IGNORED

Biggest City transfer excitement - ever.

Br 1st ol

Joe Royle and Norman Hunter were big for us in Div 1 - both lived up to expectation Joe scoring 4 on debut always helps

Lee Trundle at the time was massive - a player with a cult following and so much skill. Signalled our intent in the Championship

Marcus Stewart was a personal fav and Matty Taylor just cause we pinched the gas best player

Some didn't get much hype but turned out to be very good - I put Tammy in that category came as a kid and I remember thinking we can't rely on a kid but we did

• Robin 1

7 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Trundle would have made more of an impact if he was played in his favoured position.

He had such quick feet and a fantastic footballing brain. 

For whatever reason he never fulfilled his potential with us. He was worshipped by Swansea fans and it must have been so hard for him to reach those highs wherever he went. 

I think GJ's style didn't suit Lee. He wanted the ball to feet but too often got it lumped up to him to win a header.

Norman Hunter just what we needed at the time . Great signing.

The other was John Galley was again what was needed as City couldn’t score goals. But what arrived was !!

Galley, John When City signed him, there was a photo of him in the Evening Post when he arrived in Bristol and he was on crutches. People laughed and wondered what on earth City had done now. He soon got fit, however, scored a hat-trick on his debut and never looked back. A big heart and always gave his best. A good, old-fashioned centre forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The loan Andy Cole, or the perm-signing Andy Cole?

Ah, nail on the head there, Dave.

Many of the above may have been exciting signings when they were announced (David James probably being the classic) but they largely came as a surprise. There was no pre-transfer build up, rumours etc in the way there seems to be now. And of course pre social media not many ways to generate that sort of interest.

But Andy Cole was different: after his initial loan spell, the excitement about whether we might be able to get Arsenal to sell, the pressure on the club to land his signature, the level of interest pre-signing was pretty much unprecedented as I recall.

And we were amazed when we landed him on a permanent deal. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Ah, nail on the head there, Dave.

Many of the above may have been exciting signings when they were announced (David James probably being the classic) but they largely came as a surprise. There was no pre-transfer build up, rumours etc in the way there seems to be now. And of course pre social media not many ways to generate that sort of interest.

But Andy Cole was different: after his initial loan spell, the excitement about whether we might be able to get Arsenal to sell, the pressure on the club to land his signature, the level of interest pre-signing was pretty much unprecedented as I recall.

And we were amazed when we landed him on a permanent deal. 

Yes, that was what I was alluding to, the loan of Andy Cole initially was a bit of an unknown bar a quick glance at the Rothmans to see he’d had a loan at Fulham.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

A signing which neither filled me with excitement nor anticipation but made me piss myself laughing was, of course, 🐍

Can’t believe I forgot Matty. The piss taking was superb. Bought on transfer day for peanuts! 

• Haha 1

Norman Hunter on all levels.

As a kid not living in Bristol I relied heavily on the Western Daily Press for my information and with my excitement already at fever pitch following promotion.

The news that we’d signed Norman Hunter almost had me walking into a lamppost as I read the WDP that I was supposed to be delivering on my paper round. A good majority of kids at school were Leeds fans so I’d heard enough about him.

He also lived up to the hype and I don’t think I’m the only person who thinks we would probably had got relegated in our first season up had Norman not joined us.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

David James

Stewart/Bridges

Tomlin

Freeman

Trundle.

Those are the signings that I thought “wow, what a signing”.

Going back further I was very excited when we signed Ian Baird and Leroy Rosenior, presumably because I’d seen them before on one of those crappy ‘101 greatest goals’ videos that your aunty would buy you for Christmas (which should’ve really been titled ‘101 mainly ordinary goals’).

3 hours ago, Red5 said:

Matty Taylor

Can't believe it took so long to mention this! 

As a nipper, got quite excited by Tony Thorpe, Andy Cole, the mad summer of signing 7 players- Bridges, Stewart, Grant Smith etc - was really excited when we signed Maynard, but...

Signing David James and Scotty returning was different stuff.

3 minutes ago, Lordofthebling said:

Can't believe it took so long to mention this! 

As a nipper, got quite excited by Tony Thorpe, Andy Cole, the mad summer of signing 7 players- Bridges, Stewart, Grant Smith etc - was really excited when we signed Maynard, but...

Signing David James and Scotty returning was different stuff.

did we sign tony rougier the same time as scot returning?....

1 hour ago, archie andrews said:

did we sign tony rougier the same time as scot returning?....

Yes & he had far more impact than SM did that season.

Scott was never the same player in his second spell. 

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Cannybluff said:

I remember the year we were promoted and Scott Davidson in charge signing Tony Thorpe and loads of others... honestly thought we'd walk the league that year 🤣

Signed when Ward was on holiday. 

Great signing, but after Akinbiyi and Andersen, we really needed a defender.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lordofthebling said:

- was really excited when we signed Maynard, but...

In all fairness, for 12 to 18 months he was pretty great. Especially in 2009-10, but the first started to emerge in November-December 2008.

Without that Summer 2010 injury who knows.

• Like 1

On 20/08/2024 at 06:23, Br 1st ol said:

In light of Twines recent signing, in terms of noise, anticipation and excitement, at the time of the announcement, I nominate the following in order:

1. Super Scotty’s return from reading 

2. Joe Jordan the player 

3. Jacki D

4. Twine

5. Lee Trundle 

(not sure DJ was quite as exciting)

Any others to challenge the above?

