IGNORED

Marcus McGuane - Signed from Oxford Official

Rocky

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Getting a lot of backing here, pressure should be on a bit.

Can be both.

Since the Earthy and Twine signings, my expectations of par this season have gone up.  Not hugely, but enough.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

I’d surmise that Tinnion had already wrapped it up and Liam had no say. 
I said from day 1 that TGH would not suit Manning so I always thought it was not his doing 

The Exiled Robin has tweeted something similar, it was already far down the line and maybe Manning as the new man signed off on it without being overly convinced.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Kibs said:

Yeah, that’s the impression I got too. 

Suspect TGH has also looked at what’s in front of him and thought he isn’t getting too many starts this season unless we have an injury crisis and just wants to play. 

Bit like the guy we got from FGR .

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Getting a lot of backing here, pressure should be on a bit.

Agreed. Not just the level of backing, but the short-termism of some of it (e.g. sending Stokes on loan, bringing in Earthy), and the fact that Manning hasn't really had to lose any key players in order to fund it (arguably Conway, though it seems we wanted a new 9 anyway).

I think expectations should probably be increased accordingly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Agreed. Not just the level of backing, but the short-termism of some of it (e.g. sending Stokes on loan, bringing in Earthy), and the fact that Manning hasn't really had to lose any key players in order to fund it (arguably Conway, though it seems we wanted a new 9 anyway).

Animation Keep Moving GIF by Ben Tuber
here they go . 

12 minutes ago, Harry said:

I’d surmise that Tinnion had already wrapped it up and Liam had no say. 
I said from day 1 that TGH would not suit Manning so I always thought it was not his doing 

Like the MA /LJ days when MA would go out and get players in that LJ didnt want

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 2

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Can be both.

Since the Earthy and Twine signings, my expectations of par this season have gone up.  Not hugely, but enough.

Agreed.

3 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Agreed.

I've realigned mine to 10th and above now..perhaps as high as 8th, finishing lower than 11th would in most circs be an absolute fail.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed.

Agreed.

I've realigned mine to 10th and above now..perhaps as high as 8th, finishing lower than 11th would in most circs be an absolute fail.

As I said on the OSIB spaces on Sunday, you can finish 11th and closer to the playoffs in one season, than finishing 10th.  So context is everything.

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

Oxford like a feeder club, similar to Bournemouth. 
atmosphere at there place will be interesting when we play them, would assume they’d sell the Atyeo out too. 

McGuane a good fit, at Oxford since 2020 so played with the likes of Sykes, Dickie, Atkinson 

5 minutes ago, HengroveReds said:

Oxford like a feeder club, similar to Bournemouth. 
atmosphere at there place will be interesting when we play them, would assume they’d sell the Atyeo out too. 

McGuane a good fit, at Oxford since 2020 so played with the likes of Sykes, Dickie, Atkinson 

We just need to sign McNally too to really take the piss

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm not especially enthused by this one but we shall see.

As cover maybe, perhaps lower wages than TGH but...is he better than what we have is a key metric?

Is he better than TGH in Manning's system? One would assume so.

If he's on lower wages than TGH and we recoup our fee then it seems a low risk transfer.

• Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, KegCity said:

Is he better than TGH in Manning's system? One would assume so.

If he's on lower wages than TGH and we recoup our fee then it seems a low risk transfer.

System and set-up do play a role for player effectiveness yeah.

What would he be, 3rd or 4th choice perhaps?

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

System and set-up do play a role for player effectiveness yeah.

What would he be, 3rd or 4th choice perhaps?

I'd assume he'd be a squad player like TGH but no way of knowing.

LM gets in someone he knows, replacing someone that isn’t his own. Seems more like a trade in some ways between 3 clubs that gives LM another chance to build his squad, good to see him backed 

4 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Why not?

It a valid question that has still not been answered by those responsible.

Because it’s been done to death so many times and has derailed so many threads. “Those responsible” are never going to give an answer. 

4 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Even though we know the answer.

There you go then. So why ask the question - again? 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Nugget said:

LM gets in someone he knows, replacing someone that isn’t his own. Seems more like a trade in some ways between 3 clubs that gives LM another chance to build his squad, good to see him backed 

he is his own, though. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mozo said:

We probably need a 'Still Pissed Off About Nige" master thread for people air their grievances in a safe space without clogging up every other thread.

So what is your post then ?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Why not?

It a valid question that has still not been answered by those responsible.

Even though we know the answer.

It never will, fella.

Which is why we need to "move on".

You know that. I know that. But it'll annoy the heck out of us for a long while yet. 

That's life. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, mozo said:

We probably need a 'Still Pissed Off About Nige" master thread for people air their grievances in a safe space without clogging up every other thread.

Alternative view: Those responsible want people to get bored and shut up and actually context and bigger picture discussions are much more important than focussing solely on the here and now. How we got to this point is relevant.

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

Mods - can you please delete these NP posts, just clogs up thread after thread ?

Mods, can we please delete there posts moaning about people applying context to a thread and not actually contributing anything whatsoever?

• Like 6
  • Flames 2
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think he just wants someone more suitable than TGH to be an option.  Which makes you wonder why LM signed him?

I don’t mind TGH tbh, I know lots on here don’t.

But I assume you are referring to Williams, who you don’t rate / like?

No, I don't mind TGH either, but for some reason he hasn't given LM what he needs. I think we will find that he just hasn't settled in the area and maybe his mind has been elsewhere.

• Like 1

Is McGuane a player who will improve us? Push us on.

Is the aim/goal Top 10 or Top 6.

Forget managers, the overall Club Strategic Plan seems questionable.

I suspect the main driver to this deal is financial gain as much as improving the squad, we'll see.

