IGNORED

Fally Mayulu

Red Army 75

1 hour ago, Red Ferret said:

Think poor old Wells and Cornick know their time is up and will look to depart in January. No chance either are displacing these two 

Hmmmm. Long -and knackering - old season…

• Like 4

Just now, Davefevs said:

If anyone can tell me what footedness Fally is, there’s a packet of pickled onion monster much to the one with the right answer.

I have my own view.

So actually the question is ‘Can anyone tell Davefavs which foot Davefevs thinks Fally favours?’

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If anyone can tell me what footedness Fally is, there’s a packet of pickled onion monster much to the one with the right answer.

I have my own view.

Right footed. Now send me the crispies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Was disappointed Manning didn’t keep Armstrong on over Sykes. I thought those first two changes were very strange. He got away with it today, team selection and also subs suspect. Excellent last 10 mins and first 12 mins, however was shocked at how open and sloppy we were in between. Starting to think Atkinson is needed sooner than we think. 

Think first 45 we were excellent, and for that reason starting 11 was justified. Armstrong heavily out of the cane start of the first half and so was Mehmeti so can see why he decided those two as Bird was still so influential in the 10. Think the defence losing their heads when Millwall started to press so aggressively is the reason for the drop off, unsure that’s on Manning

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I have my own view.

Manning admitted last week that even he and the coaches weren't sure.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

Cheers, do you want my bank account number and security pin too?

They might be marginally helpful, but surely not as much as your Mum’s maiden name

29 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Mad how some wrote him off after a couple of friendlies. 

What a finisher, the ball seems to glide off his foot towards the far corner.

I did. He was shocking at Aldershot and thought he would struggle to adapt so quick.

Early days but proving me very wrong. Two fantastic finishes, great to see. 

• Like 1

I don’t really follow the scouting reports on here, mainly because I don’t understand them, especially the graphic ones (perhaps that’s on a different site), but I do recall one that suggested Fally liked a chest pass - that was definitely on this forum.

It was probably @Davefevs who pointed it out, but Goodness, doesn’t he just, and doesn’t he effect it well.

3 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I don’t really follow the scouting reports on here, mainly because I don’t understand them, especially the graphic ones (perhaps that’s on a different site), but I do recall one that suggested Fally liked a chest pass - that was definitely on this forum.

It was probably @Davefevs who pointed it out, but Goodness, doesn’t he just, and doesn’t he effect it well.

Twas me.

Wrote this before he’d signed after spending some time watching lots of clips.

I think all of those things have come out in his opening half a dozen competitive and preseason games we’ve seen.

• Like 6

Appears to have settled and adapted very well. Just comes across as a natural. Despite being tall and leggy, he's got an elegance about him and the finish today was effortlessly placed and directed.

Both footed, so comfortable no matter what direction he receives the ball, which makes him less predictable for defenders. A goal with both his left and right foot now. I'm sure he will score a header at some point too, as he's a big lad.

Has all the attributes to be a top striker. Very good signing so far. Looking forward to watch him progress.

• Like 10
  • Robin 1

7 hours ago, mozo said:

Armstrong and Mayulu already look like inspired signings.

Bird is brilliantly and Twine might be too.

Earthy may not have scored in his brief cameo, but he showed why there is a buzz around him. Look forward to seeing more from that lad. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KegCity said:

Think what we’ve done so far works, Armstrong battering the defence for an hour, tiring them out and then Mayulu using his pace to take advantage of tired legs.

The problem with this is that Fally will not always be happy to come off of the bench. He'll want to start games.

Squad management is going to require a lot of attention this season.

• Like 3

Fally reminds me of Shaun Goater . Comes alive when he gets the ball and rarely misses the target . Probably has more about him outside of the area , more involved in build up and great touch.

I think as Armstrong started the season as No.9 he has to lose the shirt . So far I think he's done well and now he has a goal I hope to see more . 
I thought Mayulu had done enough Vs Cov to nick a start , but with an assist (not sure he will get that one) and a goal SA proved his worth. It's a long season and with FM pushing for a start it will only be good for us as SA will need to score goals to stay there. Genuine competition for the first time in a while. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 3

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I have my own view.

