. Which is what should be the key takeaway.

It used to be we looked threatening, albeit only on the break. But that's better than what I just sat through.

Summed up by TGH on the edge of the box scoring a conversion.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Bed wetters are out again. It’s the Carabao cup and we made loads of changes.  Tonight’s result doesn’t really matter does it. Onto the weekend 

Absolutely spot on 

Out now so we can concentrate on that race for 11th spot 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I’m slowly calming down after that utter rubbish of a second half performance 

The irony of Mr Manning telling us on radio Brizz we don’t convert chances with Conway in the U21s is delicious. 

If you play in a way that is quicker he will get you a boat load!

Today in the second half we reverted back to playing the ball around in nothing positions to eventually mis place a pass or hit a cross that was way to high or not past the first man. 

Deja vu! On the plus side that’s the most annoyed I’ve heard Mr Manning sound!

mannings first 2 subs said how much he cared about the result. why cornick for bell? he cant do **** all in his best position, even less out wide, snould have been mehmeti, and waste a sub on knight for williams. bird would have been better imo if he had to bring knight off.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Williams had been playing well for 18 months, just people still tarred him with his injuries.

He played below par Saturday, and made it worse with penalty.

Tonight, tried to be brave in possession, a couple ifof wayward passes trying to force the tempo.  Nothing too much wrong with him tonight imho.

Think I'd prefer if he wasn't brave in possession too often. It's not his strong suit. As was said by a few after the game on Saturday his game is disrupting in midfield winning the ball back and giving it to better ball players.

Especially, when IMO in that second half we needed to calm down and regain control especially when their better players came on. Naismith, Roberts, Mehmeti and (usually) TGH would be my choices to inject a bit of tempo into the passing.

Might give the second half a rewatch on 2x speed at some point if I can stomach it, so I have a less frustrated viewpoint on it.

Edited by MythikRobins

3 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

mannings first 2 subs said how much he cared about the result. why cornick for bell? he cant do **** all in his best position, even less out wide, snould have been mehmeti, and waste a sub on knight for williams. bird would have been better imo if he had to bring knight off.

Protecting Bird and Knight for Saturday maybe ?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Out of his pie crust said:

Not great, felt really empty in there. Guess there must be a load on hols with ten quid tickets on offer. Fair play to Coventry bringing that many, very decent support

I thought the atmosphere was pretty good tonight, S82 in good voice 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

Nelson would have been the player for Bell! But apparently he wasn’t even on the bench for a league cup tie. The kid had earned at least that!

• Like 2
  • Flames 3

28 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

A lot of people making some very reactionary comments here. It was a league cup game where we were good for 45 minutes and pretty rubbish for 45 minutes.

All tonight highlighted is certain players aren't good enough to be starting at this level, Coventry made positive substitions when the game had gone flat and that changed things, Manning clearly didn't value the game highly enough to do likewise.

Hull taught us a lot more about what the season will hold than tonight, and that was very positive. A bit more quality in the 10 role and we could well be pushing for the top 10 (maybe even top 6). No side has had their season won or lost by a 1st round league cup game, Saturday will tell us an awful lot more about how close we are to improving on last season

To counter that, wasn't Manning brought in to get the best out of our players and go improve them? 

There is a nagging concern that players such as Bell, TGH, Sykes and even Pring have regressed and very few if any have improved. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Nelson would have been the player for Bell! But apparently he wasn’t even on the bench for a league cup tie. The kid had earned at least that!

Don't want to bring you bad news but having a little look in the Raekwon Nelson thread...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MythikRobins said:

Don't want to bring you bad news but having a little look in the Raekwon Nelson thread...

I will

i asked if he was injured on Saturday and was told unequivocally NO. Just has players in front of him! 😂 I guess we will see!

Edited by REDOXO

Fally looks an extremely good signing, sam bell his usual usless abject display and only in the starting XI because his dad works for the club and his dad's also best mates with tinion how bell gets in there ahead of nelson or Morrison is madness. Gardner hickman was busy but his passing was atrocious lost count of how many times he mis placed his passing tonight. 

• Facepalm 1

22 minutes ago, Fuber said:

We look pretty sure.

But in spite of the stats there wasn't much threat. Which is what should be the key takeaway.

It used to be we looked threatening, albeit only on the break. But that's better than what I just sat through.

maybe we could use a few of the Bears lads to come on as subs. Pretty sure that could **** some shit up. 

12 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

To counter that, wasn't Manning brought in to get the best out of our players and go improve them? 

There is a nagging concern that players such as Bell, TGH, Sykes and even Pring have regressed and very few if any have improved. 

