IGNORED

Observations…

1 hour ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Observation: well, more of a question: where will the clean sheets come from? Sigh ......

We were playing one of the stronger teams in the division today - how many saves did Max have to make?

It’s not like we conceded dozens of chances and were lucky to escape with a point.

Didn’t see a lot wrong defensively today and nothing to make me think we don’t have a few clean sheets in us.

• Like 10
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, ChippenhamRed said:

We were playing one of the stronger teams in the division today - how many saves did Max have to make?

It’s not like we conceded dozens of chances and were lucky to escape with a point.

Didn’t see a lot wrong defensively today and nothing to make me think we don’t have a few clean sheets in us.

I’ve seen a couple of posts about our defence. Bar their goal which does look sloppy from Tanner we defended well. Not for the first time, our defence wasn’t the problem it was the final third. We looked fine at the back. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Tbf I think most comments today have been sensible and borne out of frustration not anger. What I would say is coming off a few seasons of consistently grinding out results we certainly have that look, on early impressions obviously, of a side that will win games this season having controlled the game too.

We look to have a decent base to work from, the season is all about whether we improve what we are looking to do as we go. That’s Liam’s job and that will be the difference in potentially 7 or 8 league places come May. Today was about one moment for me, Bird makes a great run, Sykes plays a peach of a pass and if we get the next bit right we pick up three points.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Jose said:

I’ve seen a couple of posts about our defence. Bar their goal which does look sloppy from Tanner we defended well. Not for the first time, our defence wasn’t the problem it was the final third. We looked fine at the back. 

I guess if you look at chances, it’s easy to look at shots on target (as Manning himself did on BBCRB), and say our defence wasn’t an issue.  And in many respects that’s correct.  But we do now have a weak point, in behind Pring / down the side of Dickie (or Naismith).  Was it Simms who went through and then tamely shot from a narrow angle?  Assante with another narrow angled shot, past the far post.  These are trends (happened every game since Willem) I expect our pros to be aware of.  I suspect they are, but maybe they like / accept the risk / reward of playing Pring as a semi-isolated FB, because Twine (or Mehmeti) are playing narrow to get closer to Armstrong (or Mayulu).

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I guess if you look at chances, it’s easy to look at shots on target (as Manning himself did on BBCRB), and say our defence wasn’t an issue.  And in many respects that’s correct.  But we do now have a weak point, in behind Pring / down the side of Dickie (or Naismith).  Was it Simms who went through and then tamely shot from a narrow angle?  Assante with another narrow angled shot, past the far post.  These are trends (happened every game since Willem) I expect our pros to be aware of.  I suspect they are, but maybe they like / accept the risk / reward of playing Pring as a semi-isolated FB, because Twine (or Mehmeti) are playing narrow to get closer to Armstrong (or Mayulu).

Going forward they are one of the better teams in the division. We kept them to not a lot. I’m annoyed we didn’t win that as we were better than them on the day. The defence was not the problem today. ( Bar Tanners mistake I guess) 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree - They should have made Max work on at least 2 occasions in the second half outside of the goal from promising positions within the box. 

3 hours ago, BITW said:

Not sure how it looked on sky but I thought Williams was class first half. Had him down as our best player. 

Yep me too thought he was stand out today- he was all over them in midfield and broke up play on several occasions 

32 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Playing devils advocate - is it not worrying then that Max isnt having saves to make and we arent winning the game?

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I suspect they are, but maybe they like / accept the risk / reward of playing Pring as a semi-isolated FB, because Twine (or Mehmeti) are playing narrow to get closer to Armstrong (or Mayulu).

That was the take I got from this game. Twine is technically a good player with vision, but Pring looks far too isolated and inhibited when we play like this. Overall I think we look more purposeful and entertaining, but we lose some dynamism and options on the left. I guess at the moment we are sacrificing one area a bit for another. A few more games and maybe we might sort this. I even wondered whether Roberts might suit this better than Pring at the moment, because he strikes me as a more fluid player in his movement than Pring and might suit the. system more.

