IGNORED

So, what’s the new expectation?

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Pre season, when people gave predictions they typically ranged from 8th-10th to lower mid table. Since that point, we have added in McNally, Earthy, Twine and McGuane, losing TGH. This is a touch different from the limited business we were expecting from early summer announcements.

So, has the dial moved? I think we can safely say the coach has now been backed more than anyone else since LJ, and we were starting from a solid mid table base. 

In short, what do people now feel are realistic expectations based on the revised backing that has been given. This is different from what you think may happen, as clearly people may think Liam will over or under achieve based on what he has. But, in the context of the takeover position, being given the resources the coach wants and being financially backed - what now is minimum expectation, and what represents real success or failure?

going up going up 

9 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I’m sure if Jon and BT were answering this question they’d be saying top 6.

I’m hoping for the same but expecting a little lower

At Senior Reds, @Galley is our king may have said It iirc, Tinnion said Top 10 and improvement.

That was I think prior to the last fortnight though, unsure how that has moved the dial but some expectation has surely increased.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

Pre season, when people gave predictions they typically ranged from 8th-10th to lower mid table. Since that point, we have added in McNally, Earthy, Twine and McGuane, losing TGH. This is a touch different from the limited business we were expecting from early summer announcements.

So, has the dial moved? I think we can safely say the coach has now been backed more than anyone else since LJ, and we were starting from a solid mid table base. 

In short, what do people now feel are realistic expectations based on the revised backing that has been given. This is different from what you think may happen, as clearly people may think Liam will over or under achieve based on what he has. But, in the context of the takeover position, being given the resources the coach wants and being financially backed - what now is minimum expectation, and what represents real success or failure?

Well the owners thought we should have been troubling the top 6 with the squad last season, around Nov time, and that was with with multiple academy players on the bench. So anything less than top 6 now would be deemed a failure, at least by them, having given Manning all the players he wants and abandoned the academy pathway in search of short-term gain. It is Prem they want, well need, so Steve can sell and recover his £200M . So anything less than the top 6 , in what some on here are saying is a weak league this year, is a failure. 

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 2

52 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Is "a fair chunk" enough to put us top 6 for wage bill? I suspect not quite. Maybe close...maybe 7th - 10th - I am sure Swiss Ramble, Maguire et al will do some post-mortem stuff on the estimated picture post transfer window. I've said on other threads that I am much happier having a broader pool of talent rather than a few spikes of ability.

As I say, I'm glad we have gone for it a bit, at least on paper. And I agree there's no excuses for not working to reflect that attitude on the pitch. There's no excuses for changing something if it doesn't work. There's no excuse for not owning a mistake or for failing to recognise something that is blatant and clear. But we know the fine margins that can ultimately decide where the points go. Get on with it yes, and yes show me the underlying numbers that demonstrate the foundation for success, but if we repeatedly get unlucky then we need to be wise enough to recognise that as well. That's not going to be an excuse, but it could be a reason.

We are absolutely set up for success this season. But I don't accept that being so means we must expect or demand it.

Of course you aren't, you're a sensible, rational person who understands that success in football is more than just the Pts column of a table that doesn't even determine anything until the whistle goes at the end of the 46th game. You know what you're looking for "beneath" the results, I know what I am looking for. I know what will indicate that we might be going to have a good season. 

Oh don't tease. You were on 13th before iirc...what are you saying now? 12th? 10th? 2nd?

Taking each para in turn:

para1: although the expectation from our hierarchy is that we are set-up to over-achieve our “budget” because of factors like our head-coach, his training methods, our recruitment, medical, etc, as well as the facilities.  I expect (as you state) that we have moved the budget from middling to top-10 now with this summer’s activity.

para2: totally, as I often say - “shit happens” sometimes.

para3: but we can measure against that expectation (if we are sensible about it).

para4: ooooh, careful! 😉  My expectation was a top-10, in the playoff mix deep into the season.  My prediction was 14th / 15th, ie under-performing. (Based on I didn’t think we’d get the balance right of improving attack whilst maintaining defence).  That was before Earthy (dial didn’t really move), Twine and McNally.  So I do expect a bit more than 4 weeks ago.  And my prediction of that has gone up too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

At Senior Reds, @Galley is our king may have said It iirc, Tinnion said Top 10 and improvement.

That was I think prior to the last fortnight though, unsure how that has moved the dial but some expectation has surely increased.

He said we should be challenging for promotion when Nige left, so surely now he should have us challenging for automatic promotion!

4 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

He said we should be challenging for promotion when Nige left, so surely now he should have us challenging for automatic promotion!

