IGNORED

Mehmeti

11 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

We rarely get enough runners in the box. I can't understand why this has not improved under front foot Manning.

I thought this was much improved Vs Millwall and then when Twine came on we had two players (Twine and Bird) capable of finding them so much better than last season.

The way we responded when going a goal down was brilliant and constantly getting people in behind was a big factor in that.

11 minutes ago, MythikRobins said:

I don’t think we have a left-winger at this point who is more competent or more proven. Our left-wing options are Mehmeti, Bell, Morrison, Nelson end of list. I think you’d be hard pressed to call any of them better than Mehmeti.

Twine can also play there but he won’t not under manning. Maybe Yu can play there ans a result of his two footedness, and he looks exciting, but I think he was signed as a right-sided option. 

9 minutes ago, mozo said:

What choice has Manning had?

Bell or Mehmeti? Or play Pring higher up?

He's not a winger.

He's a left sided AM.

Totally different approach. 

3 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

If he's genuinely been told that then it's madness.

The problem is that it doesn't come off once or twice a game. It comes off once or twice a season.

If that's his natural game then congratulations to him. I'm jealous, I wish I could play football like that. But it's not conducive to team performance. 

Find his stats and see what the outcome is. Bottom quartile for passes attempted and pass completion, and guess what that leads to...bottom quartile for shot creation. The carries, take-ons, and 2.5 shots per game are all great until you put them next to those dreadful pass/creation stats and a mere 0.18xG per game. All those runs and all those shots amounting to nothing more than a vague fart at goal.

He's a footballing vampire. He sucks the life out of attacks and keeps it for himself.

Stats ⬇️⬇️⬇️

image.thumb.png.85df3b80a9313dbb7de90559b3e49723.png

I think his game is slowly improving.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Technically he’s actually a very good footballer, it’s the usage and awareness that’s the issue. And to be fair, he did win a couple of aerial balls yesterday which I’ve not seen him do much of.

The problem with Anis is that he slows the game up a lot. If he receives the ball, his first thought is to not “read” the game and look for a pass/team mate but to control the ball and beat his man. Nothing wrong with that but it happens every time and as such teams are wise to it and can funnel back by the time he’s moved the play on again.

The awareness piece can be illustrated by the chance referenced above where he cut inside and shot. As he received the ball, Max Bird was coming in on his right in an excellent position to pass into his path and create a far better chance. He didn’t do it, looked to beat his man and score a difficult chance - and sometimes it’ll come off but more often than not it won’t. I also saw a clip from the Cov game where Stokes cut the ball back and he was static.

Ive been clear I’m not a fan, but that’s not for skill reasons - he’s probably one of the most skilful players we have which is why I think Liam likes him. The problem is that we’re a slower team with him in it, and he’s not good enough as a “maverick” to outweigh his negatives.

The most difficult thing to coach is between the ears. Thats really where he is as opposed to not being a very good technical footballer.

Also far too one footed

41 minutes ago, mozo said:

I think Williams is at threat if Twine comes in.

Anis is more in competition with Hirakawa imo, so I think he'll start the next 2 games at least. Big opportunity for him.

Brian says Hirakawa has been signed to play on the right!

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

And yet he starts most games so clearly Manning must see something in him that you don’t…………:cool2:

Yes Manning sees him daily  in training. So there must be something he is seeing. But I do feel Mehmeti and Sykes are the two to drop to develop our midfield and wide attacking options. Esp. When Yu is fit 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Twine looked great coming inside from the left v Milwall, think he played from the left for MK Dons/Burnley too.

He can definitely do that role, but it involves a bit more defensive work than the number 10 role. Hearing Manning talk about how 'Twiney' needs freedom to play, I suspect he'll be central.

30 minutes ago, spudski said:

He's not a winger.

He's a left sided AM.

Either way, who else would Manning have played there?

Just now, Davefevs said:

Brian says Hirakawa has been signed to play on the right!

Eff me! Really? I missed that and had assumed all along that they would see him as one of those wide players that cuts in from the left. Interesting....

4 minutes ago, mozo said:

He can definitely do that role, but it involves a bit more defensive work than the number 10 role. Hearing Manning talk about how 'Twiney' needs freedom to play, I suspect he'll be central.

