IGNORED

Millwall at home match day thread

Jerseybean

3 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Middlesbrough last season in Manning's first home game.

Can’t believe I forgot about a game that happened so recently! I swear I remember games from 89-90 better than I do games from last season…

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I remember that game , but not sure JG got a hat trick ?

That's how I remember it, maybe not. I think we were 2 down and then Dickie Rooks I think pulled one back? Then they made it 1-3. I remember my dad saying not to worry because we were going to turn it around as long as we kept playing the same way, and having doubts about his sanity. :)

17 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Great final result, but to misquote Admiral Beatty - There was something wrong with our bloody defence today. 

There is something wrong with your total disdain for the manager team club, and even now you cannot show any real support without a caveat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

That's how I remember it, maybe not. I think we were 2 down and then Dickie Rooks I think pulled one back? Then they made it 1-3. I remember my dad saying not to worry because we were going to turn it around as long as we kept playing the same way, and having doubts about his sanity. :)

Yes, remember Rooks' goal, but still not sure about a hat trick, but willing to be proved wrong .😎

32 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Watching the highlights back. The run from Twine for his goal was excellent. Instinct 

Came on here to make the same comment. That type of late run into to the box is exactly what the team has been missing!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

City 5-3 Leyton Orient October 1971.

1-3 down before a Galley (rhymes with Fally) hat trick. :)

Bit early but ...

🎶 Fally , Fally, Fally, Fally 🎶

🎶 He is the king of the West Country .🎶

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

4 hours ago, downendcity said:

The comeback game I remember was late 60s/early 70s at home v Orient.

IIRC we went in at half time 3-0 down but ran out 5-3 winners!

Can't recall such a topsy turvy game as yesterday's though .

Was that a midweek afternoon match due to the power cuts?

Or, coincidentally, was that midweek afternoon match against Millwall?

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

I remember that game , but not sure JG got a hat trick ?

I was there also with my Sisters boyfriend (Sid was his name or Big Chief Sitting Bull when dressed in his Pontins garb) who was an Orient fan. He was giving it large at halftime but shut right up during the 2nd half. Not sure that Galley got a hat trick either but at the time didn't care. Dickie Rookes got it back to 3-1 just before half time from memory.

Edited by BigTone
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

We won't be last game on the highlights show tonight!

This means we are making progress.

Well done the City.

We nearly were, yet weirdly the commentator called it the Championships game of the day.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I give you August 1970

Bristol City 4-3 Sunderland 

I think the scoring went the same way too....I can't quite remember ! ( I of course mean can't remember this one )🤣

We were 3-1 down at one point, which was a fantastic game.

56 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Was that a midweek afternoon match due to the power cuts?

Or, coincidentally, was that midweek afternoon match against Millwall?

I'm sure the Orient game was a Saturday as I was in the open end where the comeback goals were scored.

I was at school in '71 so wouldn't have been able to go to an midweek afternoon game.

Think the power cuts were in '73 and precipitated the '74 general election.

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I'm sure the Orient game was a Saturday as I was in the open end where the comeback goals were scored.

I was at school in '71 so wouldn't have been able to go to an midweek afternoon game.

it was defo on Saturday.  We were in the Dolman. 

• Like 1

I tried to knock off for the Millwall game. I had no money so went home to try and find some but couldn't .
Gutted when I saw the score later. 

The Sunderland 4-3 was my first game and went on the East End, couldn't see a thing 🤣 I do remember the Sunderland fans being chased out of the EE though.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I’m pretty sure that the match to which I am referring was on a Tuesday afternoon.

I was also at school, but Tuesdays were half days and I walked to Ashton Gate with some school friends.

Just now, PHILINFRANCE said:

I’m pretty sure that the match to which I am referring was on a Tuesday afternoon.

I was also at school, but Tuesdays were half days and I walked to Ashton Gate with some school friends.

It would have been a long walk from school for me - Chipping Sodbury!

3 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Game was on Oct 23rd 1971 which was a Saturday

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

After we'd just beaten Leeds...........Fear hat trick !

I had to look it up, but it was Tuesday 26 February 1974 and we beat Millwall 5-2.

I am convinced it was an afternoon match, even though it was on a Tuesday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I had to look it up, but it was Tuesday 26 February 1974 and we beat Millwall 5-2.

Different game, different date, different year, but a result all the same !!! COYR

10 minutes ago, pillred said:

October 23rd 1971 was a Saturday.

As I mentioned earlier, whilst I attended the LO match, I also recalled a similar high scoring match played on a midweek afternoon due to the strikes at the time.

