IGNORED

Coventry City at home matchday thread

Jerseybean

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think we should be looking to bring a LW in. Mehmeti was so wasteful today. 

I've thought that all summer. Why pay 3.5 million for a no.10 and play him wide ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Second game in a row significantly worse after half time. Before anyone starts I thought 1st half they were there for the taking, surely you build and upgrade on that whilst accepting they're going to have spells of possession. I'd like to see 15 mins of Armstrong and Mayulu together and then take Armstrong off. Predictable subs and timing.

2 minutes ago, George Rs said:

Don’t how mehmeti doesn’t score that cutback by the way. You have to slide in there and just get any contact. 

And in doing so take out the Coventry defender from behind? Think you can be equally critical of Mayulu and Bird in that situation too if you really want to be, but ultimately it's just bad luck.

It was frustratingly close, but that doesn't mean any of the players involved made any major error.

5 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

And in doing so take out the Coventry defender from behind? Think you can be equally critical of Mayulu and Bird in that situation too if you really want to be, but ultimately it's just bad luck.

It was frustratingly close, but that doesn't mean any of the players involved made any major error.

Plenty of time to read the situation and get in front of the defender. It's called desire.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not blaming for the result but ref didn't give us much, did he.

Thought he had a stinker, looked a pen from the dolman. Stopped the game unnecessarily when we were on the break with a Coventry player down but not a head injury, giving far too many soft free kicks including the one for the equaliser. Assistant referees equally as hopeless.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, George Rs said:

Don’t how mehmeti doesn’t score that cutback by the way. You have to slide in there and just get any contact. 

He doesn’t gamble when he gets in the box, but Mayulu didn’t either today. Had a couple balls flash across the six yard box without anyone attacking them in the second half.

17 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

I've thought that all summer. Why pay 3.5 million for a no.10 and play him wide ?

He’s spent most of his career playing off the left hasn’t he? Seemed to cut inside both on and off the ball today.

3 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Lack of 'bravery' ?

Maybe, or simply insufficient desire and/or poor anticipation.

I thought Mehmeti and Wells were lightweight and didn't add anything.

We need greater strength in depth and to start with, I hope we get McNally this week (or another quality CB).

Cracking goal from Tanner (pleased for him) followed by unfortunate mis-control to give Palmer his goal opportunity.

However, Vyner should have prevented the cross.

Mayulu will continue to improve and will usually, at the very least, get a good strike on target.

Derby next week won't be as straightforward as some here seem to think. No easy games in the Championship.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 1team said:

Second game in a row significantly worse after half time. Before anyone starts I thought 1st half they were there for the taking, surely you build and upgrade on that whilst accepting they're going to have spells of possession. I'd like to see 15 mins of Armstrong and Mayulu together and then take Armstrong off. Predictable subs and timing.

You summed it up well

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Plenty of time to read the situation and get in front of the defender. It's called desire.

It's easy to sit in the stands and simply say "Just be a few yards further forward, just run a bit faster, just make sure you always get to the ball first". People forget that there's an opponent trying to do exactly the same thing.

It's pretty simplistic to just call it a lack of desire.

12 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Thought he had a stinker, looked a pen from the dolman. Stopped the game unnecessarily when we were on the break with a Coventry player down but not a head injury, giving far too many soft free kicks including the one for the equaliser. Assistant referees equally as hopeless.

I did wonder about the penalty shout in particular.

Yes another dodgy one for sure..

2 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

It's easy to sit in the stands and simply say "Just be a few yards further forward, just run a bit faster, just make sure you always get to the ball first". People forget that there's an opponent trying to do exactly the same thing.

It's pretty simplistic to just call it a lack of desire.

Obviously got different views on it which is fine. I just didn't see an attacker busting a gut to get on the end of a cross.

11 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Derby next week won't be as straightforward as some here seem to think. No easy games in the Championship.

Yeah I anticipate a tricky one. Winnable but tricky.