Either way, who else would Manning have played there?

Eff me! Really? I missed that and had assumed all along that they would see him as one of those wide players that cuts in from the left. Interesting....

How two footed us Yu ? Can he play either wing. That makes him extra dangerous for us 

7 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

How two footed us Yu ? Can he play either wing. That makes him extra dangerous for us 

He played either wing for Machida this season. Pretty much 50/50

• Thanks 1

I’ve just clipped his game, including off the ball stuff too, and I think he’s generally had an alright game, nothing special (bar the goal), nothing bad.  A couple of misplaced passes where you’d generally expect him to make the pass.  Some lost possessions under pressure or trying to deal with a bad pass.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

He’s predominantly right footed.  So with Mozo’s response you can glean that if he plays left, he’s gonna be cutting back inside onto his right (in the main).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Stats ⬇️⬇️⬇️

From when he first came in , and looked a very "one trick pony" , he has improved and expanded his game. Under Pearson he seemed to be found out quite quickly and his early promise subsided. When NP brought him back in he had obviously worked on his short comings. 
From the outside I thought he was far too one footed and cut back on his right virtually every time. In my mind that was why Bell got starts ahead of him. IMO he needs to work on his awareness and final ball still. 
Now he is much happier going outside, I should probably phrase that as will go outside , it still doesn't look natural  . That said he is still a work in progress.
Personally I would like to keep Sykes and rotate Mehmeti & Yu . At least we have options. 

20 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Also far too one footed

He is better than he was, still favours his right understandably but he can / has shot with his left , Middlesboro wasn't he scored a cracker . I think he needs to work more , needs to be able to get to the line and cross occasionally to keep the FB on his toes . 

• Like 2

We've got some nice selection headaches for our AMs.

Yu and Sykes on the right...as well as Earthy.

Twine, Earthy, Bird, TGH in the middle.

Mehmetis, Twine, Yu on the left. 

You can put Wells in that mix as well. 

Some nice options.

Then Benarous when he's fit. 

Some won't even make the match day squad. 

Can see it being a tough season for TGH..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He’s predominantly right footed.  So with Mozo’s response you can glean that if he plays left, he’s gonna be cutting back inside onto his right and smashing the ball into the far top corner (in the main).

Just finished your sentence for you Fevs 👍

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Stats ⬇️⬇️⬇️

As I say I've seen the stats. I know where he is in that respect. I also think it's a case where his numbers support the eye. Those passing figures are surely a concern and they just support the fact that once he gets into that final third he just forgets about the other 9 red shirts.

He's got some admirable traits, and it's useful to have a player like him in the squad, but for me that's what he is - squad player. Bench. Impact. Starts specific games against specific opposition.

He's not, for me, a player who should start ever game regardless of the opposition or the game plan.

As for the goal yesterday. It was good but a) it was nothing to do with the kind of play I'm critical of, and b) there was a healthy slice of luck in the ball squirming through the defender's legs to get to him. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

He's got some admirable traits, and it's useful to have a player like him in the squad, but for me that's what he is - squad player. Bench. Impact. Starts specific games against specific opposition.

He's not, for me, a player who should start ever game regardless of the opposition or the game plan.

Most of our players are!

Most of our players aren’t!

😉

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

As I say I've seen the stats. I know where he is in that respect. I also think it's a case where his numbers support the eye. Those passing figures are surely a concern and they just support the fact that once he gets into that final third he just forgets about the other 9 red shirts.

As for the goal yesterday. It was good but a) it was nothing to do with the kind of play I'm critical of, and b) there was a healthy slice of luck in the ball squirming through the defender's legs to get to him. 

I would definitely agree that he's in danger of becoming an impact sub if he doesn't find consistency pretty soon. But then with inevitable injuries and a long season, I guess he'll get plenty of minutes.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Most of our players are!

Most of our players aren’t!

😉

Right...so why is Anis?

I dunno mate, maybe I was excited for him to join us, then thought "oh ok he's trying to impress, Nigel will sort his out and get him passing"...and now 18 months later he's still playing like he's the best kid in the school team.

