IGNORED

Previous 4-3's

PossetRobin

Think the last 4-3 win at the Gate for us was in 2006 in FA Cup v Gillingham. Jevons got a hat trick. 

In the league you have to go back to April 1996 when we beat a Rotherham side containing Shaun Goater MBE and Nigel Jemson.

My favourite is Boxing Day 1984 when we beat Argyle with a late dodgy penalty. Bobby Hutchinson and Alan Walsh got two each. Tynan got a hat trick for them.

The standout away 4-3 was when we beat Derby in September 1992. Live on ITV, 2-0 down after 12 mins, Jacki running the show, Wayne the Chief scored 88min winner.

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, PossetRobin said:

My favourite is Boxing Day 1984 when we beat Argyle with a late dodgy penalty. Bobby Hutchinson and Alan Walsh got two each. Tynan got a hat trick for the

Mine too 

Andy comyn coming on as sub for derby. First touch within 5 seconds was an own goal.

Were being battered until Steve Sutton got sent off.

29 minutes ago, PossetRobin said:

The standout away 4-3 was when we beat Derby in September 1992. Live on ITV, 2-0 down after 12 mins, Jacki running the show, Wayne the Chief scored 88min winner.

• Like 3

Opening day of the season and Dolman Stand in August 1970 - City 4 Sunderland 3

1-0 Sharpe[16] / 1-1 Kerr[18] / 2-1 Skirton[44] / 3-1 Wimshurst[63] / 3-2 Baker[72] / 3-3 Baker [74] / 4-3 Sharpe [86]

Referee Roger Kirkpatrick - remember him with the mutton-chop sideburns!!!

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, headhunter said:

1-0 Sharpe[16] / 1-1 Kerr[18] / 2-1 Skirton[44] / 3-1 Wimshurst[63] / 3-2 Baker[72] / 3-3 Baker [74] / 4-3 Sharpe [86]

Mr Pickwick !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PossetRobin said:

Think the last 4-3 win at the Gate for us was in 2006 in FA Cup v Gillingham. Jevons got a hat trick. 

In the league you have to go back to April 1996 when we beat a Rotherham side containing Shaun Goater MBE and Nigel Jemson.

My favourite is Boxing Day 1984 when we beat Argyle with a late dodgy penalty. Bobby Hutchinson and Alan Walsh got two each. Tynan got a hat trick for them.

When their keeper got sent off for hauling down Gary Shelton, and was it Simpson went in goal for them as no sub goalie.

The only 4-3 I can remember from the top of my head is the televised game v Derby. 

We should have beat the blue few 4-3 in the 3-3 draw at AG in the late 80s but we had what seemed like a perfectly good goal (Steve Neville I think) disallowed. 

Not a 4-3 but a 7 goal thriller against Millwall - 5-2 in 1974. Tuesday afternoon, due to the Three Day Week. Conveniently had a doctor’s appointment to get out of school. Pretty decent crowd if memory serves.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NDW4CITY said:

Not a 4-3 but a 7 goal thriller against Millwall - 5-2 in 1974. Tuesday afternoon, due to the Three Day Week. Conveniently had a doctor’s appointment to get out of school. Pretty decent crowd if memory serves.

Correct; City went 1-0  up, Millwall then made it 1-2 only for City to hit four more.

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

Would you have a similar breakdown of the goals from the 5-3 win over Orient in October 71? 

@slartibartfast and I were discussing it and it seems my memory is failing me. 

2 hours ago, PossetRobin said:

That game away to Derby was something else.   We went 2 down pretty quickly if I remember rightly and the game changed when their keeper hauled down Shelts!  

40 minutes ago, 22A said:

Correct; City went 1-0  up, Millwall then made it 1-2 only for City to hit four more.

Was there too, Keith Fear hat trick I remember, .....only a week or so after the famous FA cup win at Leeds,.... another 4-3 game was a loss (sadly) to Rovers...FA cup 5th round at Ashton Gate 1958.... didn't go to that one (can't remember why).

3 hours ago, PossetRobin said:

I remember the Plymouth one, My dad bought me and my Brother tickets for the Williams.

We were sat next to some Plymouth Fans, and they were pi55ed off.

Derby game was on TV, Goalie got sent off, crazy game.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Would you have a similar breakdown of the goals from the 5-3 win over Orient in October 71? 

@slartibartfast and I were discussing it and it seems my memory is failing me. 

0-1 BOWYER [18] / 0-2 BRISLEY [26] / 1-2 ROOKS [35] / 1-3 BOWYER [42] / 2-3 SPIRING [52] / 3-3 GALLEY [55] / 4-3 TAINTON [71] / 5-3 GALLEY [90]

By coincidence the opening game of that season [71/72] was home to Millwall and finished 3-3. City threw away a 2-0 lead they had with goals from Gow [3] & Sweeney [13] on his debut; almost identical timing to our first two yesterday. Garland was sold to Chelsea for £100k two weeks after that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, headhunter said:

0-1 BOWYER [18] / 0-2 BRISLEY [26] / 1-2 ROOKS [35] / 1-3 BOWYER [42] / 2-3 SPIRING [52] / 3-3 GALLEY [55] / 4-3 TAINTON [71] / 5-3 GALLEY [90]

By coincidence the opening game of that season [71/72] was home to Millwall and finished 3-3. City threw away a 2-0 lead they had with goals from Gow [3] & Sweeney [13] on his debut; almost identical timing to our first two yesterday. Garland was sold to Chelsea for £100k two weeks after that.

