IGNORED

England U21s at Ashton Gate

Well I didn't really enjoy the "experience" Azerbaijan are quite possibly the worst team I've seen on the grass at Ashton gate (and I've seen some charity matches!), our guys looked good but couldn't really judge them against that outfit

It was a crap crowd, doubt we will get "awarded" another one

7 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

Quite a refreshing game - differing from the usual experience at the Gate. Predictably the queues at the turnstiles was even longer than normal, as the use of mobile phones has caused longer delays. But after that, the crowd were certainly more mixed in that there were more women and children, more a family outing. Hopefully some will aquire the taste for matchdays.

The football was massively different compared to the resident side. Yes, the visitors were not the best quality but the England Lion cubs looked a world apart at times. The close control, the fancy feet, speed and the sheer determination to drive through Azerbaijan was something of a culture shock. If this is a sign of the future for our national side then I am excited. Inevitably the tempo dropped later as the game was put out of reach and some stray passes appeared, but overall it was a very impressive display. For the price of a tenner I am glad to have attended, and hope we get more such games in the future.

Did seem value for money watching from home, Completely agree just a shame it wasn't a more challenging opposition but overall some great football.

26 minutes ago, Street red said:

So if they hire it doesn't that mean they still use what's in place at the ground or do they literally bring there own kit.

You need to break it down into various elements...

The stadium doesn't have permanently fitted outside broadcast cameras and sound equipment (this would always be rigged by the broadcaster/their OB provider) so the issues with the the YouTube stream will be a problem for the FA and their broadcast partners - Gravity Media (previously Input Media) I would suspect but not 100% sure.

The public address system was almost certainly the same kit going through the very same systems - even stuff like the big screen was somewhat covered with a lick of England/FA "paint" but there were still elements that showed it was based on the City templates.

Edited by View from the Dolman
Double post
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, frenchred said:

Well I didn't really enjoy the "experience" Azerbaijan are quite possibly the worst team I've seen on the grass at Ashton gate (and I've seen some charity matches!), our guys looked good but couldn't really judge them against that outfit

A shade under 15k and the Atyeo wasn't open so we can knock off 4.2k for a start.

It looked a bit more than 15k I thought based on highlights although perhaps I'm overestimating the numbers in the Lansdown.

We compare reasonably favourably..looked through the last couple of years worth, Goodison got 7-8k for an U21 International, Nottingham Forest got 14-15k..above everyone else, a few didn't even publish.

• Admin
3 hours ago, Street red said:

So if they hire it doesn't that mean they still use what's in place at the ground or do they literally bring there own kit.

I had one interesting comment this morning from my boss that went to the England u21 game and the first thing he said was about the PA system and how bad it was not how the ground has moved on,Not a city supporter and first time attending since the rebuild. The club must be fully aware that this is still a big issue especially if you get customers/fans of these games saying the same things.

It is really stripped back to the basics, one odd thing is that internationals played at Wembley are the same

I went to the Brazil friendly a few months ago and did the stadium tour the next morning. There was paper work still taped to corridors with crazy details about what time certain people were allowed into the stadium and what areas they could access, this included press, the REFEREE, AND the two teams, was really odd to see 

One thing it did explain is why it is 99% of the time the same announcer for England games - they literally take the whole background team in

3 hours ago, frenchred said:

Certainly wasn't a crap ground, and our venue is always looked upon favourably, hence the reason we had the big women's last matches at the stadium in the past

The problem now is that there are so many grounds trying for these games and the FA are trying to take their "roadshow" to as many places as possible

3 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

You need to break it down into various elements...

The stadium doesn't have permanently fitted outside broadcast cameras and sound equipment (this would always be rigged by the broadcaster/their OB provider) so the issues with the the YouTube stream will be a problem for the FA and their broadcast partners - Gravity Media (previously Input Media) I would suspect but not 100% sure.

The public address system was almost certainly the same kit going through the very same systems - even stuff like the big screen was somewhat covered with a lick of England/FA "paint" but there were still elements that showed it was based on the City templates.

Correct, it was their kit basically plugged into our systems.

Anyone that gigs etc will know that if you are using a locations kit the quality you get depends on each location

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A shade under 15k and the Atyeo wasn't open so we can knock off 4.2k for a start.

It looked a bit more than 15k I thought based on highlights although perhaps I'm overestimating the numbers in the Lansdown.

We compare reasonably favourably..looked through the last couple of years worth, Goodison got 7-8k for an U21 International, Nottingham Forest got 14-15k..above everyone else, a few didn't even publish.

The TV mentioned "just under 15k" the way it was mentioned was as if it had been displayed on the screens at the ground and he was reading it aloud.

Obviously it is a pain in the arse to open a "stand alone" stand but it would have looked so much better to have had people in the Atyeo Stand rather than the Upper Lansdown 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, frenchred said:

Azerbaijan U21s aren't likely to be going to draw a crowd anywhere ever, are they? Not even in Azerbaijan.

So the fa won't be shocked at the crowd, and we'll get a chance to host another game some time in the future.

Given that I can only remember attending about 4 U21 games at Ashton Gate in my 45+ years of attendance, I'm not expecting another one this decade. Hopefully another 1 or 2 in my lifetime though🙏.

12 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Azerbaijan U21s aren't likely to be going to draw a crowd anywhere ever, are they? Not even in Azerbaijan.

So the fa won't be shocked at the crowd, and we'll get a chance to host another game some time in the future.

Given that I can only remember attending about 4 U21 games at Ashton Gate in my 45+ years of attendance, I'm not expecting another one this decade. Hopefully another 1 or 2 in my lifetime though🙏.

With Poland in 2019 I think they had a reasonable away turnout, big Polish community in the UK- probably a lot more than Azerbaijanis.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

With Poland in 2019 I think they had a reasonable away turnout, big Polish community in the UK- probably a lot more than Azerbaijanis.

I was there pops, the Atyeo was full of Polish Ultras - lots of firecrackers and smoke bombs if I recall correctly.

Great atmosphere.

PS Only time I've been in the Upper Lansdown. Too steep for me. Literally and figuratively. I think I'll stick to the Dolman.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Phantom said:

It is really stripped back to the basics, one odd thing is that internationals played at Wembley are the same

I went to the Brazil friendly a few months ago and did the stadium tour the next morning. There was paper work still taped to corridors with crazy details about what time certain people were allowed into the stadium and what areas they could access, this included press, the REFEREE, AND the two teams, was really odd to see 

One thing it did explain is why it is 99% of the time the same announcer for England games - they literally take the whole background team in

Certainly wasn't a crap ground, and our venue is always looked upon favourably, hence the reason we had the big women's last matches at the stadium in the past

The problem now is that there are so many grounds trying for these games and the FA are trying to take their "roadshow" to as many places as possible

Correct, it was their kit basically plugged into our systems.

Anyone that gigs etc will know that if you are using a locations kit the quality you get depends on each location

The TV mentioned "just under 15k" the way it was mentioned was as if it had been displayed on the screens at the ground and he was reading it aloud.

Obviously it is a pain in the arse to open a "stand alone" stand but it would have looked so much better to have had people in the Atyeo Stand rather than the Upper Lansdown 

You say the fa are trying to get around the country , then why haven’t they taken one of these u21 games to the memorial stadium 👀

3 minutes ago, redkev said:

You say the fa are trying to get around the country , then why haven’t they taken one of these u21 games to the memorial stadium 👀

they did but it got called off,nobody told them they needed a sack of 50ps for the electric meters and just assumed looking around that there was no electric

11 hours ago, frenchred said:

Got any recent u21 games with attendances more than ours last night? Because I haven't seen any

• Like 2