I'm disappointed really, and that manifests as a desire to sack him off. Petty and small-minded? Probably. But sue me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Right...so why is Anis?

I dunno mate, maybe I was excited for him to join us, then thought "oh ok he's trying to impress, Nigel will sort his out and get him passing"...and now 18 months later he's still playing like he's the best kid in the school team.

I'm disappointed really, and that manifests as a desire to sack him off. Petty and small-minded? Probably. But sue me.

Who would you have played there last season?

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He’s predominantly right footed.  So with Mozo’s response you can glean that if he plays left, he’s gonna be cutting back inside onto his right (in the main).

Ok that gives yes in game position changing options. If we assume Yu to start wide right who starts wide left ,,? I am taking Central midfield Twine 10 in front of Knight and Bird. I appreciate there are options here 

11 minutes ago, mozo said:

I would definitely agree that he's in danger of becoming an impact sub if he doesn't find consistency pretty soon. But then with inevitable injuries and a long season, I guess he'll get plenty of minutes.

At a goal in every 9 games for City (including the last one), he's only just behind Sykes and Bell (a goal in every 8 ) and miles ahead of Cornick (one goal every 13).  I don't think Twine's been brought in to play on the left-wing, so I'd suggest that Hirakawa is Mehmeti's rival for that berth and he is, as of now, an unknown quantity.

Not to sure if we will see Twine wide left... recall last season in December home to Hull City he was played wide left for the Tigers..  did not seem at all happy stuck out wide and TBH quite ineffective... remember thinking what the fuss was about in regards to Scott Twine...Think I have read LM saying he plays in the middle at his best ?  A left winger..in the traditional sense, Anis still the  best bet.

Edited by DT The Optimist

7 minutes ago, mozo said:

Guaranteed starters:

O'Leary

Vyner

Dickie

Knight 

Bird

[TBC: Twiney 💟]

Which leaves about 20 players who aren’t.

4 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Right...so why is Anis?

My only answer is it’s a squad game.  Personally I think it is for all players, even the ones in Mozo’s list.

The championship is tough, not everyone finds it easy to be one of the best players.  There were 657 outfield players in the champ last season.

9 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Ok that gives yes in game position changing options. If we assume Yu to start wide right who starts wide left ,,? I am taking Central midfield Twine 10 in front of Knight and Bird. I appreciate there are options here 

Dunno!!!  That’s a serious answer btw.  As it stands Mehmeti holds the shirt.  He might lose in as early as Coventry!!!

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

I thought it improved notably in that last game. The difference it would seem to me is the more robust Armstrong and Mayulu are not pushed off the ball as easily as Bell, Conway and Wells were, while retaining the close ball control that only Wells really has. This allowed team-mates to menace the goal and/or receive the ball to pass back to our front men. 

Key words, rarely and enough. I should had said significantly improved as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hinsleburg said:

I thought this was much improved Vs Millwall and then when Twine came on we had two players (Twine and Bird) capable of finding them so much better than last season.

The way we responded when going a goal down was brilliant and constantly getting people in behind was a big factor in that.

Key words, rarely and enough. I should had said significantly improved as well.

2 hours ago, mozo said:

What choice has Manning had?

Bell or Mehmeti? Or play Pring higher up?

LM now has Twine and Earthy to compete for a spot in the engine room. It’ll be interesting to see if he starts on Saturday.

My guess is that he’ll be on the bench.

17 minutes ago, Robbored said:

LM now has Twine and Earthy to compete for a spot in the engine room. It’ll be interesting to see if he starts on Saturday.

My guess is that he’ll be on the bench.

Yeah. You don't want to reward a player for scoring a goal... :facepalm:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Yeah. You don't want to reward a player for scoring a goal... :facepalm:

So because he scored a goal he automatically starts next game?………:dunno:

That would mean that both Armstrong and Fally both start as well?

I can’t see that happening.

Edited by Robbored

6 hours ago, Kibs said:

Started off very much in and out of the team, but 4 goals in his last 13 league Championship appearances for City is a very good return for any winger. 

It’s easy to forget that just 4 years ago he was playing in the Essex Senior league. 

