IGNORED

If/when Tommy goes

NDW4CITY

Do we need an additional striker when Tommy finally exits the club?

First off I do like what I’m seeing from Fally and Sincs so far. Against teams that we can press Sincs would be my preferred choice to start, whereas Fally gets the start where the press wouldn’t be so effective

I would also see each being subbed on for impact in games they don’t start. Some have argued that perhaps both could start at times, and I think that would be a valid option.

In terms of backup, we have Nakhi then who? Some would have said SPH, had he not gone on loan. After Nakhi though, maybe Cornick or Bell?????

So what happens when one or both main strikers gets suspended, injured or loses form? If Sincs gets injured, how much does that affect  the press? I’d In addition if we start both in certain games, where does the real impact come from off the bench.

I realize it’s unlikely we’ll actually bring in an additional striker, but boy I would feel a lot more confident about this season if we did.

Thoughts?

15 minutes ago, NDW4CITY said:

First off I do like what I’m seeing from Fally and Sincs so far. Against teams that we can press Sincs would be my preferred choice to start, whereas Fally gets the start where the press wouldn’t be so effective

I would also see each being subbed on for impact in games they don’t start. Some have argued that perhaps both could start at times, and I think that would be a valid option.

In terms of backup, we have Nakhi then who? Some would have said SPH, had he not gone on loan. After Nakhi though, maybe Cornick or Bell?????

So what happens when one or both main strikers gets suspended, injured or loses form? If Sincs gets injured, how much does that affect  the press? I’d In addition if we start both in certain games, where does the real impact come from off the bench.

I realize it’s unlikely we’ll actually bring in an additional striker, but boy I would feel a lot more confident about this season if we did.

Thoughts?

We have 3 other strikers going for one slot so won’t sign another and don’t need to in my view 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The age and experience doesn't feel right IMO.

Yet I think we are done for our striker shopping. Fally, Armstrong and Wells it likely is.

I agree…maybe we would evaluate in the Jan window

1 minute ago, NDW4CITY said:

Maybe we would, should. We'll see.. someone to knit together the encouraged intent maybe we have enough.

It depends what we are looking for too- is it a top 6 pushing season or midtable? Certainly we wouldn't be looking atm if the latter IMO.

Dont think the club will get another, they pretty much covered it ahead of time, Earthy plus another another will fill the quota, if we get desperate we have Belly and a youth team to pick from but that would mean that Wells, Cornick, Sincs and Fally are all out, we have plenty of forwards. If they are good enough is another question but I dont see the club getting another one in unless one of the four leave.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Maybe we would, should. We'll see.. someone to knit together the encouraged intent maybe we have enough.

It depends what we are looking for too- is it a top 6 pushing season or midtable? Certainly we wouldn't be looking atm if the latter IMO.

This is my 60th season , so mid table is definitely getting old for me 🤣

• Robin 1

We play one up front , we have Mayulu , Armstrong , Bell and Cornick .

If we brought in another we would have an extra body on the bench, then add Earthy and possibly another No.10 ? 
I really don't see it. 

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

If we brought in another we would have an extra body on the bench, then add Earthy and possibly another No.10 ? 
I really don't see it. 

I suppose I was seeing Armstrong as more of a hybrid/wide player and especially important in the press. Bell and Cornick would not fill me with confidence. Like I said, I don't believe we will invest in an additional forward. What we have is perfectly fine for midtable and that's probably where we are headed.

• Like 1

Just now, NDW4CITY said:

I suppose I was seeing Armstrong as more of a hybrid/wide player and especially important in the press. Bell and Cornick would not fill me with confidence. Like I said, I don't believe we will invest in an additional forward. What we have is perfectly fine for midtable and that's probably where we are headed.

We could always hope that if we did bring one in the Cornick could go - just don't see him being anything better than back up.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, NDW4CITY said:

If we're in striking distance in Jan, I'd expect (ok, hope) we'd try to bolster any major weaknesses, to give us the best shot of getting over the line.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NDW4CITY said:

You wouldn't want to have to reply on them as first and 2nd choice , but they are strikers and have played centrally. 
I really think Mayulu and Armstrong could turn out to be very good signings, and good enough to push us towards top 10 if they click. 

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

You wouldn't want to have to reply on them as first and 2nd choice , but they are strikers and have played centrally. 
I really think Mayulu and Armstrong could turn out to be very good signings, and good enough to push us towards top 10 if they click. 

Totally agree on Mayulu and Armstrong.....but just say one of them does a hamstring** and is out for 3 months....all of a sudden doesn't look so great. 

** stranger things have happened 🤣

5 minutes ago, NDW4CITY said:

Totally agree on Mayulu and Armstrong.....but just say one of them does a hamstring** and is out for 3 months....all of a sudden doesn't look so great. 

