IGNORED

That penalty decision

JBFC II

We usually only chase the PGMOL when it costs us decisions - should flag this with them immediately. Need to hold refereeing at this level to a standard irrespective of result.

• Like 5

Genuinely one of the worst I've seen. And even if it had hit his hand, it's that close to him that you surely can't be giving it.

Need to be challenging it with the authorities. Ultimately it didn't cost us today, but we'll get one that does at some point.

• Like 5

Most penalty decisions contain some sort of bias in their opinion on whether it was or wasn't....

That leaves no room for interpretation... it just wasn't a penalty, not in a million years!

Diabolical decision!!

Thank god it didn't cost us points!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

Most penalty decisions contain some sort of bias in their opinion on whether it was or wasn't....

That leaves no room for interpretation... it just wasn't a penalty, not in a million years!

Diabolical decision!!

Thank god it didn't cost us points!

…….and yet one angry person in the MDT was trying to justify the decision and that we somehow “deserved” it😂

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Harvey86 said:

Has anyone got a clip of our penalty shout from the first half? Looked absolutely stonewall from the Dolman, but to be fair there wasn’t a great deal of appealing from the players. 

The Esse tackle on Kinght??

My First thought was the same, but the replays on RobinsTV showed it was an excellent tackle and he played the ball cleanly.

BTW Esse looked very very good IMO.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Harvey86 said:

Has anyone got a clip of our penalty shout from the first half? Looked absolutely stonewall from the Dolman, but to be fair there wasn’t a great deal of appealing from the players. 

I was sat in the South Stand but right in line and I thought it was definitely a penalty I was shocked as well that their was no appeal. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I thought Sunny Gill’s performance was one of the worst I’ve seen at AG in a good while.  It was a fairly tame game, yet he seemed to wind up both sets of players with “mystery” decisions.

The Armstrong one first half with Cooper was shocking, and the penalty pure guesswork.  Never guess as a ref.

Absolutely right Dave. 

At least he let us kill the game at the end, but still shockingly bad.

• Like 2

Just now, Numero Uno said:

…….and yet one angry person in the MDT was trying to justify the decision and that we somehow “deserved” it😂

Just throwing a guess out there... was it a Red from weston, or a Shaun Taylor tribute..?

• Haha 2

Dreadful decision. 

The Millwall players were howling for a pen in the first half which wasn’t given… felt like the ref did the classic ‘even things up’ thing here imo. Has anyone got footage of the earlier penalty shout? I didn’t see it but their players were in the ref’s ear for a good while after. 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I thought Sunny Gill’s performance was one of the worst I’ve seen at AG in a good while.  It was a fairly tame game, yet he seemed to wind up both sets of players with “mystery” decisions.

The Armstrong one first half with Cooper was shocking, and the penalty pure guesswork.  Never guess as a ref.

That one where Armstrong nutmeged the guy and got flattened was a joke. How the Ref ignored that was amazing, then that Pen ? Well . And sadly those were not the only ones .
He managed to sneak in some good calls , which made it hard for me to say he was the worst, but he was really trying to get there.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

An appalling decision..we won anyway thank goodness, but should still very much flag this.

It looked a dreadful decision from 60+ yards away. Couldn’t believe it when instead of pointing for a corner that he pointed to the spot. Not keen on VAR per se, but it’s decisions like this that give refs a bad reputation!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

That one where Armstrong nutmeged the guy and got flattened was a joke. How the Ref ignored that was amazing, then that Pen ? Well . And sadly those were not the only ones .
He managed to sneak in some good calls , which made it hard for me to say he was the worst, but he was really trying to get there.

It was the clearest body check by Cooper with the linesman stood no further than 5 yards away and the ref 10 yards away, but amazingly nothing given. You do have to wonder some times. And the linesman in front of the Lansdown had a bit of a shocker at times too…

Edited by Dr Balls
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He wasn't exactly a great ref in L2

• Like 1

I thought the referee was pretty awful all afternoon to be honest. He was falling for every little niggle, and fall Millwall did. Bet he is gutted tonight they lost 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

2 absolute shockers.

