IGNORED

Pump House Pub

After the game on Saturday, in order to sit at an outside table at the pub we were told we could not enter if we were wearing football related clothing.

I thought the lady was talking to me as the top of my city shirt was visible under the collar of my shirt. Unbelievable she was referring to a mate wearing a stone island jacket and he was asked to remove the stone island label from the jacket.

Personally I was not even aware that certain items of clothing can be attributed to the football fraternity.

Where does this policy overstep the mark? What happens if someone has the wrong hair cut or wrong skin colour.

Would like to hear people's views

57 minutes ago, riddlesdown red said:

After the game on Saturday, in order to sit at an outside table at the pub we were told we could not enter if we were wearing football related clothing.

I thought the lady was talking to me as the top of my city shirt was visible under the collar of my shirt. Unbelievable she was referring to a mate wearing a stone island jacket and he was asked to remove the stone island label from the jacket.

Personally I was not even aware that certain items of clothing can be attributed to the football fraternity.

Where does this policy overstep the mark? What happens if someone has the wrong hair cut or wrong skin colour.

12 minutes ago, frenchred said:

I wouldn't go in there ever again on principal if that was the case

Pompous ******* don't deserve the trade! And they wonder why hospitality is in its knees in some establishments!

Would have been police orders with Millwall in town.

The owner of the Pump House is a City season ticket holder, so he's hardly going to want to be turning away custom from City fans on a match day. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, riddlesdown red said:

You can't argue that Stone Island wear would be attributed to Football or potentially troublesome element - but to tell people to remove it to come into a pub seems like discrimination that wouldn't be acceptable in many other guises.

I suppose it depends whether you refused/kicked up a fuss/left ' or complied & allowed them to have such policies & still take your money.?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The owner of the Pump House is a City season ticket holder, so he's hardly going to want to be turning away custom from City fans on a match day. 

Admittedly, I've been out of the pub trade for almost 15 years now, so things may have changed - but the police only ever used to insist on venues being Home fans only/no drinking outside/plastic gasses only etc....

I've never heard of a police order saying that people couldn't be allowed into a pub because of the brand of clothing that they were wearing (team shirts aside)

Just now, Davefevs said:

As a non fashionista, if a Stone Island badge is removable, can I put it on my Asda jumper?

Yes. Just pin it to your right sleeve & nobody will have a clue it's not a genuine article 😉👍

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

As a non fashionista, if a Stone Island badge is removable, can I put it on my Asda jumper?

I have a badge for sell if you are interested, comes with buttons 😊 don't forget it's the left sleeve 😂

41 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

True story.

Many years ago, I did a Far East tour encompassing, inter alia, Singapore (fantastic airline) Hong Kong and Thailand.

During my stay in Bangkok, my personal guide persuaded me to have a couple of suits made to measure.

She assured me that all would be well and, sure enough, after choosing the cloth, there was a first fitting and we were told to have lunch and return for a second fitting in the afternoon.

All went smoothly, and I was told to expect delivery to my hotel that same evening.

Sure enough, the man turned up with my two suits, I tried them on, they fitted well and I prepared to pay the agreed price.

But, there was a slight problem.

No dispute about the price, but I hadn’t yet chosen the label????

The tailor opened his briefcase and asked whether I would prefer Armani, Cartier, Balmain….

Edited by PHILINFRANCE
  • Like 4
  • Haha 12
  • Flames 3

46 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Yes. Just pin it to your right sleeve & nobody will have a clue it's not a genuine article 😉👍

⬇️⬇️⬇️

35 minutes ago, weepywall said:

I have a badge for sell if you are interested, comes with buttons 😊 don't forget it's the left sleeve 😂

Sounds like I’ll need two, one for each sleeve! 😀

Also, am I right in thinking you end up walking sideways as a result?

• Haha 2

Stone Island ihas been associated with football hooligans for years rightly or wrongly. That said, not everybody who wears it means they are a football hooligan. Most of it is fake but if you can afford the genuine stuff then you are more than likely to have a bit of dosh. Pep Guardiola wears it prancing around the touchline ffs.

I bet the Pumphouse wouldnt refuse to serve him. They moan when people dont use their local pubs and then come up with this bullshit.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Only popped in their seldomly and never felt a welcoming place 

Why would anyone use it when you have the Merchants or the Nova Scotia nearby?

Edited by pillred
  • Like 11
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

5 hours ago, pillred said:

The last time I went there was the Manchester United game, my wife was picking me up and went there because it has a reasonably sized car park.

Dull anecdote I know, but you did ask for a reason. :)

• Haha 5

11 hours ago, riddlesdown red said:

Way Bristol is going at the moment , very left and very soft. Making people feel not good enough or lower in class. Went here while ago and couldn’t order at bar had to sit at table and have order taken and took ages, still act like we are in covid.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, richyy66 said:

Stone Island ihas been associated with football hooligans for years rightly or wrongly. That said, not everybody who wears it means they are a football hooligan. Most of it is fake but if you can afford the genuine stuff then you are more than likely to have a bit of dosh. 

