IGNORED

Coventry City at home matchday thread

Jerseybean

A very difficult game, Coventry tipped to finish in the play offs and we’ll have to be better defensively than we were against Millwall.

When we play a club in the cup and league in close proximity the results are often different, so obviously hoping for a different result this time but I can’t see us getting more than a draw as our fairly large group of new players continue to gel. 

• Like 3

One thing I would like to see more of with LM this season is making changes a bit earlier instead of waiting until 60-65 minutes, we've got such strength in depth on the bench now particularly in forward positions. 

• Like 5

Only Friday morning and already Cov have five pages on the game; https://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/bristol-city-a-24th-august-12-30-ko.161902/page-5

Will be tougher than the cup match as Bristol have a very good first choice team. We simply cannot afford to start like we did at Stoke and we need to cut out the mistakes at the back.
No predictions. Depends which Cov team turn up.

Should be another cracking game with plenty of goals.  I was going to suggest a 2-2 draw but feeling very optimistic and have the feeling we'll grab another late winner for a 3-2 win!

That was a good write up on Robins the manager btw; I'd love to see him have a crack in the Premier League during his career.  Would be fitting for him to get there with Coventry to sample at least one season.

• Like 1

Very difficult game against a very good side.

For some reason Ellis Sims always has a great game against off and really hope that changes.

We are as good as them all over the park and could easily pick up the 3 points.

Huge following again from Coventry

COYR 

Think this is actually a really big game and a real potential indicator as to where both teams are. The 3rd game of the season can never be 'must win' but I do think if we're genuinely serious about Top 6 this year (which we should be based on previous comms and the amount spent) then this is the perfect to chance to signal intent. 

If we play like we did first 20 minutes and last 20 minutes against Millwall we can beat anyone in this league, if we play like we did for the middle bit then we could end up anywhere... We've not had many '90 minute' performances (positive ones anyway) under Manning yet, this would be a great time to start and show real growth from last year!

Can see it finishing 2-1, just don't know to who! 

The team will be interesting as well, assuming Twine has to start so does he risk taking out Williams and dropping Bird deeper or is it a straight swap for Mehmeti. I'd keep Armstrong ahead of Mayulu for now and really get him to stretch the defence, having Twine and Bird both capable of putting the ball in behind means we can really stretch them. 

• Like 3

Tough game, I'd expect twine for Williams (or maybe Twine in for Sykes with Bird staying at 10?) to be the only change from the starting XI against Milwall.

They've got a good side however if we are genuinely thinking we're good enough for top 6, these are the sort of games we should be looking to win, especially at home.

I reckon the feel good factor will continue, 2-1 City with Twine and Mayulu scoring

I have utmost respect for Robins and like Lansdown would have liked to see him here. 
When his name came up in the past he was often put down as ‘ a lower league ‘ manager with no success ! 
Well he has it now. 
He has them playing lovely football and appears to be well supported by the club with quality players. 
I don’t think JB mentioned it but , most of us already know , that  our most successful manager to date , Sir Alan Dicks was a coach at Fulham before he came to us . Very good friends with Mr Coventry City , Jimmy Hill. Which came in handy when we both needed one point from our last game to avoid relegation. 
It should also be noted that when our star centre back , Gary Collier, left to join them on a free transfer following the freedom of contract changes , Alan Dicks put all his players on long contracts, famously Whitehead was given one for ten years., to avoid them following Collier on a free.

Logical but ultimately flawed thinking nearly cost us our club as relegation to Division Two meant we had players on top wages that we couldn’t shift leading to the Ashton Gate 8. 
Coventry were perennial strugglers in the top division for many years and bar a superb FA cup over Man Utd under John Sillett were the epitome of boring. 
Their recent struggles with ground sharing and dodgy management seem to be behind them now and they are dynamic and providing something for their long suffering fans to sing about. 
Let’s hope they suffer on Saturday but I wish them well for the future. 

Edited by Major Isewater
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Interesting test for us this one. Coventry fans seem very bullish about having a real tilt at it this year, and in fairness looking at their squad I can see why. I do feel we are still a little more in transition than them. Let’s see…nothing about this one screams 0-0, so going to go for a 3-2 either way.

• Like 1

Like others have said, this is an interesting game and will be a test of where we are. But I imagine Coventry fans will be thinking the same thing. Our improved strength in depth gives me some optimism, but we need to avoid switching off like we did after the first 20 mins against Millwall. 

I'll go with a 3:1 to the City in red. We have to watch out for KP45 so that's why Joe Williams is so important. I can't see "Twiney" starting which is more to do with Mehmeti scoring in the last game & Sykes having a really good game. Williams to play a more advanced role to pick up KP45.