Winning at Watford atm aren't they. Otoh us being the away side Could give us license to both look to be on top and to hit on the break when the chance presents.

14 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Yes, Tanner had to pleed on his knees when he was fouled right in front of the Assistant, only then did he raise his flag. Very bad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Ah fingers crossed then. I’m still haunted by the ban given out (unfairly) to Bailey Wright. 

We're hopefully fine this time but they love a retrospective ban to us on less than cast iron grounds.

Wright- 2 Games- 2017

Diedhiou- 6 Games- 2018

Sykes- 4 Games- 2023

19 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Although briefly browsing Twitter, Coventry fans seem to think he was on our side somewhat. Bizarre.

57 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Yes looked a clear pen to me from the Dolman to, I really struggle with the way assistant referees are involved in the game nowadays as they don’t seem to ever make a decision for themselves or highlight issues to the referee.

13 minutes ago, pillred said:

Another post is saying Dickies done his hamstring, not a very lucky club are we. 

Prefer Roberts to Naismith at CB if playing 4 at the back, but does leave us literally “short” in that position as neither him nor Vyner that tall. Atkinson supposedly a few weeks away still, so definitely a worry. 

• Like 2

We really could have 3 wins from 3 but an unbeaten start isn't to be sniffed at with a squad with so many new additions.

We couldn't quite get that second half onslaught going today, it was starting to get going until the ref stopped the game for a Coventry "injury" that quickly put the fire out.

We still should have taken all 3, still bemused at Mehmeti's lack of movement in the box, Fally not looking quite as effective today either. Williams with some great tackles in a dominant first half and Tanner's goal the highlights for me.

• Like 2

Played very well 1st half, thought momentum changed when Dickie went off, Naismith would tend to slow down the ball out, play backwards or hit a long ball, whereas Dickie combined well with Pring. Subs then were all a bit strange, but we are not privy to the information they have on the players live stats.

Would like us to combine Fally, Bird and Twine on the pitch to start with as both clever players and fally likes playing the one twos. Bring on Armstrong 2nd half when the opposition are tired 

Well just got home and haven’t read through the thread but I’ve got to say I didn’t like Coventry today, lots of holding and snidey late tackles/nudges from them.

Dickies injury was as a result of a late tackle and I wouldn’t be surprised if Earthy is unavailable next week after the snide tackle from Palmer.

Felt the subs ruined our performance today, once Twine and Bird went off we lost the neat interplay in the final third.

But it’s got to be said the football is far more entertaining than last season but I fear that we may have picked up a few injuries today as Armstrong was also limping heavily at the end.

Get Derby out of the way and the international break might do us a favour.

• Like 6

Game was stop-start after their goal due to injuries which didn't help us. Earthy clattered soon after coming on by Palmer and was a passenger after, Twine went off as was tiring hasn't played a full game for ages. Can't help wondering if we'd have conceded if Dickie hadn't gone off.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Game was stop-start after their goal due to injuries which didn't help us. Earthy clattered soon after coming on by Palmer and was a passenger after, Twine went off as was tiring hasn't played a full game for ages. Can't help wondering if we'd have conceded if Dickie hadn't gone off.

Yep, having outmuscled them first half, they broke any rhythm we tried to create by being extra physical in the second period.  They grew in confidence to play out from their keeper, and had a lot more territory.  Our press looked fragmented with not knowing whether to push onto Rudoni or stick on Palmer.

Still a good point, we were better overall imho.

Disappointing result but not an overall disappointing performance. Their keeper made some stunning saves first half when our midfield of Williams, Knight, Bird and Twine bossed the game and Armstrong gave their defence merry hell. Hard to single anyone out but Williams was outstanding. What a player George Tanner is becoming. Defended really well 1 on 1 as we now expect but he's been a revelation coming forward and what a strike for the goal. 

