IGNORED

Millwall at home match day thread

Jerseybean

2 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

My mum and dad have got the kids for the weekend. The wife and I have thrown the tent into the back of the car and sodded off camping for the weekend. I'm sitting in the warm sunshine drinking Blackthorn Reserve listening to 5 Live. 

The lads win 4-3

My adopted home of Walsall smash Swindle 4-0 and Albert scores

If this Saturday could get any better I want to know how. 

🤣

Ask Rudolph 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

I’ll give you that. What I’m not having is idiots claiming the players don’t care and weren’t trying. Yes, we were shambolic for 15-20 minutes but that can be analysed another day. Lack of effort had **** all to do with it. More like misguided effort.

What we wanted was entertainment and we got it in spades. Armstrong was a beast, Bird was immense and Fally class. The link up with Bird and the finish had Premier League written all over it. Tonight is about a few beers and enjoy a brilliant comeback win playing some real quality football AT TIMES.

I think the majority of fans inside the ground realised that too.  It felt a different atmosphere in the crowd, they didn’t get on the players backs.  At least that is how it felt to me.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, SomeRandomBristolian said:

This is why I love live football. The game today was pure entertainment. This is something you don't get watching it on Sky. To experience it live is the real excitment. YOU REDS!! 

I was saying to the person next to me, I just want to be entertained by our players/team as the past 4/5 years has been turgid, boring and I stopped coming to the games

I also said, I would much prefer an exciting 4-3 win than a boring 1-0 win. We both had a chuckle at the final whistle 😗 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think the majority of fans inside the ground realised that too.  It felt a different atmosphere in the crowd, they didn’t get on the players backs.  At least that is how it felt to me.

I’m not pissing about, I literally sat there at 3-2 thinking “we’ve got enough time to win this”.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What. A. Win.

What. A. Match Day Thread 🤣🤣🤣

I really enjoyed the whole game.  I thought Millwall played their part.

We were really good opening 15-20, but Millwall eased their way into the game, and we went at h-t pribsbly a bit fortunate to be 2-goals up.

I actually thought our intensity first 5 after half time was excellent, but Esse got a bit of a break off of Pring to reduce the deficit, and it was a different game then.

But even during the Millwall goals, we still played.  It didn’t seem a forlorn Hope like it usually is, where Millwall suck the life out of the game and the clock flies by.

There were some bloody good goals out there today.

I think Dave that given a good few players are new into the team then that bodes well if they can gel as one even more in the future. Big bonus for me is winning several bets with Millwall mates who are all spitting chips this evening. Sorry lads but my turn to brag.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

9 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Conway gone

Armstrong, Fally, Bird, Earthy and Twine in.

Brilliant business. We look SO much better going forward with these players.

Conway who ?

Can remember the Millwall game last season… awful game, crap atmosphere bloody cold and miserable,  Conway getting bullied upfront and conceding an injury time winner.
What a different game this was!! Great to see some strength up front. I did feel we let them back in the game at 2-0. From 20 minutes to half time.

Why do we seem to concede so many 45-60 minutes?

At the time I was concerned with the subs taking Armstrong off and also a winger off worried we would go to narrow and not create and just go from side to side. How wrong was I….

We have so many players now that can make things happen. Our third goal wow!! Twine to get the winner it was like a fairy tail… Also what a great atmosphere!! That’s what I call getting bums off seats 😂

Edited by Red Army 79
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What. A. Win.

What. A. Match Day Thread 🤣🤣🤣

I really enjoyed the whole game.  I thought Millwall played their part.

We were really good opening 15-20, but Millwall eased their way into the game, and we went at h-t pribsbly a bit fortunate to be 2-goals up.

I actually thought our intensity first 5 after half time was excellent, but Esse got a bit of a break off of Pring to reduce the deficit, and it was a different game then.

But even during the Millwall goals, we still played.  It didn’t seem a forlorn Hope like it usually is, where Millwall suck the life out of the game and the clock flies by.

There were some bloody good goals out there today.

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Great comments Fevs 💟

There were 14 minutes between the Watmore screamer and Fally's equaliser, and what an important period that was. Millwall were still highly competitive, but we managed to get a grip on the game in that little spell.

Our subs had come on and we conceded 2 minutes later, so for them be composed enough to show quality in the remainder of the game is a big plus.

It think this game is better than a pedestrian 2-0 win at this stage of the season. It keeps us alert, but also enforces that message of 'never say die'.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Got very frustrated with teh ref, could not seem to spot wall constantly jumping with 2 hands on our players shoulders of 2 handed pushes, as for the foul on Armstrong in the corner when he went around the defender joke. Not seen the pen back, but it looked handball but from a long way away, and thought we had a great penalty shout denied. 