And then on the other hand, our PPG is higher since Manning took over than it was under the same number of games before he was brought in, so there has been some improvement.

I wouldn’t say Pring has regressed at all, Bell has never really looked at the standard needed for this level and Sykes was possibly playing some of his best football for us under Manning until his injury. It seems like that’s been the turning point for him.

2 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

And then on the other hand, our PPG is higher since Manning took over than it was under the same number of games before he was brought in, so there has been some improvement.

I wouldn’t say Pring has regressed at all, Bell has never really looked at the standard needed for this level and Sykes was possibly playing some of his best football for us under Manning until his injury. It seems like that’s been the turning point for him.

Manning also hasn't been forced to sell anyone key, he has proportionately been backed more than NP (albeit neither have been backed enough).

I don't think pissing about with Sykes at Wingback, let alone Left Wingback and in and out of the side albeit the injury hasn't helped.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BasSavage88 said:

Joe Williams is ******* shit 😂

Cov comms complaining floodlights in front of dolman are too dark 

Hickman and Williams for me now our worst midfielders by some distance can't see eaither of them getting a sniff when we sign a number 10 there just not manning players eaither both hopeless on the ball.

12 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Fally looks an extremely good signing, sam bell his usual usless abject display and only in the starting XI because his dad works for the club and his dad's also best mates with tinion how bell gets in there ahead of nelson or Morrison is madness. Gardner hickman was busy but his passing was atrocious lost count of how many times he mis placed his passing tonight. 

Bell is in the team because of his dad?

Sweet Jesus.

3 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I'll have to hand over to @Davefevs when it comes to stats. Just by using my eyes I don't think we've seen a noticeable difference. 

I don't think we're seeing the best of Pring anymore. Bell before Manning was a better player than he is now. 

Neither of us can sit here and realistically name any players that have improved as we would have expected. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Manning also hasn't been forced to sell anyone key, he has proportionately been backed more than NP (albeit neither have been backed enough).

I don't think pissing about with Sykes at Wingback, let alone Left Wingback and in and out of the side albeit the injury hasn't helped.

I don't wanna make it Manning v NP, the Strategic direction and Plan of the Club is a bigger question mark for me.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

7 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'll have to hand over to @Davefevs when it comes to stats. Just by using my eyes I don't think we've seen a noticeable difference. 

I don't think we're seeing the best of Pring anymore. Bell before Manning was a better player than he is now. 

Neither of us can sit here and realistically name any players that have improved as we would have expected. 

You could make a case for O’Leary, Vyner, Tanner, Knight, Mehmeti off the top of my head.

At Hull I saw a noticeable difference, we just lacked that clinical touch. I don’t count tonight in anything, so the next test is Saturday. We’ve had some horror displays at home to Millwall over the years, now is a chance to show how much the work over the summer has paid off

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Gonna stay out of the NP vs Manning debate. Id say Mehmeti and Roberts are two players who are clearly better players. Mehmeti is now our best wide option IMO when before didn’t even look like he could play championship football.

Those are two players you’d easily guess would fit well with Manning anyway two technical players. Not a surprise to me that Sykes and Bell for example have struggled.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

You could make a case for O’Leary, Vyner, Tanner, Knight, Mehmeti off the top of my head.

At Hull I saw a noticeable difference, we just lacked that clinical touch. I don’t count tonight in anything, so the next test is Saturday. We’ve had some horror displays at home to Millwall over the years, now is a chance to show how much the work over the summer has paid off

I'm giving it a good 10 games before drawing any firm conclusions. 

So far we've played Hull who's defence was the worst I've seen for a long time and a second string Coventry.

We are going to need to up our game. 

3 minutes ago, MythikRobins said:

Gonna stay out of the NP vs Manning debate. Id say Mehmeti and Roberts are two players who are clearly better players. Mehmeti is now our best wide option IMO when before didn’t even look like he could play championship football.

Those are two players you’d easily guess would fit well with Manning anyway two technical players. Not a surprise to me that Sykes and Bell for example have struggled.

With those two players I think it's more down to opportunity rather than improving. Could be wrong tho but difficult to assess. 

• Like 1

I'm back from the game and thought I'd read this thread. Something told me it would be classic OTIB 🫣🤣

Firstly, I'm so happy to have the football season back and to be at Ashton Gate. And with the lights too!

Great noise from both sets of supporters. And a very combative, competitive game, and City had to work really hard to get the better of the first half.

