IGNORED

Millwall at home match day thread

Jerseybean

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Earthy you can kinda maybe understand. 

But Twine should have just been thrown in. He's familiar with us and our players and Manning. 

But not the game plan in and out of possession, how we've trained to overcome Millwall etc. One thing we do know about Liam is he does meticulous planning with every session planned for countering the opposition and making sure everybody is drilled in their job. It would be out of character for him to change anything at such a late stage.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Shocking from Manning there. Hope he doesn’t regret it. 

Bottle job from Manning. Is he another Southgate? 

2nd greatest manager in his sides history?

I'd love for him to be a Southgate for us

• Like 13
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I actually thought Twine would start. 

So did I, didn't expect to see Earthy start but certainly expected Twine as he's had a pre-season and played in friendly games and knows the set up. But as @CodeRed said, he's missed the build up to this game and LM isn't the type to change things last minute.

Just now, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Re Twine: Does a player have to be registered by a certain time on a Friday to get playing time on a Saturday?

Considering he's on the bench he must have been registered in time.

I'd imagine it's a case of Manning having made a game plan for this one, and not wanting to change it at the last minute to incorporate a new player

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, HOZDA said:

Twine and Earthy on the bench! Don't think many predicted that 😯

I thought it might happen, makes sense, only signed recently might not even have trained with the team, how would the players would played last week feel if dropped already 

1 minute ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Re Twine: Does a player have to be registered by a certain time on a Friday to get playing time on a Saturday?

If that was the case with Twine, he wouldn't be allowed on the bench either. Seems to me it's just Manning being a dick.

• Facepalm 5

You can’t say that Manning isn't giving the likes of Sykes and Williams a fair crack after poor performances at Hull, I really thought they would be hooked for his new signings! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

But Twine should have just been thrown in. He's familiar with us and our players and Manning. 

He’s not totally to be fair. From a limited sample we’ve played slightly stylistically differently this year, and Armstrong is very much a different type of player to Conway. He’s also not even trained with Bird so that’s 2 of his 5 “key relationships” in a tweaked system. The starting from the bench is completely justifiable whether people think it’s the right or wrong call.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, RollsRoyce said:

This must be the lowest number of home produced academy players in a squad in years. Just 2 , Vyner and Max. 

Get used to it (and waits for someone to sound the Pring klaxon erroneously). We’ve now got pretty much two senior players (debate/discuss quality vs depth for each position) so breaking through from the academy is very unlikely. 

(Avoidance of doubt: not saying that’s a bad thing, it’s just the reality)

Add on Liams historic reticence across jobs to blood academy prospects, and the fact our “batch” are more in the 18s and I’d be surprised if we saw any academy debuts other than in dead rubbers this year.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

He’s not totally to be fair. From a limited sample we’ve played slightly stylistically differently this year, and Armstrong is very much a different type of player to Conway. He’s also not even trained with Bird so that’s 2 of his 5 “key relationships” in a tweaked system. The starting from the bench is completely justifiable whether people think it’s the right or wrong call.

Totally agree, and think it’s a sensible and correct decision, great to have that option to bring them on, once they can see the way the game’s panning out.

• Like 2

Just now, Silvio Dante said:

Get used to it (and waits for someone to sound the Pring klaxon erroneously). We’ve now got pretty much two senior players (debate/discuss quality vs depth for each position) so breaking through from the academy is very unlikely. 

Add on Liams historic reticence across jobs to blood academy prospects, and the fact our “batch” are more in the 18s and I’d be surprised if we saw any academy debuts other than in dead rubbers this year.

What’s all this klaxon nonsense?

21 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Hmm how twine or earthy doesn't start in that number 10 with bird along side knight and Williams dropped to the bench I will never know!

Standard football practice to start a player or players who have signed 24 or 48 hours previously as substitute nothing for you or the others to moan about. Enjoy the game if you can.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Did Tommy come on?

in the 76th or somthing, hehe

Leeds WBA 0-0 draw, good also now we just have to do teh business against the Wall and BOOM!

CMON CITY!!!!!!

Edited by CiderHider
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Silvio Dante said:

Yes sorry I missed Cam . So a 50 percent improvement on where I thought we were . 

We made such a big thing about the squad composition from home grown , just a year ago .

things change and the club are reverting back to the historical approach of signing lots of players. It is a shame it has changed so quickly . But they must feel the academy is not the producing right now players who can get the results they want today. As soon as they get money to spend they forget the academy . 

Remember Managers live or die by their matchday decisions.  Starting with the 11 chosen and then the tactical changes, using the bench.

We can judge all this at final whistle 

PS Just hope Mannimg has got it all right.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

One decent crossfield pass from what I saw but didn`t notice him otherwise.

