IGNORED

League cup

46 minutes ago, Club and Country said:

Looked for a thread apologies if missed it and feel free to merge 

so prem clubs in Europe can't be drawn against each other in round 3 due to potential fixture clashes 

it's a joke what's happening with that alongside scrapping replays 

What they could have easily done with the fa cup was to optionally dispense with replays for any side still in Europe, and in that case, give their opponent the match in the event of a draw.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Club and Country said:

Looked for a thread apologies if missed it and feel free to merge 

so prem clubs in Europe can't be drawn against each other in round 3 due to potential fixture clashes 

it's a joke what's happening with that alongside scrapping replays 

Don't they have as many fixtures in the latter stages plus Euro competitions? 

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Could it have been an opportunity for us to have a small run?

Coventry drew Oxford at Home which was winnable.. few Championship clubs including one or two big hitters falling early.

you do realise …. Just because cov drew Oxford doesn’t mean we would’ve 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 2

1 minute ago, Charlie0016 said:

you do realise …. Just because cov drew Oxford doesn’t mean we would’ve 😂😂😂

Could have bowed out with a PL tie, could've drawn a Lower League side. Scope for a small run anyway had we taken it more seriously but if LM is prioritising the League let's hope he produces there.

• Hmmm 2

12 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Cardiff had an attendance of 7k with 4k of them being Southampton fans. Ouch. 

No chance there were 4000 Southampton fans there, 2000 max.

Cardiff never have decent numbers for cup games compared to other clubs

52 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Coventry drew Oxford at Home which was winnable.. few Championship clubs including one or two big hitters falling early.

And then the home to Spurs tie.

That would if been tasty at the gate 😀 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, East Londoner said:

This would be why..

Trust us to get Man C away !

Heavy defeat coming which will damage confidence and morale .

Maybe they need to start the competition earlier if fixture congestion is going to be a problem?

9 hours ago, East Londoner said:

This would be why..

I really wouldn't mind having the round set up , not if the Round 2 qualifiers all got the home tie. 
They may think this is more random and they may have drawn numbers out to see how many UCL/UEL teams would be home, but make them play away. It would make the Round much more interesting, they already have so many things in their favour. Bloody hell, they'll be getting byes into the Semis next.

37 minutes ago, One man went.... said:

Thanks for that, I didn't know it was a pre arranged carve up. Nice of them to give the big prem teams a helping hand to progress. 

They’d probably rather play each other and get knocked out tbh .

Trouble is everyone plays weaken sides so the top ones end up going through.

I think basically the PL and Championship sides wouldn’t care if it was scrapped.

Edited by Markthehorn

• Admin
59 minutes ago, One man went.... said:

Thanks for that, I didn't know it was a pre arranged carve up. Nice of them to give the big prem teams a helping hand to progress. 

There was a draw for those teams, where they picked out either "home" or "away" for where they would fit in

I just can't get my head around why the teams in Europe needed to be kept apart due to having 2 extra games to play - for those not aware that is why Chelsea were not in this section as they only play 6 games not 8 like the others

It doesn't make much sense to me as they still have to play the fixture. Why couldn't that be against another club in the same situation as them?

14 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Balls are numbered in alphabetical order. (excluding fixtures yet to play) If we had beaten Coventry we would have had Birmingham's number with them shifting one along etc...

We would have had Fulham at home if we had won in R1.

14 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Definitely not. Don't want to be messing ourselves up in that cup and sacrificing our chances of a decent league campaign. Same goes for FA Cup. 

2 hours ago, phantom said:

There was a draw for those teams, where they picked out either "home" or "away" for where they would fit in

I just can't get my head around why the teams in Europe needed to be kept apart due to having 2 extra games to play - for those not aware that is why Chelsea were not in this section as they only play 6 games not 8 like the others

I didn’t have an issue with the ties drawn out per se as they might have happened anyway but do think it should have been a free for all not advantages given to teams in Europe .

They get enough as it is and play reserves anyway!

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

I didn’t have an issue with the ties drawn out per se as they might have happened anyway but do think it should have been a free for all not advantages given to teams in Europe .

They get enough as it is and play reserves anyway!

Agreed.

5 hours ago, phantom said:

Yes Phants it's a farce because they will all play weakened sides anyway. So a bit of game time for their reserves will not hinder the top teams much. 

• Like 1

Sounds like a right old mess

From the BBC  

“Yesterday, the EFL confirmed third-round fixture dates but Manchester City's home game with Watford was listed as "TBC".

This is why. City play Arsenal in a Sky televised game on Sunday, 22 September. The following Saturday they go to Newcastle for a TNT televised game.

That means the City-Watford game needs to be played on Wednesday, 25 September. Except that is the same day as Manchester United start their Europa League campaign against Dutch side FC Twente.”

Should have switched the tie .

They probably want us to play on the Thursday but we have refused