I made a point of watching Mayulu and was pretty impressed by his work. He seems to have a good football brain, was obviously doing all the chasing and closing down that you'd want, but also knew that he had to identify when to come back and close in on Eccles. I think Mayulu and Knight were nicely coordinated with the press. And Mayulu has quality on the ball. Great to see the first stepovers of the season!

Second half was obviously really frustrating, and I understand the emotion expressed on this thread. I think we do need to be philosophical though.

First of all, our line up was the second string.

Secondly, Coventry are a bloody good team with a wily manager. We will have two very tricky tussles with them this season. That's guaranteed.

Thirdly, we conceded to one of only a couple of defensive errors that we made. Generally, it was still a 50/50(ish) game.

Millwall is the important one. Bird will be back in, hopefully alongside Knight, and who knows, maybe Earthy too.

I hope Bell doesn't have a bad injury. I also hope I never sew him on the left wing ever again.

And my last grumble is that for all the fantastic defensive play you get from Tanner and Vyner, I wish they had more quality in possession. Tanner goes backwards every single time, and @Davefevs I'd love to see Vyner's passing stats for the game, because he's so hit and miss.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BobBobBobbin said:

Honestly, where was Mehmeti running then for that Stokes pull back? Just a little jog into the south stand rather than walking to the back post and putting it in an empty net? Kid's so good and yet makes so many absolutely baffling choices!

Which is why he isn't actually any good.  He's not got the football brain needed I'm afraid.  Or rather hasn't yet shown that he has.  Perhaps give him a bit longer so his prefrontal cortex fuses properly?

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

So far we've played Hull who's defence was the worst I've seen for a long time and a second string Coventry.

With those two players I think it's more down to opportunity rather than improving. Could be wrong tho but difficult to assess. 

To counter that, wasn't Manning brought in to get the best out of our players and go improve them? 

There is a nagging concern that players such as Bell, TGH, Sykes and even Pring have regressed and very few if any have improved’

So you’re willing to come to firm conclusions over negative aspects of Mannings time here but not positive ones?

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

You can't say it was a second string Coventry without acknowledgement that it was a second string City team too! 7 changes.

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

To counter that, wasn't Manning brought in to get the best out of our players and go improve them? 

There is a nagging concern that players such as Bell, TGH, Sykes and even Pring have regressed and very few if any have improved’

So you’re willing to come to firm conclusions over negative aspects of Mannings time here but not positive ones?

"Nagging concern" isn't a firm conclusion. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mozo said:

You can't say it was a second string Coventry without acknowledgement that it was a second string City team too! 7 changes.

I was pointing out that it's difficult to draw any conclusions from those two games due to the nature of those two games. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

It's early and it's the cup so not devastated.

My key points from tonight -

Midfield is going to absolutely kill us this season if it doesn't improve. Naismith was the only one passing forward in the second half.

Wide players really off it, need Yu to come in and offer something different, hopefully give everyone a lift.

Set pieces. Jesus. If Dickie isn't in the box we might as well just pass it back to the keeper, waste of time. 

The turning of the game was at half time even before the 5 changes from Robins. They stepped up the pitch and we just couldn't get out. Midfield just knocking it sideways and melting under pressure.

Fally starts for me if we wanna link the play up, if we wanna catch teams on the break I'd play Armstrong.

Only ones coming out with credit tonight for me was Tanner, Fally, Naismith and Stokes. Rest were indifferent, didn't get enough time or off the pace. Got to do better.

Excellent analysis. Game was won by Robins at Half time then on 60 minutes.  Half time turned the tide, 5 subs brought it home.  Really good management that takes guts.  Far better to make one big change then a series of small changes.    I wonder how many of the subbed players knew they were off on 60?  Similarly, surely Knight knew he was off at HT?

Our corners were abysmal. I could do better. Floating the ball under the crossbar with no one attacking it? Contrast their keeper and ours from set pieces....

If we take this as a game which allowed Manning and us to look at squad players who may not normally feature in league games then all well and good.

There are some tonight who have shown that they wont ever be good enough, some who may have shown signs they could be good enough and some who have shown that they are good enough now.

In that respect, tonight was a good exercise...especially if you ain't bothered about a league cup run.

1 minute ago, east sussex red said:

If we take this as a game which allowed Manning and us to look at squad players who may not normally feature in league games then all well and good.

There are some tonight who have shown that they wont ever be good enough, some who may have shown signs they could be good enough and some who have shown that they are good enough now.

In that respect, tonight was a good exercise...especially if you ain't bothered about a league cup run.

That's true provided the manager makes the right calls on the back of it..

I will be interested to see the starting XI on Saturday..