Also I thought he might get Mehmeti a bit wider when Twine went off but he stayed predominantly tucked inside more. He was incredibly frustrating and I can’t help but feel at times he’s a playground footballer. Tons of skills, can do the odd worldie, but for me lacks that reading of the game. It was summed up a few times in the box when I thought he was on his heals not anticipating, and when we broke near the end and didn’t seem to know where to run and take up position. Our wide players lack a bit of final ball quality and hope Hirakawa is that more football savvy player. Fair play to Sykes today though, I thought he played the best he has for a long time, and worked hard.

Frustrated because I think we lack a little in game composure at the moment still. We still lose our heads a bit when up against it and begin to lose our shape, end up stopping playing football. Rectify that and I see know reason we can’t make a go at the play-offs this season. Oh and the first time I’ve seen Bird in live action for us (missed last weeks match) and got to say he looks class.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Jose said:

Going forward they are one of the better teams in the division. We kept them to not a lot. I’m annoyed we didn’t win that as we were better than them on the day. The defence was not the problem today. ( Bar Tanners mistake I guess) 

It wasn’t “the” problem, for sure.  But that part of it is something we could do something about or just accept it is an Achilles heel.

5 minutes ago, ray savino said:

That was the take I got from this game. Twine is technically a good player with vision, but Pring looks far too isolated and inhibited when we play like this. Overall I think we look more purposeful and entertaining, but we lose some dynamism and options on the left. I guess at the moment we are sacrificing one area a bit for another. A few more games and maybe we might sort this. I even wondered whether Roberts might suit this better than Pring at the moment, because he strikes me as a more fluid player in his movement than Pring and might suit the. system more.

Also I thought he might get Mehmeti a bit wider when Twine went off but he stayed predominantly tucked inside more. He was incredibly frustrating and I can’t help but feel at times he’s a playground footballer. Tons of skills, can do the odd worldie, but for me lacks that reading of the game. It was summed up a few times in the box when I thought he was on his heals not anticipating, and when we broke near the end and didn’t seem to know where to run and take up position. Our wide players lack a bit of final ball quality and hope Hirakawa is that more football savvy player. Fair play to Sykes today though, I thought he played the best he has for a long time, and worked hard.

Frustrated because I think we lack a little in game composure at the moment still. We still lose our heads a bit when up against it and begin to lose our shape, end up stopping playing football. Rectify that and I see know reason we can’t make a go at the play-offs this season. Oh and the first time I’ve seen Bird in live action for us (missed last weeks match) and got to say he looks class.

That was what I said to guy next to me, we lost our structure / shape…and then our patterns fall to pieces.  That is an area we need to find a trigger to reset when it isn’t going to plan.

• Like 1

My observations.

Another second half where our performance was worse than the first. It’s become a huge theme under LM and he really needs to address it. 

Decent first half performance, but we don’t move the ball fast enough in the final third.

What’s the point in buying two number 10s and playing one on the left and one on the right? Both struggled to get in the game as a result.

My observations are that I really enjoyed the game. 

Referee and his assistants were very poor. 

Coventry with their tens of millions spent were not very good and there for the taking really. 

They were really dirty.

I think we had too many 1-2s around the edge of the box that ended up being misplaced. 

Apart from that I think we deserved the win really. 

• Like 12
  • Robin 1

3 hours ago, PortInTheMorning said:

I had Williams as man of the match. Really don't understand the hate he is getting from some people on here. 

It tends to be knee jerkers jumping on a passing bandwagon?  IMHO     

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Just me or are the four choices here odd? Would have had Williams and Sykes in. Thought Tanner was very good going forward but Wright did get round him a few times, Bird as has been said good but not up to last week, Pring no arguments and Armstrong good but a bit wasteful. 

They’re probably in the top 8 of the 16 who got on the pitch today but I think MS/JW are in the conversation 

You see for me Pring, in the first half especially, was very poor. His touch was by and large dreadful and far too heavy. Our passing to him was poor as well, which obviously isn't his fault, but saw him having to check his runs to double back and receive the ball.

Knight was below his usual standard also. Bird and Williams were outstanding first half and Anis had his best performance of the season in the opening hour....

2 hours ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Entertaining game again and a tremendous first half where our midfield dominated with fast-paced movement. For me the jury is out on Mannings in-game management with our second-half’s highlighting where he gets out-manoeuvred.

1 minute ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

My observations.

Another second half where our performance was worse than the first. It’s become a huge theme under LM and he really needs to address it. 

