IGNORED

Marcus McGuane - Signed from Oxford Official

Rocky

36 minutes ago, TBW said:

I'm on your side here.

Using is is very impersonal. I would tend to use is when a company is saying something, like, "Samsung is proud to announce the new S26".

For me, though, when a collection of people are doing something, as a team, which is what sports are all about, then it should be are, as in "we are all working towards a common goal, so we are proud to announce...", NOT "we is all working towards a common goal, so we is proud to announce..."

“We is” would clearly be incorrect. However, “the club is” or “the team is” are correct. “The club are choosing a new manager” sounds odd. A club or team is a singular word.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Yes it is and (puts on salesman's hat and persuasive voice) I believe the lack of adverts is due to the membership subscriptions, which we are both up to date with. Incredibly in this day and age, is still only £5 for the year, steadfastly ignoring the ravages of inflation across the years, and is available here. :)

https://www.otib.co.uk/subscriptions/

Absolutely! You’d spend more for a pint of beer.  🍺 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Leveller said:

“We is” would clearly be incorrect. However, “the club is” or “the team is” are correct. “The club are choosing a new manager” sounds odd. A club or team is a singular word.

Disagree entirely. "The club" indicates a collection of people and so what you've written there sounds much less harsh to me.

29 minutes ago, TBW said:

Disagree entirely. "The club" indicates a collection of people and so what you've written there sounds much less harsh to me.

I've had the conversation in my head loads of times .

The Club ( single entity as a thing ) is .....
The Club ( collection of players and staff ) are ....

It's one of those things that , depending on how you look at it , both can be right. 

55 minutes ago, TBW said:

23 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I've had the conversation in my head loads of times .

The Club ( single entity as a thing ) is .....
The Club ( collection of players and staff ) are ....

It's one of those things that , depending on how you look at it , both can be right. 

Marcus McGuane spotting this thread on his signing, then opening it.........

Nick Young Wtf GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Lots of things they get blamed for in language, are probably more correct/original English. For example, Fall was the accepted term in Britain well before the first settlers went over, Autumn is an adopted French term. 

The origin of many things over there is often forgotten though, I remember having a discussion with a couple in a bar, who were shocked to find that we didn't celebrate "Thanksgiving" in the UK. Even after I pointed out the origins of the celebration, they still seemed nonplussed about it.

Although, of course, we do ‘borrow’ some of the traditional Thanksgiving fayre for our own traditional Christmas lunch, notably turkey and cranberry dressing.

18 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Yes it is and (puts on salesman's hat and persuasive voice) I believe the lack of adverts is due to the membership subscriptions, which we are both up to date with. Incredibly in this day and age, is still only £5 for the year, steadfastly ignoring the ravages of inflation across the years, and is available here. :)

Must remind a sober version of myself to go here after I'm next paid

• Like 2

On 24/08/2024 at 09:31, Port Said Red said:

Of course I have now realised that I may have alerted some users to the additional "benefits" of being a member. Among these would be the ability of a certain poster to "facepalm"  every single one of my posts, rather than just the first 10 of the day.  I will just have to hope that £5 is beyond the amount he is allowed to access each day by his carers. 

IMG-20231225-WA0006.jpeg

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Haha 3
  • Facepalm 1