IGNORED

U21'S @ home to Crewe 2pm Kick Off.

2 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Not a day off just really poor updates re. The Under 21s on the official site.

This has been mentioned on previous occasions but doesn’t seem to change 

Academy has its own twitter.  Not that I agree with that though.

The lack of info for the U21's annoys me more than it should.
They love to bask in the glow of the next one off the conveyor belt and associated Press coverage, yet don't think it worthy of keeping the supporters informed.  I had to Google the Academy manager , we never get interviews or Press apart from Twitter game feed.
It would be nice, as fans do take an interest , to get info or a few lines on the players playing . Benarous missing ? we have to guess , Ap Sion playing regularly but how's he doing ? It is very poor coverage.

• Like 10

51 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I’m not on twitter I’m afraid.

to make it as accessible as possible for the whole fan base it really should have more effort put into it on the official site.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

42 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

The lack of info for the U21's annoys me more than it should.
They love to bask in the glow of the next one off the conveyor belt and associated Press coverage, yet don't think it worthy of keeping the supporters informed.  I had to Google the Academy manager , we never get interviews or Press apart from Twitter game feed.
It would be nice, as fans do take an interest , to get info or a few lines on the players playing . Benarous missing ? we have to guess , Ap Sion playing regularly but how's he doing ? It is very poor coverage.

Totally agree with you both.

• Like 3

Just now, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I know nothing about Billy Phillips other than that he seeks to be on the scoresheet every week. What's he like as a player? 

Busy AM/10.  Looks like he’s been shaving since he was 8.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, P'head Red said:

I'm afraid that might be the end of his career if the rumours are true, he had so much potential when he first came through such a shame.

Really sad, one of fittest players at club. No luck.

Maybe @JerrySLO can raise this (again). Clear, concise, timely info on our U21’s. Surely not too much to ask. 
Also, the Supporters Club & Trust should be better at promoting these games across their available platforms. 

Edited by CTRed
  • Like 1

• Admin
28 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Is Rob A still on or did he get an hour?

The only sub our (academy's) twitter posted about was a half-time sub that wasn't Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CTRed said:

The Supporters Club & Trust should be better at promoting these games across their available platforms. 

I believe there was a retweet (if it's still called that) & a post on the Facebook page earlier today.

Unfortunately, the surprise announcement caught everyone off guard as well

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Coverage of 21s/18s is really poor as just found out looking at a WSM tweet that Brandon Bak played for them today.

Find out myself the hard way too, when including it in OSIB loanee report. Club still haven’t actually said it’s happened!

• Like 2

Said before the media staff couldn't care less about the academy, Barton to his credit was always interested in new ideas of how to highlight the academy but he wouldn't have been doing the day to day stuff anyway, so when it comes to those staff members they aren't interested and it will usually be left to academy staff members with other jobs to do things academy related with social media etc, probably hence why no graphic for the game today for example. 

• Admin
4 hours ago, CTRed said:

@JerrySLO

Also, the Supporters Club & Trust should be better at promoting these games across their available platforms. 

How is it anything to do with the SC&T to promote games? 

That's nothing to do with them

3 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Unfortunately, the surprise announcement caught everyone off guard as well

What was the surprise announcement? 

16 minutes ago, phantom said:

How is it anything to do with the SC&T to promote games? 

That's nothing to do with them

What was the surprise announcement? 

Pretty sure the SC&T is there to represent fans and help inform fans. So they should be addressing it with the club, something I have brought up previously with them and if knowledge is out there of a game then it should be posted on their channels also. They are very good at doing it for women’s games. 

Of course, in the first instance it is down to the club to be fit for purpose in communication. 

Edited by CTRed

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Yes. Rob played the 90, just had it confirmed, :)

He certainly didn't. Played 45. Didn't look comfortable to me. Very tentative. Also took a whack from one of the Crewe kids which he felt. Walked off slowly and on his own at HT. IMO he's a long way off yet. 

Edited by OldlandReddies
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

He certainly didn't. Played 45. Didn't look comfortable to me. Very tentative. Also took a whack from one of the Crewe kids which he felt. Walked off slowly and on his own at HT. IMO he's a long way off yet. 

Ah. I took, "I got through it" as meaning he played the whole game. There was mention of someone trying to crock him too.

Apologies for misleading everyone.

Edited by Port Said Red

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

Ah. I took, "I got through it" as meaning he played the whole game. There was mention of someone trying to crock him too.

Maybe just playing the first half was always the plan but to me he didn't look fit . Well, certainly not fit enough to go at it with the first team. 