When millwall sang no one likes us, they did not include the ref

Your forum name has never been so apt.  He was more like “shit that’s dried in the sun and then you stand in it and all the stench comes out..ref again” 😉

28 minutes ago, Corsham Alf said:

That was an absolute roller coaster and I’m exhausted now ! Thoroughly enjoyable match and of course the right outcome.

Offensively we were superb, but unusually we were vulnerable at the back.

After today with the options we now have I am very optimistic for the coming season ahead. 

Strap yourselves in for the ride !

It’s possible we might have to get used to it.

The gap behind Pring and down the side of Dickie has been apparent since Willem, when we stepped up the quality of opponent.  Vyner is protected by Tanner being less adventurous to an extent.  I thought Vyner played well, his covering of the left half of the pitch when needed was good.  And although Dickie got exposed, his aerial display, mainly against Cooper was very good.  Cooper hardly won anything from their set-plays.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I’m not pissing about, I literally sat there at 3-2 thinking “we’ve got enough time to win this”.

Bloke who sits next to me said “good game to win 4-3” when Whatmore scored.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He was more like “shit that’s dried in the sun and then you stand in it and all the stench comes out..ref again” 😉

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm guessing the ref is not your favourite person

Credit where it's due, that Whatmore finish was special. Yes he was unmarked but it was more his skill than poor defending imo.

With it never being a pen in a million years and the ref giving everything to Millwall maybe our defending wasn't the main reason for them scoring three goals.

• Like 2

The drop off at the start of second halves need to improve, we can't keep waiting to react to opposition making tactical changes and conceding momentum of the game.

Does seem to be a theme under Liam, thankfully the subs made the difference. It won't always work like that. 

Don't care where he plays, Bird starts. 

Fally first time finish again, guy has got ice in his veins. Whole team did well apart from that shaky middle part of the game.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I give you August 1970

Bristol City 4-3 Sunderland 

I think the scoring went the same way too....I can't quite remember ! ( I of course mean can't remember this one )🤣

And Sunderland played in very similar coloured shirts.

37 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The fans (mostly) aren't daft.

We actually started the 2nd half fine. They then;

Score a decent individual goal;

Get a more than dubious penalty; & finally

Score a screamer.

The flip side is that they really should have scored in the 1st half when Cam was napping & they hit the post.  Thought Cam was not at his best today but overall way more positives than negatives.

With the emotion of the late comeback, it's easy to overlook Sincs has a goal & an assist (I'm ignoring the official stats).  Fally looks class but I'm sure he be benefits from coming om against a defence that has been run ragged by Sincs for an hour or so.

I'm a bit old school & would love to see Sinclair & Fally in tandem, but not sure that will happen. 

I'm also a sucker for the underdog so was pleased for Williams & Sykes, who I thought had his best game in ages. Whilst he isn't the easiest one the eye he puts a massive shift in.

MoM was clear though, Max Bird was outstanding. A proper midfielder who I'm sure would play well as a 6, 8, 10 or whatever No midfielders are meant to wear.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, TDarwall said:

MoM was clear though, Max Bird was outstanding. A proper midfielder who I'm sure would play well as a 6, 8, 10 or whatever No midfielders are meant to wear.

But surely 8 against 11 would be a disadvantage to us.

2 hours ago, TheReds said:

Yes 100%, I seen a replay and the Millwall comms even said that hit his chest. His hand was out though but no way the ref could have seen it hit his hand because it didn't, he reacted to the Millwall appeals. The worst thing about it is Tanner didn't even complain about it whatsoever from what I seen, he should have went mental. Then it seemed our heads dropped even more.

Yet he protested vehemently earlier in the second half, when a free kick was given against him for a foul just outside our box.

It was a foul and the free kick was quite justified.

But for the (unjustified) penalty?

Not the slightest reaction. 

16 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

The drop off at the start of second halves need to improve, we can't keep waiting to react to opposition making tactical changes and conceding momentum of the game.

Does seem to be a theme under Liam, thankfully the subs made the difference. It won't always work like that. 

Don't care where he plays, Bird starts. 

Fally first time finish again, guy has got ice in his veins. Whole team did well apart from that shaky middle part of the game.

Ice in the veins, Mayulu’s his name 🔥

26 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Galley hat trick, Chrisy and Emanuel.........I was there !

Russ

Did you get the programme with a picture postcard inside with an aerial view of Hillsborough ? Still got mine in the attic somewhere 

13 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Yet he protested vehemently earlier in the second half, when a free kick was given against him for a foul just outside our box.

