IGNORED

Marcus McGuane - Signed from Oxford Official

Rocky

31 minutes ago, Severn Beach Pigeon said:

You aren't being censored.

It's just frustrating for every thread to turn into the same questions over and over when we all know the ******* answers.

You were complaining about NP not getting worshipped in a video that praised him a couple of days ago. 

I didn't want him to go, but part of being an adult is having the ability to move on once you have the answers.

You don't have to like the answers, but these questions that have been getting asked have already been done to death countless times in the last 10 months.

Can we not have this same discussion of the same answered questions on every single transfer thread?

Pick one and hash it out there, or have a thread for it to save everyone else having to read the same shite over and over.

Yes he needs to move on, God knows I have tried, it seems like we take one step forward etc, Nige was brilliant but I think it was getting too much for him health wise, he was just what we needed at that time, now a younger coach with some new toys is mildly exciting, no?

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Why not wait and see where he fits him in and performs before putting a negative slant on a player we are yet to see in a city shirt.

Maybe support the club and players in the shirt as opposed to question every decision made?

I absolutely support the players and indeed think the First Team Management is quite promising.

The rest..Some of the Recruitment looks good, beyond that well we'll know more in 10-15 games.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I absolutely support the players and indeed think the First Team Management is quite promising.

The rest..Some of the Recruitment looks good, beyond that well we'll know more in 10-15 games.

I know you do ....and your depth of knowledge for the games finances is incredible, if you are not already in some aspect of football management then you should be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, lenred said:

Don’t wish to get caught up in yet another argument about NP leaving and Manning coming in, but this is what we were told - that we had the players in the building and that LM was going to use his time on the grass improve player development with that squad - a squad deemed by JL as being ‘one of the  best since he’s been involved and good enough to compete at the top end’.  So points about why that seems to have now changed are valid and do not need to be shouted down.  

The players in the building are not good enough to push on without some form of financial help. I think that’s obvious, we all knew that last season. I was pro NP at the time, and how it was dealt with, it still bugs me today. But we’ve seriously got to move on and stop digging up what the club said months ago. 

Football is not a forgiving business. Goals/targets can change, depending if certain players are available. A case of striking while the iron is hot comes to mind.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, lenred said:

a squad deemed by JL as being ‘one of the  best since he’s been involved and good enough to compete at the top end’.

HL also believes that all of the kits he’s designed for us are great. He’s really not a sound judge.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

11 hours ago, Severn Beach Pigeon said:

That's not what happened though is it?

They asked for a specific thread for you to bring up how much you love NP as much as you want.

That does makes sense, rather than turning the new home kit thread into Manning v pearson

• Facepalm 1

10 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

HL also believes that all of the kits he’s designed for us are great. He’s really not a sound judge.

It staggers me the number of people who play the "Jon told us blah blah blah" card. What does Jon know about football compared to either Nigel Pearson or Liam Manning? **** all, that's what. The TD, on the other hand, does know far better than some of the crap he came out with at the time but he was just fulfilling a club agenda. "Jon said we had a great squad" - what sort of a nonsensical argument is that? Jon was just plain wrong, we didn't, anyone with eyesight and even a modicum of the most basic football nous knew it. Why do you people think Nige was getting pissed off when the investment never came after Scott went? Because he thought he had a great squad and he wanted to bloat it or because he KNEW he needed to reinforce his squad? What do YOU think? Forget Jon for a second.

If Jon told some of you that the earth was flat you would literally hang on his words by the looks of it. Jon was talking crap guys.............what he said about Liam being able to turn the players we had into a fine wine was bollocks and it was literally proven beyond all reasonable doubt over a three month period where we picked up THIRTEEN POXY POINTS and were playing the shittest football imaginable at times. A combination of players not up to what Liam was looking for and Liam persisting with it for far too long (albeit he might justifiably argue that persisting with it for that length of time gave him the solid ammunition to go to the Board and say "case proven, they can only play one way, I need new players" - pain for gain).

Even now, we still have a number of players in our squad who suit a counter attacking style of play far better than a possession and front foot style - unfortunately for them they are now starting to stick out like a shining beacon.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 4

13 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

It staggers me the number of people who play the "Jon told us blah blah blah" card. What does Jon know about football compared to either Nigel Pearson or Liam Manning? **** all, that's what. The TD, on the other hand, does know far better than some of the crap he came out with at the time but he was just fulfilling a club agenda. "Jon said we had a great squad" - what sort of a nonsensical argument is that? Jon was just plain wrong, we didn't, anyone with eyesight and even a modicum of the most basic football nous knew it. Why do you people think Nige was getting pissed off when the investment never came after Scott went? Because he thought he had a great squad and he wanted to bloat it or because he KNEW he needed to reinforce his squad? What do YOU think? Forget Jon for a second.