Does he make the wrong decision at times? Of course, but all wingers do. I’d love to see him mix it up more and get the early pass away occasionally. 

It’s a big season for him with the players we’ve signed but it’s his shirt to lose at the moment.

Glad you mentioned the first bit on goals. I’m reading some of the comments and they are at odds with my impressions that Liam is getting more “output” from him. I agree he has plenty of improvement to make but his output is improving.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

At a goal in every 9 games for City (including the last one), he's only just behind Sykes and Bell (a goal in every 8 ) and miles ahead of Cornick (one goal every 13).  I don't think Twine's been brought in to play on the left-wing, so I'd suggest that Hirakawa is Mehmeti's rival for that berth and he is, as of now, an unknown quantity.

A goal in every nine but seemingly heading in the right direction…….

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spudski said:

We've got some nice selection headaches for our AMs.

Yu and Sykes on the right...as well as Earthy.

Twine, Earthy, Bird, TGH in the middle.

Mehmetis, Twine, Yu on the left. 

You can put Wells in that mix as well. 

Some nice options.

Then Benarous when he's fit. 

Some won't even make the match day squad. 

Can see it being a tough season for TGH..

What we’ve now got is varying types of player and that always gives you a chance. The obvious position being up front where you have a battering ram causing all sorts of carnage up there and when you take him off a big bastard with a nice touch and a quality finish in him. You can also go vice versa with those options. Hopefully the days of opposition defences having a cigar on from minute 1 will be much fewer and further between.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spudski said:

He's not a winger.

He's a left sided AM.

Not really when we are playing 4-2-3-1, which is what we've played in every game bar late on in the Millwall game. He does play left sided attacking midfield when we play 3-4-2-1 but obviously then Twine plays. When the played together last season Mehmeti went right sided AM thats unlikely to happen now thanks to Bird.

Edited by MythikRobins

One thing's for sure, "flair" players tend to be quite competitive when it comes to trying to please the crowd. 

Looking at Yu's clips again and thinking about having the prospect of him being added to our options is giving me goosebumps. :)

One thing is for sure, those who claim that the football under Manning is predictable and boring may have to find something else to moan about in future.

2 hours ago, mozo said:

He played either wing for Machida this season. Pretty much 50/50

Yep: pops everywhere on these clips and can go inside or outside from either flank.

Edited by Port Said Red

5 minutes ago, MythikRobins said:

Not really when we are playing 4-2-3-1, which is what we've played in every game bar late on in the Millwall game. He does play left sided attacking midfield when we play 3-4-2-1 but obviously then Twine plays. When the played together last season Mehmeti went right sided AM thats unlikely to happen now thanks to Bird.

We don't ever play ' wingers'.

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

One thing's for sure, "flair" players tend to be quite competitive when it comes to trying to please the crowd. 

Looking at Yu's clips again and thinking about having the prospect of him being added to our options is giving me goosebumps. :)

One thing is for sure, those who claim that the football under Manning is predictable and boring may have to find something else to moan about in future.

Yep: pops everywhere on these clips and can go inside or outside from either flank.

It was predictable and boring but that was seemingly down to Liam trying to impose his football on lads that couldn’t get to grips with it. Signing Bird, a couple of 10’s and two front lads able to play on their own up there should change that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

What we’ve now got is varying types of player and that always gives you a chance. The obvious position being up front where you have a battering ram causing all sorts of carnage up there and when you take him off a big bastard with a nice touch and a quality finish in him. You can also go vice versa with those options. Hopefully the days of opposition defences having a cigar on from minute 1 will be much fewer and further between.

It's nice to have a more balanced squad with options. 

• Like 1

Just now, spudski said:

We don't ever play ' wingers'.

Not in the traditional sense of the role of winger, he's more of an "inverted winger" if you were to put a name to it:

image.png.51daf59316f0a7eca5944d25534c4d9a.png

Average positions against Milwall obviously #11 is the highlight here.

image.png.3a8e1a2cbbae66ef83b27a7c65e109d6.png

Compared to when we did play with two attacking midfielders against Rotherham. The biggest spot of comparison is the two wingers (#17 and #11 in the first picture, and the two attacking midfielders #11 and #7 in the second picture). Their positioning is generally way more central with the wingbacks occupying the width.