Decent first half performance, but we don’t move the ball fast enough in the final third

We simply have to stop Manning from speaking to them at half time. Sadly that is a recurring theme across his reign. Whatever it is he says doesn't work as we are always at our most vulnerable between 45-60.

One other thing to note. Knight is not working as a captain for me. Work the new rules around who can speak to the referee he needs to be in the ear of the ref at every opportunity, but more often than not he just doesn't go anywhere near him. I get that he's a leader in the training ground, but he needs to do it during matches. 

Whilst the substitutions didn’t work - if either Fally or Mehmeti had converted that golden chance by being “more committed” to try and get the cross then that puts us 2-0 up and probably game over.

Then sadly the ball bounces off Tanners chest and KP goes right foot left foot and buries almost their only chance!

Welcome to Championship football - small margins!

4 hours ago, JP Hampton said:

Totally disagree about Williams thought he was a linchpin in that game today. Felt he had a better game than Knight today.

If you’ve said it before about Jo then I wonder if you’re already looking at him as you’ve previously viewed him rather than watching him as he is. 

I thought Knight was off it a bit today, although better in the second half. 

7 minutes ago, sunningdalered said:

I thought Knight was off it a bit today, although better in the second half. 

I thought he was really good today.  Played more as the distributor in midfield, rather than driving onto the left.

Well a very frustrating game there but still unbeaten in the league. My observations:

-Tanner very good today and an incredible finish so very impressed by him.

-Unlike others I didn’t think Williams was very good last week but this week I did think he was good for me his best game of the season.

-Also very impressed by Vyner so far this season. I have been a big critic of his in the past but have been a lot more impressed with him this season.

-Concerned about the Dickie injury but if Atkinson can get himself back fit this is probably a chance for him to show Manning why he should be a starter.

-I don’t think Pring has looked himself so far this season and would like to see Roberts get a bit of game time in the coming games. Still think Pring will recapture his form though.

-Much more improved performance from Sykes, much more like his old self.

Overall a frustrating result as we could have had more from the game but I’m still feeling a buzz for the season ahead and if we get a good result at Derby we can go into the International break strong. COYR!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

My observations are that I really enjoyed the game. 

Referee and his assistants were very poor. 

Coventry with their tens of millions spent were not very good and there for the taking really. 

They were really dirty.

I think we had too many 1-2s around the edge of the box that ended up being misplaced. 

Apart from that I think we deserved the win really. 

Without affecting the result, I thought the referees performance was just bizarre.

The mess he got himself into with a substitution was particularly amusing, one of our players left the field and the announcer said “leaving the field for Bristol city #16 Rob Dickie” or whoever it was, but then the referee allowed play to continue and wouldn’t allow his replacement to come on (and the stadium announcer waited until the break in play to give the second half of the message). 

After hundreds of live games and god knows how many I’ve seen on TV, that was a new one for me!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Williams turned it over multiple times in the second half, one blind pass in particular could have put us in trouble had it not bounced in our favour, mid to late in the second half.

Always easier to pass it sideways and avoid your inevitable criticism. It's fairly obvious the team has been drilled on quick forward passing and we're not playing the across the back, out to the wing and repeat football that we've played for the last couple of years.  Clearly more risky, definitely more entertaining.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, luke_bristol said:

Without affecting the result, I thought the referees performance was just bizarre.

The mess he got himself into with a substitution was particularly amusing, one of our players left the field and the announcer said “leaving the field for Bristol city #16 Rob Dickie” or whoever it was, but then the referee allowed play to continue and wouldn’t allow his replacement to come on (and the stadium announcer waited until the break in play to give the second half of the message). 

After hundreds of live games and god knows how many I’ve seen on TV, that was a new one for me!

Dickie went off, then Naismith needed to change his boots or tie his laces. Ref carried on as the sub wasn’t ready and allowed the change at the next stoppage. Was odd the way the linesman did it, but he held up the board first time when Naismith was still not ready. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Missed today's game due to the early kick off as I work a Saturday morning. I would of made it if it had been 3:00pm. 

To make it even worse I'm having to get rid of the Sky Sports at the end of the month as the whole package has got to expensive.  So I won't see the TV games at all. I'm hoping that not to many more games are changed as I'm a season ticket holder.

Just another step towards making it harder for average football fan.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Fuber said:

Didn't think Williams was bad today being honest.

