IGNORED

Focus on…Joe Royle

41 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

The greatest debut 

I remember the East End singing "we all agree, Royle is better than Channon" as Channon had taken big Joe's place at Man City. 

As an extra titbit ; Channon was born in Orcheston, Wiltshire and apparently made his debut for Southampton as a 17-year-old in 1966, scoring in a match against ........ drum roll .......  Bristol City

I was there too, home to Middlesborough and it was on MotD in the days when there were only two games shown. It just so happened that Joe had signed for us and he wore the Number 9 shirt. What followed has passed into lore: he walloped three past them in the first half and had a standing ovation fromt the crowd at the interval. He could only manage one more in the second half, but still had another ovation.

I happen to think that this was perhaps a most unfortunate debut, as he didn't really grab so many after that, but he is certainly remembered as one of the best signings we ever brought to the club.

• Like 6
  • Robin 1

Interesting how he says he'd like to be very rich if he wasn't a footballer. How times have changed! 

They must've Still been comparatively well off then though perhaps not very rich!

I can't imagine many of our current squad becoming a postman like Tom Ritchie or Andy Lewellyn. Wasn't Glynn Riley a carpet or curtain salesman!? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Just seen this this on the Twitter. Anyone think he fancied Susan George a bit?

IMG_3954.jpeg

To be perfectly honest, who didn’t?

I certainly did, along with Sandie Shaw and Elizabeth Montgomery - I mean that I also fancied them, rather than that they fancied SG.

• Like 2

His car - a Ford Cortina GL. That’s the equivalent of a modern day Ford Focus. There’s nothing wrong with a Focus but I can’t imagine an England international forward playing in the Premier League driving one. Salaries have changed a bit since Joe’s playing days. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

I remember the East End singing "we all agree, Royle is better than Channon" as Channon had taken big Joe's place at Man City. 

As an extra titbit ; Channon was born in Orcheston, Wiltshire and apparently made his debut for Southampton as a 17-year-old in 1966, scoring in a match against ........ drum roll .......  Bristol City

Yes, in about the eighth minute of injury time (when that was unheard of back then ) His equaliser virtually cost us promotion in 66 , they went up instead !

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

I was there too, home to Middlesborough and it was on MotD in the days when there were only two games shown. It just so happened that Joe had signed for us and he wore the Number 9 shirt. What followed has passed into lore: he walloped three past them in the first half and had a standing ovation fromt the crowd at the interval. He could only manage one more in the second half, but still had another ovation.

I happen to think that this was perhaps a most unfortunate debut, as he didn't really grab so many after that, but he is certainly remembered as one of the best signings we ever brought to the club.

Hat trick against Cov  .

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I know Orcheston quite well as my son went to school in the next village. Orcheston is a tiny place and not your obvious spot for the place of birth for an international footballer. Race horse trainer on the other hand makes perfect sense.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly (and I haven’t googled anything) 

Joe played approximately 100 games and scored 20 goals. So if my tired old brain is not wrong one fifth of his entire goal output was that game. 

Please correct me if I’m wrong!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Erithacus said:

I was also there but I am pretty sure it wasn't on MotD. I was in the East End and after the first goal we were singing 'Nice one Joey, nice one son. Nice one Joey, let's have another one.' And he duly obliged again and again and again

11 minutes ago, westonred said:

On Joe Royles 4 goal debut in 77 which other City legend didn't have such a good day ?

Terry Cooper who was playing for Middlesbrough 

Just checked and I was right. Match of the day featured Bolton v Spurs and Leicester v Liverpool on that day. Definitely not on MotD. 

Edited by handsofclay

1 minute ago, handsofclay said:

I was also there but I am pretty sure it wasn't on MotD. I was in the East End and after the first goal we were singing 'Nice one Joey, nice one son. Nice one Joey, let's have another one.' And he duly obliged again and again and again

Terry Cooper who was playing for Middlesbrough 

Correct Sir i remember him having a nightmare

• Like 1

I would have definitely bought that copy of Shoot as I took it every week in those days. Very different days when a Bristol City mention in national media of any kind was exciting.

Good to see him picking someone different like Susan George as from memory most weeks they’d pick Muhammad Ali.

He lived near us in Congresbury. His son (nice lad) joined the cubs ( young scouts- not a lot going on in N Somerset), where I knew him. One Remembrance Day parade, Joe turns up to watch wearing a huge, real mink coat, a la Joan Collins. The Mendips had not seen its like, before or since. Another gentleman- always gave you the time of day, whoever you were .

• Haha 1

On 29/08/2024 at 23:16, Erithacus said:

always thought that debut was a midweek match? My 60 odd year old memory isnt what it was