IGNORED

Millwall at home match day thread

Jerseybean

Three new signing each getting on the score sheet has to be a positive sign.

I was impressed with all of them. Armstrong in particular looked a real handful, got an assist on the first and bagged the second. A bit disappointing to see him go off. 

On comes Fally - two goals in two games, a great start to his City career.

Very nerve wracking when 5 added time went up……but City held out thankfully.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mihai said:

Milwall is a much better team than us. Hope we don't relegate, we look very,very bad, worrying.

Chill Mihai...........learn to be patient,  young Jedi.   All will be ok come the end?

19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'd love to see the penalty again.

However buzzing at the result, the spirit..the start wad electric too.

These early goals will do the strikers a lot of good. Both are relatively raw or new so this will be great for confidence.

Atmosphere last 10-15 especially..🔥

Was his chest and nothing else 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Great day thanks Mozo, hope yours likewise.

Thought the ref was a bit ropey really.

It's an been an emotional game but beautiful outcome :w00t:

Yeah I don't moan about refs much, but the oen decision was a disgrace and he was totally inconsistent.

I also though Millwall got the run of the ball a lot. I'm totally biased but that's how it looked to me.

1 minute ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

It's a bit like watching the highlights later - like the Texas Chainsaw massacre- you don't really need to watch it again.

Ha - well, 6 good goals were scored, and the best team won. Watch it!

• Like 1

The most positive for me is last season we’d hear “where are the goals going to come from”.

After that the most important thing for me is we have goal scorers!!!
 Brilliant from the midfield, mistakes at the back, but we know our defence are generally strong, so with Atkinson back at some point, not too concerned, but the way players seemed to stop playing lead to their goals. 

Brilliant first home game better than the Southampton 5-0 game with excellent fan support too. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Great day thanks Mozo, hope yours likewise.

Thought the ref was a bit ropey really.

Got very frustrated with teh ref, could not seem to spot wall constantly jumping with 2 hands on our players shoulders of 2 handed pushes, as for the foul on Armstrong in the corner when he went around the defender joke. Not seen the pen back, but it looked handball but from a long way away, and thought we had a great penalty shout denied. 

When millwall sang no one likes us, they did not include the ref

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

The most positive for me is last season we’d hear “where are the goals going to come from”.

After that the most important thing for me is we have goal scorers!!!
 Brilliant from the midfield, mistakes at the back, but we know our defence are generally strong, so with Atkinson back at some point, not too concerned, but the way players seemed to stop playing lead to their goals. 

Brilliant first home game better than the Southampton 5-0 game with excellent fan support too. 

That Southampton 5:0 gets better with every passing week/mention ....

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, prankerd said:

The manager sets up the team and gives instructions...he messed up in the 2nd half clearly by the team letting in 3 goals in 10 mins...

You can't praise the manager for us coming back to win 4-3.. 

I’m clearly a huge Manning critic. You can criticise him as much as you like for the fall from 2-0 to 3-2. It looked like another case where the opponents changed at half time and he didn’t.

However, he then made changes which worked and got the momentum back, whilst Harris took off their most dangerous player. You have to give Manning credit for that. First time that I’ve seen him make changes which positively impacted a game, so there’s hope.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Got very frustrated with teh ref, could not seem to spot wall constantly jumping with 2 hands on our players shoulders of 2 handed pushes, as for the foul on Armstrong in the corner when he went around the defender joke. Not seen the pen back, but it looked handball but from a long way away, and thought we had a great penalty shout denied. 

When millwall sang no one likes us, they did not include the ref

He certainly didn't give us much..Millwall played him well, but happily we powered through and won anyway.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Wow!

You can't see the fake news handball but you can tell Watmore doesn't even know why the pen was given. Then minutes later Watmore scores a worldie tbf.

You can't play a team with Watmore and Honeyman without expecting a bit of quality, but it was Esse who gave us problems.

Cam Pring on the Esse goal - very weak defending, and Vyner not got his eye on the ball to block the shot.

The one-two for our equaliser is perfect and finish exquisite. 

Edited by mozo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mozo said:

Wow!

You can't see the fake news handball but you can tell Watmore doesn't even know why the pen was given. Then minutes later Watmore scores a world tbf.

