IGNORED

That penalty decision

JBFC II

Just now, marcofisher said:

Has anything been mentioned in the post-match pressers about this? 

I know it doesn’t make a difference to the result, but we should be consistent in highlighting these things whenever they happen, regardless of the result.

Manning said the lads were let down on radio Bristol haven’t watched the clubs interview yet. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I thought Sunny Gill’s performance was one of the worst I’ve seen at AG in a good while.  It was a fairly tame game, yet he seemed to wind up both sets of players with “mystery” decisions.

The Armstrong one first half with Cooper was shocking, and the penalty pure guesswork.  Never guess as a ref.

Ref Armstrong

Are you referring to the bit where Armstrong went down holding his face?

I've not seen any replays, but at the time, my initial thoughts were no impact, and i thought his actions were embarrassing. 

Hopefully, im wrong as i really can't stand that rubbish 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cityal said:

The Esse tackle on Kinght??

My First thought was the same, but the replays on RobinsTV showed it was an excellent tackle and he played the ball cleanly.

BTW Esse looked very very good IMO.

If that is the one I am thinking of, then, as you say, he played it cleanly and made what was an excellent tackle.

He chased back quite a way and, as you could see quite clearly, he was absolutely shattered immediately after.

It is no surprise he cramped up later.

I thought he had a very good game and scored an excellent goal.

• Like 1

Replay from the angle behind the goal as shown on the ITV highlights clearly shows it coming off Tanner’s chest with the hands nowhere near by. Absolutely terrible decision and the ref has been hoodwinked by the Millwall players.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ian M said:

I know you're trying to bait someone into saying something racist but it hasn't worked the several times you've tried. Consider your virtue recognised. Can you stop now?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As to Sunny Gill's ability, if I send a copy of this to the PGMOL do you think they'd pass it on to Mr Gill?

image.png

As I think REDOXO put it above, the ball travelled a from the Millwall head to Tanner's chest in milliseconds and his arms were not in a blocking position, it just outright shouldn't be a pen even if the ball had struck George's arm!

I think that's a bit unfair Ian. But if that's you're view as a moderator I'll quit this forum, virtue or otherwise.

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Ian M said:

I know you're trying to bait someone into saying something racist but it hasn't worked the several times you've tried. Consider your virtue recognised. Can you stop now?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As to Sunny Gill's ability, if I send a copy of this to the PGMOL do you think they'd pass it on to Mr Gill?

image.png

As I think REDOXO put it above, the ball travelled a from the Millwall head to Tanner's chest in milliseconds and his arms were not in a blocking position, it just outright shouldn't be a pen even if the ball had struck George's arm!

Sorry but I think that’s harsh.

Way I see it is the original post made a fairly obvious but subtle enough insinuation, @Curr Avon just called it out to see if the poster would actually back it up which they haven’t. (Of course they may not have seen the reply yet)

The fact you, as a mod, pick on @Curr Avonfor calling it out is bemusing. That said, some blatent stuff gets allowed to pass so of course the subtle things will.

• Like 8
  • Hmmm 2

2 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

It was the clearest body check by Cooper with the linesman stood no further than 5 yards away and the ref 10 yards away, but amazingly nothing given. You do have to wonder some times. And the linesman in front of the Lansdown had a bit of a shocker at times too…

I watched on a stream, with a Millwall commentator, who was actually very good indeed and not at all biased.

His comments on the foul were along the lines of ‘Well, I need to take my Millwall glasses off here, but that was as blatant a body check and foul as you are ever likely to see’.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Ian M said:

image.png

Exactly! Utter nonsense! 

• Admin
Just now, MarcusX said:

Way I see it is the original post made a fairly obvious but subtle enough insinuation, @Curr Avon just called it out to see if the poster would actually back it up which they haven’t. (Of course they may not have seen the reply yet)

The fact you, as a mod, pick on @Curr Avonfor calling it out is bemusing. That said, some blatent stuff gets allowed to pass so of course the subtle things will.

