IGNORED

Mark Sykes

Robbored

Just watched his presser/interview on YouTube  - what an likeable and interesting guy. Had a very well balanced view of life as at City and answered the questions in a comprehensive fashion particularly when asked about Hirawaka.

Well worth watching if you haven’t seen it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Silvio Dante said:

I believe @Norn Iron of this forum supports City, and indeed is Irish.

That alone leads me to confirm

that Mark Sykes, in spite of any recorded evidence, has always been a City fan.

I think that’s how it works.

My wife is from this island Silvio but I am from Ingurrlund. 

There are a few City fans over here mainly having moved to their spouse's place of birth.

However, when the U20s played over here 7 or 8 years ago, I met a lad in his 20s who was born over here and a City fan. So much so that he had a season ticket and would fly over for all the weekend matches and stay with relatives.

He also had a Union Jack that was taken down in the concourse because, iirc, they thought it was sectarian. The stewards concerned knew hardly anything about the subject and wrongly assumed.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Norn Iron said:

I met a lad in his 20s who was born over here and a City fan. So much so that he had a season ticket and would fly over for all the weekend matches and stay with relatives.

He also had a Union Jack that was taken down in the concourse because, iirc, they thought it was sectarian. The stewards concerned knew hardly anything about the subject and wrongly assumed.

Thats also enough evidence for both me and Robbo. Everyone born there must be a city fan.

(Realise I’ve parachuted you in here - read the thread on the transfer forum for context)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Thats also enough evidence for both me and Robbo. Everyone born there must be a city fan.

(Realise I’ve parachuted you in here - read the thread on the transfer forum for context)

Careful mate, you`re dangerously straying into `everyone`s favourite second club` territory there and we all know where that leads.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

That alone leads me to confirm that Mark Sykes, in spite of any recorded evidence, has always been a City fan.

It is indeed Silvio . Anything else is just wild speculation . 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Just watched his presser/interview on YouTube  - what an likeable and interesting guy. Had a very well balanced view of life as at City and answered the questions in a comprehensive fashion particularly when asked about Hirawaka.

Well worth watching if you haven’t seen it.

Listening to it, you got to feel for Yu.

Sounds like his English understanding isn't great. Sat in the treatment room twiddling his thumbs. 

Noted that they aren't allowed phones in the treatment room. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, spudski said:

Listening to it, you got to feel for Yu.

Sounds like his English understanding isn't great. Sat in the treatment room twiddling his thumbs. 

Noted that they aren't allowed phones in the treatment room. 

Yep and his comments about Yu being “on the other side of the world”  with  little or no English and not knowing anyone struck with his own experience of moving to the UK and is doing his best to reach out.

That not to say that others didn’t do the same, especially the staff in the treatment room.

He came mover as real decent guy - that’s nothing something that can be said about lots of professional footballers.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

That alone leads me to confirm that Mark Sykes, in spite of any recorded evidence, has always been a City fan.

Indeed. As a paddy (born) myself, I can confirm that every Irish person to ever set foot in our fair City, is clearly a red. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What a great interview, really enjoyed watching that one.

I do like that most of our players seem to be intelligent in answering Qs, and avoid clichés.  Dickie and Sykes especially of the newer players.

• Flames 1

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

Yep and his comments about Yu being “on the other side of the world”  with  little or no English and not knowing anyone struck with his own experience of moving to the UK and is doing his best to reach out.

That not to say that others didn’t do the same, especially the staff in the treatment room.

He came mover as real decent guy - that’s nothing something that can be said about lots of professional footballers.

Move to the UK? He’s from Northern Ireland 🤣

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Move to the UK? He’s from Northern Ireland 🤣

Similarities Marcus - leaving home and family, new country, not knowing anyone and in Hirakawa’s case not understanding the language. It must be a lonely and isolating experience and Sykes has empathy for his situation.

Obviously Sykes didn’t have the huge disadvantage of not speaking the lingo and if only a 45 min flight back to N.Ireland - more like a 18hr flight for Hirakawa……it must really tough for Hirakawa.

• Hmmm 1

12 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Plenty of second generation Irish follow City, nearly all were City fans in my South Bristol Catholic school when growing up (and Shamrock Rovers)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

What a great interview, really enjoyed watching that one.

I do like that most of our players seem to be intelligent in answering Qs, and avoid clichés.  Dickie and Sykes especially of the newer players.

For all its problems Northern Ireland has an excellent education system, regularly performing the best out of the 4 nations, everyone I have come across from there is fundamentally pretty smart.

Interesting that he starts the interview in a spiky mood mentioning criticism, not sure if he means on here (he’d be mad to read it) or from journalists, but I was surprised he read it.

Like him a lot, as a player, as a bloke, one of our best free transfers in a very long time.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

My wife is from this island Silvio but I am from Ingurrlund. 

There are a few City fans over here mainly having moved to their spouse's place of birth.

However, when the U20s played over here 7 or 8 years ago, I met a lad in his 20s who was born over here and a City fan. So much so that he had a season ticket and would fly over for all the weekend matches and stay with relatives.

Theres a well know City lad now in the navy very much born and bred in NI.