IGNORED

Biggest City transfer excitement - ever.

Br 1st ol

In light of Twines recent signing, in terms of noise, anticipation and excitement, at the time of the announcement, I nominate the following in order:

1. Super Scotty’s return from reading 

2. Joe Jordan the player 

3. Jacki D

4. Twine

5. Lee Trundle 

(not sure DJ was quite as exciting)

Any others to challenge the above?

David James. I remember following it on the 606 forum back in the day. Signing the England goalkeeper seemed too good to be true. Of course it turned out to be a disappointment but still…

Edited by WarksRobin
  • Like 7

33 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

David James. I remember following it on the 606 forum back in the day. Signing the England goalkeeper seemed too good to be true. Of course it turned out to be a disappointment but still…

I saw him in the FA cup final that May, and couldn’t believe someone of that quality was coming.  He nearly single handedly kept Chelsea out.  

Such a shame how it turned out when he did join. 

• Like 1

David James by far the biggest. It had people that don't even like football talking about it and there were all sorts of rumours after that we were in for people like Michael Owen as well

2nd biggest after that might be the summer of Stewart and Bridges

In 3rd I'd put signing Tomlin on a permanent

Good examples of why it's best not to get to excited as a City fan 😂

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Roe said:

David James by far the biggest. It had people that don't even like football talking about it and there were all sorts of rumours after that we were in for people like Michael Owen as well

2nd biggest after that might be the summer of Stewart and Bridges

In 3rd I'd put signing Tomlin on a permanent

Good examples of why it's best not to get to excited as a City fan 😂

I was going to say Stewart and Bridges

David James has to be up there though as England number 1 at the time, thought we were really going somewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fly in the air said:

Back in the Day when we brought Alan Walsh for 18k from Darlington. what a player he was. 

How could you be excited by the arrival of Alan Walsh? No one knew him!

He did turn out to be something a little bit special mind you!

Terry Cooper twice. Firstly when he signed as a player and second when he re-signed as player-manager

Chris Crowe and Alan Skirton were big signings though this was in the day when Division 1 players didn’t earn very much and moved down the leagues towards the end of their career 

Evander Sno was an exciting signing after his performance against City in a friendly but it didn’t turn out as expected 

Edited by pongo88
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Clearly David James had the most 'wow' factor. 

I do remember being very excited when we signed Maynard and later when we signed Pitman too. Two young, prolific strikers who were highly thought of. 

Definitely David James as the most exciting - it was unbelievable that we were signing the guy with his CV, who in his last game appearance had been the England goal keeper at the World Cup.

Also, after the huge success of his loan spell, the permanent signing of Lee Tomlin.

I also remember getting particularly excited over the signing of Sean Dyche - away on holiday & rining club call every day for updates as that was the only way of getting any info.! 

Oh and also Marcus Stewart & Michael Bridges was very exciting at the time.

I think it's best that I never get excited about any signing ever again, based on the levels of success of each of those cases.!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I saw him in the FA cup final that May, and couldn’t believe someone of that quality was coming.  He nearly single handedly kept Chelsea out.  

Such a shame how it turned out when he did join. 

I will never forget his impression of Superman where he flew through the air and promptly punched the ball into his own net.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bernard Lerring said:

Tomlin arrived here after Twine levels of build up

Far more imo, Tomlin was incredible in his loan spell. I’d take ‘loan Tomlin’ over Twine every single day of the week. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Br 1st ol said:

In light of Twines recent signing, in terms of noise, anticipation and excitement, at the time of the announcement, I nominate the following in order:

2. Joe Jordan the player 

3. Jacki D

4. Twine

5. Lee Trundle 

Norman Hunter. Jie Royal. Chris Garlands return.

Different gravy really.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Unan said:

Far more imo, Tomlin was incredible in his loan spell. I’d take ‘loan Tomlin’ over Twine every single day of the week. 

Do you remember Lee Trundle? another player who on his day was such an entertainer, they were very similar I think.

23 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

In our second(?) season back in the top sphere there was a lot of noise about signing one Gerry Francis from QPR, even AD mentioned it, until...............we were quoted the price of £500k (I think the record was then £750k)............end of speculation !

We were also linked to signing John Tudor and Alan Gowling , both top strikers. 
Very exciting but came to nothing. 

• Like 1

I was amazed when it was announced on the radio that "Bristol City had signed Jacki from Celtic".

What are we doing, signing players like that? was my immediate reaction.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Br 1st ol said:

2. Joe Jordan the player 

3. Jacki D

4. Twine

5. Lee Trundle 

Trundle didn't even come close. I thought it was a mistake to sign him.

Jacki was the big one for me.

Edited by SecretSam

26 minutes ago, Unan said:

I'm sure the crowd were chanting "Lansdown sign him up..." during the loan spell?!

23 minutes ago, pillred said:

Do you remember Lee Trundle? another player who on his day was such an entertainer, they were very similar I think.

I wasn't particularly excited by the Lee Trundle signing.

He was well known & Soccer AM famous for his show boating, but had only ever played at lower levels & was a bit of a gamble.