Sadly our 2nd half was not up to the standard. In fairness Coventry are a good side and some little tweaks in their midfield set up started to stifle our movement going forward and, as much as I hate to say it, Kasey Palmer coming on improved them and inevitably he struck the equaliser. After Dickie went off, and the change of Mehmeti on for Twine left us playing with 10 men it was an even contest. Today Fally's flicks didn't pay off and he should of kept it at time. Still it needed another good save from Dovin to stop it being 3 from 3. At the death Naismith was all sea but Thomas-Asante dragged his shot horribly wide. 

Worried about Dickie for Derby as I don't want Naismith alongside Vyner, but as it looks like a hanstring he's possibly out for weeks. If Atkinson is anything near 85% fit I'd bring him in or put Hayden Roberts there. 

Edited by RoystonFoote'snephew
Text corrrection
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Manning cost us today with some strange decisions. Why search for Twine all summer then play him on the left when he’s a 10. Bird is a 6, play him there. I hope Liam isn’t another LJ and Tinnion doing an Ashton……we need a winger. 

Bird has been excellent at 10. Why would he not keep him there whilst he's being so effective.

Twine is versatile & it's not like playing him wider is a totally foreign concept. 

I agree our substitutions made us weaker today & I wouldn't have made the ones that we did.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Disappointing result but not an overall disappointing performance. Their keeper made some stunning saves first half when our midfield of Williams, Knight, Bird and Twine bossed the game and Armstrong gave their defence merry hell. Hard to single anyone out but Williams was outstanding. What a player George Tanner is becoming. Defended really well 1 on 1 as we now expect but he's been a revelation coming forward and what a strike for the goal. 

Sadly our 2nd half was not up to the standard. In fairness Coventry are a good side and some little tweaks in their midfield set up started to stifle our movement going forward and, as much as I hate to say it, Kasey Palmer coming on improved them and inevitably he struck the equaliser. After Dickie went off, and the change of Mehmeti on for Twine left us playing with 10 men it was an even contest. Today Fally's flicks didn't pay off and he should of kept it at time. Still it needed another good save from Dovin to stop it being 3 from 3. At the death Naismith was all sea but Thomas-Asante dragged his shot horribly wide. 

Worried about Dickie for Derby as I don't want Naismith alongside Vyner, but as it looks like a hanstring he's possibly out for weeks. If Atkinson is anything near 85% fit I'd bring him in or put Hayden Roberts there. 

Big miss as well they look dangerous from set pieces. 

3 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Naismith on for the injured Dickie, please let's not see any of his defensive gaffes.

He made one of his usual mistakes but luckily City got away with it. 

2 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Williams going off was not the issue, bringing on Mehmeti for Twine and Wells for Bird were the bad subs.

I’d add Naismith coming on for Dickie. Naismith hadn’t got any pace, which Coventry knew, and exploited it. Roberts would have been a much better option as he played well last season. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Obviously got different views on it which is fine. I just didn't see an attacker busting a gut to get on the end of a cross.

I think the point being missed is , it was a poor ball by bird. Fally was unmarked about 8 yards out with the keeper stranded. I don’t know how he didn’t pick him out 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Classic case of fitting the best players into a formation, not the best players in thier positions. 

7 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I think the point being missed is , it was a poor ball by bird. Fally was unmarked about 8 yards out with the keeper stranded. I don’t know how he didn’t pick him out 

Why would you point that out when you can scapegoat Mehmeti instead? Bird looks like a cracking player but he didn’t play the pass that wins the game today. Simple as that.

24 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Atkinson is anything near 85% fit I'd bring him in or put Hayden Roberts there. 

I really wouldn't want to risk Atkinson as we could end up with him and Dickie both out for some time. Naismith is also a risk for other reasons.

Roberts is better in a back three rather than as one of two CBs imo and him with Vyner leaves us a bit lacking in height at the back. It's not taken long for injuries to give us a potential headache has it.

3 minutes ago, Jose said:

Just seen their goal. Pretty awful defending by Tanner. A real shame after his strike. Always pretty solid at the back too. 