He asked several times to encourage turning the thread into a racial debate. I am trying to keep the thread on topic and not have racism on the football forum. I haven't asked anyone to quit the forum over it, I simply asked not to ask a further time.

• Like 18
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I’m confused the OP said something about Sears ghost goal. Where is this all coming from?

5 minutes ago, Ian M said:

He asked several times to encourage turning the thread into a racial debate. I am trying to keep the thread on topic and not have racism on the football forum. I haven't asked anyone to quit the forum over it, I simply asked not to ask a further time.

I refused to answer the question being posed to me due to this reason, some would like you to slip up and make a remark that can be manipulated. 

In no way do I think that Sunny Gill was refereeing today's game based on his skin colour if that's what Curr Avon was asking me about. It was simply that if he has recently been promoted, maybe it was a standard too high right now based on what I thought was a poor refereeing display today. PGMOL are also promoting diversity and I also have no issue with that either.

12 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Far be it from me to tell you how to mod, I’m really not.

I just think that should be targeted at the original comment rather than someone calling it out. It’s almost suggesting casual insinuation of things is ok just don’t question it.

11 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I’m confused the OP said something about Sears ghost goal. Where is this all coming from?

The original comment that started this was someone suggesting he’s a lower standard ref that is being / had been fast tracked higher for “obvious reasons”.

Just a little uneasy with a mod allowing the original comment to stay unchallenged whilst picking on someone who calls it out.

Anyway, I’ll say no more and apologies for adding to the side tracking. @Curr Avon and I shall go stand on the naughty step and think about what we’ve done.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

18 minutes ago, Ashtongreight said:

Returning to the thread, what a terrible decision, obviously I must be wrong, because I thought you were aloud to use your chest, silly me 😂

Nah they’ve taken the unnatural position rule one step further - you can’t have your hands anyway unnatural even if they don’t touch the ball 🤣

1 minute ago, MarcusX said:

Far be it from me to tell you how to mod, I’m really not.

I just think that should be targeted at the original comment rather than someone calling it out. It’s almost suggesting casual insinuation of things is ok just don’t question it.

The original comment that started this was someone suggesting he’s a lower standard ref that is being / had been fast tracked higher for “obvious reasons”.

Just a little uneasy with a mod allowing the original comment to stay unchallenged whilst picking on someone who calls it out.

Anyway, I’ll say no more and apologies for adding to the side tracking. @Curr Avon and I shall go stand on the naughty step and think about what we’ve done.

I find the ignore button and less beer on a Saturday evening helpful!!

Says me who has thrown more rattles out of the pram on this forum than most! 😂 

3 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Here is is in all its glory.

Worst decision at Ashton Gate since the Freddie Sears ghost goal?

That hits his chest surely. From W8 in Lansdown upper tier looked stone wall hand  ball to me. But no way What a strange decision. How close was the ref ?

2 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

That hits his chest surely. From W8 in Lansdown upper tier looked stone wall hand  ball to me. But no way What a strange decision. How close was the ref ?

Just approaching edge of box so 10-12 yards away

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just approaching edge of box so 10-12 yards away

And Tanner had his back to him. It was a complete guess on the referee’s part, especially as neither linesman would have seen it either. The position should be, if in doubt, don’t guess!

• Like 4

Apparently he admitted after the game that he didn’t see it but “trusted his gut” and awarded a penalty.

He should be suspended for a significant number of games and re-trained in the fundamentals of refereeing. It is completely unacceptable for professional referees to be guessing decisions, especially ones as vital as penalties. 

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I find the ignore button and less beer on a Saturday evening helpful!!

Says me who has thrown more rattles out of the pram on this forum than most! 😂 

FWIW I’m stone cold sober, just an observation on the interaction but point taken

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What you can’t see is the little Rascals have let his tires down!

have to say that’s pretty good from him if true. Ok he may not have made a public apology but to discuss it with a fan and admit his mistake shows character.

As a player, and captain so used to talking to refs all game, I’ve always respected the refs you can have a bit of a chat with and some are very good and honest - others not so much and will back themselves to the death. He could have easily doubled down here or said he hadn’t seen it back.