Had his moments & some good games, but was generally a bit hit & miss here.

Tomlin had had the most outstanding loan spell with us & we had all believed that his price tag would have him out of our reach - signing him, with the hope of more of his loan spell form (obviously didn't work out that way) was far more exciting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WarksRobin said:

You got there first. 

This was by far the biggest in the "modern era" and got us headlines in the national press.

What a damp squib, James and Coppell turned out to be. 

Norman Hunter probably tops it, but you can't really compare top-flight City to second-tier City.  If by some miracle we manage to spawn our way back to that level, every signing would probably be exciting!

Weirdly for me having never heard of him before it was Kodjia...

The way it came out the blue, the Youtube videos where he just oozed class, unpredictability and absolutely no left foot meant I couldn't wait to watch him. When he smashed one in 5 minutes into his debut against Brentford I was convinced he'd score 20 goals and we'd win the league. Then Freeman decapitated someone, we lost 4-2 and Hamer in goal looked scared of the ball. Frederiks also made his debut that game and I thought that was an incredible signing and was really excited, young, key player in a promotion side the year before and in a position we needed strengthening, plus only £250k! Still gutted that one went so wrong!

That game was also interesting as we were close to signing Andre Gray who scored against us that game!

4 hours ago, Br 1st ol said:

2. Joe Jordan the player 

3. Jacki D

4. Twine

5. Lee Trundle 

There was little anticipation back in the day.  Transfers happened quickly, often within 48 hours, and sometimes the first anyone heard was when the signing (sometimes carried out at a motorway service station) was announced.

As to the five above, Scott’s return was great but he was poor for the rest of that season.  Joe Jordan’s arrival was a massive surprise.  Jacki was a disappointment for me as it meant that Super Bob left, and I think getting rid of him was a colossal mistake.  Trundle was a gimmicky lower league player who promised a lot but rarely delivered (ok, THAT goal in the play off semi final…).

I agree with those who put forward David James, though the arrivals of Norman Hunter and Joe Royle were pretty special too…

Edited by The Dolman Pragmatist
  • Like 2

More than a player transfer was Steve Coppell coming as manager.

Felt that this really was SL's statement of intent, i.e. an established top level manager and looked forward to us moving forward.

Only for it all to quickly crash and burn!!

Edited by downendcity
  • Like 4

Objectively, David James is probably the right answer. He's the signing who really turned heads on a national scale.

Kalas certainly worth a mention. For us to be signing a Czech international for £8m from Chelsea felt like a pretty big deal.

Massengo is the other one for me. A teenage superstar who had been playing in the Champions League in the previous season, plus the big hair and Monegasque background added to the aura around him. He's the one where I really thought "How on Earth have we pulled this off?!".

Edited by Supersonic Robin
  • Like 1

Lee Trundle for sure. 

Will never forget turning up to the Yeovil pre season home game at AG that summer, seeing his car in the car park with LCT 10 license plate, being very confused and my mates dad explaining to us how he’d signed. 

As a soccer AM/youtube enthused 13 year old at the time, I couldn’t quite believe my eyes!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SecretSam said:

Trundle didn't even come close. I thought it was a mistake to sign him.

Jacki was the big one for me.

Jacki was a Polish international and star player. I could not believe we signed him but obviously he had some off field issues that Celtic couldn’t deal with and ultimately neither could we but for the short time he was with us, what a player and far too good for the standard we were at. 

• Facepalm 1

Obviously it depends on your age & the era you watched us, but Norman Hunter by a country mile for me.

We were in the top tier & badly lacking any experience of that level, which he provided.

What we didn’t know then was not only could he intimidate the opposition players & brilliantly manage the ref, but eff me, he could really play.

Only the fact he played in the same position & time as Bobby Moore stopped him getting loads more England caps.

The Dziekanowski stuff by the way, just laughable, an absolute total drunken waster who only ever had about 6 good games for us in total. We sold Bob Taylor to finance that deal, too..

”Yes, but that goal he scored at Leicester”… Myth.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

I always seem to remember the signing of Scott McGarvey was seen as a bit of a coup back in the day.

i also vividly remember and also hope anyone else can remember this but the summer he signed we had one of the great fans open days that they used to run ahead of the start of season- and I always remember McGarvey was positioned on a treatment table by the side of the pitch in front of the now Lansdown stand. He was flanked by another two treatment tables which had Mark Cooper and Chris Honour on them…. All theee were signing autographs from the treatment tables.

Hopefully someone else was their and can recall??

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

We were also linked to signing John Tudor and Alan Gowling , both top strikers. 
Very exciting but came to nothing. 

Ha, I remember Tudor, we played Newcastle at home, and he was particularly useless that day. After another miss fire a plaintive cry came up from someone in the enclosure......." We don't want 'ee !" For a long time after, whenever his name got bought up in the pub, one of us would go "We don't want 'ee !"

• Haha 1

Trundle would have made more of an impact if he was played in his favoured position.

He had such quick feet and a fantastic footballing brain. 

For whatever reason he never fulfilled his potential with us. He was worshipped by Swansea fans and it must have been so hard for him to reach those highs wherever he went. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1