IGNORED

Coventry City at home matchday thread

Jerseybean

13 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

You get what you deserve.

Gotta change at Reading and it’s Reading festival this weekend, rank

anyway, gonna be a good one, thank you @IAmNick for the ticket, hope we can do similar to last weekend without falling behind 

see ya’ll there, COYRs

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

Just now, Son of Fred said:

Interesting game today,even this early in proceedings,in so much as a positive result will feel like a step change,,movement in the right direction - as opposed to our modus operandi of deceiving to flatter...

Yep, keen to see us against better (on paper) opposition. 🤞🏻

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

yep, Killer didn’t join Cov until after that kit.

Roberts lost his place to a young electrician called Stuart Pearce!

Sure I remember reading that Pearcy,when first at Forest placed an advert for his electrical services in the match day programme!

Apparently wanted to keep his hand in!!

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Sure I remember reading that Pearcy,when first at Forest placed an advert for his electrical services in the match day programme!

Apparently wanted to keep his hand in!!

True (according to his autobiography).

My dad always worried about him getting sent off when he first played for England.  But what a player.

At Forest, those little give and goes with Clough jr were brilliant.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Cloughy had a right go at him for it too. 

"...went on to enquire why there was an advert for Stuart Pearce Electricians in the Forest Programme (As Pearce had been an electrician before turning professional and his brother still worked in the trade)

Clough then proceeds to say ‘If my Barbara calls this number you won’t be coming, will you?’

‘No’ replied Pearce ‘It will be my brother’

'Lads Our captain is a fraud’ Cloughie responded and then walks over to the mystery bag and pulls out an iron ‘Our Barbara’s iron is (broken) and if you don’t fix it, you’re not in the team Saturday’"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, The Fat Controller said:

"...went on to enquire why there was an advert for Stuart Pearce Electricians in the Forest Programme (As Pearce had been an electrician before turning professional and his brother still worked in the trade)

Clough then proceeds to say ‘If my Barbara calls this number you won’t be coming, will you?’

‘No’ replied Pearce ‘It will be my brother’

'Lads Our captain is a fraud’ Cloughie responded and then walks over to the mystery bag and pulls out an iron ‘Our Barbara’s iron is (broken) and if you don’t fix it, you’re not in the team Saturday’"

Mark Crossley tells this story, complete with uncannily good Clough impression, on the Under the Cosh podcast. It was around the time Pearce was stalling over a new contract and being linked with a move away, so Clough wanted to knock him down a peg or two and remind him who was in charge.

And, of course, the iron was fixed good as new and on his desk the following morning.

Really looking forward to today. There is a buzz (maybe that will change when I have my meds)

Cov are no mugs, Play off finalists and FA Cup semi finalists so a really good side and a real indicator of where we are in the Championship. It is early days but I am looking for another good performance, broadly speaking, above anything else & that means a tighter defence.

If the transfer window is a marker of our intent to progress from a perennial mid table Championship team into a team challenging for top ten or top six then we have to beat our perceived rivals. I can't see us keeping a clean sheet so I'm sticking with 3:1 to the red side.

1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

Mark Crossley tells this story, complete with uncannily good Clough impression, on the Under the Cosh podcast. It was around the time Pearce was stalling over a new contract and being linked with a move away, so Clough wanted to knock him down a peg or two and remind him who was in charge.

And, of course, the iron was fixed good as new and on his desk the following morning.

Which straightened things out for all concerned.

On 23/08/2024 at 10:14, headhunter said:

At FBC Podcast we don't do match previews but I was delighted to be a guest on All things Sky Blue looking forward to Saturday's game.

I was uncharacteristically optimistic:

Well done HH, I thought you represented City fans the club very well there.

• Thanks 1

I have blundered rather embarrassingly in as much I had it in my head it was a 3pm kick off (4pm here) so we have arranged to meet friends for lunch. Now I see it is a lunchtime kick off so will miss it on Robins TV. What a feckin plank !!! 

• Haha 1

The only certainty is win lose or draw, this place will be full of extreme posivity or extreme negativity after.

In truth I think we have made good signings but they have only been together a week, so a bit early to determine how good or bad they will be this season as takes time to gel and get to know each other's games and still have Yu to come in.

3 hours ago, HengroveReds said:

Don’t mind a 12:30 KO especially when you’ve waited all week to get down off the back of last Saturday. 
Get behind the lads, stick with them and good things will happen. Will be a different game to the cup game but should be an excellent game. 
Predictions: 2-1 City

Team: Oleary, Tanner, Vyner, Dickie, Pring, Williams, Knight, Bird, Twine, Sykes, Armstrong. 

Lineup correct, now for 2-1 city COYR

• Like 1

Great to see depth in the squad this season. It must make the academy players wonder about their pathway to the first team though. Seems to be a pathway to a loan now, will that affect our chance to continue attracting better quality youngsters I wonder?

4 minutes ago, Mrdc said:

Same in Swindon as well.

Weather could play a big factor in the outcome today 

Yes, hopefully we have made special preparations to cope with the "light rain showers & gentle breeze"..!

10 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I think a few will be surprised to see Sykes over Mehmeti, myself included but I'd also imagine a fair few will be singing and dancing that he's not in the team. 