Just now, OldlandReddies said:

Maybe just playing the first half was always the plan but to me he didn't look fit . Well, certainly not fit enough to go at it with the first team. 

He has been fit and training for two weeks, just no spaces on the bench and until Rob D going down, no rush. I think the concern was the young lad he was marking being "over enthusiastic" and not wanting to put him in his place. :)

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

Said before the media staff couldn't care less about the academy, Barton to his credit was always interested in new ideas of how to highlight the academy but he wouldn't have been doing the day to day stuff anyway, so when it comes to those staff members they aren't interested and it will usually be left to academy staff members with other jobs to do things academy related with social media etc, probably hence why no graphic for the game today for example. 

Not so sure about that…. Barton had absolutely no idea what to answer, when asked at fans forum why the club didn’t have the u21s fixture list on the website. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Barton was in charge of those staff members and the day to day activity. He would have been telling them what to do and what to prioritise 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

Decent performance today. A few stood out. Notably Taylor-Clark. Him and the Left back for Crewe, Smith, were the best players on show for me. 

Scouts there maybe? 

14 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

Did ok. Drummond made the most of his 15 minutes up top. Caused plenty of problems. Big strong lad. 

Silly me ......Drummond came on for Crewe up top. Luke Skinner was the one that came on for us and put himself about with great effect. 

• Admin
18 hours ago, CTRed said:

Pretty sure the SC&T is there to represent fans and help inform fans. So they should be addressing it with the club, something I have brought up previously with them and if knowledge is out there of a game then it should be posted on their channels also. They are very good at doing it for women’s games. 

Of course, in the first instance it is down to the club to be fit for purpose in communication. 

We're there to represent fans, but not there to announce when fixtures are etc, @shahanshahan can only re-share what the club initially release

Out of interest @CTRed who on the SC&T board did you raise it with?

For info our sub committee are meeting with the club next Tuesday, there are other items on the agenda, but as long as time permits I will ensure this gets raised, as pointed out above it was highlighted and acknowledged as being a problem at the fans forum, but clearly is no better

• Like 1

9 hours ago, phantom said:

We're there to represent fans, but not there to announce when fixtures are etc, @shahanshahan can only re-share what the club initially release

For info our sub committee are meeting with the club next Tuesday, there are other items on the agenda, but as long as time permits I will ensure this gets raised, as pointed out above it was highlighted and acknowledged as being a problem at the fans forum, but clearly is no better

Thanks @phantom It was something I raised on a zoom call (one of the SC&T meetings) @JerrySLO was on the call and agreed it should be improved and was going to follow up. It was, briefly improved near the end of last season but clearly there is a failure again this season. 

I think it should be revisited, as you say, and the club should be held accountable. We are asked, as fans, to buy in to the philosophy of the club, which is heavily focused on the Academy but the communication, detail, engagement and general information is not consistent with facilitating the “buy in” from the fans. 

Edited by CTRed
  • Like 3

On 26/08/2024 at 21:23, OldlandReddies said:

And people wonder why we're trying to sign another CB!

There had to be a logical reason and this + "does anyone fancy taking Naismith off us", has to be that reason. Surely.

And that was the case even before Dickie got injured.   

• Like 1

On 26/08/2024 at 21:23, OldlandReddies said:

Jamie Knight-Lebel does have a nasty side then! 👀

10 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

And people wonder why we're trying to sign another CB!

There had to be a logical reason and this + "does anyone fancy taking Naismith off us", has to be that reason. Surely.

And that was the case even before Dickie got injured.   

I don’t think Naismith will be leaving.

17 hours ago, phantom said:

Is there a thread for this that we can raise questions on?

Just now, Merrick's Marvels said:

No indeed, just suggesting we might be happy if he did and it facilitated an in-coming (as with Cornick also). Or have you heard differently?

I think it’s becoming clear over the past week that Manning wants another CB (and no outgoing CB), so I think he’ll want Naismith to stay, because he’s gonna need him Saturday at least.  I hear we are closing in on that CB.

• Like 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

Is there a thread for this that we can raise questions on?

No, to be honest if I see an issue on a thread, like above I would highlight and issue so I know who to respond to.