You can't play a team with Watmore and Honeyman without expecting a bit of quality, but it was Esse who gave us problems.

Cam Pring on the Esse goal - very weak defending, and Vyner not got his eye on the ball to block the shot.

The one-two for our equaliser is perfect and finish exquisite. 

Pring should’ve been stronger for the Esse goal but it’s still a great effort as was the third. Still need to tighten up at the back mind.

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

I give you August 1970

Bristol City 4-3 Sunderland 

I think the scoring went the same way too....I can't quite remember ! ( I of course mean can't remember this one )🤣

I thought it was heading for City 3 Millwall 3 1971…glad you were right!

2 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Pring should’ve been stronger for the Esse goal but it’s still a great effort as was the third. Still need to tighten up at the back mind.

I think we are capable of better in all thirds, but I'm sure Millwall are too

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

I’m clearly a huge Manning critic. You can criticise him as much as you like for the fall from 2-0 to 3-2. It looked like another case where the opponents changed at half time and he didn’t.

However, he then made changes which worked and got the momentum back, whilst Harris took off their most dangerous player. You have to give Manning credit for that. First time that I’ve seen him make changes which positively impacted a game, so there’s hope.

I think it’s because for the first time he has the personal to be able to do that - the game is all about squads now , if we can keep all fit the longer into the season it goes the more we could benefit, 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

Unbelievable.  NOT.  

This is the real Bristol City.

Manning had better turn this round or he is going to find himself in serious hot water very soon

AND he did well done Manning and the subs

Unbelievable game!

8/10 performance except for 15 minutes after HT

My god what a player Bird is!

Kudos to Fally and Armstrong. When Twine and Earthy came on there was so much flow to our play in the final 3rd, where it counts.

in the interests of continuous improvement, think Dickie is not quite back up to last season’s level yet and Mehmeti gave the ball away way too much, but regardless ,well done the lads!

• Like 5

Well that game made me feel furious and ecstatic in equal measure. We started well, got the 2-0 and then became increasingly lethargic before falling apart in the first part of the second half. Credit to Manning for the substitutions which helped us wrestle back control of the game and get the win. Absolutely buzzing  to get the three points in the end, and we certainly had entertainment this afternoon  

Positives:

Mayulu’s finishing looks excellent and both he and Armstrong give us presence up front. 
Twine was fully involved when he came on and got the winner. 
Bird looks like a class act. 
Earthy looked hungry and lively. 

• Like 2

No words, I have no voice but the old guy in the S22 front row trying to put the Millwall keeper off all 2nd half, you’re so lucky, he was onto you also, thank **** City brang it back, what a game

42 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Chill Mihai...........learn to be patient,  young Jedi.   All will be ok come the end?

I am not that young anymore. This team made me grow white hair after these 18 years of watching. All I want is a good start of a campaign and try to keep it balanced through the season. I am tired of 3 succesive wins and then 5 defeats. When I see Ipswich in PL, I get even more white hair.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, prankerd said:

The manager sets up the team and gives instructions...he messed up in the 2nd half clearly by the team letting in 3 goals in 10 mins...

You can't praise the manager for us coming back to win 4-3.. 

I think the jury still out for me. He didn't manage the Coventry game well & was out witted by Robins. We did well to get a 2 goal lead but not totally convincing & it was obvious that they would regroup at ht & do something to pull the game around. Their tactics for the 2nd half would be based on how city were set up & played in the first. So maybe do something different at that point to throw a curve ball in & scupper their plans. Especially given the quality we had on the bench. We see games swing at half time because the team in the ascendency doesn't change even though some warning signs are there. Having been 2 up we shouldnt then be in the position of chasing the game against an average/poor side.

We do have quality players & obviously the timely addition of twine got us out of jail and more often that not we will do ok because our players are decent but can we do better? Obviously the manner of the victory is great & the beer will go down well tonight but I'm yet to be convinced by Manning's in game management.

1 hour ago, TheReds said:

The worst thing about it is Tanner didn't even complain about it whatsoever from what I seen, he should have went mental. Then it seemed our heads dropped even more.

Yes, because refs change their mind on penalties all the time don't they.

He did what he should have - he complained - then got on with it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jimbo76 said:

If Carlsberg did football days.....

Took my whole family to Bristol for the weekend.