Yeah based on that sure and last years top 4 was insanely strong, then bigger spending Birmingham...maybe a little bit weaker this year.

...Yet at Senior Reds he said this.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

It's been a good window & the squad is definitely stronger than recent years. However I think there are a lot or players of a similar level & that level is top 10, not necessarily top 6. I expect us to be "in the mix", but I also expect these teams to be stronger than us;

Burnley

Sheff Utd

Luton

Leeds

Norwich 

Coventry

WBA

Boro

My hope is we keep the season "live" for as long as possible & it's not a dead rubber by the end of Feb.

4 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

It's been a good window & the squad is definitely stronger than recent years. However I think there are a lot or players of a similar level & that level is top 10, not necessarily top 6. I expect us to be "in the mix", but I also expect these teams to be stronger than us;

Burnley

Sheff Utd

Luton

Leeds

Norwich 

Coventry

WBA

Boro

My hope is we keep the season "live" for as long as possible & it's not a dead rubber by the end of Feb.

Norwich, WBA are going through a bit of a state of flux so it's hard to say.

Maja has scored 4 goals in 3 Games and WBA have been very efficient shall we say..how long will that last.

Luton on paper should be strong and yet adjusting to many games as favourites could pose an issue.

• Like 1

After last seasons dull football plus the new ko times plus my age and mobility, I  said this would be my last season come what may. So watch us fly into automatics and leave me with another enigma come May.

• Like 1

Why do we want to accept 8th or 9th, you may as well finish 13th. It doesn’t mean anything. Promotion is what they gave as a reason for moving on Pearson, he’s been backed his summer, his team now so needs to back it up with success which is getting to the play offs. 

Edited by Shauntaylor85

2 hours ago, KegCity said:

It's not that black and white for me, if we're playing good football and considerably closer to the top 6 than last season that's a success.

It doesn't have to be this season or bust for Manning, if we're progressing we can continue to build going into next season.

I’d rather we played absolutely awful football and got top 6, than good football and be a failure again. 

Subject to fitness and playing shape we could field three 6ft 4in centre halves and a 6ft 4in centre forward. We should be able to defend set plays and score an awful lot from them. It could well shape our season because we have a player who can deliver accurate service. Optimistic as ever.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

para1: although the expectation from our hierarchy is that we are set-up to over-achieve our “budget” because of factors like our head-coach, his training methods, our recruitment, medical, etc, as well as the facilities.  I expect (as you state) that we have moved the budget from middling to top-10 now with this summer’s activity.

Is it reasonable to 'expect' overachievement? Isn't that entirely paradoxical? If they really do expect that then I'm not going to align myself to that. If it's actually a case of hoping to overachieve then fine, but don't then admonish someone for failing that.

46 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

para3: but we can measure against that expectation (if we are sensible about it).

We can. If we are sensible we can say "it looked like you had a good chance of achieving X, but you've not done so. Let's look at that." I think that is quite different to saying "You've failed to meet expectations". 

47 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

para4: ooooh, careful! 😉  My expectation was a top-10, in the playoff mix deep into the season.  My prediction was 14th / 15th, ie under-performing. (Based on I didn’t think we’d get the balance right of improving attack whilst maintaining defence).  That was before Earthy (dial didn’t really move), Twine and McNally.  So I do expect a bit more than 4 weeks ago.  And my prediction of that has gone up too.

I will be careful not to muddle hopes, predictions, and expectations. Personally I predict what I expect to happen. But other methods are available and viable. Nice to have you confirm that you think we're going up automatically. 🫢

8 minutes ago, Topper 123 said:

Play offs has to be target -sky bet has us at 4/1 for top 6 it’s not very often bookies are wrong , so pressure is on the team and management to produce COYR 

Well 4/1 isn't bad but..

Screenshot_20240830-150515_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e5d2856005f512e467b4113c1e28ccea.jpg

That equates to a 12rh place finish or 10th given that some have the same odds.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

44 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

My expectation has gone from 10th-14th up to 8th-10th. The team has been strengthened but top 6 IMO will be out of reach for a coach who struggles with in-game management. 

This is exactly my thinking. I expect top half but I’m reserved on LM in game thinking re changing the game as opposed to pre-programmed substitutions to push us towards top 6.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Is it reasonable to 'expect' overachievement? Isn't that entirely paradoxical? If they really do expect that then I'm not going to align myself to that. If it's actually a case of hoping to overachieve then fine, but don't then admonish someone for failing that.

We can. If we are sensible we can say "it looked like you had a good chance of achieving X, but you've not done so. Let's look at that." I think that is quite different to saying "You've failed to meet expectations". 