If Jon told some of you that the earth was flat you would literally hang on his words by the looks of it. Jon was talking crap guys.............what he said about Liam being able to turn the players we had into a fine wine was bollocks and it was literally proven beyond all reasonable doubt over a three month period where we picked up THIRTEEN POXY POINTS and were playing the shittest football imaginable at times. A combination of players not up to what Liam was looking for and Liam persisting with it for far too long (albeit he might justifiably argue that persisting with it for that length of time gave him the solid ammunition to go to the Board and say "case proven, they can only play one way, I need new players" - pain for gain).

Even now, we still have a number of players in our squad who suit a counter attacking style of play far better than a possession and front foot style - unfortunately for them they are now starting to stick out like a shining beacon.

it's not about believing him, necessarily. It's about holding him accountable to his own words. He is the chairman of the football club after all. 

If he wants to profess that we should be going up, challenging for the playoffs then it is only right that he is held to that standard. His dads club, his choices. 

It's a shame that the ire ended up being directed at LM. It should have been aimed at Crayola Boy. 

As someone alluded to recently, keeping Tinnion (and Lansdown) quiet is Sheridan Robins biggest challenge. They can't stop themselves from saying stupid things. 

• Like 6
  • Flames 4

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

I was just about to say something similar but you’ve said it for me.

Outside of Bristol City, do these people really believe everything they are told? Or do they apply their own sound logic and reasoning? The latter I hope.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, BobBobBobbin said:

it's not about believing him, necessarily. It's about holding him accountable to his own words. He is the chairman of the football club after all. 

If he wants to profess that we should be going up, challenging for the playoffs then it is only right that he is held to that standard. His dads club, his choices. 

It's a shame that the ire ended up being directed at LM. It should have been aimed at Crayola Boy. 

As someone alluded to recently, keeping Tinnion (and Lansdown) quiet is Sheridan Robins biggest challenge. They can't stop themselves from saying stupid things. 

It should have yes, but realistically it was always going to be the manager who copped the bulk of it. That's not particular to Manning either, it would have been the case whoever was in charge.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, BobBobBobbin said:

Great, we don’t disagree, but repeating it ad nauseam on here whenever the opportunity arises, then directing it at LM, is not holding JL accountable for his words. 

Anyway, is he signing today or what!?

It’s a disappointing one for me, as I mentioned, I quite like TGH but I think he probably doesn’t fancy his chances of regular starts so if this is a relatively cheap replacement, it kind of makes sense. 

13 minutes ago, Kibs said:

I was just about to say something similar but you’ve said it for me.

Outside of Bristol City, do these people really believe everything they are told? Or do they apply their own sound logic and reasoning? The latter I hope.

It’s not about ‘believing what you are told’ though is it.   As many people have already said.  This particular point started as people on here were questioning the validity of bringing in so many players when we were told that Manning was an ‘on the grass’ coach who would develop the players we had. Whether they were top 6 players or not is really here nor there.   We were told by the club that he would develop. That that was his USP.   So discussing what is now happening with a fairly large churn thus far is perfectly valid. It’s not about slagging off Manning or the team. I don’t see that happening anywhere on this thread unless you can show me otherwise? But trying to shut down discussion about it is not on imo. 

Edited by lenred
  • Like 8

48 minutes ago, BobBobBobbin said:

Although @Numero Uno’s post resonates in some ways, it is your first paragraph that nails it.

It isn’t Nige v Liam, that’s just deflection, from whomever and whichever side of the fence you want to use it.

The bloke who says fans think it’s like football manager is the one actually treating it like it is.

Liam Manning will be judged on results / performance against expectations in the boardroom.  Fans will judge him on their own levels of expectation.

• Like 6
  • Flames 2

9 minutes ago, lenred said:

It’s not about ‘believing what you are told’ though is it.   As many people have already said.  This particular point started as people on here were questioning the validity of bringing in so many players when we were told that Manning was an ‘on the grass’ coach who would develop the players we had. Whether they were top 6 players or not is really here nor there.   We were told by the club that he would develop. That that was his USP.   So discussing what is now happening with a fairly large churn thus far is perfectly valid. It’s not about slagging off Manning or the team. I don’t see that happening anywhere on this thread unless you can show me otherwise? But trying to shut down discussion about it is not on imo. 

Totally agree, but is it large churn? James, Conway, TGH out - maybe Cornick and Naismith. Probably about in line with the championship average (gut feel so I could be wrong!). 

my two Pennines is that it’s the speed things are going at in the final week that makes this feel out of control/panicked.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, ciderwithtommy said:

Totally agree, but is it large churn? James, Conway, TGH out - maybe Cornick and Naismith. Probably about in line with the championship average (gut feel so I could be wrong!). 

my two Pennines is that it’s the speed things are going at in the final week that makes this feel out of control/panicked.