Thank you @slartibartfastwas right then only the two goals for Galley. :)

Great game though.

3 hours ago, headhunter said:

My first ever game. Thanks for the memory.

3 hours ago, headhunter said:

That day was keeper Cashley's birthday and his stars in the paper stated Good weekend for sport!

4 hours ago, Isawjonshaw said:

That game away to Derby was something else.   We went 2 down pretty quickly if I remember rightly and the game changed when their keeper hauled down Shelts!  

• Like 1

4-3 is nothing!

I went to a Mansfield away game in 2002 Mansfield 4 Bristol City 5. Best game Ive ever watched following Bristol City. the highlights of the game is on YouTube somewhere.

Edited by fisherrich
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, fisherrich said:

4-3 is nothing!

I went to a Mansfield away game in 2002 Mansfield 4 Bristol City 5. Best game Ive ever watched following Bristol City. the highlights of the game is on YouTube somewhere.

Don't forget the 5-5 draw with Hull City at Ashton Gate, that was my brother's first live City game in nearly 20 years and he was dumbstruck that some fans were booing at the end.

He thought it was amazing, I guess he was enough divorced from it that he almost seemed like a neutral.

• Like 1

Also a memorable 4-3 away win at Colchester (April 2000) - I scored a penalty at half time!

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Don't forget the 5-5 draw with Hull City at Ashton Gate, that was my brother's first live City game in nearly 20 years and he was dumbstruck that some fans were booing at the end.

He thought it was amazing, I guess he was enough divorced from it that he almost seemed like a neutral.

That was the first game I took my fiancee to - she's not a football fan, more into rugby (I warned her not to expect many points). Despite this, it's usually a high scoring game when I take her to see City, she was there on Saturday too!

Edited by Always Believesham
  • Like 1

What the Derby away match taught me was how quickly despair in football can turn to incredible optimism. I always think of that game when City (or England) look like they are out of a game.

Derby took an early two goal lead and looked the team most likely to score again. Then the Derby keeper Sutton hauled down Shelton in the penalty area with the City midfielder looking about to score. Sutton was shown red and City had a penalty which was converted.

Seconds earlier anyone given the choice of being in Derby's boots or City's would've gone with the home side as they were two up and looking good. But all of a sudden it was 2-1 and City were playing against ten men with an outfield player in the Derby goal with more than an hour of the game to go. The odds had now shifted firmly into City's favour. At the end of the day Derby played well to lose 3-4. But I have always used that match ever since as a yardstick when thinking things can suddenly change for the better from the pits of despair.

22 hours ago, 22A said:

That day was keeper Cashley's birthday and his stars in the paper stated Good weekend for sport!

If I remember rightly someone put a birthday gift in the goalmouth for Cash, though it could have been a different game 😀

On 18/08/2024 at 11:11, PossetRobin said:

The 4-3 win over Plymouth in 1984 was my first game at Ashton Gate. Haven’t seen another 4-3 win for City at AG until now

23 hours ago, fisherrich said:

4-3 is nothing!

• Like 1

On 18/08/2024 at 12:02, headhunter said:

And Jim Montgomery got booked for time wasting just before we got the last goal!!

Just now, Denbury Red said:

And Jim Montgomery got booked for time wasting just before we got the last goal!!

Sunderland's goalkeeper for those not old enough to remember!!

On 19/08/2024 at 13:36, Port Said Red said:

I remember walking out listening to all the moans and thinking `Chill out, you`ve just witnessed something you`ll likely never see again`

• Like 2

On 19/08/2024 at 18:05, fisherrich said:

That’s the one!

The craziest game Ive ever watched. A lot of City fans left when we were 4-2 down - just mad. City didn’t even play well!!. Just listen to the City fans on that video!!

I was there and it was mental.

There was also a 4-4 draw away at Notts County that I was at around that time.

• Like 1

On 19/08/2024 at 17:48, MSN Red said:

The 4-3 win over Plymouth in 1984 was my first game at Ashton Gate. Haven’t seen another 4-3 win for City at AG until now

Yes that was a boxing day game. Tommy Tynan playing for Plymouth if I remember. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mozo said:

I was there and it was mental.

There was also a 4-4 draw away at Notts County that I was at around that time.

I remember the 4-4 in the cup at home to Wrexham in about 77. We got dicked 3-0 in the replay, bloody Dixie McNeil, the 70s version of David Kelly and Steve Bull!

• Like 1

I remember the 5-5 draw with Hull for unusual reasons.

I was abroad and just came in as the game was finishing and thought instead of looking up the score I’d go through the whole game via the clubs Twitter feed.

I couldn’t believe what I was reading, every time I got to a GOAL! tweet I shouted the score out to my wife. She thought I was going mad