Think the issue is that Mehmeti coming on killed any movement up top.

He doesn't know how to find pockets like Twine, and he doesn't gamble as he should more when far post. 

We need a wide option on the left willing to take his man on and get a ball on. Mehmeti nor Twine can do so. Second Hirakawa is match fit Anis is dropped for me.

Possibly sykes ?

8 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Dickie went off, then Naismith needed to change his boots or tie his laces. Ref carried on as the sub wasn’t ready and allowed the change at the next stoppage. Was odd the way the linesman did it, but he held up the board first time when Naismith was still not ready. 

From where we were you could see Naismith getting ready , he didn't have his tech thing on , then he was helped on with his shirt and disappeared for a bit. He spoke to Manning shortly before so it was very poor not being ready. I think we thought he was ready, hence the first time the board went up. 
The lad behind us was raging at him not being ready to go , really poor organisation. 

• Like 2

Thought we were solid today, should have been a couple up at HT. 

Second half changed on the Dickie injury, also exposed Vyner, got himself into some really poor positions. For me has a major part to play in their goal, not stopping cross. 

Bird, Williams were excellent I thought. 

Unbeaten start to the season, must be happy. Could be 9 points but happy enough with 5 I feel. 

• Like 5

My observation would be about the squad - perhaps stating the obvious, as we’ve spent some money in the transfer market….

I was saying under NP (with Scott) we were 2 or 3 players away from being a very good (in terms of top 10 plus) side

I think we are pretty much there today.

But now we are, I realise, after today’s substitutions - we are 2 or 3 players away from being a very good squad

If I look into my crystal ball, in terms of a play off push, I just have this niggly feeling 1 or 2 injuries and it will all be a bit average again - I mean we saw it with the subs today. 

If we could do some upgrades before the window ends, I’d be feeling quite optimistic.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RedRock said:

Nobody has mentioned Max!

Not stand out today as he didn’t have much to do, but has developed into a really solid upper Championship keeper. A couple of season’s back I had my doubts about him in the Championship, but I think now he could actually take the step up with us if we achieved promotion. 

No need to really because he didn’t have much to do apart from picking the ball out his net

I thought I’d watch the game from the 62nd minute onwards, ie when the subs were made.

Apart from it becoming scrappy, I don’t think City did an awful lot wrong.  Certainly not to blame Manning about.

I think it’s far too easy to see us 1-0 up when subs made and conclude that the game ending up 1-1 must be the subs thought.  BBCRB post match had similar views.  They also said Twine and Bird came off together, which wasn’t true.

In that period we created chances too.

Think the result a bit harsh on us.

Think the game got physical and players on both sides tired and it got a bit sloppy.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

You know when people post: where will the goals come from? It was a twist on that, but never mind! Don't worry about it ...

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I thought I’d watch the game from the 62nd minute onwards, ie when the subs were made.

Apart from it becoming scrappy, I don’t think City did an awful lot wrong.  Certainly not to blame Manning about.

I think it’s far too easy to see us 1-0 up when subs made and conclude that the game ending up 1-1 must be the subs thought.  BBCRB post match had similar views.  They also said Twine and Bird came off together, which wasn’t true.

Think the game got physical and players on both sides tired and it got a bit sloppy.

We were the better side but without sounding like a broken record without a pacy powerful forward we lost our midfield control because their back line moved up and swamped our midfield 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Concerned about Fally today 

His body language seemed all wrong.  

That's the issue we don't know what conversions we're had when he signed was he promised a starting spot ? Or told he will be fighting for a place with everyone ? Has the 2 goals he has scored made him think he should be starting over armstrong? And then would you blame him for thinking that ? Tough one.

Edited by BCFC31

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I thought he was really good today.  Played more as the distributor in midfield, rather than driving onto the left.

Agree knight was brilliant today played deeper and kept the ball moving quickly.

24 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

My observation would be about the squad - perhaps stating the obvious, as we’ve spent some money in the transfer market….

I was saying under NP (with Scott) we were 2 or 3 players away from being a very good (in terms of top 10 plus) side

I think we are pretty much there today.

But now we are, I realise, after today’s substitutions - we are 2 or 3 players away from being a very good squad

If I look into my crystal ball, in terms of a play off push, I just have this niggly feeling 1 or 2 injuries and it will all be a bit average again - I mean we saw it with the subs today. 