I will be careful not to muddle hopes, predictions, and expectations. Personally I predict what I expect to happen. But other methods are available and viable. Nice to have you confirm that you think we're going up automatically. 🫢

Para1:

yeah, agree, what they’re really saying is that there are other things that allow them to achieve more than looking purely at where they rank budget-wise.  Fair?

para2:

agree

para3:

I think @mozo has hijacked your device 😉😉😉

I have such low expectations 15-18 is where I am at.

Why?

Well, BCFC has underachieved, since well, forever actually. 

This, coupled with 2 inexperienced strikers, a young midfield and a defence that seems to be a bit hit and miss.

We are too inconsistent, same for years. At the end of the day, if you’re 2-0 up in a game it should be dead and buried. You shouldn’t need to chuck the kitchen sink at it for the last 15 minutes to scramble a 4-3 win.

I just can’t see how the stars align for a top half finish, over a 46 game season. Play offs is a pipe dream in my opinion. My money is on next season being a big surprise.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

Top ten consistently all season, as with the improved quality of performance, and in with a real shout of the play-offs by the last game. Will be tough because I think we’ll see that some teams might surprise us with their own improvements, but looking at the first few games, some of our football has been very good. 🤞 

13 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

This is exactly my thinking. I expect top half but I’m reserved on LM in game thinking re changing the game as opposed to pre-programmed substitutions to push us towards top 6.

The paradox there for me is what you’re saying is the coach has been provided the tools to get top six, but you believe the coaches “weakness” means he doesn’t get the best out of those tools (and he may or may not). So your expectations are actually a top six push, but you’re indicating the coach may not be able to achieve that

So, broader question is should the expectation not be the same whomever is the coach? 

• Like 1

Just now, Silvio Dante said:

The paradox there for me is what you’re saying is the coach has been provided the tools to get top six, but you believe the coaches “weakness” means he doesn’t get the best out of those tools (and he may or may not). So your expectations are actually a top six push, but you’re indicating the coach may not be able to achieve that

So, broader question is should the expectation not be the same whomever is the coach? 

Think that’s why I use expectation and then my prediction. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Para1:

yeah, agree, what they’re really saying is that there are other things that allow them to achieve more than looking purely at where they rank budget-wise.  Fair?

para2:

agree

para3:

I think @mozo has hijacked your device 😉😉😉

You now what, I lied when i said in my first post that I hadn't changed at all.

I do still think we are a 7-10th team that might get top 6 with a fair wind.

But, I'm more confident that we will achieve that than I was a month ago. So I guess my prediction is more certain, but my expectations are the same.

Just now, Davefevs said:

Think that’s why I use expectation and then my prediction. 

Indeed. Going back to my “real world” example if you appoint someone to a role there are expectations and those don’t change per individual as long as they have the same resources. If the individual has weaknesses then you may think they don’t meet the expectations (and conversely they may overperform) but I do struggle with the argument that individual A has been given all the tools required but expectations could be lowered because of perceived weakness in the individual.

In the words of Roy Keane - It’s literally their job.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, petehinton said:

Need to be within touching distance of the top 6 throughout the season. 

This.

And I think that’s a fair expectation of what we’ve seen this summer. In the past usually around March time, we’re thinking of the season ending. Hopefully this one will be an exciting one!

Over to LM and Co to make it happen.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

This.

And I think that’s a fair expectation of what we’ve seen this summer. In the past usually around March time, we’re thinking of the season ending. Hopefully this one will be an exciting one!

Over to LM and Co to make it happen.

That is good perspective.

I’m still bitter about there being no money for the most proven manager we’ve ever had. Lansdown deserves 13th. 

We had a ‘top 6’ squad under Nige. We’ve now spanked about £20m. Surely they must now expect autos. But we all know that isn’t the way it works. 

Edited by Fordy62
  • Like 4
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 2

I think expectation should be raised slightly, but I think putting a position on it is a flawed way to determine.

My new expectation now is for us to have a chance at playoffs, whereas before I hoped we'd be able to be outsiders with some luck.

How far we are from that points wise is more relevant than league positions though

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Not at all. As far as having the tools we could use the analogy that we now have a fully equipped good quality tool kit whereas Nige had to make do with what was left in the tool cupboard by previous  occupants. However give that tool kit to an experienced tradesman rather than a newly qualified tradesman who has read all the books and you are likely to get contrasting results both in quality and in the time taken to get the job done.