Max

Tanner, Vyner Dickie Pring

Bird Knight

Williams

Sykes Mehmeti

Sincs

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Swede said:

I'll go with a 3:1 to the City in red. We have to watch out for KP45 so that's why Joe Williams is so important. I can't see "Twiney" starting which is more to do with Mehmeti scoring in the last game & Sykes having a really good game. Williams to play a more advanced role to pick up KP45.

Max

Tanner, Vyner Dickie Pring

Bird Knight

Williams

Sykes Mehmeti

Sincs

Don’t worry Palmer will be nowhere near the team, if he is we are in big trouble.

• Haha 2
  • Flames 1

I’m looking forward to the match as well.

I’m sure we’d like to hammer them but in reality  I can’t  see it. 

They are very aware of Dickie at set pieces who scored against them twice last season but they won’t know anything about Armstrong or Fally nor will they know much about Twine.

That said - I really can’t predict the score………:dunno:

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Robbored said:

They are very aware of Dickie at set pieces who scored against them twice last season but they won’t know anything about Armstrong or Fally nor will they know much about Twine.

Best wait until it's on the OS

• Haha 6

13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You are so right.

They will know absolutely nothing about Sinclair Armstrong, who played over 40 games at this level before joining us.

They’ll know even less about Fally Mayulu, who they’d have watched extensive video of and seen played live a week and a half ago.

And it’s totally unrealistic they’ll know anything about Scott Twine, who has been at this level for the last two seasons at the same time as Coventry, and would have been scouted by them as a performer at the level below.

I fully expect Mark Robins to rock up at Ashton Gate and a look of horror appear on his face as he realises Steve Galliers and David Harle aren’t our CM combination, and therefore all of his plans have been thrown out of the window.

• Haha 12
  • Flames 1

7 hours ago, IAmNick said:

Can't make this one. If anyone wants my ticket (for free, or £5 to https://www.chsw.org.uk/ if you can afford it) just pop me a PM.

Someone who actually has a few posts on the forum and will use it themselves preferably!

edit: Gone now

Will you still be posting the goals on here though?   

38 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You really can, anyone can predict it.  Doesn't mean it's going to be correct... but that doesn't matter.

I'm predicting 2 - 2. With us equalising late on.

Go on have a go.  👍

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

They will know absolutely nothing about Sinclair Armstrong, who played over 40 games at this level before joining us.

They’ll know even less about Fally Mayulu, who they’d have watched extensive video of and seen played live a week and a half ago.window.

My point Silvio is that they won’t anything about Mayulu. Watching videos doesn’t show much, different league and with different standard.

They may not have come up against Armstrong either who wasn’t a regular starter at QPR. Many of his Championship appearances were from the bench.

As for Twine - obviously they’ll be aware of his abilities but he’s now playing at a club where he wants to be and under a manager he knows pretty well and who’s methods he’s familiar with. I’m expecting good things from him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

My point Silvio is that they won’t anything about Mayulu. Watching videos doesn’t show much, different league and with different standard.

They may not have come up against Armstrong either who wasn’t a regular starter at QPR. Many of his Championship appearances were from the bench.

As for Twine - obviously they’ll be aware of his abilities but he’s now playing at a club where he wants to be and under a manager he knows pretty well and who’s methods he’s familiar with. I’m expecting good things from him.

Nope, they won't have a clue about how either of them have or will perform for us.

Thankfully we will be playing them at just the right time, before a new initiative of clubs sending scouts to watch their upcoming opponents, kicks in & every club start doing that as part of their preparation.

Thankfully, as it stands, I'd fully expect them to have no idea whatsoever about anything to do with any of our new signings.

Phew - thank goodness for that.!

25 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Nope, they won't have a clue about how either of them have or will perform for us.

Thankfully we will be playing them at just the right time, before a new initiative of clubs sending scouts to watch their upcoming opponents, kicks in & every club start doing that as part of their preparation.

Thankfully, as it stands, I'd fully expect them to have no idea whatsoever about anything to do with any of our new signings.

Scouting reports are standard practice BS3 - all professional clubs do it.
Receiving scouting reports is one thing but they don’t show what an unfamiliar player can do in a match. Coventry won’t  have a strategy for coping with Fally.

They may have come across Armstrong before but we know how hard it is to deal with such power and pace.

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

all professional clubs do it.

Do they spy on team practice? Thought that was frowned upon, arguably illeagal.

Wasn't it LJ who first used drones in training? If i could get away with it id infiltrate clubs and bribe coaches, staff, scouts, team mates, team mates tennis partners, do everything within my power to get the edge over my opponent, where is the line drawn?

Edited by CiderHider

8 hours ago, cityexile said:

Interesting test for us this one. Coventry fans seem very bullish about having a real tilt at it this year, and in fairness looking at their squad I can see why. I do feel we are still a little more in transition than them. Let’s see…nothing about this one screams 0-0, so going to go for a 3-2 either way.