If I could I'd like to compare Mehmeti's positioning at left-sided attacking midfield vs left-wing because he's certainly played both.

Mehmeti is an amazingly frustrating player. He has all the ability, but never seems to know when to do the quick, simple thing eg just lay it off...it's like he has something to prove every time he gets the ball.

Took his goal really well, however.

The jury is out for me. 
It’s been a long time since we’ve had a player who could take on defenders and beat them - and I wouldn’t want to stifle that skill - it’s something that I could hardly ever do as a player. 
However, his vision is poor - like people have said he puts his head down and fails to notice (or ignores) teammates in better positions. 
Again, I wouldn’t want him to be pushed into looking for the pass all the time when he could shoot for goal.

I think he CAN improve - he already has since NP. It will take careful coaching. 
For me, I would use him as a ‘Grealish’ type - as an impact sub when teams park the bus and we can’t break them down to use his tricks to draw the fouls and maybe get a few penalties by running at them - which is what he’s good at. 

Edited by bcfcredandwhite
Add words

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

In fairness Msnning admitted himself they were far too rigid in the structure, so not a claim! 👀

47 minutes ago, MythikRobins said:

Not in the traditional sense of the role of winger, he's more of an "inverted winger" if you were to put a name to it:

Compared to when we did play with two attacking midfielders against Rotherham. The biggest spot of comparison is the two wingers (#17 and #11 in the first picture, and the two attacking midfielders #11 and #7 in the second picture). Their positioning is generally way more central with the wingbacks occupying the width.

If I could I'd like to compare Mehmeti's positioning at left-sided attacking midfield vs left-wing because he's certainly played both.

The big problem with heatmaps are those players who buzz around all over the pitch.  Because they are based on an Average Position.  Depends on data source but this was Knight’s activity map on Saturday.

IMG_1382.jpeg.f0e4d1afd2188f73f00984a68bc270f3.jpeg

Actually very little in the middle of the pitch, but the average of the pic you used shows him in the centre circle.

Here’s his pass map too.

IMG_1381.jpeg.f487e316144c3418f2654d3e96e0e9f5.jpeg

As for Mehmeti, is there really much difference between Left Winger and Left-Sided midfielder?  Wyscout says he played 85% as LSM / 15% LW, and that’s probably an arbitrary decision made by the person coding the positions.

IMG_1383.jpeg

IMG_1384.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

The next question regards Mehmeti is when do think about extending his contract? In January it will have 18 months left.

By January we should know whether his direction of travel is obviously rather than seemingly going the right way.

16 hours ago, BS3 Ark at Ee said:

He reminds me of Ryan Kent…..I believe he’s a great talent but he needs to relax a bit….like he’s trying too hard. I also think he may lack pace at this level and maybe that might hold him back 

He he, Ryan Kent did not put a foot right in City. The frenchmen who was here also on loan was bad. Compare to Kent he was Ronaldo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

So because he scored a goal he automatically starts next game?………:dunno:

That would mean that both Armstrong and Fally both start as well?

I can’t see that happening.

They'll both play and as we don't have Hirakawa fit, I expect he'll start. I don't foresee Twine, who may start, playing on the left wing.  

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

I never seen a sentence like that describing a player before………essentially you’re saying that he’s greedy. I don’t agree with that at all but I do think that he goes awol too often. Apart from his goal I can’t recall much else from him on Saturday. He was replaced after an hour for Twine.

Like you I’d like to his stats on what he contributes.

Don't think he went AWOL honestly...it's just his contributions after the goal consisted of poor giveaways, off target efforts and lost 50/50s...

1 hour ago, MythikRobins said:

See Dave Fevs post. We play with wide AMs and wide defenders. 

None of them are wingers or 'flying' full backs.

We like to play expansive. Widen the pitch and length, to create space. 

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

In fairness Msnning admitted himself they were far too rigid in the structure, so not a claim! 👀

The big problem with heatmaps are those players who buzz around all over the pitch.  Because they are based on an Average Position.  Depends on data source but this was Knight’s activity map on Saturday.