Obviously a lot easier to do after we’ve come back and won, he might have been making a more discreet exit otherwise!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

FWIW I’m stone cold sober, just an observation on the interaction but point taken

have to say that’s pretty good from him if true. Ok he may not have made a public apology but to discuss it with a fan and admit his mistake shows character.

As a player, and captain so used to talking to refs all game, I’ve always respected the refs you can have a bit of a chat with and some are very good and honest - others not so much and will back themselves to the death. He could have easily doubled down here or said he hadn’t seen it back.

Obviously a lot easier to do after we’ve come back and won, he might have been making a more discreet exit otherwise!

I didn’t pick up tonnes of bookings, but one season at Odd Down I picked up 4 really early in the season.  The 4th one was really harsh (I thought).  Had a long chat with ref in the bar afterwards, told him what I thought (not aggressively).

Next week, he’s only the ref again, I pull back their striker, get called over, and he says “that’s a yellow, but I reckon last week’s one was a bit harsh, so I’ll let you off”.  I didn’t get another yellow all season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

Replay from the angle behind the goal as shown on the ITV highlights clearly shows it coming off Tanner’s chest with the hands nowhere near by. Absolutely terrible decision and the ref has been hoodwinked by the Millwall players.

In fairness, the angle from behind the goal is not the view that the referee would have had.

He could see it not hit Tanners arm from a completely different perspective.!

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I didn’t pick up tonnes of bookings, but one season at Odd Down I picked up 4 really early in the season.  The 4th one was really harsh (I thought).  Had a long chat with ref in the bar afterwards, told him what I thought (not aggressively).

Next week, he’s only the ref again, I pull back their striker, get called over, and he says “that’s a yellow, but I reckon last week’s one was a bit harsh, so I’ll let you off”.  I didn’t get another yellow all season.

The TL;dr from this thread is: next time we get Sunny Gill as ref he's giving us a dodgy pen :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Charlie BCFC said:

I still can’t believe that free kick wasn’t given, the definition of obstruction yet he thought it was a fair challenge? Absolute shambles

Armstrong was clattered completely. It was a free kick and a yellow card! 

18 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I’m sure. But you didn’t write four posts trying to get the required reaction. I have a couple of dozen here on ignore.

Some just don’t add value and I have a choice! 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ha that’s brilliant, I absolutely believe having a rapport with a ref helps - even if it’s just to keep a game calm and understand his choices. We’ve had the same chap 3 weeks in a row now for our pre season and we’ve had a few chats. Now I know I can ask him why he hasn’t given a decision or whatever and he’ll happily explain, takes the frustration of a bad decision out generally too.

On the flip side We have another local guy who’s never wrong. He’s even told me after a game if a players giving him a bit of stick and a 50/50 happens then he’ll not give it their way. Last game we had him a couple weeks ago he got himself in an argument with one of our players who was winding him up a bit - turned and called our lad a fat c***, then sent him off when he called him it back 🤣

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I watched on a stream, with a Millwall commentator, who was actually very good indeed and not at all biased.

His comments on the foul were along the lines of ‘Well, I need to take my Millwall glasses off here, but that was as blatant a body check and foul as you are ever likely to see’.

I had that too. He then said “I’ll put my Millwall glasses back on now, nothing wrong with that”. 😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

I had that too. He then said “I’ll put my Millwall glasses back on now, nothing wrong with that”. 😀

Yes, I remember laughing when he said that.

To be fair, though, he was a pretty good commentator; obviously a Millwall fan, but quite knowledgeable and fair with his overall views on the game.

He also criticised the decision on the foul given against Twine right at the end of the match, down by the corner flag, when he had obviously got the ball.

14 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Yes, I remember laughing when he said that.

To be fair, though, he was a pretty good commentator; obviously a Millwall fan, but quite knowledgeable and fair with his overall views on the game.

He also criticised the decision on the foul given against Twine right at the end of the match, down by the corner flag, when he had obviously got the ball.