** stranger things have happened 🤣

If you look at it from the other side, how do you keep a 3rd striker signing happy in a team that plays one up ? 
We have the Academy for desperate situations too. Maybe not ideal , but I don't think you can sign players on the off chance they may play, we could end up with LJ sized squads. Plus if we were to sign someone "just in case" , I think it would be a CB. 

34 minutes ago, NDW4CITY said:

Agreed. Would love to see the new guys start alongside each other …. Just to see what if, mind you Bell alongside one of them…..there’s a thought 🤔

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

If we're in striking distance in Jan, I'd expect (ok, hope) we'd try to bolster any major weaknesses, to give us the best shot of getting over the line.

They say its the hope that kills you! 

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Yes, another 2008 scenario would be disappointing.

3 hours ago, NDW4CITY said:

Thoughts?

Agreed Nakhis days are over Baby bell always injured and cornish well .need back up.

2 hours ago, NDW4CITY said:

The only option I could see us going for is an out of contract free agent player who is around 32-34 who is happy to be a bit part player if required 

Not sure we need that as it stands with what we have at the club. If there is a recall option on SBH then that should be our back up plan if we ended up short in attack

2 minutes ago, JAWS said:

And when junior was in charge after man utd victory & running wolves close 

FFP was a factor at that stage unfortunately- we actually made a record Revenue and a record Loss that season!

However we didn't spend what we could spend very well.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

FFP was a factor at that stage unfortunately- we actually made a record Revenue and a record Loss that season!

However we didn't spend what we could spend very well.

I did think you might put me right on that Pop. But can't imagine Ryan Kent loan was cheap nor Diony. Both actually had a detrimental effect! Totally misjudged. And as you say we hadn't spent well before that. 

Just an all round inefficient and poorly run club from a footballing perspective.

The fact a home grown talent is going to a club in the same division with no greater potential or capital tells its own story and probably sums up.SL's tenure

• Like 2

Just now, JAWS said:

I did think you might put me right on that Pop. But can't imagine Ryan Kent loan was cheap nor Diony. Both actually had a detrimental effect! Totally misjudged. And as you say we hadn't spent well before that. 

Just an all round inefficient and poorly run club from a footballing perspective.

The fact a home grown talent is going to a club in the same division with no greater potential or capital tells its own story and probably sums up.SL's tenure

For sure, what we could spend we didn't spend very well.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Buster Footman's T shirt said:

Not sure we need another. We have 4 and haven't the finances to stockpile players. Also still have SPH. If Cornick goes then possibly scope for one more. But otherwise not imo

Noticed few posts commenting on

' if Cornick goes ' is he for sale ?

1 minute ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Noticed few posts commenting on

' if Cornick goes ' is he for sale ?

Every player has a price if someone is willing to pay! 🤣

Not we'll recoup the full 500k though! 

• Hmmm 1

3 hours ago, pillred said:

Yes, another 2008 scenario would be disappointing.

Our top scorer got single figures that season.

That's a 2008 scenario likely to be repeated this year, I fear.

So I don't think for a second we'll sign another striker once Twine/another 10 is in the building but I can see where the OP is coming from.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, JAWS said:

So what if we sold a home grown player to a club in the same division. Is he the type of striker we need right now and what the head coach wants and needs to fit the playing style? Probably not. It probably reflects the players ambition rather than the clubs. Some fans seem to think TC is some sort of goal machine that we are going to badly miss, his record says otherwise 

Time to move on and let TC forge a career away from City and we will see who came away with the better deal in time 

I’m with those who’ve said it’s the ‘3’ behind the main striker that is key right now and getting more goals across the team. 

I think Armstrong running on to through balls and similar is exciting and Fally is already showing good feet and a willingness to shoot on sight which we haven’t had for a while.

I worry about Wells output in terms of goals and impact but again with a creative ‘3’ then it plays to his strengths 

Hard to judge Bell through the middle as he’s not played there and in the wider positions I just don’t think he offers the high returns we need from those positions to be successful 

So at this point I’d go for no and review in January. All about the ‘3’ for me

I think Cornick may be off on deadline day, no substance but just a hunch. It would be the right move for all. 

Edited by Ashton Fete
  • Like 1

Reading all the above comments, the main point is that we currently play with one up front.

Bit radical this, but from time to time, I'd like us to revert from a 4-2-3-1 formation, and maybe even push the boat out and play 4-1-3-2 !!!

I know - fancy playing two up top !!! But Manning seems a stickler for keeping one up top, although I would say he has tried 2 on the rare occasions (just not with this current batch of players)

We could even go 4-4-2 if we get the right type of winger in or Hirakawa is the business on the wing !