IMG_1382.jpeg.f0e4d1afd2188f73f00984a68bc270f3.jpeg

Actually very little in the middle of the pitch, but the average of the pic you used shows him in the centre circle.

Here’s his pass map too.

IMG_1381.jpeg.f487e316144c3418f2654d3e96e0e9f5.jpeg

As for Mehmeti, is there really much difference between Left Winger and Left-Sided midfielder?  Wyscout says he played 85% as LSM / 15% LW, and that’s probably an arbitrary decision made by the person coding the positions.

IMG_1383.jpeg

IMG_1384.jpeg

I was hoping with that last sentence it'd attract you :P. I don't think its much of a difference with his general play more how it affects the team around him and the team selection. Mehmeti can do both its more about who he competes with in each role.

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Dunno!!!  That’s a serious answer btw.  As it stands Mehmeti holds the shirt.  He might lose in as early as Coventry!!!

I know Mehmeti & Sykes will be needed over a the season but I do not see either as first 11 . When we fully fit squad.

9 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

I know Mehmeti & Sykes will be needed over a the season but I do not see either as first 11 . When we fully fit squad.

If I did subscribe to a “first 11”, I agree.  But football is a funny game.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I wouldn’t want him to be pushed into looking for the pass all the time when he could shoot for goal.

Unfortunately he still doesn't play with his 'head up', therefore he can't see whether to pass it or run with it, so he carries on running with it! If he can't learn that skill then I think he'll be used less and less.

Would imagine Hirakawa will displace Anis by mid sept but we shall see. Like you guys said, flashes of brilliance, odd goal but probably not enough. Also feel he lacks pace for a winger. Would love to be proved wrong as there is a player in there somewhere. Hope he can get a bit more consistency going and work on his overall game.

4 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Yeah it's not as simple as a constant starting 11. But with recent new signings the pecking order seems to be changing.

I’m sure that many of us older fans will remember years ago when the starting 11 was the same every game, the only changes happened if any players were injured. Back then the squads weren’t as big as they are now.

These days most club have far more players which can cause the manager a selection headache. I sure someone here will know if Manning has played the same starting 11 in consecutive games……….:dunno:

• Hmmm 1

It’s all well and good saying his stats (particularly assists) are poor, but realistically, we have to consider that we have not been getting bodies in the box since he has played here, particularly under LM last season. The only way he could produce a goal/assist is through a wonder moment, such as against Ipswich last season.

Took his goal well yesterday, I believe that we should be giving him a fresh slate this season. Particularly now that LM has had the pre-season to implement his style and we have changed our attacking options. There is still a lot of room for improvement from Anis at 23, it didn’t click for Antoine until this sort of age and similar things were said about his (and his stats) before it did.

• Like 1

For me the performance against Coventry should be the last appearance for some time.

We have been really patient with this player but as it is I fail to see what he brings to the team. 

He rarely takes his man on and when he does he almost always loses the ball.

He loves the sideways and backward pass and always slows things down

He lacks courage in physical games

You could say he is showing low confidence but how many more chances will he get. 

For me he is a player playing in 1 division too high. I think a loan would be good for him and the team if we could bring in somebody more suited to the Championship.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

He’s had a lot of opportunities and has failed to deliver. There has been some excellent moments but all too few.

I do agree he is currently a level too high at the moment along with a few other players in and around the first team. Bell being another one (which I’ve said from day one).

Coventry game summed it up for me. The quality of substitutions made were the difference in this club pushing for a top 8 finish than a mid table one. We still lack overall quality of squad depth for a play off push. 

• Like 1

Bit harsh.

I thought he had played well in the first two games and actually showed some improvement on last season, playing with his head up. Not so good in his sub appearance against Coventry.

Unlucky to be dropped for that game imo.

I think his Ciry career is very much in the balance, and this will be an important season for him. 

Having reshaped the squad this season, I think that left side of midfield is the one area that we'll recruit for next summer. 

I just don’t think he’s at the level of consistency needed. He’s not a bad player but my word how he didn’t bust a gut to get on the end of Bird’s cross with an open goal beckoning is just poor play. To me it showed up his key weakness, which is a complete lack of awareness and speed of thought.

• Like 1