Armstrong was clotheslined, how the **** he then waived play on is a mystery.

The penalty is simply an atrocious decision.

• Like 2

From what I saw it was obvious that he didn't give it initially and only gave it as a result of all the Millwall appeals. 

Poor ref that, on another day,  could have cost us points. 

I still don't feel we are very good at the dark side of the game though.  Time wasting, cramps, random injuries,  or even just very vocal appeals for penalties seems to be what other teams do to us. 

The appeal for our potential penalty could have been so much bigger.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Red Army 79 said:

Every time Millwall shouted he seemed to give them the decision was the ref actually watching the game? It was like playing youth football again when the ref is a teams manager 

They did this very early on and then started giving them a lot of 50/50 decisions. He was honestly terrible and thankfully didn't ruin a great game.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Red Billy said:

Read on BBC website they were relaxing the rules on handballs. Seems some Refs didn’t get the memo. 🤣

I assume that whatever the rule change it still actually needs to hit a hand/arm to be handball 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Jimbo76 said:

From what I saw it was obvious that he didn't give it initially and only gave it as a result of all the Millwall appeals. 

I still don't feel we are very good at the dark side of the game though.  Time wasting, cramps, random injuries,  or even just very vocal appeals for penalties seems to be what other teams do to us. 

I think sometimes you have to remember they are mic’d up to their linesman and probably consulting them too. Might not be the case here, but worth remembering when a ref pauses for a moment before making a decision

2 minutes ago, Jimbo76 said:

You know what I think it was...

Tanner chests it out but walks away to try to kid the ref that it was a goal kick. The ref sees that Tanner is slightly shifty and jumps to the wrong conclusion.

Just now, MarcusX said:

I assume that whatever the rule change it still actually needs to hit a hand/arm to be handball 🤣

🤣 even if it had dropped on to his arm not his chest he didn’t move his arm in as a deliberate action so shouldn’t have been given. The refs have a difficult job and I can almost forgive this decision but the foul on Armstrong when he did the nutmeg should see both the ref and linesman officiating in the national league next game.

Difficult to tell in real time sat far away in the SS,but seeing that reply,it clearly comes off Tanners chest.
Ref was pretty bad all afternoon.Should ask for our standard apology letter out of principle.

Liners weren’t good either.

1 minute ago, mozo said:

You know what I think it was...

Tanner chests it out but walks away to try to kid the ref that it was a goal kick. The ref sees that Tanner is slightly shifty and jumps to the wrong conclusion.

So in future if you are right when the refs look at that they will think he’s not as shifty as he looks 

There was a point when the players half stopped because there were two balls on the pitch within 5 metres of each other and the referee never noticed, so how he was going to see anything else I don't know.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

There was a point when the players half stopped because there were two balls on the pitch within 5 metres of each other and the referee never noticed, so how he was going to see anything else I don't know.

And then later when we had a corner, Honeyman was being a little s**t and actually kicked a ball back into the penalty area just to mess with the officials so that if anything came from the corner he could claim it was void because there were 2 balls on the pitch. There is “dark arts” and then there is just trying to ****ing cheat!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

That ref is a League One/Two ref who got fast tracked up to the PGMOL select group for obvious reasons.

That penalty decision aside he was generally one of the worst I have seen in a long time. The penalty was shocking. The worrying thing is he is more likely to be refereeing in the premier league than moved back to non league where he belongs.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

That ref is a League One/Two ref who got fast tracked up to the PGMOL select group for obvious reasons.

This did cross my mind briefly as well.

• Like 4

Enquiries@EFL.com

The decision was a shocker. I have sent an email to the EFL address as above!

what got me was he was perfectly positioned and either has an eyesight problem or was intimidated by being at the Millwall end!