Twine does need to start but I worry that LMs plan may be Earthy and Mehmeti on for Twine and Sykes later in the game. I'd much rather see Mehmeti and Twine on at the same time, Mehmeti is aggressive and runs at players creating pockets of space that Twine shines in. I really hope Twine isn't going to be used in wide positions from now on, he's great there but could cause so much more damage in that middle spot.

I worry that Manning is very rigid in his midfield and wants one ball winning/ aggressive defensive midfielder, one all rounder and one technician/passer and is unwilling to change that up hence the new signing of McGuane and Williams seeming to be undroppable. I'm under the thought that Williams or McGuane start every game and that we don't play without a traditional DM. 

Edited by Spike
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Great to see depth in the squad this season. It must make the academy players wonder about their pathway to the first team though. Seems to be a pathway to a loan now, will that affect our chance to continue attracting better quality youngsters I wonder?

It's give and take, we either build a strong squad and people will complain youth won't get as much of a chance or we keep a light squad and people will moan we are relying on youth and our bench is weak.

If any of the youth are good enough they will make the squad. If they are not we should not be shoehorning them in.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

The only certainty is win lose or draw, this place will be full of extreme posivity or extreme negativity after.

In truth I think we have made good signings but they have only been together a week, so a bit early to determine how good or bad they will be this season as takes time to gel and get to know each other's games and still have Yu to come in.

That’s football fans. Although I’d argue the use of the word extreme though. 

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

I think a few will be surprised to see Sykes over Mehmeti, myself included but I'd also imagine a failure few will be singing and dancing that he's not in the team. 

Twine does need to start but I worry that LMs plan may be Earthy and Mehmeti on for Twine and Sykes later in the game. I'd much rather see Mehmeti and Twine on at the same time, Mehmeti is aggressive and runs at players creating pockets of space that Twine shines in. I really hope Twine isn't going to be used in wide positions from now on, he's great there but could cause so much more damage in that middle spot. I worry that Manning is very rigid in his midfield and wants one ball winning/ aggressive defensive midfielder, one all rounder and one technician/passer and is unwilling to change that up hence the new signing of McGuane and Williams seeming to be undroppable. I'm under the thought that Williams or McGuane start every game and that we don't play without a traditional DM. 

Tell you what mate, stop worrying ffs

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Can't have it both ways.

Academy players have an easier pathway when the first team is less strong.

A less strong first team means no chance of promotion/progress.

The youngsters that ate good enough will still get their  breakthrough- we just won't see as many minutes for the likes of Yeboah, who was nowhere near the requited standard, yet.

That is why good loan spells are so key in the pathway. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Spike said:

I think a few will be surprised to see Sykes over Mehmeti, myself included but I'd also imagine a failure few will be singing and dancing that he's not in the team. 

Twine does need to start but I worry that LMs plan may be Earthy and Mehmeti on for Twine and Sykes later in the game. I'd much rather see Mehmeti and Twine on at the same time, Mehmeti is aggressive and runs at players creating pockets of space that Twine shines in. I really hope Twine isn't going to be used in wide positions from now on, he's great there but could cause so much more damage in that middle spot. I worry that Manning is very rigid in his midfield and wants one ball winning/ aggressive defensive midfielder, one all rounder and one technician/passer and is unwilling to change that up hence the new signing of McGuane and Williams seeming to be undroppable. I'm under the thought that Williams or McGuane start every game and that we don't play without a traditional DM. 

We have loads of different options now, happy with the starting line-up but it will take a while to see which combinations work best 

19 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Will it?  Full of extreme, or just the odd extreme with most on either side of the middle?

• Like 1

Seems a sensible line-up to me, might have been tempted to go with Williams instead of Sykes and Fally up front but that's maybe a bit too gung-ho. Whilst Sykes has been a disappointment with forward play so far this season, he does work hard and provides decent defensive cover, which I'm not sure Williams would.

2 minutes ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

Really excited about this one, with the new signings + Bird getting off to a good start. First season in a while that I've got genuine hopes for the play offs. 

2-0 city

Excited by Bird, il reckon he will be our player of the season this year, excellent talent 

• Like 2

Mayulu is too good to be sitting on the bench every week.

Bet he's not best pleased about it.

Wish we had Mark Robins, both Simms and Wright on the pitch starting.

Play your best players!! It's not rocket science.

Anyway, come on you reds.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Van ewijk 

latibeaudiere 

rundoni

sakamoto 

Simms 

Wright

mason-Clark 

Thomas assante 

jake Birdwell 

josh eccles 

Coventry really do have a class side 😳 class manager aswell to be fair will be a very tough game this.

Just now, Redrascal2 said:

Cannot understand what Sykes has done to get his place when we have other options.

Yes I find that very odd sykes really has not been in form now for a long time he needs a good game today.

29 minutes ago, PortInTheMorning said:

"Never quote yourself, Brent - it's bad form" -PortInTheMorning

Ironically I can barely drink vinho do Porto at all as it gives me a banging headache, let alone in the morning. 

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Won’t be there today. In Verona for my son’s wedding. 3 points will make what will be a truly fantastic day even better! Very unique, some would say! ;)

Verona are at home to Juve if you’re still there Monday……….

• Like 1