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well the Oxford forum is not that bothered about him going. 

14 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I suspect the main driver to this deal is financial gain as much as improving the squad, we'll see.

Out of interest, where do you see the financial gain in this deal?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hes probably gonna be better for Manning than TGH is. So he probably does improve us yes.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

57 minutes ago, KegCity said:

I'd assume he'd be a squad player like TGH but no way of knowing.

Apparently sits in front of back four and plays from there and quite a good passer

If LM wanted to push Bird further forward and play him and Twine closer to the striker then I’m all for that as McGuane & Knight would be a good defensive midfield pairing 

Bit out of the blue this one but I can see why Manning would want him at City 

• Like 1

I know little about this guy, hadn’t even heard of him until today! This won’t stop me having an opinion though 😂

Doesn’t strike me as a player anyone with any real promotion ambition would be signing. But also get that Bird and Knight will be the preferred pairing with Williams rotated in when needed. Therefore we need someone for those just in case moments, someone happy with being a bit part player but enough quality to step in when there are injuries, suspensions, seeing out the last 10 mins of a game etc…

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I see the concept of a squad, rotation and options still hasn't quite caught on with a few people.

If McGuane is an upgrade on TGH weighted for age, experience, cost and attributes, that holds.

If not then it seems a bit pointless.

12 minutes ago, MythikRobins said:

Hes probably gonna be better for Manning than TGH is. So he probably does improve us yes.

Will we be comparing like with like or?

By which I mean..

Williams Knight

Bird

Vs

Knight TGH

Wells

That is a fundamentally different profile and dynamic.

If McGuane is an upgrade on TGH weighted for age, experience, cost and attributes, that holds.

If not then it seems a bit pointless.

All that really matters Mr P is the outcome. 

Will this new look squad bring improved results across the season? Let's see.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I don’t think so personally . I think it’s more , one player suits style of play over the other . Can’t see there would be much difference financially 

• Like 3

If it’s technically a swap deal for TGH (who since WHU in the cup has been poor) then it’s understandable. TGH wasn’t a Manning signing, maybe the club got a good deal to bring him in on a perm knowing we could cash in if needed. He doesn’t suit the way we play.  

22 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Apparently sits in front of back four and plays from there and quite a good passer

If LM wanted to push Bird further forward and play him and Twine closer to the striker then I’m all for that as McGuane & Knight would be a good defensive midfield pairing 

Bit out of the blue this one but I can see why Manning would want him at City 

How will it look then.

Knight and one of Williams or McGuane

With Bird in front?

Yu, Earthy, Twine...?

I’ve linked to this article a few times - it’s the views of MK and Oxford fans when LM was appointed. The reason for the link here is that it has the always vfm George Elek giving views on McGuane:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/liam-mannings-lessons-mk-dons-8897745

Key paragraph is below, and I remember saying having read the article (and seen McGuane in the 5-1) that it piqued my interest in signing him - see this thread:

As I said on the TGH thread, no major objection to the outgoing or incoming - just creates a bit of an oddity angle to the initial signing

IMG_3923.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

How will it look then.

Knight and one of Williams or McGuane

With Bird in front?

Yu, Earthy, Twine...?

It’s a squad game, we’ll have options.  That is all that matters.

If some players don’t get the minutes they want, then LM will need to deal with them.

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Mods - can you please delete these NP posts, just clogs up thread after thread ?

It is opinion . Not yours , but it is opinion. What next a thread for all the posts clogging up each thread with myopic head in the sand posts ? The posts will change with time and evolve . Just as with LJ . Just because you do not agree is not a reason to delete posts . That’s life on a forum and we do not need the opinion police facism . 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

if Manning doesn’t like TGH and can get this guy in for a similar price I don’t mind it. 

Just wondering when it becomes one to many signings iykwim. Don’t want anything damaging the culture and atmosphere around the squad. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RollsRoyce said:

It is opinion . Not yours , but it is opinion. What next a thread for all the posts clogging up each thread with myopic head in the sand posts ? The posts will change with time and evolve . Just as with LJ . Just because you do not agree is not a reason to delete posts . That’s life on a forum and we do not need the opinion police facism . 

Exactly.

The wanting to block non offensive views is odd. I get an optimism bias but censorship of that is ridiculous and frankly smacks of Forced Jollity too.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If some players don’t get the minutes they want, then LM will need to deal with them.

I get that, the small bit of query I'd have is if we've promised X to West Ham in terms of Earthy.

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I get that, the small bit of query I'd have is if we've promised X to West Ham in terms of Earthy.

Don't think McGuarne changes this; Earthy is battling with Twine for the "10" & perhaps with Anis/Sykes for a wide forward place. McG seems to be more of an all round midfielder, strong on the ball, but decent passing too. 

I'd be lying if I claimed it all makes sense to me as we could have left centre mid as as was. As long as it doesn't a) impact FFP or b) hit squad morale, any squad improvement is a good thing I guess, but only time will show if this represents squad improvement.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TDarwall said:

Don't think McGuarne changes this; Earthy is battling with Twine for the "10" & perhaps with Anis/Sykes for a wide forward place. McG seems to be more of an all round midfielder, strong on the ball, but decent passing too. 

I'd be lying if I claimed it all makes sense to me as we could have left centre mid as as was. As long as it doesn't a) impact FFP or b) hit squad morale, any squad improvement is a good thing I guess, but only time will show if this represents squad improvement.

Agreed, just struggling to piece it together a bit.

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Could that be what is happening with TGH?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

Could that be what is happening with TGH?

Yep…

….the next question is will that be any different for McGuane?

+++++

I have no idea, because I don’t know what, if any, playing expectations the players have.

• Like 1