IGNORED

Williams ban incoming

Unan

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

So you want someone to just get accept getting elbowed?  It’s a passionate game 

Yes.

Because if there’s one thing I’ve learnt in half a century of watching football, it’s that reacting in the way Joe did rarely ends well. At best you get the same colour card as the player doing the elbowing. And more often than not the reaction gets the more serious punishment. He’s a professional. He should know that.

Far better to react by winning the next challenge against the player who just elbowed you. 

• Like 1

He was very good today, snapped into his tackles & passed the ball well.

Good decision to renew, knee jerk reaction to say otherwise.

Palmer was embarrassing though, so pleased we moved him on.

• Like 12
  • Flames 2

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Yes.

Because if there’s one thing I’ve learnt in half a century of watching football, it’s that reacting in the way Joe did rarely ends well. At best you get the same colour card as the player doing the elbowing. And more often than not the reaction gets the more serious punishment. He’s a professional. He should know that.

Far better to react by winning the next challenge against the player who just elbowed you. 

Very simple to say that yes.  Try playing competitively on the edge…not so easy then. 

3 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Maybe we could appeal and get the yellow overturned to a red?

You can have aggression and quality. Unfortunately Williams is all aggression.

One of the better players on the pitch today win it and give it, that's his job. Far better with him in the team that without.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

For all those saying Williams was there man of the match, funny how even the club didn’t see it that way 😂

IMG_1031.jpeg

Armstrong?! Have they been smoking crack?!

4 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Armstrong?! Have they been smoking crack?!

Well, I'd imagine you are one of the people they'd not be daft enough to tell.

Seriously, I don't see why they'd limit the choice, unless it is a technical issue with big dick boy's social media network.

1 minute ago, Lordofthebling said:

All 4 of them you could pick faults with, but my oh my did we miss big sincs when he went off

It’s a weird one. I think I agree that we did miss him, however, he was crap today. 

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

It’s a weird one. I think I agree that we did miss him, however, he was crap today. 

He just needs to learn how to hit the target. Pretty important for a striker I know!

Did quite like him cutting in from the left tbf, but know that's not manning ball

It was Mehmeti when he came on, followed by the Fally flicks that got my blood pressure up.

5 minutes ago, Lordofthebling said:

He just needs to learn how to hit the target. Pretty important for a striker I know!

Did quite like him cutting in from the left tbf, but know that's not manning ball

It was Mehmeti when he came on, followed by the Fally flicks that got my blood pressure up.

Yeh… I’m not sure what Mehmeti is the answer to. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Lordofthebling said:

I thought he was good, love the flying in to challenges but that's just me - sets the tempo!!!!! Have ittttt

That’s exactly it. We need that. Twine Earthy Bird are good players but you need a Williams that likes to leave a bit behind, if you get my drift!

• Like 8

5 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

People want a bit of attitude and for us not to be a pushover and when someone shows it they aren’t happy. Bizarre 

There is a massive difference between controlled and uncontrolled aggression.

Compare Williams and Sinclair

30 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Williams for City and Armstrong for QPR have similar yellow card to appearance ratios I think.  

Williams aggression is mainly controlled. I can’t judge Armstrong on such few games 

49 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

17 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Williams for City and Armstrong for QPR have similar yellow card to appearance ratios I think.  

Williams aggression is mainly controlled. I can’t judge Armstrong on such few games 

And, after my comments above, just to be clear, I’m a big Williams fan and I agree that his aggression is mainly controlled. He just seems to suffer a touch of the red mist now and again (the yellow card today, the pen at Hull) and they can be costly. 

It may have been a bit of a unsavoury incident, and not what you want Joe Williams to do but what it did do is bring the fight into the team again after conceding a goal.  Got all the lads instantly back up for the fight and for the rest of the match we more than equalled what is a very good Coventry team.  Unfortunately their chances came from Naismith lack of pace against a couple of whippets.  However after conceding in previous seasons we would have folded and probably came away with nothing.