Is footedness a word? I never understand why professional footballers are not two footed. Weren't they other taught to practice with their weaker one? I never made it beyond school boy level, games against other civil service departments or with the BCFC London Branch but I was a genuinely two footed player as I'd been made to practice with my left at school. As for Fally as I don't like pickled onion monster munch I'll let others compete for the prize. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's encouraging that we have a striker that's too good to start from the bench each match for too much longer whereas the striker who starts played well enough to maintain his position in the starting line up.

It begs the question had Conway remained here and not been exiled to the U21s, would he have ever got game time? 

In my opinion, not wishing to denegrate Tommy Conway, but if our two new strikers continue in this vein they'll be courting the interest  of bigger clubs than Middlesbrough. Well done to the Bristol City recruitment team. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Is footedness a word? I never understand why professional footballers are not two footed. Weren't they other taught to practice with their weaker one? I never made it beyond school boy level, games against other civil service departments or with the BCFC London Branch but I was a genuinely two footed player as I'd been made to practice with my left at school. As for Fally as I don't like pickled onion monster munch I'll let others compete for the prize. 

It is in ‘Engrove!!!

Ditto

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

The thing I've noticed about Fally is that he always gets his shot off.  Like a lot of us, I would love to see Fally and Sinclair play together.

Don’t get why fans want to see strikers play together , especially in this instance . You do realise it takes balance away from the rest of the team ? 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Don’t get why fans want to see strikers play together , especially in this instance . You do realise it takes balance away from the rest of the team ? 

4 4 2, 3 5 2 or 5 3 2 are not unbalanced.  I do think you have to play a different game tactically when you have two up front though.

Fally and Sinclair are very different types of player whose styles could be complementary if used effectively.

• Hmmm 1

As others have mentioned stating Armstrong and running the defenders ragged for 60 mins to then bring on Fally is a great strategy and is working.

You can also spin it round and start Fally who I reckon will still score whether the defenders are knackered or not, then bring Armstrong on later against the knackered defenders. You can imagine they will be 'WTF' :laugh:

• Like 4

16 hours ago, HengroveReds said:

Reminds me of Tammy, great touch, both feet great finishes!

I was saying exactly this away at Hull and the more I’ve seen of him the more I’m convinced that’s the case - he’s rangy with a large frame and ability to shield and control the ball with both feet even in tight situations and he plays the game with a calmness and several extra seconds of thinking time that makes him appear methodical and measured, and once he gets the space he is a natural finisher, calm and with the right balance of precision and power, not looking to simply work the keeper but knowing the angles to make it hard to do much more than get a hand on it.

It is exactly like Tammy who when he created a yard or two for himself with both feet using his size and holding off opponents you knew that he would then have a clean finish in him. The only part of the comparison we haven’t seen is Fally’s aerial ability, if he can get on the end of crosses and use his height at set pieces he will be some player. Far too early to get carried away but looks an inspired signing the type we rarely make given he was in Austrian second tier a year ago, and with his younger brother breaking into PSG’s first team, a hell of a name for us to develop.

• Like 8

He reminds me a bit of Kanu with those telescopic legs. 

If we were defending a lead, I reckon he could keep the ball in the corner for about 3 weeks.

Massively encouraging that him & Sinclair have made good starts & with Nahki & Cornick on the bench, we have proper competition for the central stickers role.

15 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Was disappointed Manning didn’t keep Armstrong on over Sykes. I thought those first two changes were very strange. He got away with it today, team selection and also subs suspect. Excellent last 10 mins and first 12 mins, however was shocked at how open and sloppy we were in between. Starting to think Atkinson is needed sooner than we think. 

Jesus wept. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Think the Armstrong vs Fally starting may change due to Twine / Earthy being on board or who we are playing. With Armstrong 1st half it was long passes to try and use his pace to get in behind, whereas with Twine its more shorter passes and interplay which maybe suits Fally. Therefore in game depends if we are being pushed back against a better team or expect men behind the ball trying to break them down.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Olé said:

I was saying exactly this away at Hull and the more I’ve seen of him the more I’m convinced that’s the case - he’s rangy with a large frame and ability to shield and control the ball with both feet even in tight situations and he plays the game with a calmness and several extra seconds of thinking time that makes him appear methodical and measured, and once he gets the space he is a natural finisher, calm and with the right balance of precision and power, not looking to simply work the keeper but knowing the angles to make it hard to do much more than get a hand on it.

