IGNORED

Coventry City at home matchday thread

Jerseybean

Thought there subs influenced the game as it went on as ours weakened our performance,

1-1 bit disappointing after our first half performance but they are decent can see them deffo top 4 as for us slowly going in the right direction ( slowly ) 

• Like 3

Plenty of positives but…it’s a big missed opportunity IMO - people talk about turning 10 to 12th in the league into 8th to 6th with a few draws into wins - that’s it right there. 

Biggest complaint and ironically compliment - we should have won that today. 

• Like 5

Just now, steviestevieneville said:

Frustrating that. How bird didn’t pick mayulu out for a tap in I don’t know . Cov a good side but that’s 2 points dropped . Which is a complement really 

Definitely. Extra bit of composure from Bird and we win the game 

Take the point and move on. No wrist slitting needed. It’s obvious we are changing the style up and it’s a mix of some great movement and football at times mixed in with some not so good. The key is to get better at what we’re doing as we go. Tanner should have dealt with their equaliser and the mood is the very different.

Coventry were lucky to get a point from that.

Losing Dickie took some wind out of our sails and Coventry came back into the game.

We should take the positives from today. We look like a strong and balanced team when we have our best 11 out on the pitch.

Enjoyed that game. We ain’t going down and we’ll be a tough game for any team in this division.

• Like 8

Would have prob taken that before the game, but couple of points dropped now, that & Hull could have finished way different & we’d be flying now! Long old season, wonder if any performances today will impact things before transfer window shuts 

Got to be said ,despite how strong our bench looked  ,the subs we made didn’t improve our play.The subs they made did and that was the difference in the end.

Hindsights a wonderful thing ,but taking Bird off for anyone unless injured or knackered is a poor decision as he makes us tick.Probably the same for Twine.

Hopefully Manning will learn as you can almost predict the changes at 60 minutes whatever is happening on the pitch.

Oh well still unbeaten in the league,but you could argue we should have had 3 wins.

This group of players is great to watch and dare I say it ,but handled well could be in the mix at the end of the season.

• Like 1

As suspected, unable to replicate the 1st half performance in the 2nd. Robins better game management, better subs. Anis must be great in training to warrant getting game time but doesn't bring much to the table for me.

Hopefully Dickie isn't badly injured 🤞

• Confused 1

Unlucky City today 😮‍💨 : better team for most of the game, created way more chances (their GK was MOTM)...but it wasn't our day.

Shame to see Dickie injured too. 

Only criticism is that some of the subs didn't do much and our play was a bit confused in the final...but the overall perormance was still good.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

He goes for the challenge and it’s 100% pen. 

Was his shit touch in the first place though but you’re right I saw that and thought if he goes for it he’s definitely missing and giving a pen

Not sure how to feel about that one. Decent performance and a decent result against a decent side.

However, given the state of play at half time and the fact that Coventry didn't perform particularly well, it feels like a game we could (and perhaps should) have won.

Really hope Dickie hasn't done anything serious. His absence changed the game IMO.

I think a score draw was always on the cards, both frustrating and positive that we should have had more. We are clearly play off challengers but we could be sitting here with 3 wins from 3 and ultimately that lack of efficiency will probably cost us 

• Like 1

Gutted with that result. Should’ve been another 3 pts as per Hull.

Disappointing up front after subs, giving balls away and not being sharp enough.

Dickie is a huge loss. May be in a minority but thought Naismith was ok’ish against top class attackers. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Take a point and move on. Nobody massively shone today for me.  Lots of 6 and 7s out of 10.  Subs made them better and our subs made us worse.  Mehmeti, Wells and Naismith are serious downgrades 

I know this is radical thinking but do we have to at 60 minutes make like for like changes,I simply can’t see the benefit of taking Armstrong off when they knew the defenders couldn’t step up because of his pace,the minute he was off they pushed up as did their midfield 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Would have taken a point beforehand but we've got to be seeing that out after the first half display.