2 hours ago, INCRED said:

So what if we sold a home grown player to a club in the same division. Is he the type of striker we need right now and what the head coach wants and needs to fit the playing style? Probably not. It probably reflects the players ambition rather than the clubs. Some fans seem to think TC is some sort of goal machine that we are going to badly miss, his record says otherwise 

Time to move on and let TC forge a career away from City and we will see who came away with the better deal in time 

On the basis we offered him a new deal & pursued him I'd say yes we did want to keep him. 

But our ambitions clearly don't match ours & I don't blame him.

I think it's our loss & boro's gain sadly 

Just now, JAWS said:

On the basis we offered him a new deal & pursued him I'd say yes we did want to keep him. 

But our ambitions clearly don't match ours & I don't blame him.

I think it's our loss & boro's gain sadly 

Meant our ambitions don't match his. Basically boro are more ambitious and that in itself is sad

4 minutes ago, beaverface said:

Reading all the above comments, the main point is that we currently play with one up front.

Bit radical this, but from time to time, I'd like us to revert from a 4-2-3-1 formation, and maybe even push the boat out and play 4-1-3-2 !!!

I know - fancy playing two up top !!! But Manning seems a stickler for keeping one up top, although I would say he has tried 2 on the rare occasions (just not with this current batch of players)

We could even go 4-4-2 if we get the right type of winger in or Hirakawa is the business on the wing !

Playing one up top is fine if the one up top is a prolific goal scorer and also the number 10 weighs in with a decent amount plus the service is good. 

I don't see any of those at the minute.

2 minutes ago, JAWS said:

Playing one up top is fine if the one up top is a prolific goal scorer and also the number 10 weighs in with a decent amount plus the service is good. 

I don't see any of those at the minute.

...and yet playing two up top can get the best out of players we already have.

Think of Andi Weiman having a great season when played up top, same with Chris Martin and Semenyo. People are saying Cornick has his best days next to a target man at Luton.

Sometimes the partnerships is greater sum of the whole parts compared to the ability of individuals.

15 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I really don't see it. 

IMHO, Cornick, Sykes, Bell & Mehmeti [bit harsh on Anis within this quartet based on this season] are not going to take us to the next level. By that I mean genuine play off contenders. Bearing in mind we've brought in Hirakawa as a first pick wide player, be that right or left, I'd sooner his back up be Morrison & Nelson.

At Blackburn when Hirakawa is fit I could see us lining up like this.

MOL / TANNER, VYNER, DICKIE, PRING / NAISMITH / KNIGHT, BIRD HIRAKAWA, EARTHEY / MAYULU.

Naismith in for his passing ability in front of NOT part of the back 4. This would allow Knight & Bird some freedom to move forward 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

IMHO, Cornick, Sykes, Bell & Mehmeti [bit harsh on Anis within this quartet based on this season] are not going to take us to the next level. By that I mean genuine play off contenders. Bearing in mind we've brought in Hirakawa as a first pick wide player, be that right or left, I'd sooner his back up be Morrison & Nelson.

At Blackburn when Hirakawa is fit I could see us lining up like this.

MOL / TANNER, VYNER, DICKIE, PRING / NAISMITH / KNIGHT, BIRD HIRAKAWA, EARTHEY / MAYULU.

Naismith in for his passing ability in front of NOT part of the back 4. This would allow Knight & Bird some freedom to move forward 

I'm not even sure of the shape , or even the squad we will have by then. Let alone if Yu will be fit, with our recent record I'm taking nothing for granted . 

The only way I see Naismith getting in is as a CB with licence . 
For all his promise it's a lot to put on Earthy to drive our "Promotion push" , of course we may sign another "10" . Which would make things awkward . 

If Sykes finds his form I'd start him over Mehmeti when/if Yu gets fit . I find AM really frustrating , though he did put in a couple of good low crosses Tuesday. 

I would struggle to name for tomorrow, let alone next month. First I'll be glad when the window closes , we will know what we have to use . Then the break should hopefully see us with a pretty much full squad , then we will see how Manning wants to set up. 
As it stands I'd say Wells has been the best option behind the main striker, but his obsession with a genuine 10 may mean Earthy starts tomorrow , big ask of someone who Moyes says needs to bulk/strengthen up . 
I really am interested in how Manning sees the team . He obviously wants that playmaker 10 , but has tried a couple of options with Wells looking good pre season only throw Bird in first game. The Cov game could have been resting Bird or trying Wells again, who knows. That Blackburn game looks like the real starting point of the Season on many levels. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, INCRED said:

The only option I could see us going for is an out of contract free agent player who is around 32-34 who is happy to be a bit part player if required 

There was a player called Weimann recently signed for one of our competitors. Looked decent. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beaverface said:

...and yet playing two up top can get the best out of players we already have.

