IGNORED

The new floodlights are rubbish

• Admin
13 hours ago, Shockwave said:

I understand we are having new floodlights installed.  Are they sorting the sound system at the same time?

That is correct, we will be able to do those light shows with the lights etc

They needed upgrading for the womens rugby world cup next year, so not sure if this is that upgrade of if there will be another next summer?

16 hours ago, Shockwave said:

I understand we are having new floodlights installed.  Are they sorting the sound system at the same time?

I'm completely in the dark as far as  new floodlights are concerned.

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Shockwave said:

That's an illuminating piece of news, thanks for shining a light on this 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I used to love evening games, 'AG's special atmosphere under the lights' etc, and it really was.

Not so since the rebuild - far too bright off the pitch.

Turn the bloody lights off in the stands, or at least turn them right down, the special atmosphere has been completely ruined.

Walking down Coronation Road for night games,  catching first sight of the floodlights atop the old pylon towers, with fag smoke drifting up out of the ground, used to heighten the excitement as a youngster.

The excitement was often soon dampened when we conceded an early goal!

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I used to love evening games, 'AG's special atmosphere under the lights' etc, and it really was.

Turn the bloody lights off in the stands, or at least turn them right down, the special atmosphere has been completely ruined.

Are you old enough to remember the Harry Dolman floodlights? They created a really unique atmosphere as, by modern standards, they were so low 

IMG_6517.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, phantom said:

That is correct, we will be able to do those light shows with the lights etc

They needed upgrading for the womens rugby world cup next year, so not sure if this is that upgrade of if there will be another next summer?

I would be very disappointed if they've got new software for the lighting effects and not upgraded the sound system. Pretty embarrassing if you have flashing lights and can't hear anything. Would be like a silent disco 😂

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I think it is something to do with the Safety Advisory Group, who appear not to have published minutes for a decade but it will be to do with safety no doubt, the catch-all.

Turn them down though, I don't see why not.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think it is something to do with the Safety Advisory Group, who appear not to have published minutes for a decade but it will be to do with safety no doubt, the catch-all.

Turn them down though, I don't see why not.

Anybody know if they keep the stand lights on for the concerts? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Street red said:

Good point.

Concerts are in the months of longest daylight so there is a less need as a starting point for the most part but the conditions for concerts imposed by the SAG would be interesting to compare and contrast.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Street red said:

I'm pretty sure I've seen pictures with them off. I'm pretty sure I've been at concerts where they are off. 

I think they get left on at football for cctv purposes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Admin

The lights being left on has been raised with the club, the last I knew there were going to be discussions to see if they needed to be as they were

I would wait for the first night game and see, as we may be referring to past situations

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

I'm completely in the dark as far as  new floodlights are concerned.

Are you sure you're not sitting in the luxurious new megastand at the Methanium?😁

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

The lights being left on has been raised with the club, the last I knew there were going to be discussions to see if they needed to be as they were

I would wait for the first night game and see, as we may be referring to past situations

Fingers crossed.  I love a night game, but the lights staying on removes the “under the lights” effect to an extent. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I am 99% sure that isn't true, it has certainly never been specified by the club as being a reason

The CCTV is used for concerts for exactly the same reason as football and rugby

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, phantom said:

Would be a very welcome intervention if so Phantom.  

10 minutes ago, phantom said:

I am 99% sure that isn't true, it has certainly been specified by the club as being a reason

Quick Google search confirms the lights are off for concerts like I thought they were. 

I think I read somewhere before that it's the SAG that insist the lights are kept on for safety purposes. I'd say with people dancing in their seats etc then the safety risk would be higher at concerts. 

So in my opinion that only leaves one possible reason why they are left on and that's for cctv purposes. 

15 minutes ago, phantom said:

I am 99% sure that isn't true, it has certainly been specified by the club as being a reason

I have a recollection that I queried why the lights were off back when Take That first played at Ashton Gate, and the reason was something along the lines of....

During an emergency the main lights of the concert stage would light the stadium, whereas during a night football match you don't have the concert lights to do the same thing.

IMO I think it's all baloney to keep the cameras on the football fans, and nothing to do with safety.

For years we had matches in reduced lights and likewise at the cinema you have no lights until the film is over or an emergency occurs. No different to football in my opinion.

I love evening matches with the stand lights reduced, but ive given up questioning it as the club clearly don't want it to happen.

Ps. Happy for someone to dig out my past post and answer from the club if they want. I think it may have in the Ask Jerry section of this forum.

• Thanks 1

• Admin
10 minutes ago, lenred said:

Would be a very welcome intervention if so Phantom.  

Put it this way, if it's not resolved we'll raise it again with the club, information was provided about not requiring them to be on 

• Flames 1
  • Robin 2

• Admin
10 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think I read somewhere before that it's the SAG that insist the lights are kept on for safety purposes. I'd say with people dancing in their seats etc then the safety risk would be higher at concerts. 

So in my opinion that only leaves one possible reason why they are left on and that's for cctv purposes. 

Like I said, that's never been mentioned by the club when the question was asked 

Any idea what happens at rugby matches? 