If we could do some upgrades before the window ends, I’d be feeling quite optimistic.

See...I think the squad is actually a little more resilient to injury this season.

I think, this season, we have a greater number of players closer to the average standard of the squad. We've got less variability in ability. 

We dropped off a little with the changes, some players are below the average standard, but Cov changed things too. In general, I think we can absorb injuries without the overall standard of the match day squad dropping as severely as it has done in recent seasons.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

24 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

That's the issue we don't know what conversions we're had when he signed was he promised a starting spot ? Or told he will be fighting for a place with everyone ? Has the 2 goals he has scored made him think he should be starting over armstrong? And then would you blame him for thinking that ? Tough one.

You are guessing but after his performance today he doesn’t deserve a starting place 

17 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

See...I think the squad is actually a little more resilient to injury this season.

I think, this season, we have a greater number of players closer to the average standard of the squad. We've got less variability in ability. 

We dropped off a little with the changes, some players are below the average standard, but Cov changed things too. In general, I think we can absorb injuries without the overall standard of the match day squad dropping as severely as it has done in recent seasons.

Agreed, absolutely much more so than in previous years - but my thoughts/comments are in reference to that overall standard being enough for a sustained play off push, which is the ultimate goal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luke_bristol said:

Er, he got fed up waiting & cov players were in his ear.

I could have quite possibly shouted 'get on with it' myself.

33 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

No one is promised a starting spot are they? It would be an idiotic thing to do.

I've got a feeling him and Armstrong will be sharing gametime for the foreseeable. But maybe he'll be the starter v derby.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Agreed, absolutely much more so than in previous years - but my thoughts/comments are in reference to that overall standard being enough for a sustained play off push, which is the ultimate goal. 

Yes, and that is a fair criticism.

20 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Er, he got fed up waiting & cov players were in his ear.

I could have quite possibly shouted 'get on with it' myself.

Agreed, so we should have kept our player on until sleepyhead was ready to come on. Instead he imposed a sin bin on us 😄

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Dave, you’ve mentioned before about our second half drop-off seeming to be a regular thing. It’s happened again today, and seems to be a continuing theme under LM.

What would you put this down to? A lack of fitness? Inability to adapt to opposition? Instructions to players being too confusing? Complacency after a good first half? I know it’s hard to say when you’re not in the dressing room, but I see regularly that second half performances are worse than first half under LM and find it hard to see how he can’t be held to blame for that continuing pattern.

I can see why we've bought the new player from Oxford. Assuming he's the player he was under Manning before he left to become our manager, bringing him on for Williams would have been the change to make.

Being glass half full we're creating plenty of chances, unbeaten in the league and made a well fancied Coventry look ordinary for long periods. It's just a shame we haven't quite got the results we deserved. After Derby we've got a fortnight off and if you compare how we've started this season to some of the games last season where we struggled to create any chances I think we're a lot stronger.

If Dickie is out I'd potentially play 5-4-1 at Derby. Sykes, Tanner, Vyner, Naismith, Pring, Williams, Knight, Bird, Twine, Armstrong.

• Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, Cityboy1954 said:

Possibly sykes ?

Meant outside on the left.

All of Twine, Anis, Sykes, Cornick are all right footed, makes us slightly predictable.

Edited by Fuber

3 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Meant outside on the left.

All of Twine, Anis, Sykes, Cornick are all right footed, makes us slightly predictable.

Yeh think twine was quieter on the left side today hopefully the japanese kid can play on either side .

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

From where we were you could see Naismith getting ready , he didn't have his tech thing on , then he was helped on with his shirt and disappeared for a bit. He spoke to Manning shortly before so it was very poor not being ready. I think we thought he was ready, hence the first time the board went up. 
The lad behind us was raging at him not being ready to go , really poor organisation. 

Got to agree.

It was obvious for some while that Dickie was struggling & so why Naismith wasn’t ready in time to replace him was baffling.

Points at this level are hard enough to earn with 11, so if Coventry had scored when we were a man short it would have been unforgivable.

Having said that apart from the time he got completely done for pace, I thought Naismith did ok when he came on.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Dave, you’ve mentioned before about our second half drop-off seeming to be a regular thing. It’s happened again today, and seems to be a continuing theme under LM.