It is exactly like Tammy who when he created a yard or two for himself with both feet using his size and holding off opponents you knew that he would then have a clean finish in him. The only part of the comparison we haven’t seen is Fally’s aerial ability, if he can get on the end of crosses and use his height at set pieces he will be some player. Far too early to get carried away but looks an inspired signing the type we rarely make given he was in Austrian second tier a year ago, and with his younger brother breaking into PSG’s first team, a hell of a name for us to develop.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

29 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

He reminds me a bit of Kanu with those telescopic legs. 

If we were defending a lead, I reckon he could keep the ball in the corner for about 3 weeks.

Massively encouraging that him & Sinclair have made good starts & with Nahki & Cornick on the bench, we have proper competition for the central stickers role.

You’ve gone Tammy and Kanu, I went Patrick Bamford 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, handsofclay said:

It's encouraging that we have a striker that's too good to start from the bench each match for too much longer whereas the striker who starts played well enough to maintain his position in the starting line up.

It begs the question had Conway remained here and not been exiled to the U21s, would he have ever got game time? 

In my opinion, not wishing to denegrate Tommy Conway, but if our two new strikers continue in this vein they'll be courting the interest  of bigger clubs than Middlesbrough. Well done to the Bristol City recruitment team. 

With Fally he’s still quite young and has all the attributes to be a very good CF but we need to be mindful he hasn’t played at this level or in this country whereas Armstrong knows what it’s all about at this level and league so probably gets the nod as the starting CF. If Fally keeps progressing and scoring then I don’t think it will be long before he is starting but if Armstrong is doing the business as he is and also scoring then it’s a nice little competition between them to push each other. 

It’s been a long time since we had two strikers who both provide a goal threat and physicality to worry defence’s and with the amount of talent now around them to put them in goal scoring positions there is no reason why we as a team and these two forwards can’t become a lethal strike force 

It certainly gives teams we come up against a big problem to solve both away & home 

I’ve been a bit passive about watching us and was a wait and see how it goes but the last 3 competitive games have sparked my appetite to go and watch us play as we now look a decent team who not only entertain but score goals 

I am sure there will be some bumps in the road but with Yu to come in still and Twine and Earthy joining we can only get better as the season goes on

Shout out for Bird - Looks a very classy player!!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Super said:

His 2 goals have been sensational finishes. Not easy.

Yesterday he finished a move with a calm, placed finish. He wasn't hurried and didn't try and hit with power, which the majority of strikers would.

Last week's finish was a similar calm, placed finish, albeit with more behind the shot but it was not blasted. Crucially he created the chance for himself out of nothing.

A few comparing him to Tammy, but perhaps similarities with Maynard, who was a cool finisher and very adept at creating his own chances from nothing.

15 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Armstrong was shot he had zero influence in the game 2nd half.

39 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Think the Armstrong vs Fally starting may change due to Twine / Earthy being on board or who we are playing. With Armstrong 1st half it was long passes to try and use his pace to get in behind, whereas with Twine its more shorter passes and interplay which maybe suits Fally. Therefore in game depends if we are being pushed back against a better team or expect men behind the ball trying to break them down.

39 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Many compare Armstrong to Semenyo (power and pace). While it's easy to see a long pass to use his pace and run behind, Semenyo was often most effective receiving the ball deeper in order to use his pace and power to run at defenders.

Edited by downendcity
  • Like 1

He does seem very calm when shooting.

II think this was illustrated the most when he was inadvertently put through on goal, miscontrolled the ball on his thigh making everything a bit awkward, but still produced a really clean, powerful effort which forced the Millwall keeper to make a good save.

Edit: He generally has extra time on the ball that can't really be taught, I think they might have found a good one.

Edited by Red from afar
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Hang on, didn't his team selection go 2-0 up and two of his subs score? Love to see LM's decisions on a good day!

Edited by Ron W
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I remember one summer my grandad took my right boot off me and would make me practice with just my left foot continuously. Like you I’d consider myself two footed and it really makes a difference, I actually started out as a left back despite being right footed.