I don't think you can say that, James and Conway were going to be done anyway, we were always in the market for strikers with or without Tommy. 

Also, assuming they have been tracking certain players for a while, deals present themselves and in a lot of cases they have to say yes or be prepared to watch the player go somewhere else for 3 years. 

Previously they have been criticised for selling players before signing their replacements, this time the deals seem to have come the other way around.

The last thing I See here is panic, it all seems quite measured.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

It is in the context of an expected quiet summer based on stability and doing stuff in January…assuming we bring in a CB.  That’s not to say I have any probs with TGH out / McGuane in per se.  But there is a sense of recruit rather than coach.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, ciderwithtommy said:

I did use the word ‘fairly’ first 😉 and I think that’s fair - others may disagree. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It is in the context of an expected quiet summer based on stability and doing stuff in January…assuming we bring in a CB.  That’s not to say I have any probs with TGH out / McGuane in per se.  But there is a sense of recruit rather than coach.

Looking for the "almost" finished article? Do you think that privately the "top 10" talk is more bullish than that this season?

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Do you think that privately the "top 10" talk is more bullish than that this season?

Well they used the "P" word when persuading West Ham to loan us Earthy.

"Promotion"! 

We know this because Earthy said so.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Looking for the "almost" finished article? Do you think that privately the "top 10" talk is more bullish than that this season?

Possibly.

Not sure bullish is the right word.  Think they genuinely are setting up for a tilt.  Especially if we end the window with what Manning has asked for.

Not sure if that answers or not.

3 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Recruitment is more immediate; coaching takes time. 

Exactimundo.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, lenred said:

I don’t think I said anyone was slagging off Manning? I said it gets directed towards him. 

And yes, there is a comment early on in this thread which says

“Surely our excellent coach on the grass should be able to coach TGH in that direction no?”

Nobody wants to “shut down discussion” and as I said, I AGREE with what is being said, but for me, it comes up on so many threads it becomes tiresome.

I’m even getting bored and annoyed with myself talking about it!!! so I’ll leave it there because I think this thread was meant to be about a potential new signing. 

• Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Kibs said:

Nobody wants to “shut down discussion” and as I said, I AGREE with what is being said, but for me, it comes up on so many threads it becomes tiresome.

You haven’t read the thread then! 

• Confused 2

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Possibly.

Not sure bullish is the right word.  Think they genuinely are setting up for a tilt.  Especially if we end the window with what Manning has asked for.

Not sure if that answers or not.

Exactimundo.

Agree , coaching v recruitment in the main. However, let’s use TGH as an example . What if manning doesn’t think the player has the attributes to be the player he wants for the role he wants. That doesn’t make him a bad player, just that his natural game suits a different style of football . 

• Like 2

Just to get back on track..

No rush for the paperwork/announcement to be done for McGuane as he won't be part of the team tomorrow.

I'm guessing it'll take a week or two before we see him on the pitch - athough Earthy got minutes a couple of days after signing.

Be interested to see what he brings to the party given his early background.

• Confused 3

34 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Recruitment is more immediate; coaching takes time. 

I mean I agree. Perhaps they sense an opportunity based on a number of factors.

This in some ways feels like a go for it season and yet too much churn too quickly hmm. That immediacy also brings pressure.

Should be an interesting season for sure.

6 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Just to get back on track..

No rush for the paperwork/announcement to be done for McGuane as he won't be part of the team tomorrow.

I'm guessing it'll take a week or two before we see him on the pitch - athough Earthy got minutes a couple of days after signing.

Be interested to see what he brings to the party given his early background.

Why would he not be part of the squad tomorrow out of interest? If the idea is it's one in and one out I would have expected him to be on the bench instead of TGH?

• Robin 1

1 hour ago, Kibs said:

I don’t think I said anyone was slagging off Manning? I said it gets directed towards him. 

And yes, there is a comment early on in this thread which says

“Surely our excellent coach on the grass should be able to coach TGH in that direction no?”

I’m even getting bored and annoyed with myself talking about it!!! so I’ll leave it there because I think this thread was meant to be about a potential new signing. 

I take your point but it's not about Manning it's about the hierarchy. The bit you quoted is what they claimed not him.

From them we got everything from transparent nonsense to obvious lies via contradictory statements. Those of us who want the club to be run in a professional manner want them held to account. Though of course they never will be.

Liam though has not done anything similar or bigged himself up so his hands are clean.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, hinsleburg said:

Why would he not be part of the squad tomorrow out of interest? If the idea is it's one in and one out I would have expected him to be on the bench instead of TGH?