Yep, it was mistakes at both ends that cost us, some would call it ruthlessness. Atm I’m looking at performances and whether anything is changing in the way we are looking to play. The early signs for decent chunks of the league games are that change is happening. Need to add the ruthless bit and positive results in games like today will hopefully follow.

Go back 12 months when we played Coventry and compare that with today (not a dig at Nige as that’s the squad we had at the time), yes we win the game but they controlled it for the vast majority. That is not sustainable over time and was why Nige wanted funds to move things on.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Yep, it was mistakes at both ends that cost us, some would call it ruthlessness. Atm I’m looking at performances and whether anything is changing in the way we are looking to play. The early signs for decent chunks of the league games are that change is happening. Need to add the ruthless bit and positive results in games like today will hopefully follow.

Go back 12 months when we played Coventry and compare that with today (not a dig at Nige as that’s the squad we had at the time), yes we win the game but they controlled it for the vast majority. That is not sustainable over time and was why Nige wanted funds to move things on.

We had 8 players injured, we were quite makeshift but I don't necessarily disagree with the underlying point.

We improved after an injury break and a switch away from the Back 3 in the October one or at least steadied it.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

We had 8 players injured, we were quite makeshift but I don't necessarily disagree with the underlying point.

We improved after an injury break and a switch away from the Back 3 in the October one or at least steadied it.

What we are looking to now do is win games with possession and control rather than countering on teams who are dominating possession. Bird makes runs, Twine looks for space, it’s different. We were largely but not completely comfortable against a good side but we didn’t finish them off and paid the price.

If we control a larger part of games moving forwards AND get the bits right that we got wrong today we start picking up results that match performances. How often we can right the wrongs defines the season. For me, getting the performance standard right is the important bit to start with.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Why would you point that out when you can scapegoat Mehmeti instead? Bird looks like a cracking player but he didn’t play the pass that wins the game today. Simple as that.

I agree he’s a very tidy player . It was though a poor decision as you say simple as that . 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I really wouldn't want to risk Atkinson as we could end up with him and Dickie both out for some time. Naismith is also a risk for other reasons.

Roberts is better in a back three rather than as one of two CBs imo and him with Vyner leaves us a bit lacking in height at the back. It's not taken long for injuries to give us a potential headache has it.

Another option is play Pring with Roberts outside him, Cam has played there before and gave a good account of himself 

• Like 1

Ok, you should have won that.  

‘’Two points of note.  I haven’t seen any footage but from what I gather the Robins goal should have been chalked off for whatever reason?

We were poor, but you played your part in making us look poor of course.  If Asante had scored at the end it would have been tough on you. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

I wouldn't be averse to a back 3 of Tanner, Vyner and Roberts. Might not be the tallest but it's not entirely about height but the ability to time the jump, get into the ribs if the opposition and stop them getting a clean head on the ball. Roberts is quicker than Naismith and won't try Cruyff turns on the edge of our box. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I wouldn't be averse to a back 3 of Tanner, Vyner and Roberts. Might not be the tallest but it's not entirely about height but the ability to time the jump, get into the ribs if the opposition and stop them getting a clean head on the ball. Roberts is quicker than Naismith and won't try Cruyff turns on the edge of our box. 

I think you’ll find Roberts is very confident in his ability on the ball and will try things like Naismith, which our less cultured CB’s won’t try.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sky Blue said:

‘’Two points of note.  I haven’t seen any footage but from what I gather the Robins goal should have been chalked off for whatever reason?

We were poor, but you played your part in making us look poor of course.  If Asante had scored at the end it would have been tough on you. 

So our goal should been chalked off but you don’t know why ? Brilliant . We should have been 2 up & out of sight by the time you scored. Definitely 2 points dropped . Shows we’ve improved as I’d expect your lot to be up there around the top 6 by the end of the season . 