12 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Said in another thread the amount of time he let Millwall get away with 2 handed pushes or jumping with 2 hands on our players shoulders was a joke

All day long . Bradshaw is absolute murder for it. Shocking how he gets away it.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, kit said:

That penalty decision aside he was generally one of the worst I have seen in a long time. The penalty was shocking. The worrying thing is he is more likely to be refereeing in the premier league than moved back to non league where he belongs.

To play devils advocate while not destroying a blokes career wouldn’t it make more sense for players ours and the opposition to man up and not try to con the ref at every opportunity 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, 2015 said:

This did cross my mind briefly as well.

I'd love to find what the obvious reasons are for today's referee's alleged fast tracking? Anyone care to enlighten us?

Edited by Curr Avon
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

To play devils advocate while not destroying a blokes career wouldn’t it make more sense for players ours and the opposition to man up and not try to con the ref at every opportunity 

I get the sentiment and agree to an extent, but plenty of refs are able to filter out most of the nonsense that goes on. This ref was completely unable to do any of that, just made up the rules as he went along very very inconsistant. Countless poor decisions from him today.

I don't actually think there was much conning going on today, it was more blow for a foul for something then let something much worse go after.

I clearly remember watching Bath City play in a National League South game with this referee. Couldn’t have been much more than a couple of seasons ago. He was pretty bad that day, very inconsistent and missing some blatant fouls to the extent where both managers just laughed and shrugged their shoulders at some of the decisions. He’s presumably been fast tracked through the system like a number of others in recent years who are not at the required level (yet?). Just seems like the latest in a trend of very poor referees officiating at championship level. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RSW8 said:

I clearly remember watching Bath City play in a National League South game with this referee. Couldn’t have been much more than a couple of seasons ago. He was pretty bad that day, very inconsistent and missing some blatant fouls to the extent where both managers just laughed and shrugged their shoulders at some of the decisions. He’s presumably been fast tracked through the system like a number of others in recent years who are not at the required level (yet?). Just seems like the latest in a trend of very poor referees officiating at championship level. 

He was still a national league ref in 2022, promoted that year to the efl, did his first prem game in march got demoted back down again and then had this performance. 

How he was allowed to rise so high baffles me

Edited by George Rs
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, kit said:

I get the sentiment and agree to an extent, but plenty of refs are able to filter out most of the nonsense that goes on. This ref was completely unable to do any of that, just made up the rules as he went along very very inconsistant. Countless poor decisions from him today.

I don't actually think there was much conning going on today, it was more blow for a foul for something then let something much worse go after.

I literally saw numerous challenges for a throw in when everyone with 2 eyes could see it wasn’t their throw in and that is conning the ref 

Edited by joe jordans teeth

1 hour ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

No idea what he saw at the time and seeing it again now astonished! 

I had assumed their player had played it into Tanners arms & he'd wringlt given a handball.

I'd love to hear him explain what he actually did give it for.!

Referees should be held to account with a neutral interviewer asking them for their explanations whist watching replays, after the game.

I know that without VAR, ilthere will be mistakes made & things seen wrongly- but they should at least have to admit it & apologise publicly afterwards when they have made such a downright dreadful decision.!

It wouldn't feel quote so bad if he was on TV afterwards saying " ok, let's see it again & I'll explain why I gave it.... oh, **** me, that was a dreadful decision & I'm very sorry that I saw it the way that I did"

It would help us understand what he genuinely believed he saw & just make them more human & relatable.

They must watch things back when they get home, surely.?!

Hopefully his Mrs called him a cheating tossers & told him that it's no wonder he couldn't ever make her climax, if he couldn't even tell the difference between that & a deliberate handball.!

• Like 1

Just watched it on Sky, he guessed or relied on the assistant 60 yards away on the LS side.  The other assistant can’t see.  And there appears to be a moment where he’s communicating with his assistants before giving it.

Its a shocker.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I still can’t believe that free kick wasn’t given, the definition of obstruction yet he thought it was a fair challenge? Absolute shambles

• Like 1