• Like 2

Too much of a deja-vu feeling from last season. Pretty patterns getting nowhere, abysmal crosses and too many times ball given away, as with the goal. Oh and a Championship manager outwitting Manning with substitutions.

I thought Naismith was our most.creative player and was surprised at how poor Fally was in the air, his feet seemed to be stuck to the ground. He looked good on the ball but never seems to make the right runs into the box when we go wide and on tonight’s evidence we need a striker, a poacher. 

Coventry are great example of a team that sold big but didn’t shop for replacements at Aldi. On the whole we look like a team that with a bit of improvement could once again become bang average. Another long season ahead.

4 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Too much of a deja-vu feeling from last season. Pretty patterns getting nowhere, abysmal crosses and too many times ball given away, as with the goal. Oh and a Championship manager outwitting Manning with substitutions.

I thought Naismith was our most.creative player and was surprised at how poor Fally was in the air, his feet seemed to be stuck to the ground. He looked good on the ball but never seems to make the right runs into the box when we go wide and on tonight’s evidence we need a striker, a poacher. 

Coventry are great example of a team that sold big but didn’t shop for replacements at Aldi. On the whole we look like a team that with a bit of improvement could once again become bang average. Another long season ahead.

Fally has a very high ceiling if coached well.  He could also disappear back to Austria on a series of loans if things go badly.  To me he can clearly see a picture when he has the ball.  The opposite of Mehmeti for instance.  Our poacher is supposedly Wells who had a number of chances that he finished weakly I'm afraid to say.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Sometimes as a City fan you turn up in August all excited, then as the games progress you think -  hang on I’ve seen this season before! 

I have this feeling in my water - and it's apros pos of nothing really - that in an inversion of the usual City order,  the first half of this season will be dodgy, but we'll spark to life in the second.

The only reason I think that, is Manning isn't thick, but it takes him a long time to see what's in front of his eyes. His innate caution stops him taking action until he works out something isn't working for multiple matches.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Fally has a very high ceiling if coached well.  He could also disappear back to Austria on a series of loans if things go badly.  To me he can clearly see a picture when he has the ball.  The opposite of Mehmeti for instance.  Our poacher is supposedly Wells who had a number of chances that he finished weakly I'm afraid to say.

Wells is past his best and beginning to show it. Personally I would like to see Stokes played with Fally as they looked to be on the same wavelength for the short time they were on together. 

I thought Mayulu played very well tonight, I think he’s quite ‘raw’ which I don’t mind.. he’ll be getting lots of shots away this season for sure. First time I’ve seen Stokes and there’s definitely an exciting player there, looking forward to seeing more of him! 

It’s a shame Zak didn’t knock it in at end, but in fairness to him it went through two players and it was very hard to react. I thought he had a solid game apart from that with his blocks and recovery tackles, the odd miss placed pass, but no more than anyone else. The perfect partner for Naismith at the back, thought he also did very well considering how long he’s been out.

Big improvements needed on that second half if we’re to get a win on Saturday though.. anyway very pleased to be back at the Gate!

Edited by TommyD68
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

Just checking.

LM 42 pts / 32 games

Pre-LM 44 pts / 32 games

Or am I doing something wrong in the way I’m calculating it?

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

I thought first half, the pretty patterns did get us somewhere.  We created a good few chances.  I thought we were bright.

Crossing was shit, agreed.

I think Manning and his team don’t read the game real-time.  It’s quite an issue imho.

Mayulu is tall, but he’s not an aerial target man per se.  As you’ve seen he’s about nice touches, lay-offs, etc.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, NDW4CITY said:

So true.....I don't want to get on his back, but Bajic gave me nightmares every time a corner came over.

Bentley standard on corners. Not a patch on Max in general.

Maybe he'd get better with games, not that I advocate that.

Having watched the game last night I thought I would come on here this morning and give my spin on events. However having drank too much I have awoken with very little memory of the match. Reading through the comments this may well be the best way moving forward to watch all city games. 🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🤣

• Haha 8

They can’t be wingers, they can cross the ball.

There, said it. Hopefully a Semenyo-like transformation from someone for Saturday.

But frankly, Cornick, Sykes, Bell aren’t wingers and Anis - who after 2+ years remains far off the finished article - needs at least to be played on his strong side, not the wrong side.

If Manning insists on ‘cutting in’ wingers then we need our full backs to be running much further up the line in the opponent’s half and much sooner in the attacking phase of play, plus have the ability to cross the ball. 

…. and please, just buy us a goal scoring central midfielder.