I wrote that I was guessing he wouldn't be part of the team tomorrow, he may well be in the squad if the paperwork goes through in time.

Edited by bcfc01

Just now, cidercity1987 said:

Well a day later it seems ok given TGH has gone

Still Oxford's seventh choice midfielder behind the likes of over the hill Vaulks according to their forum though

Cheap you say? :)

4 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

This will confuse @Robbored as it's not on the OS yet. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Still Oxford's seventh choice midfielder behind the likes of over the hill Vaulks according to their forum though

Doesn't fit their manager's style of play. Will keep the cost down from our POV.

He's likely been signed as a depth/rotation option, but with his pedigree there is clearly a player in there.

Not an exciting signing, but a solid one.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Marcus McGuane - Signed from Oxford Official
1 minute ago, Robbored said:

With any incomings or outgoings are only 100% official when they’re announced on the OS.

Well that's bollocks, you have just seen it on an official channel that isn't the OS. 

Are you saying that the OS, might contradict their own Social Media account? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Well that's bollocks, you have just seen it on an official channel that isn't the OS. 

Are you saying that the OS, might contradict their own Social Media account? 

You mean X?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Remember, Sammie Szmodics couldn’t get a game here and now look… One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.

Looking forward to seeing how this one works out, given it’s a true LM player we’re bringing in.

Edited by pigeon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, BobBobBobbin said:

I understand the point in relation to holding Jon and the TD to account. Using at as a stick to beat Manning with (we seem to have at least one poster who resents the investment in players because Manning should be coaching sub standard players to be better) is utterly pointless and a redundant argument.

If Manning gets beaten with a stick from hereon in it will be the one that says “the club gave you players, some clearly YOUR players, and you aren’t getting results”.

With the benefit of hindsight I do wonder whether Manning and Hogg played a blinder in allowing a very poor run to manifest itself before going back to Nige’s basics……..whether it was by accident or very clever design only they will know.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Just now, Northern Red said:

"Bristol City is delighted to announce the signing of Marcus McGuane...."

This is an irrational hate of mine.

To be honest, it's something that is always difficult to pin down in English. I would say the Club is a single entity so the grammar is correct, but I know others would argue otherwise.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Firstly their forum isn’t the one with their cock on the block so it’s Liam’s decision to bring in a player he thinks can make a difference which he gets judged on. Secondly QPR’s third or fourth choice Centre Forward has started well and is showing signs that there is a player in there with some more coaching and fitness work.

Stats and underlying numbers are great until you use them without context which is far too prevalent on here. @Davefevsoften repeats the mantra that you use the “eye test” to prove or disprove the stats. On stats and underlying numbers alone Leicester don’t get anywhere near winning the Premier League BUT THEY DID!!

• Flames 1

30 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

That's fine Armstrong wasn't rated by QPR fans.

• Thanks 1

Depending on the fee this seems a really sensible one given the departure of TGH (which all seems strange when looking holistically!)

A different type of player to what we've already got, knows the Manager well and will not be expecting to play every game. Previously we'd have dropped a massive loan fee on a PL player we didn't need or signed a player like James until the end of the season. (Not a criticism of Matty just an example of the sort of player we'd go for like GON and Brunt in recent times.)

Also an age where he can still improve and potentially have a resale value if we look at it from a Financial Aspect so I'm hoping the fee is minimal given his situation at Oxford

20 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I understand the point in relation to holding Jon and the TD to account. Using at as a stick to beat Manning with (we seem to have at least one poster who resents the investment in players because Manning should be coaching sub standard players to be better) is utterly pointless and a redundant argument.

If Manning gets beaten with a stick from hereon in it will be the one that says “the club gave you players, some clearly YOUR players, and you aren’t getting results”.

With the benefit of hindsight I do wonder whether Manning and Hogg played a blinder in allowing a very poor run to manifest itself before going back to Nige’s basics……..whether it was by accident or very clever design only they will know.

He certainly didn’t let the hierarchy in on it.

2 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Agree , coaching v recruitment in the main. However, let’s use TGH as an example . What if manning doesn’t think the player has the attributes to be the player he wants for the role he wants. That doesn’t make him a bad player, just that his natural game suits a different style of football . 

Spot on and hence the transfer policy and identifying the type Manning wants.

My only concern is, we signed players in the last 12 - 18 months prior to LM which appears to be based on a particular profile that the Manager/coach at the time maybe had no input on and was dictated to by someone within the club where as it appears LM is having more input and decision making on players?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He certainly didn’t let the hierarchy in on it.

As I said there’s only two people who know why we were flogging a dead horse over a period of three months!! You are right, neither are called Jon or Brian.

• Haha 1