Subs didn't work, last week they did, just the way it goes. That said, I have no idea why Twine went off.

Match fitness would be my guess? Did he play much pre season?

13 minutes ago, The Coach said:

Think today tells me we’re still not a top 6 side yet. We don’t have the real quality of squad depth yet. Likes of Mehmeti aren’t good enough. Although I like Wells he’s had his day. Questions still over the defence for me also. 1 or 2 who start that aren’t top 6 quality but would be better on the bench.

We are very obviously a mid table side. No chance of top 6. 

Two points dropped today bit encouraging signs are there. 

13 minutes ago, The Coach said:

Edited by !james

Think the boring manningball thing is behind us hopefully , bit disappointed with not winning all 3 so far which we easily could have but the standard of football has definitely improved on the previous couple of seasons 

• Like 4

Well that was solid. A good first hour on the whole, called by a wonderful goal that at the time was fully deserved. Using the squads (both is and Cov) then mixed things up a bit and we end on a relatively fair draw.

Ultimately 5 points and undefeated, with some good numbers underpinning things (5.3 shots on target per game is excellent).

Build on this with 6 points from the next three games and we'll be looking at a very solid start (even considering the opposition).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe second half was a slight reality check. Subs not quite as effective. Generally though we look a much more effective and entertaining team than last year. Perhaps the next step we need to make is killing the game off when playing well. 

Still, clear progress imo.

Very grateful for the point as you are a much better side than us currently. We will struggle until Sheaf returns and we bring in another midfielder.

I thought it was going to be a sellout in your end I was surprised by the empty seats. Very quiet too. Think our vocal support got us a point in the end. 

Good luck for the season I imagine you’ll have a far more successful one than us.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

I know this is radical thinking but do we have to at 60 minutes make like for like changes,I simply can’t see the benefit of taking Armstrong off when they knew the defenders couldn’t step up because of his pace,the minute he was off they pushed up as did their midfield 

If Armstrong could last the full 90 with that pressing game it would be impressive!

2 minutes ago, redkev said:

Think the boring manningball thing is behind us hopefully , bit disappointed with not winning all 3 so far which we easily could have but the standard of football has definitely improved on the previous couple of seasons 

Absolutely,just coming down to his subs now and the timing 

Shame really because with a little bit more composure across the 3 games we should be sitting on 9 points. Small margins will get you places at the end of the season and we really need to press home advantages we have in games when presented. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

With the knock he took early on and the way he was going in that game I wouldn’t have kept him on. Big risk…

5 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Not sure how to feel about that one. Decent performance and a decent result against a decent side.

However, given the state of play at half time and the fact that Coventry didn't perform particularly well, it feels like a game we could (and perhaps should) have won.

Really hope Dickie hasn't done anything serious. His absence changed the game IMO.

Not sure it’s a case Coventry didn’t play well, we stopped them playing and dominated the midfield first half 

Based on opportunities we created it should have been a win not a draw but if people are saying Coventry are a top 6 team then so are we 

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

Just now, MythikRobins said:

With the knock he took early on and the way he was going in that game I wouldn’t have kept him on. Big risk…

Williams going off was not the issue, bringing on Mehmeti for Twine and Wells for Bird were the bad subs.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Probably a fair result overall

Coventry started the second half with a lot of niggly tackles which results with Dickie going off.

A decent result against a side aiming for promotion, a good test today.

We could quite easily be sat on 9 points right now, which bodes well as a good start.

Early days though.

Edited by Severn Beach Pigeon
  • Like 2

We now have a good squad, perhaps need another striker (trade in Wells &/or Cornick) & probably now a CB, however LM's in game management continues to be a concern & could be the difference between a top 6 push or not.

• Flames 1

Entertaining game. I thought overall we deserved the win. It’s a shame Bird didn’t find Fally for a tap-in in the second half to make it 2-0. 