For what it’s worth also Joe Williams was very good today, and for me out performed Knight who seemed to dally on the ball and miss control it quite often.  Can never fault either work rate though!!

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, petehinton said:

“Who could make us worse when coming off the bench?”

I’m keen to understand what Mehmeti actually did wrong today.  He didn’t have much impact, but he didn’t do anything wrong either.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m keen to understand what Mehmeti actually did wrong today.  He didn’t have much impact, but he didn’t do anything wrong either.

In a nutshell,if you bring a defender on you expect him to defend likewise if you bring a attacking player on you expect him to do at the slightest have a go but like you say he done nothing and if doing nothing wrong is the standard we want then god help us 

Edited by joe jordans teeth

19 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

In a nutshell,if you bring a defender on you expect him to defend likewise if you bring a attacking player on you expect him to do at the slightest have a go but like you say he done nothing and if doing nothing wrong is the standard we want then god help us 

I didn’t say he did nothing (he did several things)…I said he did nothing wrong.

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I didn’t say he did nothing (he did several things)…I said he did nothing wrong.

And do you want subs coming on and us coming out of the ground thinking (any player) well he didn’t do anything wrong so that’s a bonus 

Edited by joe jordans teeth

Wreckless, petulant, but my god it shows he cares.

I want winners, people who hate losing. There’s a line that shouldn’t be crossed though - think he’s tread on it here, but I’m giving him the benefit of doubt.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Yes I would. He’s had 2 red cards in 220 games.  Not exactly Julian Dicks or Roy Keane is he! 

Keane got 13 in 473 games, I mean it's higher than Williams but I do think people think Keane got sent off every week :laugh:

That bit of info aside I do think too many of our fans only see the negatives in Williams because they don't see the intricate things that he does that gets him picked, not to mention his aggression is something we lack from almost every other player in our squad. That passion to get stuck in and fight for the team is inspiring to the other players and when you see a team that concedes and all the players heads just go down you can see why they go on to lose. Williams doesn't do that, he stays fired up which motivates his teammates to keep going.

I'm glad none of our fans have actual control of the team selection, or they'd not be able to pick a line up after a few months because they'd run out of people to blame due to not being able to read the game and understand you need players with different qualities. You cannot just have a team of similar players and expect them to have balance in their play.

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think (and we all know my thoughts on Anis!) we have to remember he had something like 37 minutes on the pitch today when considering the added time, and nobody can remember a meaningful contribution. If that was a starter in an attacking position you’d quite rightly be considering if you should hook him at the break.

Peoples overall view of his performance is being coloured by him not getting on the end of the Bird cutback, and even though there is a debate of whether Bird should have played Fally or Anis in, it remains the case that Anis just wasn’t aware enough - and it’s a consistent with him in his game as I’ve said before. The only other thing I really remember from him was a horribly wayward cross.

So, for me, it’s not per se that he missed 17 sitters etc. It’s that he wasn’t a threat, wasn’t effective and in turn that probably helped Coventry gain a foothold. When you then put in the mix the Bird thing I can see why people are down on him today.

I’m down on him every week, it’s just nice to have company 😂

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I struggle with him for a number of reasons albeit everytime he plays I think “this is the game”

So for me today and in general…he backs out of what feels like every 50:50 tackle, he should have been more committed to the ball across the goal (slide in, movement or throw a leg out) and I think his decision making is poor for final output so today as an example he ran into the box and instead of flashing it across goal or getting a quick floating cross in he delayed and ending up having to recycle.

1 hour ago, stokes7 said:

What a worthless post, you do know he got booked so can’t get banned, also didn’t hit him just wrapped his arm around his head

Yes that what I thought. Referee dealt with it with the yellow card. So it's been dealt with no more action allowed.

Just my thoughts 

COYR

• Like 1

15 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

For all those saying Williams was there man of the match, funny how even the club didn’t see it that way 😂

15 hours ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

I suggest football is not for you.

I would suggest that spelling is not either!

😇

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, GrahamC said:

He was very good today, snapped into his tackles & passed the ball well.