My eldest was a mascot and had an amazing day. 

The game had everything you could want. 

The sun was shining. 

It's my birthday tomorrow. 

Honestly,  what a day.

Me and my two boys (and even my wife) had the best day. 

This is one of those days that makes you keep coming back for the sh*t days.

😁😁😁😁😁😁

Amazing, mate, I love that!!

Just to add that Cardiff are bottom after another pasting.

(Also enjoying that Sheffield Utd and Leeds still haven't won a game).

:city:

1 hour ago, Red said:

The game should never have gotten to the point of losing. Half time there should have been changes. Yeah easy to say that now but this is where Manning was pussy footing about. 

You sound like the guy sat near me , half time seemed happy good performance etc , no praise for LM , 65 minutes gone Manning is crap got no idea all his fault , tactically inept etc , then great finish and it’s a great win , players did it regardless of the manager 

He brought on the subs who changed it and we really went for it, so he needs praise for that , as far as subs at half time? We were 2-0 up and playing well , no one would have expected changes ? 

• Like 2

I’ve just realised that I didn’t watch City today as this sort of match just doesn’t happen. Instead I somehow passed into a parallel universe or an online version of a fantasy football league. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

I am so glad we were able to waste time at the end. That was dreadful from their keeper and players when they went 3 2 up with 20 minutes to go. 

Yeah, Neil Harris was taking the p1ss moaning about our time wasting wasn't he. What a belter.

Edited by Sleepy1968
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Graham76 said:

Earthy demanding passes was great to see. Clearly confident in his own ability. 

I'd like to see his shot back, I didn't have a great view, but thought he was gonna score.

Did he hit it with his right foot, and is he right or left footed anyone know?

4 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Felt he was visibly tiring imo

I didn’t get the impression that he was tiring and would like to have seen a few more mins of him. That said I understand completely by Manning replaced him with Fally. Good give new signings mins in a competitive match.

Many of us would love to see them as a partnership but Manning rarely, if ever plays  two up top.

1 hour ago, TV Tom said:

We're mega, I'm sat in O'Neis in town and outside are thee Japanese looking lads in City shirts !!! 

I saw two or three groups of Japanese looking chaps in Yu City shirts at the ground, in the pub after, etc, today too!

• Like 1

That was an absolute roller coaster and I’m exhausted now ! Thoroughly enjoyable match and of course the right outcome.

Offensively we were superb, but unusually we were vulnerable at the back.

After today with the options we now have I am very optimistic for the coming season ahead. 

Strap yourselves in for the ride !

That's the sort of game that can have a manager tearing his hair out. Great spectacle but both sides were too open too often. 

We started brilliantly with Armstrong running them ragged and giving them merry hell. I thought Mehmeti was going to mess up the chance presented to him by Armstrong but all credit he composed himself and tucked the chance away. 9 minutes later Sinclair found himself in oceans of space to head home Max Birds cross and we seemed in control. I say seemed as I don't how their guy missed on the back stick hitting the inside of his far post and it rolling back to Max. 

2nd half and we decide to self implode as Cam Pring gets caught on the wrong side of the ball twice leading to a goal for Esse and a penalty for handball against George Tanner which Bradshaw converts. Millwall joy seems complete as Duncan Whatmore volleys home as, we fail to clear a routine cross. 

Enter supersub Fally Mayulu who plays a delightful 1-2 with Max Bird before divinely slotting home and our joy now is complete when Twine volleys home from close range after good work by Earthy and Bird. 

The signings this summer are buzzing with Armstrong getting a goal and an assist, a goal each for Mayulu and Twine, and two assists for Bird (my Man of the Match). On top of that in a brief 10 minute cameo I was impressed with George Earthy who also nearly got on the score sheet. An amazing afternoon. 

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

3 minutes ago, PortInTheMorning said:

What a player!

Very good player and Prem potential. 

I actually thought we started the second half brightly. We were on the front foot and pressing high. That one move from Esse just flipped the script.

I know football fans have a very reactive short term view nowadays, but reading back through this thread was very entertaining 🤣

Clearly Manning will have to pick the bones out of that 20 minutes but plenty of positives and so important for our new strikers to be off the mark so early. 

Have a good night everyone, definitely one to enjoy!! 

• Like 3