I think it’s a common misconception though about a lot of footballers being one footed, their weak foot would clearly still be better than most of our strong foots it’s just their strong one is that good. Beckham is one who was always called one footed yet his left foot was also very good, it’s just his right was phenomenal.

5 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I think the point you’re missing is their weak foot, is going to be far better than either of yours. That’s the difference. Fally is quality with either foot, that is quite rare.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I remember one summer my grandad took my right boot off me and would make me practice with just my left foot continuously. Like you I’d consider myself two footed and it really makes a difference, I actually started out as a left back despite being right footed.

I think it’s a common misconception though about a lot of footballers being one footed, their weak foot would clearly still be better than most of our strong foots it’s just their strong one is that good. Beckham is one who was always called one footed yet his left foot was also very good, it’s just his right was phenomenal.

Tinnion ‘ the most 1 footed player I’ve ever seen’ his good foot was class though.

2 hours ago, Ron W said:

Hang on, didn't his team selection go 2-0 up and two of his subs score? Love to see LM's decisions on a good day!

Indeed, but when you describe the team selection before the match as "shocking", I guess you need something to cling to.

4 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Great to have options! As we saw yesterday, Millwall playing a higher line in the first half suited Armstrong’s game. When they went 3-2 up they did drop deeper and that was like food and drink to Twine, Earthy , Mayulu (and Bird). Interesting to see the 4-2-3-1 morphs into 3-4-2-1 - Mehmeti moving inside and Pring pushing up. Now we have a few options at 10 I think we’ll see more of the same.I do like that approach.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Severn Beach Pigeon said:

So if he plays the full 90 for the rest of the season he'll score another 147 goals.

I reckon we'll have a chance of going up with that record.

Exactly!

He'll be halfway to Atyeo's league goals record after just one season.

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

What a striker he will become and is showing to be . Another fantastic goal, we have needed a striker to hold the ball up like that since Wilbraham.

Buzzing 

Bournemouth watching on with interest.....

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ron W said:

His team selection also went 3-2 down before going on to win 4-3

It was a bizarre game. 

Plenty of people have commented that Mannings game management is questionable previously.

Did well with the decisions yesterday so full credit to that. Hopefully we can see more good decisions over bad decisions. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

His team selection also went 3-2 down before going on to win 4-3

It was a bizarre game. 

Plenty of people have commented that Mannings game management is questionable previously.

Did well with the decisions yesterday so full credit to that. Hopefully we can see more good decisions over bad decisions. 

It’s actually a bit bonkers, because he made the Twine and Mayulu subs in the 62nd minute when we were 2-2.  Within 2 minutes we were 3-2 down!!!  They didn’t come on at 3-2 down.

Great comeback, got a feeling the crowd didn’t think it was over either, which helped.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Super said:

Armstrong was shot he had zero influence in the game 2nd half.

Need to handle him carefully to start with. Run him into the ground to increase his fitness and you’ll lose the strength and sharpness. Gonna be a while before Armstrong is a 90 minute player. His “problem” is he’s a hell of a unit for a 21 year old!!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It’s actually a bit bonkers, because he made the Twine and Mayulu subs in the 62nd minute when we were 2-2.  Within 2 minutes we were 3-2 down!!!  They didn’t come on at 3-2 down.

Great comeback, got a feeling the crowd didn’t think it was over either, which helped.

At 3-2 down it did feel like there were more goals to come, I didn’t feel we were finished, I’m not suggesting I knew what was to come, but I did think we were going to equalise, then once we did it didn’t surprise me when we went on to score again. We just looked a dangerous going forward. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, downendcity said:

A few comparing him to Tammy, but perhaps similarities with Maynard, who was a cool finisher and very adept at creating his own chances from nothing.

Agreed.

I thought similarities to Maynard when I saw the first clips and saw some attributes, descriptions.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Dave I had enough trouble keeping up with the score let alone the subs 🤣🤣

Went out before 45 mins. Didn't get served for a beer until the players came back onto the pitch and then before I was back in my seat it was 2-2. 

Didn't even know there was a penalty until I read it on here 🤣🤣

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Severn Beach Pigeon said:

So if he plays the full 90 for the rest of the season he'll score another 147 goals.

I reckon we'll have a chance of going up with that record.

Wonder how I'll spend my winnings off my bet for him to be top championship scorer, 151/1 mind!