The opposition play a significant part in that. 

What would you put this down to? A lack of fitness? Inability to adapt to opposition? Instructions to players being too confusing? Complacency after a good first half? I know it’s hard to say when you’re not in the dressing room, but I see regularly that second half performances are worse than first half under LM and find it hard to see how he can’t be held to blame for that continuing pattern.

It’s not down to any particular reason and it’s happened only twice, it’s not therefore a regular occurrence. The opposition deserve credit - they play a huge part.

It could be argued that our players aren’t adapting to the opposition changes……:dunno:

In todays match there were two decent teams who cancelled each other out. I can see both being in the running come the spring of next year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

You see for me Pring, in the first half especially, was very poor. His touch was by and large dreadful and far too heavy. Our passing to him was poor as well, which obviously isn't his fault, but saw him having to check his runs to double back and receive the ball.

Knight was below his usual standard also. Bird and Williams were outstanding first half and Anis had his best performance of the season in the opening hour....

We simply have to stop Manning from speaking to them at half time. Sadly that is a recurring theme across his reign. Whatever it is he says doesn't work as we are always at our most vulnerable between 45-60.

One other thing to note. Knight is not working as a captain for me. Work the new rules around who can speak to the referee he needs to be in the ear of the ref at every opportunity, but more often than not he just doesn't go anywhere near him. I get that he's a leader in the training ground, but he needs to do it during matches. 

Agree with your analysis and like the idea of LM having a dump at half-time rather than dumping on the players. 
I, too, thought Williams was our best player and generally I’m not his greatest fan. 
Twine is wasted on the left but having said that the pressing from the front was superb first half and the whole front six need to take credit for that. Bird looks a very neat footballer indeed but Manning had a real problem fitting three or four players who want to be central into one position. 
Knight was not great today but I thought Armstrong was a revelation. I was expecting a muscled up Bas Savage but some of his lay-off play was great. The ref seemed to take a real dislike to him and gave him nothing- ref was sooo poor and his whistle led to their goal and prevented two of ours. 
Substitutions really didn’t help us and Fally leading the press looked as if he was lost in translation. The loss of excellent first half pressing was the difference between winning and drawing. Finally Memeti and Wells were way off it today. If Anis plays why not try him on the right wing?

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Got to agree.

It was obvious for some while that Dickie was struggling & so why Naismith wasn’t ready in time to replace him was baffling.

Points at this level are hard enough to earn with 11, so if Coventry had scored when we were a man short it would have been unforgivable.

Having said that apart from the time he got completely done for pace, I thought Naismith did ok when he came on.

Considering how long he’s been injured he did pretty well I thought.

That said Manning could have played Pring alongside Vyner and brought Roberts on instead but replacing like for like was the obvious option.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

You are guessing but after his performance today he doesn’t deserve a starting place 

Your conveniently forgetting his superb performances against Hull and millwall though.

8 hours ago, Fuber said:

He doesn't know how to find pockets like Twine, and he doesn't gamble as he should more when far post. 

We need a wide option on the left willing to take his man on and get a ball on. Mehmeti nor Twine can do so. Second Hirakawa is match fit Anis is dropped for me.

Yeah felt Williams and Bird had good games. And the problem arise on Mehmeti's introduction. Not enough output. Does not seem able a pass at all at times. Fine when has the ball at his feet but poor at finding others in the forward positions.

Again just as I saw it.

COYR 

8 hours ago, Fuber said:

8 hours ago, Fuber said:

I liked Williams' bullish work today. Some of those tackles!

Sadly Anis was really poor. He just could not get into the game today. Fally was found wanting too. Those 30 minutes were not his best.

The substitutions of Bird and Twine, exposed the reason why we are so poor in breaking teams down in the top third. Without their involvment, we really look a bit clueless.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PortInTheMorning said:

I had Williams as man of the match. Really don't understand the hate he is getting from some people on here. 

Its not hate. It's frustration at the regular little bouts of stupidity.  It detracts from the good stuff he does. 

24 minutes ago, LocoPal said:

I liked Williams' bullish work today. Some of those tackles!

Sadly Anis was really poor. He just could not get into the game today. Fally was found wanting too. Those 30 minutes were not his best.