Decades ago in the days of ‘bovver boys” aka skinheads there was a style that included Ben Sherman short sleeved shirts, Levi jeans, bracers and Doc Martin boots.

Anyone dressed in gear like that was associated with football hooliganism. 

These days Stone Island has taken that ‘hooliganism’ mantle. That said these days the amount of fighting amongst rival fans is much rarer than it used to be.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Decades ago in the days of ‘bovver boys” aka skinheads there was a style that included Ben Sherman short sleeved shirts, Levi jeans, bracers and Doc Martin boots.

These days Stone Island has taken that ‘hooliganism’ mantle. That said these days the amount of fighting amongst rival fans is much rarer than it used to be.

On the softer side, there was Fred Perry Polos, Harrington jackets, suits from Jacksons and Brut after shave.

Oh, and the Lamretta LI for transport.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Bcfccity said:

Way Bristol is going at the moment , very left and very soft. Making people feel not good enough or lower in class. Went here while ago and couldn’t order at bar had to sit at table and have order taken and took ages, still act like we are in covid.

Same here.

Decided to go to a proper pub.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Absolute rubbish! Do you think they have a list of fashion labels that can't be worn in pubs? Is it only the crappy pump house? Does it extend to town

City fan or not, he's got this wrong and if word gets round I'd imagine his match day takings will go down, and good!

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Old School B block said:

Just Wear CP company instead. They won’t have a clue then. 

As long as they don’t have the hood up with goggles on 🤣

Pump house is adequate if the suns out, for a harbourside pint with the other half, but the ordering at table stuff is weird for a pub. 
Novia scotia or merchants far better pubs anyway. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Interesting that’s he a City fan as when I was in there before the West Ham replay earlier this year I was told to remove my city shirt before I would be served. 

I wonder if they asked the West Ham fans walking around in their shirts to remove them before being served. 

31 minutes ago, The chief said:

As long as they don’t have the hood up with goggles on 🤣

Pump house is adequate if the suns out, for a harbourside pint with the other half, but the ordering at table stuff is weird for a pub. 
Novia scotia or merchants far better pubs anyway. 

It was/is the same in the Albion in Clifton Village. I walked up to the bar and the barmaid told me to take a seat! saying ‘someone’ will come over and take your order.

Quite unbelievable. Over the decades I must have been to hundreds of pubs all over the country and never ever had come across that before.

We sat down literally 8 feet from the bar………:cool2:. We could have verbally ordered our drinks but another order woman came over and then relayed our to the barmaid……….odd, very odd indeed.

After about 10 mins the same older woman came over and asked if we wanted more drinks! 

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

On the softer side, there was Fred Perry Polos, Harrington jackets, suits from Jacksons and Brut after shave.

Lamretta? Did you get in a dodgy Spanish market along with your Rodex watch? 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Think they're a chain, Kid. There's one in Swansea. 

The guy you know may be the licensee, but the fashion police orders probably comes from head office. 

9 hours ago, pillred said:

Agreed, I was in both last night, 2 great pubs.

Something going on at the Nova though. I heard the long standing landlord has left, the kitchen has been closed for some time, and really incongruous bright white fire doors have replaced the characterful old door leading down the corridor to the gents.

Oh, and the bottle of City Promotion Ale that has been on show behind the bar since 1976 was nowhere to be seen. :angry:

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Bcfccity said:

Went here while ago and couldn’t order at bar had to sit at table and have order taken and took ages, still act like we are in covid.

Same here. I used to like the Pump House but last time we went there I was confronted by an officious woman on the way in who told me we should sit at a table outside and they'd come and take our order. Not even allowed to go into the pub and go to the bar to choose my pint.

She didn't have an answer when I asked her, 'Is this a pub or not?'

We left with no intention of going back.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Am I the only one who wouldn't recognise a Stone Island item of clothing?

You wouldn’t need to, the person wearing it would make sure you noticed by thrusting their arm into your eyeline. 😉😉😉

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

True story.

Many years ago, I did a Far East tour encompassing, inter alia, Singapore (fantastic airline) Hong Kong and Thailand.

During my stay in Bangkok, my personal guide persuaded me to have a couple of suits made to measure.

She assured me that all would be well and, sure enough, after choosing the cloth, there was a first fitting and we were told to have lunch and return for a second fitting in the afternoon.

All went smoothly, and I was told to expect delivery to my hotel that same evening.

Sure enough, the man turned up with my two suits, I tried them on, they fitted well and I prepared to pay the agreed price.

But, there was a slight problem.