I would either raise it at the monthly SC&T meeting, or if applicable that it is something that needs raising higher up in the club I take to the other meeting I attend with the club, otherwise the best thing would be to raise with Jerry in the SLO section

An example of things I currently have to raise is the problems with RTV audio feeds for those outside the UK - though I believe this to be resolved, the issue with the new floodlights at the front of the Dolman Stand, and the problem with the U21s

53 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think it’s becoming clear over the past week that Manning wants another CB (and no outgoing CB), so I think he’ll want Naismith to stay, because he’s gonna need him Saturday at least.  I hear we are closing in on that CB.

Is it the one from Leicester?

50 minutes ago, phantom said:

No, to be honest if I see an issue on a thread, like above I would highlight and issue so I know who to respond to.

I would either raise it at the monthly SC&T meeting, or if applicable that it is something that needs raising higher up in the club I take to the other meeting I attend with the club, otherwise the best thing would be to raise with Jerry in the SLO section

An example of things I currently have to raise is the problems with RTV audio feeds for those outside the UK - though I believe this to be resolved, the issue with the new floodlights at the front of the Dolman Stand, and the problem with the U21s

To be fair it's one I raised long ago but it never went anywhere.  It's to do with commentary provision for blind supporters.  Took my VI Uncle to Wembley in 2015 and they had headsets and an extremely descriptive commentary to help him along.  He went to his first match at the Gate last week since losing most of his sight in 2013 and the club offer nothing.  He ended up hooking up to RTV on his iPad so he could follow the action 30 seconds behind whilst still being able to experience the atmosphere.  Happy to raise this again with Jerry but didn't know if it sounded more like something the SC&T would champion to the club instead.

• Admin
3 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

To be fair it's one I raised long ago but it never went anywhere.  It's to do with commentary provision for blind supporters.  Took my VI Uncle to Wembley in 2015 and they had headsets and an extremely descriptive commentary to help him along.  He went to his first match at the Gate last week since losing most of his sight in 2013 and the club offer nothing.  He ended up hooking up to RTV on his iPad so he could follow the action 30 seconds behind whilst still being able to experience the atmosphere.  Happy to raise this again with Jerry but didn't know if it sounded more like something the SC&T would champion to the club instead.

That is a really interesting point you have raised @Steve Watts, in the back of my mind did we not offer some audio commentary for visually impaired supporters many years ago- I'd be talking about 20 years or so ago, I'm sure there used to be sockets for headphones in the upper Williams Stand

Jerry is also at both meetings that I mentioned above, so happy for either of us to raise it. We are discussing the fan experience in the meeting next Tuesday so could be the ideal time to mention it. 

I honestly don't know what it would entail to get this set up, but I am more than happy to raise it and ask the question 

10 minutes ago, phantom said:

That is a really interesting point you have raised @Steve Watts, in the back of my mind did we not offer some audio commentary for visually impaired supporters many years ago- I'd be talking about 20 years or so ago, I'm sure there used to be sockets for headphones in the upper Williams Stand

Jerry is also at both meetings that I mentioned above, so happy for either of us to raise it. We are discussing the fan experience in the meeting next Tuesday so could be the ideal time to mention it. 

I honestly don't know what it would entail to get this set up, but I am more than happy to raise it and ask the question 

Fantastic, thanks Phants.  If you could raise it at the meeting please that'd be great.  I guess the ideal place for the club itself to get started would be getting in touch with the FA/Wembley to see how they have implemented it.  Not sure if it's something we once had.  Cheers mate.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

Every game I take along a little FM radio and listen to the RB commentary as they pretty much broadcast every home game on FM.  

Maybe this is a work around you could do until the club implement their own dedicated commentary? 

• Like 2

I did this for five or six seasons at Yeovil Town, commentating for the visually impaired supporters there.

From memory, there was a little electronic box that would be set up where the commentators sat, about A4 size. There were two of us that shared the commentary so two microphones plugged in; the supporters would collect a headset from the club pre-match and return them to nearest steward at the end of the match. It's not a complicated system and I'd think it could be set up at minimal cost - won't ever make a profit but some things don't have to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Admin
On 28/08/2024 at 11:44, Steve Watts said:

Just to update @Steve Watts, I raised this during a meeting with the club earlier today, Jerry will be liaising with Lisa Knights to look into providing a solution, the suggestion is that the radio  Bristol broadcast is made available in the ground

• Like 3

Thanks Phants - just as a follow up I understand the RB feed is slightly behind and so just ends up with a not quite as bad version of RTV.  From the clubs point of view the suggestion is not so much the club making provision for the blind as it is a suggestion to the fan to bring a radio or maybe borrow one!  Hopefully Lisa will come up with something better than Jer!  Really appreciate it being raised though mate.

• Like 1