Good decision to renew, knee jerk reaction to say otherwise.

Palmer was embarrassing though, so pleased we moved him on.

What game were you watching? He’s a hard working player but lacks technical ability. Bird and Knight need to be the two, with Twine central. 

• Hmmm 2
  • Facepalm 2

5 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

What game were you watching? He’s a hard working player but lacks technical ability. Bird and Knight need to be the two, with Twine central. 

That pass for Twine’s winner last week obviously never happened then, Conway at West Ham?

He’s a better passer of the ball than Knight, who has other qualities.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think (and we all know my thoughts on Anis!) we have to remember he had something like 37 minutes on the pitch today when considering the added time, and nobody can remember a meaningful contribution. If that was a starter in an attacking position you’d quite rightly be considering if you should hook him at the break.

Peoples overall view of his performance is being coloured by him not getting on the end of the Bird cutback, and even though there is a debate of whether Bird should have played Fally or Anis in, it remains the case that Anis just wasn’t aware enough - and it’s a consistent with him in his game as I’ve said before. The only other thing I really remember from him was a horribly wayward cross.

So, for me, it’s not per se that he missed 17 sitters etc. It’s that he wasn’t a threat, wasn’t effective and in turn that probably helped Coventry gain a foothold. When you then put in the mix the Bird thing I can see why people are down on him today.

Exactly, scapegoating.  We always have to find a player to blame.

Worth watching back Mehmeti’s run into the box, he’s a bit unlucky really, tries to drag Van Ewok (sic) near and far.  A better cross and either of our two players score.

The whole second half was a bit ordinary, it became bitty.  Coventry ran Bird and Armstrong around by keeping possession, and Armstrong tired, Twine not really involved much either.  If anyone was poor when he came on it was probably Mayulu.  Yes, Mehmeti wasn’t a threat, but doesn’t mean he was to blame.  The whole team were not at the level they were first half, all half, not just post-subs.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

That pass for Twine’s winner last week obviously never happened then, Conway at West Ham?

Thought he passed well today. Picking out our players on the wing. 

• Robin 1

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

There was one thing that bugged me. Fally getting up a head of steam towards goal, looking for a gap to shoot, with Anis, running directly on front of him, not breaking left or right, just IN THE WAY! 

It was probably just unfortunate that Fally wanted to run where he was heading himself, but with Anis looking back over his shoulder it reminded me of this . :)

Screenshot_2024-08-25-11-39-53-31_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

He should look up the rules. No retrospective sanctions as the referee booked him so has seen the incident.

Have you seen the FA Handbook this season? It's horrendous full of references to blue cards.

Junior football under 9s has now got kick ins instead of throw ins.  It annoys me as the kick ins have already caused confusion for some coaches as they're not direct the same way you can't throw the ball in the net from a throw in.  The games rules are getting beyond messy.  You then have to layer league rules over the top aka premier league and VAR.  In all fairness screw being a referee it's like a bloody PhD now.

• Like 1

I sit in the South Stand so had no real view of events as they were unfolding but I did say to the fellas around me that’s Joe Williams. Instinctively as he has a short fuse and word gets about. He plays right on the edge. He also had one of his more effective games in a City shirt. 

2 hours ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Have you seen the FA Handbook this season? It's horrendous full of references to blue cards.

Junior football under 9s has now got kick ins instead of throw ins.  It annoys me as the kick ins have already caused confusion for some coaches as they're not direct the same way you can't throw the ball in the net from a throw in.  The games rules are getting beyond messy.  You then have to layer league rules over the top aka premier league and VAR.  In all fairness screw being a referee it's like a bloody PhD now.