Norman Hunter, Joe Royal, Bobby Gould

• Like 1

18 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

Trundle would have made more of an impact if he was played in his favoured position.

For whatever reason he never fulfilled his potential with us. He was worshipped by Swansea fans and it must have been so hard for him to reach those highs wherever he went. 

I could never decide on what his best position was as LJ kept moving him about 

18 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

Edited by pongo88

16 hours ago, gavlin said:

Norman Hunter just what we needed at the time . Great signing.

The other was John Galley was again what was needed as City couldn’t score goals. But what arrived was !!

Galley, John When City signed him, there was a photo of him in the Evening Post when he arrived in Bristol and he was on crutches. People laughed and wondered what on earth City had done now. He soon got fit, however, scored a hat-trick on his debut and never looked back. A big heart and always gave his best. A good, old-fashioned centre forward.

Told this before. I was doing work at the Gate the week Galley arrived. First team five aside game on the car park at the back of the stands. Galley, foot in plaster, running the line with a shirt as a flag. A sight to behold. 3 goals on his debut a few days later.

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

Bit harsh to blame LJ for whatever position Trundle ever played for us.

17 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Or it says a lot about the ability of fans to judge a transfer!

We didn't have the numbers back then, mate. No stats, no graphs, no heat maps, no nothing. We signed Ralph Milne as a third tier club from a second tier club knowing he was bloody good somewhere in Scotland at some point, but not - crucially - that he was a lonely, sad figure estranged from his nearest and dearest, drink his greatest comfort.

We can never really judge a signing until we've seen him here a few times because we never get to see the whites of his eyes, feel the firmness of his handshake, get to meet him in person and see what sort of fella he might be. Nor do we know or have contacts within the game that might be able to let us know.

The numbers and the stats only tell you so much; what's his domestic situation like? What's his missus up to? We can never know that. What's he like in the dressing room? How does he fill his spare time?

That's why Ashton and LJ failed massively with Tomlin, because they could, or should, have "done their diligence," they would've known some of what he was like, whereas we can never have this information to hand, save for titbits of ITK from some bloke who knows another bloke.

Our ability to judge a transfer - to have foresight - is limited. We are only really able to judge in hindsight. Those employed by the club are paid well for their foresight and judgement, and we get to judge them on this. Rightly so.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

We didn't have the numbers back then, mate. No stats, no graphs, no heat maps, no nothing. We signed Ralph Milne as a third tier club from a second tier club knowing he was bloody good somewhere in Scotland at some point, but not - crucially - that he was a lonely, sad figure estranged from his nearest and dearest, drink his greatest comfort.

We can never really judge a signing until we've seen him here a few times because we never get to see the whites of his eyes, feel the firmness of his handshake, get to meet him in person and see what sort of fella he might be. Nor do we know or have contacts within the game that might be able to let us know.

The numbers and the stats only tell you so much; what's his domestic situation like? What's his missus up to? We can never know that. What's he like in the dressing room? How does he fill his spare time?

That's why Ashton and LJ failed massively with Tomlin, because they could, or should, have "done their diligence," they would've known some of what he was like, whereas we can never have this information to hand, save for titbits of ITK from some bloke who knows another bloke.

Our ability to judge a transfer - to have foresight - is limited. We are only really able to judge in hindsight. Those employed by the club are paid well for their foresight and judgement, and we get to judge them on this. Rightly so.

LJ thought he was the man-manager to tame him!!! 😳😳😳

21 hours ago, sm2webb said:

Ade Akinbiyi, Soren Anderson and Tony Thorpe was quite an exciting window back in the day. Shame how the season then turned out!

Still remember Andersons zero backlift goal Vs Sunderland.  Insane goal souch power so little movement of the leg and foot.

It is NO contest?......................500k from Arsenal..............Andy Cole Andy Cole Andy Cole Andy Cole........need I go on?   Then the stupid pheckers failed to include a sell on percentage?

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, maxjak said:

It is NO contest?......................500k from Arsenal..............Andy Cole Andy Cole Andy Cole Andy Cole........need I go on?   Then the stupid pheckers failed to include a sell on percentage?

Even though Arsenal did when we signed him iirc.

On 20/08/2024 at 16:36, Ziderarmy said:

When he sign George Earthy, after being promotion via the play offs will be the biggest one EVER! 

What’s that song again, the one by Supertramp?

Dreamer, you know you are a dreamer…

For me personally I was very excited about Tomlin after he was so good in his loan spell. Signing Marcus Stewart was exciting too. What a let down they both proved to be. 

Liam Robinson was another. I thought we’d signed a player who’d get loads of goals for us. Again, a disappointment. He was a decent enough hard-working player but scored very few.

JET was an exciting signing after he’d destroyed us when playing for Doncaster. Also Dave Smith who was brilliant when he played against us for Gillingham at AG not long before we signed him.

The only other one that springs to mind for me was Jacki, back in the days when it was very rare to have an international player playing for Bristol City. I know he divides opinion but I loved him. 

On 21/08/2024 at 14:55, Davefevs said:

LJ thought he was the man-manager to tame him!!! 😳😳😳

That's what I thought: they did know, and they thought they could handle him. Hubris. In LJ's defence, Warnock then, surprisingly, took him off our hands (but didn't indulge him as much, and isolated him much sooner, and Tomlin did not derail their promotion)

• Like 1