No dispute about the price, but I hadn’t yet chosen the label????

The tailor opened his briefcase and asked whether I would prefer Armani, Cartier, Balmain….

Have you managed to get away with that story, since an Asian man was seen leaving your hotel room with a handful of cash..?! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

My mate was asked to remove his baseball cap in the rising sun. Not the only one. Is that still a thing by the security staff at that pub.

That's quite common because it hides identity from CCTV cameras.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

It was/is the same in the Albion in Clifton Village. I walked up to the bar and the barmaid told me to take a seat! saying ‘someone’ will come over and take your order.

Quite unbelievable. Over the decades I must have been to hundreds of pubs all over the country and never ever had come across that before.

We sat down literally 8 feet from the bar………:cool2:. We could have verbally ordered our drinks but another order woman came over and then relayed our to the barmaid……….odd, very odd indeed.

After about 10 mins the same older woman came over and asked if we wanted more drinks! 

That's normal in Europe and the majority of the world.

Definitely better than having to queue at the bar. 

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

As a skinhead who wears Fred Perry and doc Martins I am grateful for this! Although I suspect these days that attire may well be more aligned with the gay community if anything else. Funny how these things change. 

Just now, PHILINFRANCE said:

In my defence, I only realised it was a man when I put my hand up her skirt.

Too late by then.... just carry on & then make up a story about him being there to sell you a suit..! 👍

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

I know that spudski………..but it’s not something we Brits have adopted. Queuing at the bar obviously depends on how busy the pub is.

I’ve done plenty of bar work in the past especially as a student when times were financially tough. The amount of fiddling that went on really opened my eyes.

14 hours ago, riddlesdown red said:

Unbelievable she was referring to a mate wearing a stone island jacket and he was asked to remove the stone island label from the jacket.

There was a BBC documentary back in the very early 2000s called ‘Hooligans’ (we featured in an episode about Cardiff City with footage from inside and outside the Gate and Ninian at Severnside derbies).

It was mentioned that back in the 80s football shirts were often banned from pubs for fear of trouble however the pubs themselves realised that the people wearing club shirts weren’t the ones causing mayhem and started banning fans wearing Stone Island, Aquascutum etc.

So this has been going on for 25 years.

Its available in parts on YouTube, well worth a watch. I expect quite a few on here remember to two games shown in the video.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Or for the real smart look you might have your Crombie coat Levi Stay press and Tongue & Tassel shoes on.😁

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The queueing thing..another level here.

Someone I know actually when we periodically go to Wetherspoons orders via an App from a table..that's a new one on me.

I still do if the old fashioned way of course.

the app was brought in during COVID. Some places still use it

21 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The queueing thing..another level here.

Someone I know actually when we periodically go to Wetherspoons orders via an App from a table..that's a new one on me.

I still do if the old fashioned way of course.

Are you not aware of the Wetherspoons game?

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I know that spudski………..but it’s not something we Brits have adopted. Queuing at the bar obviously depends on how busy the pub is.

I’ve done plenty of bar work in the past especially as a student when times were financially tough. The amount of fiddling that went on really opened my eyes.

I wish we did adopt it. 

Bars actually make more money as well, because they come to you, and you feel almost pressured to have another.

Having mobile card machines also helps massively 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

The last time I went there was the Manchester United game, my wife was picking me up and went there because it has a reasonably sized car park.

Dull anecdote I know, but you did ask for a reason. :)

The last time I went there I had just started dating a woman and as we went in a lad I knew was leaving.  I introduced them to each other.  The relationship ended soon after. I haven't seen the lad since.  I don't think these two things are related.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, spudski said:

I wish we did adopt it. 

Bars actually make more money as well, because they come to you, and you feel almost pressured to have another.

Having mobile card machines also helps massively 

We Brits just aren’t used to it - not all changes are positive changes,

The ‘problem’ over here would be two fold 1) people buggering off without settling their tab. 2) drinking more than you have money for - ‘card declined’ would become a regular occurrence.

23 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

The last time I went there I had just started dating a woman and as we went in a lad I knew was leaving.  I introduced them to each other.  The relationship ended soon after. I haven't seen the lad since.  I don't think these two things are related.   

Fair play, that's pretty dull as well. :) I wonder if everyone has a dull anecdote about the Pump House?

• Thanks 1

The first "City List" meetups happened at the Pumphouse for a couple of seasons. It was an OK pub back then but started trying to go upmarket and become more gastropubby so we moved over to the Nova Scotia which is where the meetups really took off

2 hours ago, spudski said:

It’s certainly not better when you end up spending 10 minutes trying to get the attention of waiting staff in a busy bar whilst you sit with an empty drink, followed by all the faff of trying to pay your tab at the end, which over here would almost certainly come with a 12.5% “discretionary” service charge.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1