It was a foul and the free kick was quite justified.

But for the (unjustified) penalty?

Not the slightest reaction. 

I think he was in a state of shock 

1 hour ago, Banjo Island said:

I think i went to early on this one

Large slice of humble pie for you my friend , you could end up a very fat lad by the end of the season if there are many more games like that 

1 minute ago, Club and Country said:

Quite low in comparison to previous seasons?

With performances / games like that I can see that rising by a few thousand easily 

think next weeks will be decent Cov will sell out for starters 

3 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

I messaged a WhatsApp group and said “there’s still goals in this”, I think you’re right at 3-2 I was in disbelief but didn’t think it was over 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Club and Country said:

Quite low in comparison to previous seasons?

Was a lot of space in the lansdown it seemed.

I get it’s the shiny new stand and it’s a premium view, but I think they’ve got the pricing all wrong. £15 (member) to sit in the dolman today but had to sit on my own because there was only single seats about that in that price range, but it was £36 across the pitch.

Think we’d have got more in if that was better priced? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TV Tom said:

Did you get the programme with a picture postcard inside with an aerial view of Hillsborough ? Still got mine in the attic somewhere 

No, I'd given up on away programs by then, they always seemed to get lobbed out of the train window after yet another loss !:grr:

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, southside said:

Grange Court?, we would have been there the previous month 

Yes pretty sure it was! We used to go there pretty much every year apart from one time my parents decided to take a walk on the wild side and go to Butlins Bognor Regis :laugh:.

small world!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Galley hat trick, Chrisy and Emanuel.........I was there !

I was sat in the Grandstand at AG that afternoon, part of a decent crowd watching the reserves, as my brother and I did most weekends when City were away because, during breaks in play, they’d give out score updates from the first team. Back then, there was no Herbie Gilliam radio commentary or indeed any way of finding out the score until it finally appeared via the teleprinter on Grandstand. Of course, we didn’t find out the scorers until the Green’Un arrived.

That particular afternoon there was amazement as the announcements came through. It was possibly the last time I heard a loudspeaker announcement at AG. 

• Haha 1

Well that was a blur for two reasons. One, probably had a little too much before the game ( which begs the question why I’m awake )  and Two,what  an emotional rollercoaster. 

I thought after a good 15 miniutes we were ok until half time. Some nice play, but over playing at times. 
Then the 20 minute spell after just left me speechless. It was an utter car crash and I couldn’t really understand what I was seing. I’m glad I wasn’t posting on here I no doubt looked stupid after 90 minutes. 
To turn it back round again must give us great confidence going forward though. Our equaliser was a thing of beauty. 

Bird is ridiculously good. I can’t imagine anyone thought he was going to be as good as he’s been. Just looks so calm on the ball. Makes some very good runs going forward too. 
Armstrong and Fally making me look like an idiot for worrying about goals. 
Joe “ can’t cross “ Williams was back at it today and an assist to boot. 
I think George Earthy is going to be a player for us too. Wanted the ball, moved it quick.

What a great day. Anyway I’m going back to bed. Looking forward to catching the highlights later and watching them 45889842 times. 

Oh yeh, the ref was a *** 

Edited by Jose
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, Wanderingred said:

When was the last time we threw away a two goal lead and still won? Port Vale in 2002 with Leroy Lita scoring a last minute winner is the one that springs to mind.

Can’t recall a two goal lead but last season at home to Hull we went 2-1 down before winning 3-2.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Coach said:

Can’t recall a two goal lead but last season at home to Hull we went 2-1 down before winning 3-2.

The comeback game I remember was late 60s/early 70s at home v Orient.

IIRC we went in at half time 3-0 down but ran out 5-3 winners!

Can't recall such a topsy turvy game as yesterday's though .

• Like 2

Just now, downendcity said:

The comeback game I remember was late 60s/early 70s at home v Orient.

IIRC we went in at half time 3-0 down but ran out 5-3 winners!

Can't recall such a topsy turvy game as yesterday's though .

Despite heart rate up and down like a rollercoaster. It’s nice to wake up and feel happy after 3 points! 

Just maybe not in that manner too much however.

13 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I give you August 1970

Bristol City 4-3 Sunderland 

I think the scoring went the same way too....I can't quite remember ! ( I of course mean can't remember this one )🤣

City 5-3 Leyton Orient October 1971.

1-3 down before a Galley (rhymes with Fally) hat trick. :)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

When was the last time we threw away a two goal lead and still won? Port Vale in 2002 with Leroy Lita scoring a last minute winner is the one that springs to mind.

Middlesbrough last season in Manning's first home game.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1