IGNORED

Marcus McGuane - Signed from Oxford Official

Rocky

Really? Wasn't aware he was *that* good. Happy to be proven wrong though. Also does this mean there'll be a departure, a big injury we don't know about, or are we running a big squad this season?

Really?  Wasn't aware he was *that* good. Happy to be proven wrong though. Also does this mean there'll be a departure, a big injury we don't know about, or are we running a big squad this season?

Just now, cidercity1987 said:

As a massive critic of the Lansdown's and Tinnion after the Pearson debacle, I am slowly trying to recover some respect for them with some good recent signings. If we are going back down the Johnson route of throwing literally everything at an unproven manager whilst giving Pearson practically nothing then sadly that is not going to help my negative opinions.

Absolutely nonsensical rumour unless at least TGH is going somewhere but then again is McGuane even currently getting in the Oxford side?

He was dropped by Oxford in April as didn’t suit their style of play. 

• Thanks 2

• The title was changed to Marcus McGuane [Merged]

He's a good player btw. Whether we need another player in his position is very debatable. Yet if Bird or Knight are injured for a large part of the season. It's a massive drop to Williams or TGH. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

This. We have Naismith and McCrorie who can play CM too. Makes no sense. We need a winger as priority and another CB secondary. 

I feel like our squad numbers are at the maximum limit where any more players is just a waste of budget. A winger if at least two of Sykes/Mehmeti/Bell/Cornick are being binned off and a CB only if Naismith goes, but we aren't going to get a better back up than Naismith surely. You don't change Vyner/Dickie pairing after last season.

• Like 1

Just now, petehinton said:

Not at all, surprised/a bit bemused!

Certainly a change from the last few years isn’t it. 

I guess FFP played a part in that pre-Scott sale?

It's a relief that we're investing though innit!

• Like 2

Defo looks like a different pedigree to what we have already, one what manning has previously worked with and can work with again to get the best out of him, came through the ranks of arsenal & Barca B so must have something locked away. 

Trust the process, Trust the manager - pretty much every signing manning has made bar Mebude has hit the ground and impressed. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hocca said:

Has to be a loan for TGH then. Not surprising he’s been poor lately.

Mad cause between his wonder goal vs Boro and the West Ham replay last season he was probably the fans' favourite

• Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

We only activated the clause to buy him in January didn't we? Seems a bit of a waste

Was it a requirement to buy or option?

If requirement, triggering it in January and having Weimann go the other direction reduces the cost to us.

5 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

IMG_8049.jpeg

Not sure this guy ever gets anything right. 

Could be TGH needs a return to midlands for family reasons. Odd that we made it a perm deal though if it’s the case he’s off. 

He knows that he will not get any minutes here! 

If he's an upgrade on TGH, and TGH is indeed going, fair enough. Have to be ruthless. 

If TGH is staying, even I think we're getting overloaded. And I've been calling for more depth for years. But that midfield will start to feel too heavy.

Strange one. Not a player I know anything about but there is absolutely no doubt they are backing their man. Not a bad thing as more chance of us being successful but where the hell was this level of backing under the previous PROVEN manager? 

• Like 6
  • Flames 3

6 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

I was never overly sure Manning actually wanted him in the first place. 

Yeah, that’s the impression I got too. 

Suspect TGH has also looked at what’s in front of him and thought he isn’t getting too many starts this season unless we have an injury crisis and just wants to play. 

Edited by Kibs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HengroveReds said:

Another one! @Davefevs over to you - any good? 

@Harry and I picked up on him last season.  He was their standout in the preseason friendly at the HPC too.  Was kind of a bit of a shock to find this player I’d not really heard of and then see he’d been at Arsenal and Barcelona B.  Obviously good pedigree.  Clearly will fit what Manning wants.

29 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

We only activated the clause to buy him in January didn't we? Seems a bit of a waste

Seems that we reduced the buy-price by Weimann’s wages, so region of £1.0m rather than £1.3m.

6 minutes ago, Kibs said:

Yeah, that’s the impression I got too. 

Suspect TGH has also looked at what’s in front of him and thought he isn’t getting too many starts this season unless we have an injury crisis and just wants to play. 

There’s definitely a player there but so many options ahead of him. Thought he was awful in the cup against Cov. 

• Hmmm 1

So this looks like a squad player moving out and a squad player moving in?

Is McGuane really going to be pushing for a starting place? I can’t see it.

if we are making a net profit from the deals then it makes some sense from that perspective.

As the closing of the window gets closer the amount of conjecture and rumour dramatically increases. It’ll be just the same on every other clubs forums.

Fans just seem to love speculating on what’s happening at their club.

In reality none of us know anything.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@Harry and I picked up on him last season.  He was their standout in the preseason friendly at the HPC too.  Was kind of a bit of a shock to find this player I’d not really heard of and then see he’d been at Arsenal and Barcelona B.  Obviously good pedigree.  Clearly will fit what Manning wants.

Seems that we reduced the buy-price by Weimann’s wages, so region of £1.0m rather than £1.3m.

That heat map is less box to box and more A centre circle to centre circle.  Perhaps after Saturday Manning feels he needs a solid anchor.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, James54De said:

I guess he offers something a little different to TGH, and indeed Knight, Bird and Williams. 

He’s more of a driver with the ball, a more powerful runner. 

I would have been more comfortable with James coming back. We already seem looser this season defensively and that won't get better playing a midfield perm two of Knight, Bird, Mcguane as is the general OTIB wish.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, Port Said Red said:

That heat map is less box to box and more A centre circle to centre circle.  Perhaps after Saturday Manning feels he needs a solid anchor.

I think he just wants someone more suitable than TGH to be an option.  Which makes you wonder why LM signed him?

I don’t mind TGH tbh, I know lots on here don’t.

But I assume you are referring to Williams, who you don’t rate / like?

Just now, cidercity1987 said:

I would have been more comfortable with James coming back. We already seem looser this season defensively and that won't get better playing a midfield perm two of Knight, Bird, Mcguane as is the general OTIB wish.

Problem with James is he's looking for a 2 year deal and is 33 now. Think we had some of his best years

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

In fairness I don’t think James was a great screen for the CBs per se, but he did other stuff.

• Like 1

From the Oxford forum:

"Classic 'best for both parties' move. Marcus is a very talented player but one of the least adaptable we've had in years. Those few months where he played for Manning as a deep midfielder picking up the ball, wriggling out of trouble, progressing 10 yards then releasing he wasn't just good he was among the most effective midfielders in L1, certainly the classiest. Conversely his displays culminating in the 0-5 at Bolton when asked to do a *slightly* more complicated job under Des were so bad I honestly think we'd have been better with 10 men."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think he just wants someone more suitable than TGH to be an option.  Which makes you wonder why LM signed him?

Maybe Brum are just offering a very lucrative package and we know we can go and get McGuane for a similar amount. Suits all concerned...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Maybe Brum are just offering a very lucrative package and we know we can go and get McGuane for a similar amount. Suits all concerned...

More, why did he sign him permanently in January, not why is he letting him go now.  Now makes sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TammyAB said:

Or, does this signing confirm Bird at #10 may be more permanent than first thought.

McGuane (DM) in, Cornick (W) out, Bird now seen as a 10 and Twine seen as a left midfielder.

This is my thinking, confirms that Bird is playing number 10 role. So he wanted another CM option. 

• Hmmm 2
  • Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

More, why did he sign him permanently in January, not why is he letting him go now.  Now makes sense.

I’d surmise that Tinnion had already wrapped it up and Liam had no say. 
I said from day 1 that TGH would not suit Manning so I always thought it was not his doing 

• Like 7