Slightly worrying that Manning has settled on an approach to play, but we don’t have the players with the attributes to deliver the knock out blow in the final third - which is the entire point of the game. Appreciate its ‘early doors’ but a recurring theme that is pretty fundamental to our well-being this season. I also think it’s quite a big fix either way - new players or complete change in our set up/pattern of play. 

• Thanks 1

That was a complete waste of my time, the fuel to get there and back home and money.

The tactics seem to be the same as we've suffered since LM arrived; sideways, backwards, trying to break through via the wings, very rarely if at all through the middle. 
Almost every shot on goal is from twenty yards and hardly ever on target.

Top six? Top ten? Much more likely is 15th and below.

Seriously, I enjoyed watching City in the Fourth Division more than this dreary rubbish.

And then listening to Manning on the radio afterwards and you would think we had played well and were unlucky to lose.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

I havent listened to or read any post match reports but Manning should put his hands up for last night. A pretty evenly contested first half undone by poor decision making. Fair play to Robins. He smelt blood & it paid off but could've been prevented or countered better. My concern is the persistence with a no.10 when we haven't got a recognised one. Better options on the bench for different positions so change the game plan/formation and not square pegs. Last night was perfect opportunity to put Armstrong alongside fally when we were chasing the game, or even just before.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think Manning and his team don’t read the game real-time.  It’s quite an issue imho.

This is a major reason I’m quite pessimistic about our prospects this season (but hoping to be proved wrong). I get echoes of the LJ era when we were regularly ‘found out’ by opposition managers who altered the pattern of the game by in-match (most noticeably half-time) changes.

Most of LM’s changes seem to be “pre-programmed” rather than responding to what’s happening in a game. The insistence on substituting Conway on 60-65 minutes regardless of the game situation or his performance stood out as an example of this last season.

It takes more than an organised system with decent players (both of which we have) to be successful in the Championship. Sometimes you need to do something different to counter the opposition or to counter its adjustments to your own style. I’m not yet convinced that LM has the required skill set for this.

• Like 7

I thought I'd leave it until all the usual knee jerk reactions had died down , so here are my thoughts.

Bajic , I thought he did ok. TBF Cov's corners were good and put him under pressure. I noticed on a few corners he didn't get the "minder" he might expect to stop the forward trying to bully him. Got a fist to most and ony one I would criticise him for not catching when under no pressure. 

Defence was ok for the most part. Roberts and Naismith looking good.

Midfield was a mixed bag. Knight did ok, still not found his form yet, TGH I thought did well first half . Started to lose his way 2nd half and I was surprised he wasn't one of the changes made. Williams , like Knight isn't quite on it yet. 

Up front was quite interesting . I think Wells must have played himself into contention for that deep striker/ 10 role , seemed to link well with Fally . The movement of the 2 , reminiscent of Wells & TC , was causing them problems and really must have Manning thinking for Saturday. 
Bell is unlikely to feature Saturday by the sound of it, but didn't do much IMO.

I thought we were good first half , still not clinical enough but their keeper made one very good save from FM . Movement and press were decent and we managed a good amount of control.

2nd half started ok but we began to lose the grip on the game before they made their changes.

This is my continued complaint with Manning . We could have freshened things or tweaked things to try and win the game but he tends to leave it. When Cov made their changes they went to win it , we waited and waited until they scored . Even then there is no real change . TBF I thought Mehmeti did ok as did Stokes , AM put in a couple of decent low crosses and JS made one chance that was begging for someone to get on the end of.
The last sub when chasing the game, same as ever striker off, striker on . 

Manning talks of fluidity but he seems rigid in his ideas. Subs around 60/70 mins and always like for like . In a game that looked likely to be won by the odd goal  surely it was time to play 2 strikers , put some pressure on in their area. As it was plan 'A' was stuck with even though it had stopped working.

I worry that we will see this happen again and again, teams change from how they start and we can't, or wont, adjust to counter . The fresh legs they threw on made the difference , one good ball and a decent finish while we waited to see. 
There were some good signs, Naismith, Wells and Mayulu all making cases for starts . On the other side I think Williams has played himself out of the side, surely Bird & Knight have that MF 2 sewn up. Of course we could have a new player by then.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

maybe we could use a few of the Bears lads to come on as subs. Pretty sure that could **** some shit up. 

Maybe it would mean we'd at least threaten from set pieces.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I thought the atmosphere was pretty good tonight, S82 in good voice 

I was there last night. 

I thought the atmosphere was flat. Maybe because I remember  the times when our fans were really loud and the atmosphere at Ashton Gate was good.

All the noise came from the Coventry end.