Dickie’s injury was a turning point and we didn’t quite look comfortable after that. It looked like we had chances to clear the ball before Palmer’s goal. 

It was a great strike by Tanner which deserved to win the game. 

• Like 3

Not sure Naismith can play in anything but a back 3 now. Doesn’t attack the first ball well enough and to easily turned. Means we are less effective playing a high line as he doesn’t win it on the front food as they play forward, and also a risk in the space behind. Thus an easy and effective get out for them.

Bringing Wells on at 10 was a brave move. Not sure i would have done that given the way the second half was playing out. Would had rather seen Eathy in there, and even pushed Armstrong out wide (if he was still on the pitch).

Fally is a great finisher but still needs a bit of work on his movement.  Going to be a very good player though.

But we are light years ahead of where we have ben for years.  Again for much of the game we looked like a very good technical team who can contrarily games and out play other teams. Coventry are a good team so promising signs. Just hope Dickie is not too bad. 

16 minutes ago, Gert Mare said:

Coventry were lucky to get a point from that.

Losing Dickie took some wind out of our sails and Coventry came back into the game.

We should take the positives from today. We look like a strong and balanced team when we have our best 11 out on the pitch.

Enjoyed that game. We ain’t going down and we’ll be a tough game for any team in this division.

Completely agree... lots of our play is so refreshing to watch and i've enjoyed all 3 of our league games so far.

We're mixing it with some big hitters in the league and there will be mistakes made, but the early signs are promising.

11 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Agreed re Sinclair. Just didn't see that he was tiring or less effective. He's a lot less raw than early reports suggested he would be.

• Like 1

Can’t help but think that we should be 3/3! Last minute pen vs Hull and a Cov equaliser against the run of play.

The subs were very ineffective and completely disrupted our flow.

That being said, would’ve taken a point before the game. Now let’s get all 3 against Derby next week🤞

• Like 1

We’ll play worse and win games this season, thought we were decent. Losing two points to their only shot on target is frustrating, but it was a good performance.

Lack of composure will probably be our undoing this year.

• Like 2

Bird cross had to find Fally for a tap in, 2-0 surely game over. Cov immediately make 2 more subs and push up, I think they knew they had used up a life. 

the above and Dickie going off were the key incidents. The squad is so strong, but it’s not acceptable to have no senior CBs available who can play in a 2 other than the starters. If we want to have a real go this season, we need one CB this week 

• Like 1

Quite happy with that overall. Performance was good definitely, Coventry had their moments but weren't that dangerous.

Dickie going off, let's hope it is minor as he is quite key. Generally an acceptable result and good performance albeit arguably we should've won. That was Coventry's only Shot on Target.

• Like 1

Very disappointed with all of the substitutes to be honest, don’t think any of them covered themselves in glory aside from Naismith who was solid if unspectacular.

Running out of patience with Mehmeti now, his movement today was woeful.

• Like 3

CITY

51% possession

13 attempts on goal

8 on target

0 saves

-----------------------

Coventry

49% possession

9 attempts on goal

1 on target (for 1-1)

7 save

-----------------------

Very good first half capped by a thunder bastard from Tanner. First 15 of the second half was fine but then Robins started out-subbing Manning again and we ended up a bit ragged. Armstrong going off allowed them to play a higher line and we missed his work and pressing up front. But accepting that Armstrong needed to go off, I thought it was strange that he subbed both Bird and Twine - Coventry must have been happy about that.

A draw wasn't a bad result but I'm thinking it was probably two points dropped.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, BetterRedthanBlue said:

Watching the stream on and off due to work commitments but did Mehmeti touch the ball when he came on? I swear I didn't hear his name once absolutely no dig on him but I'm just curious because every time we attacked it was down the fight.

I felt that when we got the ball on the left Mehmetti would do his best to not receive it .. it put way more pressure on pring . He didn’t bust a gut as you’d expect someone to do when they’ve been dropped 

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1