CCTV is used for all events held at the ground, that wouldn't be a reason 

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

Put it this way, if it's not resolved we'll raise it again with the club, information was provided about not requiring them to be on 

Superb.   Have always said I think it’ll make a huge difference to the atmosphere 

12 minutes ago, phantom said:

Like I said, that's never been mentioned by the club when the question was asked 

The point i'm making is that the CCTV quality would be reduced with the lights off. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm pretty sure I've seen pictures with them off. I'm pretty sure I've been at concerts where they are off. 

Haven't the club got night vision security cameras? to be honest not something I look at durings games because it's been that exciting the last few years 😂 

Paragraph 22 a) and 26 in particular could shed some light.

This was at or during the time of the rebuild but there is so little in respect of our arrangements in the public domain. The yellow annotation was already on there.

Is this of any relevance @phantom ? Or outdated now.

Screenshot_20240729-170050_OneDrive.jpg

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, phantom said:

They’re on for rugby.  

The CCTV thing is a red herring, as the lights aren’t left on in other stadiums. 

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, Barrs Court Red said:

The CCTV thing is a red herring, as the lights aren’t left on in other stadiums. 

The document above would suggest it maybe a relevant factor as per our Local Authority.

"The normal lighting and emergency lighting shall separately provide a level of illumination which is sufficient to allow the CCTV system to operate satisfactorily".

They (Bristol City Council SAG pertinent to AG and football especially) haven't published anything for 9 or 10 years though so it is rather hard to gauge

4 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Oh dear nogs.... Dont go upsetting health and safety.... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

That is correct although I think our Council and their Regulatory Requirements really need looking at.

Other grounds being different to us...hmm. I can believe that so the question is why is Ashton Gate held to a different standard.

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That is correct although I think our Council and their Regulatory Requirements really need looking at.

Other grounds being different to us...hmm. I can believe that so the question is why is Ashton Gate held to a different standard.

This is the council that wouldn't allow the club to invest in a new stadium on contaminated land... It's hardly going to make an embarrassing U-turn now by being seen to allow us to change a few light bulbs.

4 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Apparently not allowed for safety!!! Yet you attend a concert and every light goes off and thats perfectly safe. 😂

14 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It's an absolute fact that with cameras less light = poorer quality. They may have night vision but even that is not as good as a well illuminated area. 

The document that @Mr Popodopolous shared also says this. 

I suppose, agree on camera quality light dependent btw, but the question is could they still function with a lesser light.

Given the sharp rise in utility costs post Covid, I would've thought the club if and where possible Solent mind saving some on dimmed down lights.

I'm open minded on it in respect of choice v imposition.

4 hours ago, phantom said:

Hasn’t the club said before they have to be left on for health and safety reasons 

3 hours ago, phantom said:

I am 99% sure that isn't true, it has certainly never been specified by the club as being a reason

Yes, but they (the police etc) care about rugby and concerts a lot less than football.

For example, your legally allowed to let off as much pyro at a rugby game as you like (ok Ashton gate would ban you), where the police would be looking at cctv to arrest you during a football game 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Was just going to post the same, no good having a light show if the stands are as bright as daylight.

I noticed during the concerts again the lights were allowed to be turned off. There were more people in the stadium than during a football match, and more constantly moving around, and they were probably less familiar with the stadium too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Are you old enough to remember the Harry Dolman floodlights? They created a really unique atmosphere as, by modern standards, they were so low 

IMG_6517.jpeg

I was there with my Dad and also there when the next floodlights were used against Wolves in a Div Two league match Christmas 1965.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

7 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I keep making an annual plea for shades to be fitted to the exit lights so that they don't shine directly across and ruin my already poor eyesight. There is good uefa guidance on floodlights, but not general stadium lighting. However, since it affects players and the guidance is designed so that floodlights don't cause glare for players, this should be a valid criticism of the existing arrangement.

If anyone is as sad as me https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/uefaorg/General/02/36/26/72/2362672_DOWNLOAD.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

The point i'm making is that the CCTV quality would be reduced with the lights off. 

Seagull, I'm sure this wouldn't be an obstacle as good quality night time cctv cameras are available. Jon should avoid ordering from temu or aliexpress for best results.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Seagull, I'm sure this wouldn't be an obstacle as good quality night time cctv cameras are available. Jon should avoid ordering from temu or aliexpress for best results.

It could be either tbh..that Council document does make me wonder.

• Admin
3 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It's an absolute fact that with cameras less light = poorer quality. They may have night vision but even that is not as good as a well illuminated area. 

The document that @Mr Popodopolous shared also says this. 

But they clearly do the required job 

Do we have an excessively fussy and risk averse SAG then who don't like transparency either.

Because Paragraphs 22 a) and 26..I'll try and link the whole document if anyone wants to look.

https://democracy.bristol.gov.uk/Data/Public%20Safety%20%26%20Protection%20Committee/201407151000/Agenda/0715_7.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwianIzhlM2HAxWdVUEAHdsaCZYQFnoECBcQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0OElmPs0bWfXR4GLI74MAx

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

This is the council that wouldn't allow the club to invest in a new stadium on contaminated land... It's hardly going to make an embarrassing U-turn now by being seen to allow us to change a few light bulbs.

But why does it make any difference to the council if we have safety lights on/off during games? But not other sports in the ground or in any other football stadium. Odd one if you ask me.

• Like 1