IGNORED

That penalty decision

JBFC II

It was horror decision tbf . He was getting enough stick from the Millwall faithful and gave a surprise decision which baffled . Be interested to hear what his Pre match was to his assistants … probably along the lines of no surprises!

Not sure which is worse, the ref not giving the foul or the linesman not flagging from no more than 5 yards away. Embarrassing officiating from both but pretty much sums up the current standard in the championship. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Hamdon Mart said:

Think the ref could have done with some help from his assistant there, it happened right under his nose. Bryan kicked the ball out straight away, presumably because he thought that Armstrong had been flattened. 

To be fair, I saw a tweet from a City fan last night that said he bumped into the ref after the game and he admitted he got it wrong and was "gutted". 

Gutted because we came back to win still?

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I didn’t pick up tonnes of bookings, but one season at Odd Down I picked up 4 really early in the season.  The 4th one was really harsh (I thought).  Had a long chat with ref in the bar afterwards, told him what I thought (not aggressively).

Then you took your foot off his throat!

2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Christ what's the linesman smoking there

I said in the MDT it was basically like a wrestling move where you just take down your opponent. OK Armstrong probably didn't get hit in the face but to me the defender didn't like being beaten and flattened him. Yellow card all day long.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Just clipped the GBH!

The Penalty was guesswork and that's bad enough, but this is shocking. I keep coming back and watching again , how do they both ignore it ? Specially with the Lino almost touching distance. The CB is actually running away from the ball to charge into Armstrong .

I wonder if that's one or two letters incoming.

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Seen some comments it was embarrassing the way Armstrong went down holding his head, perhaps this is why

image.png.452cd8cb5f17135050a8c5c148ad6e31.png

Including one who said it was right in front of him.  Maybe the Lino posts on here!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

I said in the MDT it was basically like a wrestling move where you just take down your opponent. OK Armstrong probably didn't get hit in the face but to me the defender didn't like being beaten and flattened him. Yellow card all day long.

Looked to me like he got a smack in the face.

Whatever, it was a clear foul and a yellow card at that.

• Like 1

There is no way referees and their assistants go out to make mistakes. It happens in every game up and down the country and is part of football. Just think of all the decisions they got right.

There is some disappointment in the penalty awarded given that it appears the ref could not be 100% sure of what he saw but it happens.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, David Brent said:

There is no way referees and their assistants go out to make mistakes. It happens in every game up and down the country and is part of football. Just think of all the decisions they got right.

There is some disappointment in the penalty awarded given that it appears the ref could not be 100% sure of what he saw but it happens.

Exactly. They are just the same as the players on the field. They have good days and bad ones.. ie they are human .  

Other than the obvious penalty call, I think the only thing I would say about him was he appeared a littlle too quick to blow up for fouls. Stopping the game too much.

Time to move on.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Exactly. They are just the same as the players on the field. They have good days and bad ones.. ie they are human .  

Other than the obvious penalty call, I think the only thing I would say about him was he appeared a littlle too quick to blow up for fouls. Stopping the game too much.

Time to move on.

PS on the Armsrtong thing, at the time, I thought he was looking for it (and felt slightly embarrassed on how he went down, only now seeing it was a clear block), I only saw what the lino did. It's all so easy with the replays.

It just goes to show what a bastard job they have really.

A thankless task.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1

A 50/50 shoulder to shoulder can be difficult to get right, the wrong angle makes it look better or worse than it is so refs can be forgiven.

There's absolutely no attempt to play or even shield the ball here. He's been done by Armstrong and from a standing start takes him out 2-3 meters from the ball and moves a meter to the right to do so, anyone who's played the game knows his sole aim is to take the player out.

• Like 4

On 17/08/2024 at 21:46, Curr Avon said:

I think that's a bit unfair Ian. But if that's you're view as a moderator I'll quit this forum, virtue or otherwise.

It's perfectly fair your just baiting others so you can come down on them with a holier than though attitude. Close the door behind you!

Edited by frenchred

11 hours ago, David Brent said:

I agree that being a referee is a thankless job & extremely difficult - but giving penalties based on a "gut instict" is atrocious!

Unless they clearly see a deliberate & definite would then the decision should be "play on"

11 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

PS on the Armsrtong thing, at the time, I thought he was looking for it (and felt slightly embarrassed on how he went down, only now seeing it was a clear block), I only saw what the lino did. It's all so easy with the replays.

It just goes to show what a bastard job they have really.

A thankless task.

I could see the impact from my seat in the Dolman. How the lino didn’t flag when he was a few feet from it is a mystery.

Unusually, they didn't get many throw-in or off-side decisions wrong, but both linesmen gave the ref no assistance whatsoever in spotting fouls. 

• Like 1

The penalty is absolutely the reason for having VAR.

Unfortunately the muppets in Stockley Park would probably be using handball law 1.13.136, from which they would determine that defender tanner was in an unnatural position, i.e. a defending in his own penalty area, so handball, penalty and no clear and obvious error.

Oh, and it's against Bristol City, so that's ok!

16 hours ago, RSW8 said:

Not sure which is worse, the ref not giving the foul or the linesman not flagging from no more than 5 yards away. Embarrassing officiating from both but pretty much sums up the current standard in the championship. 

To be fair they were consistent……. In favouring Millwall in almost every single decision 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Just clipped the GBH!

How on earth was that not given a free kick?!

As I said previously on this thread - the ref was appalling all afternoon. He was falling for Millwall's every fall to the ground, yet was ignoring ours. Diabolical display.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I could see the impact from my seat in the Dolman. How the lino didn’t flag when he was a few feet from it is a mystery.

Unusually, they didn't get many throw-in or off-side decisions wrong, but both linesmen gave the ref no assistance whatsoever in spotting fouls. 

I've seen free kicks given when a player trips himself up! 'Celebrity' players like Ronaldo are given free kicks 99.9 per cent of the time and he can trip over a feather! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, David Brent said:

You can't guess though. If you didn't see a handball then don't give a handball, end of story......and had he done that he would have been proven correct too.

The disappointment in the penalty awarded is that it was 100% a blatantly incorrect decision. There isn't even the smallest element of doubt, nothing.

20 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Seen some comments it was embarrassing the way Armstrong went down holding his head, perhaps this is why

image.png.452cd8cb5f17135050a8c5c148ad6e31.png

You could see by Cooper's body language that he was expecting the free kick to be given. Once the disappointment of the result subsided a bit I bet Millwall's lads were having a laugh about that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

You can't guess though. If you didn't see a handball then don't give a handball, end of story......and had he done that he would have been proven correct too.

The disappointment in the penalty awarded is that it was 100% a blatantly incorrect decision. There isn't even the smallest element of doubt, nothing.

No, I completely agree. It was disappointing that the ref chose to guess. I think that refs make educated guesses a lot of the time but they can’t be doing it for big calls like that.