He's a good player he will get them 10 goals over the season, and i aint even mad anymore, good deal for City, and he needed to spread his wings maybe, spent his life at the club and wants to try somthing else out, aye he would want a top club but Boro will have to do >.<, i think leaving Bristol on a personal level will help him mature.

I'm too excited about Armstrong, Fally, Eartho, Twine, Bird and how Mehmeti continues to develops to be upset over Tommy leaving.

Edited by CiderHider
  • Like 1

Sorry but dont quite get this pedestal we seem determind to put Twine on? spent a long while at Swindon 8 goals in 50apps, MKD in L1, 50apps 20goals; been mostly injured/loaned at Burnley making only 14apps in a club relegated from the prem, now being hailed by some, as our saviour, 4yr contract so hope so, but lets wait and see, same for WHU`s great hope, time will tell if he will make his mark in this tough division.

This season is being built on hope, that all our signings are up to it. 🤔

• Thanks 1

Just now, temp said:

Sorry but dont quite get this pedestal we seem determind to put Twine on? spent a long while at Swindon 8 goals in 50apps, MKD in L1, 50apps 20goals; been mostly injured/loaned at Burnley making only 14apps in a club relegated from the prem, now being hailed by some, as our saviour, 4yr contract so hope so, but lets wait and see, same for WHU`s great hope, time will tell if he will make his mark in this tough division.

Isn't this the same for pretty much every side in the division?

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Severn Beach Pigeon said:

Being a dick by not ripping up what would have been prepped through the week? 

Seems to me it isn't Manning who is being a dick.

100% agree. Only signed yesterday. Never gonna start today

33 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

He’s familiar with the system but he’s not played with Armstrong or Mayulu before. If he’d started and looked clueless Manning would’ve received pelters for throwing him in at the deep end 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, temp said:

1 minute ago, old_eastender said:

Nelson is currently injured, so my view would be just Pecover, who I'd have liked to see on the bench instead of Cornick. 

What have we seen from pecover that says he's got enough to make a difference at this level?

Cornick is experienced and will give 110%, he may not have enough quality at times, but surely he's a better option than a teenager who's never played a minute of senior football?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

What have we seen from pecover that says he's got enough to make a difference at this level?

Cornick is experienWellced and will give 110%, he may not have enough quality at times, but surely he's a better option than a teenager who's never played a minute of senior football?

Well I'd say if you don't give youngsters a chance, how are you going to know?

1 minute ago, old_eastender said:

Well I'd say if you don't give youngsters a chance, how are you going to know?

I guess you allow them to develop before chucking them in it too early.

If he's got the ability, I'm sure that will start to shine at u18 and u23 level but let's be honest, we all have only been made aware of him because of two 20-30 minute cameos in pre-season, against lower league opposition.

If we were chasing the game with 20 minutes to go, I'd rather see Cornick come on, at least we know what we'll get. Pecover will have his time I'm sure, but picking him over a vastly more experienced player wouldn't be the wisest move imo

9 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Cornick is experienced and will give 110%, he may not have enough quality at times, but surely he's a better option than a teenager who's never played a minute of senior football?

Only 110%?

Get rid, we need at least 150%!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Which ones that aren't in the squad, should be? Genuine Q. 

We will never know . That is a weak response and as a LJ advocate to be expected  . It is the excuse given for people looking for short term gain . when you have no choice you are forced into using the academy . It is a more painful approach and slower . It takes a lot of bravery from the coaches as the risks are higher. We are , in the space of months back to a bloated squad , just one more player approach and loaning out academy prospects . If we do not have a pathway we will lose the exceptional talent . We already did , Pecover will follow it seems. 

Use it or shut it . Yet another flip flop in approach from the club.

As soon as they get money they seem compelled to spend it. 

It is back to the LJ approach . So you should be delighted . I fundamentally disagree with it . 

5 minutes ago, RollsRoyce said:

We will never know . That is a weak response and as a LJ advocate to be expected  . It is the excuse given for people looking for short term gain . when you have no choice you are forced into using the academy . It is a more painful approach and slower . It takes a lot of bravery from the coaches as the risks are higher. We are , in the space of months back to a bloated squad , just one more player approach and loaning out academy prospects . If we do not have a pathway we will lose the exceptional talent . We already did , Pecover will follow it seems. 

Use it or shut it . Yet another flip flop in approach from the club.

As soon as they get money they seem compelled to spend it. 

It is back to the LJ approach . So you should be delighted . I fundamentally disagree with it . 

You do realise we won't always have academy players who are good enough for the squad coming through?

We've just had a really good spell of them, we have a couple more prospects to come through but they aren't ready yet- can perhaps be used in an emergency.

And so we've recruited enough depth to allow for that 

• Facepalm 1

Williams with a silly foul in a dangerous place, makes up for it by defending well against the free kick. I hope for his sake he's a little more switched on this week, having Twine and Earthy on the bench is only going to make some fans far more critical of him.