Football coaches get little time to achieve results  so if you spend top dollar on your tools then why not invest in a coach that has a record of achievement in this division. To not do so is I believe a recipe for failure and a lesson that our owners have continually failed to learn. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Based on the assumption that we’ve identified and signed players to improve us, we’ve not lost anyone of importance (except Conway but replaced well it seems) and we were already a mid table side then the expectation has to be pushing play offs.

This is now Liam’s team and his style of play (and it’s been much better so far this season) and I’d imagine he’s had a good say in these signings.

If we aren’t at least challenging around the top 8 then il be disappointed. Anything lower than 10th would be failure for me given the above.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, KegCity said:

It's not that black and white for me, if we're playing good football and considerably closer to the top 6 than last season that's a success.

It doesn't have to be this season or bust for Manning, if we're progressing we can continue to build going into next season.

Quite agree - certainly not a 'shit or bust' situation..however,,Manning is aware he's been backed & this certainly adds pressure.

A minimum top ten finish with clear progression/identity required.

• Like 1

Do the latest signings actually change much ?

Twine was expected , McNally needed as we were short , McGuane straight swap for TGH , Earthy probably the only "addition" and he's a young kid with bags of potential but unknown as to how he'll go. 

My opinion hasn't changed because of these new signings, but I am a little more optimistic after some good performances. A few more games to gel and we will see if that optimism is warranted .

• Confused 1

My expectation before the summer was top 10, with at least some time post Christmas seriously looking at the top 6.

I think our squad has turned out better than I thought it'd be, the signings by and large match well with our managers desires, and he's been in post long enough to have put his stamp on the team. I think we've got a team who could at least threaten the top 6 on paper, and I expect our manager to have the team playing better than the sum of their parts. That's their job.

I expect us to be walking into Ashton Gate to play Preston on the last day with something to play for. Either in the top 6 and needing to stay there, or within a point or two and able to get there with a win and some good luck. I also expect the manager to be backed in January if him and the team are performing well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Puckle_red said:

Manning has been heavily backed and beyond. I don't think anybody expected us to invest in the squad this heavily.

Anything less than top 6 is failure, surely everybody sees that?

I predicted 19th about a month ago, but the silly money we seem to have splashed changes everything. I don't think we will finish top 6, but I think Manning has to.

“Silly money”!!

I think it’s been very prudent with an eye on VFM as well as sell on potential 

No journeymen but a young & ambitious squad - Yes LM has been backed but in all honesty those of us who have watched some of the dross served up over the last 3-4 seasons it was long overdue to shake up the squad and I’m pleased we have proactively done it this summer 

We have seen a different tempo and approach to how we want to play after 3 games and I applaud LM on what he has done so far. If we can keep sufficient numbers out of the treatment room then this squad of players are more than capable of improving on last seasons finish. We could easily be good enough for a top 2 spot if it all clicks  but if things stack up against us then we could end up no better than last season 

So many variables over a season that determine final positions- it would be nice to be on the right side of an impressive season with something to play for on the last day of the season 

3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Agreed. Johnson deserved more 

That did make me chuckle….i dread to think what Fordy’s reaction was.

1 hour ago, INCRED said:

Silly money”!!

No journeymen but a young & ambitious squad - Yes LM has been backed but in all honesty those of us who have watched some of the dross served up over the last 3-4 seasons it was long overdue to shake up the squad and I’m pleased we have proactively done it this summer 

We have seen a different tempo and approach to how we want to play after 3 games and I applaud LM on what he has done so far. If we can keep sufficient numbers out of the treatment room then this squad of players are more than capable of improving on last seasons finish. We could easily be good enough for a top 2 spot if it all clicks  but if things stack up against us then we could end up no better than last season 

So many variables over a season that determine final positions- it would be nice to be on the right side of an impressive season with something to play for on the last day of the season 

I agree Incred.  I don’t think we’ve spent “oodles”, pretty sensible signings / fees imho.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I’m still bitter about there being no money for the most proven manager we’ve ever had. Lansdown deserves 13th. 

We had a ‘top 6’ squad under Nige. We’ve now spanked about £20m. Surely they must now expect autos. But we all know that isn’t the way it works. 

Can we all make an effort to make today the last time Nigel  Pearson is referenced on this forum surely everything that could be said regarding his tenure has indeed been said just  move on.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Going into the last game with a chance of play offs. 

Going into the last game in second place, 1 point behind the leaders & 4 points clear of 3rd place…. I’ll get my coat.

6 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

It might be that they think Manning has exceptional coaching skills that will lead to us overachieving. Making the team more than the sum of its wages so to speak.

• Like 1

It’s all about perspective. I’m on our annual golf weekend, sat with a Birmingham fan, Plymouth fan, Boro fan and a Leeds fan amongst others. 