IIRC he also said something along the lines of “got away with one there” when the penalty was awarded. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cityal said:

The Esse tackle on Kinght??

My First thought was the same, but the replays on RobinsTV showed it was an excellent tackle and he played the ball cleanly.

BTW Esse looked very very good IMO.

I assumed it must’ve been a good tackle as no one appealed for it- must’ve been the angle I saw it from. 

Esse did look good- wasn’t impressed with many of the Millwall squad, but he stood out a mile

8 hours ago, luke_bristol said:

Apparently he admitted after the game that he didn’t see it but “trusted his gut” and awarded a penalty.

He should be suspended for a significant number of games and re-trained in the fundamentals of refereeing. It is completely unacceptable for professional referees to be guessing decisions, especially ones as vital as penalties. 

Rather than read all of Daniel Kahneman’s “Thinking, Fast and Slow” (a truly brilliant book) perhaps he should just read this quick summary I found, about when to trust your gut feeling or not.

https://www.inc.com/jessica-stillman/never-trust-your-gut-unless-you-can-say-yes-to-these-3-questions.html

After yesterday’s fiasco, hopefully he won’t give a penalty again without actually seeing an offence being committed!

• Like 3

From where I was sat it looked like it was a penalty and there wasn't much argument, really. Tanner's arms flailing around like that made it a sketchy one. 

That said, referee had to have a better view than I did, and trusting his gut rather than his eyes is a bit wild. 

Edited by TBW

10 hours ago, Mike Stone said:

Ref Armstrong

Are you referring to the bit where Armstrong went down holding his face?

I've not seen any replays, but at the time, my initial thoughts were no impact, and i thought his actions were embarrassing. 

Hopefully, im wrong as i really can't stand that rubbish 

Was pretty much in front of me & I felt the same....no contact to his face whatsoever....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

If anyone has something to say about Sunny Gill that doesn't refer to his professional ability as a referee, could they please have the decency to post it. 

Not sure you really meant that Mark? 🤔😂.

Don't you mean "have the decency not to post it"

Edited by NcnsBcfc

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

My cousin was playing as a striker. On the precipice of a stellar career in the game, being watched by several top non league sides in the area. Then in one match he was deliberately pulled back by a defender. He expected the ref to throw the book at the offender, and was alarmed when they just had a friendly chat and no book was produced. 

In the dressing room afterwards he brought this up with his teammates and their central midfielder chipped in with the information that the referee and the miscreant defender were great mates as he saw them in the pub together for hours the previous Saturday. My cousin quit the game calling it corrupt and took up badminton. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

The guy behind me was going mad, said it hit his face. Looking at that i's a really poor decision .
TBH not the only poor decision he made today. 

I sit in Lower Lansdown towards the South Stand and I thought it hit his face to be fair. One thing I knew it definitely didn't hit was his hand though. Seemed really weird as he didn't even look like giving it and based his decision on the Millwall appeals like he had missed something obvious. As alluded to by others even if it had hit his hand I don't think it was a penalty!

Interesting watching Watmores reaction on the highlights show, he wasn't interested in a penalty and when the ref gave it went to kick off as he thought he'd given a goal kick...

Ref was poor throughout but not helped by the totally incompetent linesman Lansdown side, never good when you recognise them before the game and he was awful 

10 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Sorry about the crap grab, but it does show the Ref's position . 
The speed the ball travels, the short distance it travels and the Ref's position all add up to being a terrible decision. 
The Ref is looking at Tanner's back , looks like pure guesswork to me, just glad it didn't cost us.

Screenshot2024-08-18at08_48_35.png.dde4eb5c2b3a8bc49cb6570b64d53bf2.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

The speed the ball travels, the short distance it travels and the Ref's position all add up to being a terrible decision. 
The Ref is looking at Tanner's back , looks like pure guesswork to me, just glad it didn't cost us.