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Bloke next to me did. He said "I can't see us coming back into this" about 45 seconds before we equalised. 🤣

I genuinely believe Conway not signing a new contract and forcing us to go into the mark for both Armstrong and Mayulu could end up being our best blessing in many a year. Those two are what we have been missing for so long, I can't imagine its all to much fun for opposition defenders to deal with the bulldozer that is Armstrong for 60/70 mins, see his number come up only to see a 6'4 Mayulu take his place. 

18 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Probably because the majority of fans know we now have sufficient fire power to get back in games where as previous seasons we would have struggled to recover and would have lumped it and hoped for a break

This squad has a lot more about it and a team spirit as well, when the fans believe then the 12th man kicks in and you certainly felt the crowd stayed behind the players and gave them that boost to drive forward 

If we're playing the comparison game, the one that comes to my mind is Lee Chapman. Tall, rangy with good feet (for a big man 😉). Hopefully Fally proves he can be a presence in the air too.

On 17/08/2024 at 18:06, Port Said Red said:

That goal was sublime, I should imagine that for Liam Manning that must be the closest you can get to all your work during the week manifesting itself on the pitch. 

What looked like a slow build suddenly switches in 3 passes, Fally lays it off to Bird spins in behind and sweeps the perfect through ball into the far corner. 

I can't wait to see it again, I hope they show the whole if it on the highlights.

It also looks like Fally has really taken to the crowd, and vice versa.

I am glad to see someone agrees with me on the Bristol Live page... 

"Bird’s movement, the way he left the ball without looking, knowing Mayulu should be in that spot and then the interchanges between the two, has been drilled repeatedly at the training ground as Liam Manning has worked so intensely on structure."

:innocent06:

I’ll leave it to the more financially aware posters to better understand our position, but if this seemingly pricey summer needs balancing out in a couple of years, I could see Fally being one we profit on. Teams spend big on finishers and Fally’s two goals so far were both taken so, so well.

Don’t mean to try and sell the bloke after five appearances, just thinking who in our squad could be a money spinner if FFP means we come to need one! Bit of trauma from the Ashton era showing 🤣

By then SPH could be our ‘big 9’ if Fally was to go to, let’s face it, probably Bournemouth. 

23 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

I’ll leave it to the more financially aware posters to better understand our position, but if this seemingly pricey summer needs balancing out in a couple of years, I could see Fally being one we profit on. Teams spend big on finishers and Fally’s two goals so far were both taken so, so well.

Don’t mean to try and sell the bloke after five appearances, just thinking who in our squad could be a money spinner if FFP means we come to need one! Bit of trauma from the Ashton era showing 🤣

By then SPH could be our ‘big 9’ if Fally was to go to, let’s face it, probably Bournemouth. 

The Transfer Market is a bit screwed up atm so it's hard to say who goes for what and where.

By which I mean, just 18 months ago a lower midtable Championship CB in Souttar went for £15m...?

The bit money forwards, perhaps post Covid perhaps a  bit less than before out of the Championship Idk. Summrville and Rutter aren't classic forwards, that guy who went to Tottenham for £25m from Burnley ditto.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

I'm not sure what to make of Fally just yet. In general play, I think he's shown himself a bit of a luxury player in his cameo's so far. This is because he seems to try to play the intricate flicks and passes rather than being a forward who is going to help the team to hold on to the ball higher up the pitch. That said he's scored two very good goals from few minutes.

I said it before and only based on very limited viewing so I hope I'll change my mind, but I'm worried he could be like Tomlin - on his day and when it's coming off he looks unplayable, but otherwise I think he might not contribute that much. 

For me it's Armstrong that I'm looking at and thinking he could be our next big sale. 

• Like 1

On 17/08/2024 at 20:57, Davefevs said:

I have my own view.

Left all day long if you watch the goal at about 45 seconds, he takes it on the outside left, to hit it across the keeper rather than knocking it in at the near post with his right.

That and his stride is left footed.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Left all day long if you watch the goal at about 45 seconds, he takes it on the outside left, to hit it across the keeper rather than knocking it in at the near post with his right.

That and his stride is left footed.

Even halfway through that clip he was obviously good enough in equal measures with either foot.