6 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

So our goal should been chalked off but you don’t know why ? Brilliant . We should have been 2 up & out of sight by the time you scored. Definitely 2 points dropped . Shows we’ve improved as I’d expect your lot to be up there around the top 6 by the end of the season . 

Just saw it.  I’d been told so by someone I’d given a lift to.    The TV commentators suggested it was obstruction on the goalie.  Not so in my book.  Yea, you should have been well ahead.  Yes, we should be in the top 6 at the end of the season…providing we don’t play you.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

It was a tap in for striker with a striker’s instinct.

Enjoyed the game which overall I thought we edged. Midfield were dominant in the first half but we lost momentum after the subs. Lots of positives going forward in what was a good calibre championship game. It is a league of fine margins and on another day we could have won it. Dickie injury is a concern but we now have better squad depth. 

First game I haven’t watched in a very long time, Work got in the way, as I have got myself involved as a driver for the Bergerac filming that’s going on over here. Just finished for today.

Anyway, from what I can gather, it seems that we were very good in the first half and not so good in the second half, which seems to be something of a recurring theme. The goal sounds like an absolute scorcher.

Prior to kickoff I would’ve probably settled for a point, but had I been watching it and the first half was as good as it sounded, I’d probably feel disappointed about having to share the points in the end.

I haven’t had time to look at the thread. Does anybody know or has it been discussed what sparked the kerfuffle after the equalizer?

Let’s hope the Dickie injury isn’t anything too serious.

We remain unbeaten in the league.

3 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

First game I haven’t watched in a very long time, Work got in the way, as I have got myself involved as a driver for the Bergerac filming that’s going on over here. Just finished for today.

Anyway, from what I can gather, it seems that we were very good in the first half and not so good in the second half, which seems to be something of a recurring theme. The goal sounds like an absolute scorcher.

Prior to kickoff I would’ve probably settled for a point, but had I been watching it and the first half was as good as it sounded, I’d probably feel disappointed about having to share the points in the end.

I haven’t had time to look at the thread. Does anybody know or has it been discussed what sparked the kerfuffle after the equalizer?

Let’s hope the Dickie injury isn’t anything too serious.

We remain unbeaten in the league.

See the Williams thread re kerfuffle 😀

https://www.otib.co.uk/topic/226594-williams-ban-incoming/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sky Blue said:

It was in all fairness to both sides a cracking good game of championship football.  Whilst we edged, it without doubt, I listened to Mark Robbins assessment on youtube. Honest as always and a good manager. Bemoaned  his team lack of quality..and agreed only shot on target for Coventry was their goal

Edited by DT The Optimist

13 hours ago, nickolas said:

Not a chance. Tanner twice the player McCrorie is im afraid. 

In a 3 at the back with wing backs I'd agree, McCrorie does have something about him though, I just don't think he's had the consistency in playing. A few injuries and Tanner getting his name on the sheet means McCrorie is going to struggle to get into the team, but I think he'd thrive in this team given a chance to get consistent games. It's a good problem to have at the end of the day and as things are and with Tanner scoring that goal today I don't see him losing his spot unless he gets injured and McCrorie impresses in that time period. 

I also think different games can suit different players, having options is always a good thing. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Manning cost us today with some strange decisions. Why search for Twine all summer then play him on the left when he’s a 10. Bird is a 6, play him there. I hope Liam isn’t another LJ and Tinnion doing an Ashton……we need a winger. 

To many options trying to squeeze to many players into to few positions.  

On 24/08/2024 at 14:17, Major Isewater said:

Palmer is no longer welcome . 

Coventry fans:  "He left 'cause you're shit" may be more catchy - but "he left because you sold him because he wasn't providing value-for-money" is more accurate. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Coventry fans:  "He left 'cause you're shit" may be more catchy - but "he left because you sold him because he wasn't providing value-for-money" is more accurate. 

A very different set of lyrics yesterday to what we used to sing!

• Like 2