I have now checked, and I believe the match to which I was referring was, coincidentally, also against Millwall, on Tuesday 26 February 1974 - we won 5-2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Yeah, power cut  game, 9000 crowd

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Always the gap between tickets sold and actual in attendance.

The latter tends to be published by Clubs.

In the olden days announced attendances were sometimes far lower than what appeared to be in the ground. This was in the days when entry was paid in cash and many cynical fans would say that this was due to a bit of dodgy tax avoidance. I wouldn’t, of course, dream of making such an accusation 

• Flames 1

8 hours ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Thoroughly entertaining game thanks to 2 sides really going for it. One game doesn’t make a season but the attacking intent we showed gives me hope for a decent season. Teams like Ipswich and Brentford in recent times seemed to go for it game after game, not looking to just get a goal and sit back. Whilst it can occasionally cost a team my belief is if you have the attacking intent and some real quality then you will win a lot more than you lose and most importantly you will keep the fans backing.At 3-3 I was discussing with people around me that win, lose or draw it had been a cracking game. City fans know all too well that 2-0 is never enough for us but when you are at the game enjoying a day out you can generally take it and laugh it off with those around you but sat home alone you just don’t get that the banter and everything was doom and gloom on OTIB again I see.

Best of all I took my new foster boy for his first league game. He doesn’t yet speak English and we communicate mostly by Google translate thus far but the shear excitement of the day overcame any language difficulties as football always does. I now know the Turkish for “Get the **** in”. Happy days !

Does Google translate manage useful phrases such as “Ow bist me babber” and “Don’t tell I tell ee”?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

When was the last time we threw away a two goal lead and still won? Port Vale in 2002 with Leroy Lita scoring a last minute winner is the one that springs to mind.

This was a fantastic comeback. 4-2 down with 3 minutes to play and won 5-4

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Thoroughly entertaining game thanks to 2 sides really going for it. One game doesn’t make a season but the attacking intent we showed gives me hope for a decent season. Teams like Ipswich and Brentford in recent times seemed to go for it game after game, not looking to just get a goal and sit back. Whilst it can occasionally cost a team my belief is if you have the attacking intent and some real quality then you will win a lot more than you lose and most importantly you will keep the fans backing.At 3-3 I was discussing with people around me that win, lose or draw it had been a cracking game. City fans know all too well that 2-0 is never enough for us but when you are at the game enjoying a day out you can generally take it and laugh it off with those around you but sat home alone you just don’t get that the banter and everything was doom and gloom on OTIB again I see.

Best of all I took my new foster boy for his first league game. He doesn’t yet speak English and we communicate mostly by Google translate thus far but the shear excitement of the day overcame any language difficulties as football always does. I now know the Turkish for “Get the **** in”. Happy days !

Can't beat a dört üç win from behind.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

As I mentioned earlier, whilst I attended the LO match, I also recalled a similar high scoring match played on a midweek afternoon due to the strikes at the time.

I have now checked, and I believe the match to which I was referring was, coincidentally, also against Millwall, on Tuesday 26 February 1974 - we won 5-2.

Yep, saw that and as I said in a previous post it was a bonus that we won. Fair play

10 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

When was the last time we threw away a two goal lead and still won? Port Vale in 2002 with Leroy Lita scoring a last minute winner is the one that springs to mind.

It depends.

If you mean 2-0, 2-3, 4-3 really dunno.

If you mean 2-0, 2-2, 3-2..last Year vs Middlesbrough in the first Home game of Manning.

11 hours ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Fair play and total respect to you for fostering a Turkish lad.  To subject the poor lad to a City game is also admirable.

5 hours ago, downendcity said:

i was there - definitely a saturday 

3 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Well I converted 2 Albanian lads to Robins (pre Mehmeti) we just need a Turkish player now

Well done Sir. Are they now seeing therapists ?

Edited by BigTone
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Watching the highlights back. The run from Twine for his goal was excellent. Instinct 

Not just that but also Earthys and Williams positioning in the build up.

The ball got played back to the edge of the centre circle. At that time Earthy was almost on the edge of the D. 

Earthy then sprints over to the RW position to make himself available in space to recieve the pass from Williams. Earthy then does a little dribble whilst Williams positions himself well to recieve the perfect pass from Earthy. 

Great team goal. 

• Like 1

The dummy from Bird for Fally's goal is great. Watching the highlights there is a similar dummy in the build up to Sincs goal, think it may have been Sykes on that occasion, but not sure, however certainly looks like a training ground move.

3 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Which, of course, was the reason the FA Cup replay the previous week away at Leeds, which I also attended, was also played in the afternoon.

Borstal wouldn't allow us time off for such things.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Remember a young and talented Gordon Hill playing for them that afternoon.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1