The substitutions of Bird and Twine, exposed the reason why we are so poor in breaking teams down in the top third. Without their involvment, we really look a bit clueless.

When I saw the team sheet I feared we'd fall off when we made subs.  Good thing about the Millwall game was we could improve things off the bench. There is something to say for leaving someone on the bench who perhaps should start if you were picking your best XI.  Someone who will make an impact.  I don't think that's Mehmeti.  He really should have 3 goals this season if he had the required desire to get in the right place.  Did it once but has missed out of 2 tap ins in the 2 Coventry games.

• Like 1

Pretty but ineffective is still how I’d describe it, but whereas last season this was a big criticism, this season I’m optimistic and enjoying it. I feel that once it inevitably clicks in the final third, we’ll be in amongst it.

Bird and Sinclair coming in are key for me. Bird is class and Sincs is an absolute menace. Knight has also continued his progression and is doing the unglamorous stuff very well.

I’m looking at the menu and considering the humble pie.

12 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Twine was relatively anonymous first half other than that late free kick - as noted, he was wide on the left where we know he’s not effective as opposed to in the centre as he was last week. No issue in taking him off, as he was the weakest of the midfield five first half and some way below Sykes who was our best outlet (argument there he had more space as Cov were more concerned with Twine but I think it’s as simple as he played better).

The issue wasn’t necessarily in taking him off it was a) his position to start with  and b) his replacement being Mehmeti

The Bird change made less sense, particularly in the context of the shape it gave us. Wells is not really a 10 and you had two who could play 10 wide in Mehmeti and Earthy (debate how well). So in practical terms we were set up in  more of a 4-4-2 with Williams (who I thought was very good today) and Knight being the CM so we really lacked creativity centrally. 

I'm not sure it's as simple as Sykes performing better.

It looked to me like Cov were doubling up on Twine.

Obviously this will reduce his ability to impact the game, and I don't think Twine was near his best yesterday, but I don't think he had a shocker either.

10 hours ago, CS Red said:

Missed today's game due to the early kick off as I work a Saturday morning. I would of made it if it had been 3:00pm. 

To make it even worse I'm having to get rid of the Sky Sports at the end of the month as the whole package has got to expensive.  So I won't see the TV games at all. I'm hoping that not to many more games are changed as I'm a season ticket holder.

Just another step towards making it harder for average football fan.

Close the account and go under the wife’s name I got it nearly 50% cheaper 

I thought last weeks ref was bad, this one bloody awful a prime example blowing up when we were on a break for a Coventry injury which was not a head injury, countless fouls by players not given, another favorite not giving a blatant corner when him and the dopey linesman just looked at each other 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Severn Beach Pigeon said:

I'm not sure it's as simple as Sykes performing better.

It looked to me like Cov were doubling up on Twine.

Obviously this will reduce his ability to impact the game, and I don't think Twine was near his best yesterday, but I don't think he had a shocker either.

Tbf that was a point I’d acknowledged in my original note as a possibility but it didn’t look like that wholesale to me. Because Cam plays further forward generally than George there are naturally more “bodies” (both offensive and defensive) on our left side and I think it’s a function of that. Clearly that should theoretically also create space on the right as well though!

I think the bottom line point is that nobody is saying Twine performed better than Sykes, Bird, Williams or Knight yesterday, so if Liam wanted to make a sub, he was the obvious candidate.

The broader question there is whether he needed to make the sub - he was asked in his presser this week how much he pre plans vs reacts on subs and the frequency we change on the hour (and it does make sense on the Armstrong changes for example as he doesn’t as yet from his time across us and QPR seem to have 90 on the tank) is certainly notable.

So, I’d probably go with a combination of Twine not playing great, a pre planned “stage” of change for someone meaning he was the one that was (correctly if you’re making the change) hooked and then Mehmeti being a few notches below the starters when he came on as the overall piece here. Either way, I’d think it could be agreed that the sub, even though Twine was below par, made us worse and we probably exaggerated that by also withdrawing Bird and lost a lot of creativity towards the end.

13 hours ago, luke_bristol said:

One of their subs scored, and another one provided the assist! If only ours did the same 😄

I thought KP was decent; amazing what happens if you make an effort, there was always a player in there. He must have megged one of our players three or four times.

He is not appreciated by Coventry fans judging by their comments.