Think of Andi Weiman having a great season when played up top, same with Chris Martin and Semenyo. People are saying Cornick has his best days next to a target man at Luton.

Sometimes the partnerships is greater sum of the whole parts compared to the ability of individuals.

Totally agree beavs 😉

I'm not Cornicks greatest fan but having bought him at least utilise him properly. He's not an out n out striker nor a wide man. Having watched clips of him at Luton he seemed most effective as a number 10 with a free role. 

• Like 3

Just now, JAWS said:

Totally agree beavs 😉

I'm not Cornicks greatest fan but having bought him at least utilise him properly. He's not an out n out striker nor a wide man. Having watched clips of him at Luton he seemed most effective as a number 10 with a free role. 

And perhaps I'm not his biggest fan cos he isn't played in the right position 🤔 

He wouldn't be the only player to suffer that tbh 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

The sooner Conway goes the better

Think, at the moment he thinks he's better than he actually is, not the most intelligent of players,  he probably thought he was going to get better clubs than actually have, come in for him.

46 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Hey, mine too !

Congrats! My dad took took me to my first game aged 8.It was against Port Vale, played in thick fog and finished 0-0. How the hell did that become a 60 year  obsession? 🤣

3 minutes ago, NDW4CITY said:

Congrats! My dad took took me to my first game aged 8.It was against Port Vale, played in thick fog and finished 0-0. How the hell did that become a 60 year  obsession? 🤣

After several years of "inactivity" I dragged my old man down for the Oldham promotion game, got me hooked and re-invigorated his love for the City !

• Like 1

Just now, megansdad said:

shame that Tommy has now gone and the fact it is to a Championship club really is a failure of management at Ashton Gate no matter which way you look at it.

How do you work out that it's any kind of failure of management.?!

He has been offered contracts & has refused to sign them (which he is absolutely entitled to do) he hasn't even come back with counter offers to negotiate - so he clearly wanted a move elsewhere.

The only thing that his move to another Championship club demonstrates, imo, is that he is nowhere near the level needed to earn a move to the Premier League (yet).

His reasons for leaving are his business - he's conducted himself well/professionally enough around the departure.

It's football - players move for all manner of reasons....

So just sling in a dig at our management seems a rather silly & unfounded excuse to just have a snipe for the sake of it. 

• Like 6
  • Robin 1

"When Tommy goes, I hear violins; 

When Tommy goes, we forget everything  (about him, the little sh1t);

As he's packing his bags,

As he's spreading his wings,

The front door - and the "window" - might slam,

But the back door it rings,

And look: there's Twine with Tins.

When Tommy goes (life will go on)"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Failure to allow that situation to develop and not to have been further ahead in convincing him his best way forward lay with the club. Had he gone to Premiership then that would have been fine. Clearly Middleborough are more attractive to him and that for me is a failure of our management.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, megansdad said:

Failure to allow that situation to develop and not to have been further ahead in convincing him his best way forward lay with the club. Had he gone to Premiership then that would have been fine. Clearly Middleborough are more attractive to him and that for me is a failure of our management.

I think he had every expectation of getting a move to the Prem - but when that didn't come, he had to take what he had got, after burning his bridges here.

I'd definitely put it down to bad advice from his agent than bad management on our part.

He really isn't as good as he seems to think he is.

He will do OK, no doubt - but his time was up here & Fally looks a better player than Conway does anyway.

Our management should be applauded for this transfer window - not slagged off as part of some agenda.

• Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

5 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I think he had every expectation of getting a move to the Prem - but when that didn't come, he had to take what he had got, after burning his bridges here.

I'd definitely put it down to bad advice from his agent than bad management on our part.

He really isn't as good as he seems to think he is.

He will do OK, no doubt - but his time was up here & Fally looks a better player than Conway does anyway.

Our management should be applauded for this transfer window - not slagged off as part of some agenda.

Yet posters like @Ron W have said the opposite to what you think.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, megansdad said:

3+1 could've been but clubs or indeed people can't get everything right at all times.

35 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yet posters like @Ron W have said the opposite to what you think.

I don't know who Ron W is or care really.... I'm just calling it as I see it.

All I see is a pathetic dig at our management because of an agenda.

Our business this summer has been very positive imo & that includes the departure of TC, who didn't want to be here. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

"When Tommy goes, I hear violins; 

When Tommy goes, we forget everything  (about him, the little sh1t);

As he's packing his bags,

As he's spreading his wings,

The front door - and the "window" - might slam,

But the back door it rings,

And look: there's Twine with Tins.

When Tommy goes (life will go on)"

Like Max Bird in flight on a hot sweet night
You know he’s right just to keep it tight