Lino on dolman side can’t see it.  Lino on Lansdown side too far away and also not able to see conclusively.  Ref can’t see it.  So it can only be a guess or “I thought it did”.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Reigate Red said:

I did have some sympathy for their keeper when he got booked for time wasting. Admittedly he was taking his time but I'm sure the lino told him to wait before taking the free kick - he then got booked. He was not happy about it.

Yep, another thing he got wrong.  Yes, there was an injury.

1 hour ago, Son of Fred said:

Was pretty much in front of me & I felt the same....no contact to his face whatsoever....

The Armstrong one didn't hit him in the face, but it was still a foul. The defender lunged into his chest area in no attempt to win the ball.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

He was so crap he let us get away with our five minutes of shithousery in injury time 😀

Indeed. Laughed out loud Fally's antics -  now there's a highly talented shithouser.

1 hour ago, handsofclay said:

My cousin was playing as a striker. On the precipice of a stellar career in the game, being watched by several top non league sides in the area. Then in one match he was deliberately pulled back by a defender. He expected the ref to throw the book at the offender, and was alarmed when they just had a friendly chat and no book was produced. 

In the dressing room afterwards he brought this up with his teammates and their central midfielder chipped in with the information that the referee and the miscreant defender were great mates as he saw them in the pub together for hours the previous Saturday. My cousin quit the game calling it corrupt and took up badminton. 

The original (shuttle)cock and ball story.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

I did have some sympathy for their keeper when he got booked for time wasting. Admittedly he was taking his time but I'm sure the lino told him to wait before taking the free kick - he then got booked. He was not happy about it.

But how did he then get away with taking it so far away from where the offence took place??

I've quickly edited and slowed it down , can't be bothered to mess about too much but clearest angle from Ext highlights.

Shows what a poor decision it was an you can get an idea of the Ref's view as he's out of shot to the right looking through Tanner.

Like I said, glad it didn't cost us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

There is one thing the referee does know from that position and that's how close Tanner is to the player, that alone should have told him it wasn't a penalty even if he couldn't see the actual contact. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Genuinely one of the worst I've seen. And even if it had hit his hand, it's that close to him that you surely can't be giving it.

Need to be challenging it with the authorities. Ultimately it didn't cost us today, but we'll get one that does at some point.

I ref at a humble level but in law 12 for fouls and misconduct i dont see a handball here but being close to the ball proximity to the ball isnt part of law 12. 

15 hours ago, Jimbo76 said:

From what I saw it was obvious that he didn't give it initially and only gave it as a result of all the Millwall appeals. 

Poor ref that, on another day,  could have cost us points. 

I still don't feel we are very good at the dark side of the game though.  Time wasting, cramps, random injuries,  or even just very vocal appeals for penalties seems to be what other teams do to us. 

The appeal for our potential penalty could have been so much bigger.

My thoughts as well, didn’t look as if he was giving it initially, but then did, when all the Millwall players started shouting and waving their arms about.

16 hours ago, Red Billy said:

Read on BBC website they were relaxing the rules on handballs. Seems some Refs didn’t get the memo. 🤣

Maybe the ref did get the memo and thought relaxing the rules meant you just guess whether it hits his hand or not!

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

That one where Armstrong nutmeged the guy and got flattened was a joke. How the Ref ignored that was amazing, then that Pen ? Well . And sadly those were not the only ones .
He managed to sneak in some good calls , which made it hard for me to say he was the worst, but he was really trying to get there.

Yes and it was right by the lino, who never even waved his flag, was he asleep?

17 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

That one where Armstrong nutmeged the guy and got flattened was a joke. How the Ref ignored that was amazing, then that Pen ? Well . And sadly those were not the only ones .
He managed to sneak in some good calls , which made it hard for me to say he was the worst, but he was really trying to get there.

Think the ref could have done with some help from his assistant there, it happened right under his nose. Bryan kicked the ball out straight away, presumably because he thought that Armstrong had been flattened. 

To be fair, I saw a tweet from a City fan last night that said he bumped into the ref after the game and he admitted he got it wrong and was "gutted". 

Edited by Hamdon Mart