My heart says a 2-1 win for us. However. 1-1 draw most likely. I’ve been back for four weeks and return back to OZ late next week so I’m looking forward to tomorrow.

• Robin 1

2 hours ago, CiderHider said:

Do they spy on team practice? Thought that was frowned upon, arguably illeagal.

Wasn't it LJ who first used drones in training? If i could get away with it id infiltrate clubs and bribe coaches, staff, scouts, team mates, team mates tennis partners, do everything within my power to get the edge over my opponent, where is the line drawn?

It was Bielsa when at Leeds that sent scouts out to spy on other club’s training. One was actually caught hiding in the bushes……………:rofl2br:

There was an outcry in the in football world and media. Bielsa was genuinely surprised at the furore saying that it was normal practice in Europe.

13 hours ago, hinsleburg said:

Think this is actually a really big game and a real potential indicator as to where both teams are. The 3rd game of the season can never be 'must win' but I do think if we're genuinely serious about Top 6 this year (which we should be based on previous comms and the amount spent) then this is the perfect to chance to signal intent. 

Not sure what "previous comms" is referring to but stating that we should be 'Top 6' based on the amount we've spent is a bit misleading- imo.

We've sold our most valuable player for a £5m package which covers the Fally and Twine transfers so the only other real net outlay this window has been Armstrong which is c£1million ish whilst Yu is currently a loan along with Earthy and with McGuane a nominal fee. In terms of net spend it's really low and not really a sign of splashing cash- more the opposite.

That said, it may well be the best value transfer window in many a season. Win lose or draw tomorrow and we still won't have a clue as to where we'll be in a couple of months. 

However, if we do lose obviously some will be expecting a Gas derby next season - Win and others will be booking Wembley hotels .

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Not sure what "previous comms" is referring to but stating that we should be 'Top 6' based on the amount we've spent is a bit misleading- imo.

We've sold our most valuable player for a £5m package which covers the Fally and Twine transfers so the only other real net outlay this window has been Armstrong which is c£1million ish whilst Yu is currently a loan along with Earthy and with McGuane a nominal fee. In terms of net spend it's really low and not really a sign of splashing cash- more the opposite.

That said, it may well be the best value transfer window in many a season. Win lose or draw tomorrow and we still won't have a clue as to where we'll be in a couple of months. 

However, if we do lose obviously some will be expecting a Gas derby next season - Win and others will be booking Wembley hotels .

Some Millwall poster reckoned we've spent £15m this summer which is absurd!!

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

Given the amount of data in the game it's a flight of fancy to think they won't know about the players strengths and weaknesses. What's perhaps harder to work out is the shape the team will take in and out of possession and also what the starting xi will be. Personally I'm hoping Manning starts Twine but equally it wouldn't surprise me if he keeps faith in those who got us off to such a good start last week. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

If you check the OS it will tell you that we played them last week. If you read the match report you will see Mayula  was playing as well

• Haha 2
  • Flames 1

I'm looking forward to this game, which is probably a bad omen as it usually is. As long as we get to see an exciting display I won't be complaining win lose or draw. Selection will start to become a headache for Manning, but with a strong bench we should be in good stead to change the game when required. COYR

19 hours ago, headhunter said:

At FBC Podcast we don't do match previews but I was delighted to be a guest on All things Sky Blue looking forward to Saturday's game.

I was uncharacteristically optimistic:

My big take out from this is WE are charging Coventry fans £35!!

That's daylight robbery and absolute greed, no need whatsoever!

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, frenchred said:

£38 for an adult non member ticket in the SS today.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, frenchred said:

It’s amazing how quickly it escalated from twenty is plenty.

I think we charge £40 for category A games and £25 for under 18s! Disgrace

• Thanks 2

Looking forward to watching this one tonight. 12.30 games used to be a touch annoying when I was in the UK, but watching a game at 9.30pm in Sydney is a positive treat! COYR

• Robin 1

Don’t mind a 12:30 KO especially when you’ve waited all week to get down off the back of last Saturday. 
Get behind the lads, stick with them and good things will happen. Will be a different game to the cup game but should be an excellent game. 
Predictions: 2-1 City

Team: Oleary, Tanner, Vyner, Dickie, Pring, Williams, Knight, Bird, Twine, Sykes, Armstrong. 

• Hmmm 1

Honestly think this could go either way , more importantly the performance will be key for me , I think as long as all the signs are good and with the team still gelling this game may well be a little bit out of reach I honestly expect Coventry to be top 6 comfortably, if it wasn’t for there cup run last year they could well have gone up last season .

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Boosh said:

20 is plenty

30 is dirty

40 is naughty

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Boosh said:

Hopefully it's something the new independent football administrator (or whatever it's called) can look into this and stop it!

It's an absolute steal from the fans!