It used to be such a simple game. 😞

How long have we been saying we are 'soft'? Not just us but our opponents too, and when one of ours shows some passion, some fight we moan, not me I would take the ban and hope we show a bit more bottle at times, we don't do the black arts or the niggly things that wind opposition up, like a Vardy, or dare I say a Gow,or Hunter and who was that full back scouser we had from Everton? Biggest wind up merchant and we loved it, he played to the East End and we lapped it up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GrahamC said:

The current set up is not working. Play Bird where he needs to be, I don’t care if it’s Knight or Williams, don’t think either are top drawer at this level. But to play all three isn’t helping anyone. We look disjointed and it’s typical square pegs in round holes. We have a great chance to be successful if we pick the best 11 players in the squad and play them in natural positions. 

Maybe I am spoilt being a Londoner for past 20 odd years and I watch a lot of live PL football. But it’s so slow at this level. The gap is getting bigger. 

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Exactly, scapegoating.  We always have to find a player to blame.

Worth watching back Mehmeti’s run into the box, he’s a bit unlucky really, tries to drag Van Ewok (sic) near and far.  A better cross and either of our two players score.

The whole second half was a bit ordinary, it became bitty.  Coventry ran Bird and Armstrong around by keeping possession, and Armstrong tired, Twine not really involved much either.  If anyone was poor when he came on it was probably Mayulu.  Yes, Mehmeti wasn’t a threat, but doesn’t mean he was to blame.  The whole team were not at the level they were first half, all half, not just post-subs.

Is that their CB from Netherlendor?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Topper 123 said:

Keep up good work joe , you had palmer in your pocket after incident he just didn’t fancy it 

Apart from doing a nasty one on Earthy.

At least, I think it was him.

Edited by AppyDAZE

23 hours ago, italian dave said:

Yes.

Something I’ve learned in nearly half a century of watching football is that young lads (he is a young lad compared to many of us) sometimes get caught up in the moment and make mistakes.

They aren’t in an office where an issue presents itself and you book the meeting room to discuss it or on a building site where you get the Site Agent over and ask him what he wants you to do. Split second reactions and decisions are not always right or sensible.

We want players to play with aggression (physical and mindset) and occasionally it boils over.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yeah in your company on this one

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

The current set up is not working. Play Bird where he needs to be, 

After 3 good performances, struggle a bit with the notion it's not working. 

Last 2 games we have created loads of chances, with Bird often at the heart of things. Against Millwall he had a decisive part in the 1st goal & the assists for the 2nd & 3rd.

He's also come close to scoring in both games & should have had another assist v Cov.

Unlikely to see any major changes in formation/personnel at the moment imo.

• Like 6
  • Flames 2

5 hours ago, cotswoldred2 said:

How long have we been saying we are 'soft'? Not just us but our opponents too, and when one of ours shows some passion, some fight we moan, not me I would take the ban and hope we show a bit more bottle at times, we don't do the black arts or the niggly things that wind opposition up, like a Vardy, or dare I say a Gow,or Hunter and who was that full back scouser we had from Everton? Biggest wind up merchant and we loved it, he played to the East End and we lapped it up.

that was why i liked jack hunt,he was good at it

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Something I’ve learned in nearly half a century of watching football is that young lads (he is a young lad compared to many of us) sometimes get caught up in the moment and make mistakes.

They aren’t in an office where an issue presents itself and you book the meeting room to discuss it or on a building site where you get the Site Agent over and ask him what he wants you to do. Split second reactions and decisions are not always right or sensible.

We want players to play with aggression (physical and mindset) and occasionally it boils over.

He’s hardly a ‘young lad’ is he? 200 Championship appearances. He’s one of our senior players.

I don’t dispute what you say. But that doesn’t make it defensible, doesn’t make it something to be excused, and it’s something that potentially affects the whole team and the outcome of a game.

He probably should have got a red (second yellow) at Hull. And getting involved like he did Saturday risks (rightly or wrongly) a red too. And we need him playing every week because when he’s at his best his controlled aggression makes him one of our best players. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Haji Wright is a right manual manipulator though, not surprised he was involved. Good player, but a tit. 

That's how you want your wingers to be IMO. Get into their heads, annoy them, bait them be tricky and manipulative. Anything that can make them more rash, less controlled, get them booked and make your job easier.

Edited by MythikRobins
  • Like 1