Talking through City’s business, they think we’ll be our usual mid table, perhaps pushing to be top 10.

As fans, we only consider ourselves, and don’t really consider the improvements everyone else has made.

• Like 3

Not sure our net spend this window is as big as people making out, we don't know the exact figures of course but we must be getting at least £5m for Conway and TGH (at the end of his loan) with the only significant fee for incoming players being Twine, don't reckon we've spent more than about £2m net. We haven't seen some of the players yet so difficult to predict but top 8 would seem realistic. 

• Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

I don’t think you can put a league position on it because sport is never that simple, it’s more about competitiveness and probably points proximity to the top six.

Ultimately, if you take into account everything the club has both said and done from the moment Nigel Pearson was sacked we have to be challenging for a play-off spot. That probably means heading into the final half a dozen games we’ve got a very realistic chance of being in the top six.

That has to be the absolute minimum, doesn’t it?

Edited by The Journalist
  • Like 4

Yeah we do look more forward going so far this year which is good. But not sure we look quite so secure at the back. Depends how long all the signings take time to blend and has LM got it to coach the young squad to their peak?

I have no doubt the suits will expect top six. How long do they give LM ? I am not sure. But we need a less injury ridden season.

COYR

• Like 1

Better football , which I think we have seen already and would like to see us minimum of 8th flirting with play offs , then if not successful this year deffo play off push next season ( as we all know though it’s not that easy ) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

Not sure our net spend this window is as big as people making out, we don't know the exact figures of course but we must be getting at least £5m for Conway and TGH (at the end of his loan) with the only significant fee for incoming players being Twine, don't reckon we've spent more than about £2m net. We haven't seen some of the players yet so difficult to predict but top 8 would seem realistic. 

£5-7m net IMO once we factor in Loan Fees too.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, redkev said:

Better football , which I think we have seen already and would like to see us minimum of 8th flirting with play offs , then if not successful this year deffo play off push next season ( as we all know though it’s not that easy ) 

How boring! Play offs or bust, or what’s the point? 

8 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Have you allowed for loan fees in as well, eg Stokes?

Don't think there will he anything substantial there. TGH moreso perhaps.

Remember some of these outbound and the Conway fees are up to rather than guaranteed..I'm reasonably comfortable with  £5-7m albeit if a Palmer sell-on Clause arises that could reduce.

12 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

How boring! Play offs or bust, or what’s the point? 

Is that realistic though? Jury out.

• Like 1

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say 2nd, if we are in the top 6 come January expect the nest egg to be cracked open again, SL isn't getting any younger and won't want to make the same mistake he did in 2008 when all we needed was a striker to get us over the line. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Don't think there will he anything substantial there. TGH moreso perhaps.

Remember some of these outbound and the Conway fees are up to rather than guaranteed..I'm reasonably comfortable with  £5-7m albeit if a Palmer sell-on Clause arises that could reduce.

Is that realistic though? Jury out.

I think you’re in the right ball-park too.

Loan fee for Stokes will be nominal, if anything at all.

Loan fee for TGH is probably low in the grand scheme of things because of the option to buy amount.

In terms of the players permanently signed:

• Mayulu
  • Armstrong
  • McNally
  • Twine
  • McGuane

I’ve been fairly conservative on the fees of Mayulu and Armstrong, and am around the £8.5m mark.

That doesn’t include Hirakawa loan fee which I’m led to believe was pretty low cost, nor Earthy, which will be a bit more.  The £8.5m doesn’t include Bird or Stokes either.

In return I think the actual guaranteed transfer fee for Conway is lower too.

Which gets you back to circa £5.0m.

Our wage bill will have shot up also.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, INCRED said:

“Silly money”!!

So you think spending £5/6 million on shrapnel from Burnley is VFM? A club, that is in our league, that wants to get out of it, and has played in the Prem. They decided that both players are not good enough to get them promotion or to play in the higher league. Wells all over again, they must love us, cleaning up their mistakes and helping clear out the trash. 

Top 2? You have been drinking in the bar of Jon L and Tinnion. 

I look forward to seeing all of the sales of players with an upside potential. Out of interest, who are these players? Who is Manning going to turn into a £5m plus player? 

Why would the treatment room be an issue?  That was the focus of a big change was it not  What things will stack up against us? Why are you saying in one sentence we are top 2, then laying the groundwork for the excuses? What is it? 

So we spent more this summer than in the last 3 seasons combined and you say we are not pushing it. What do you think the wage bill will look like? How do you feel about the abolition of the academy pathway? 

How will you feel if we end up in a relegation battle? 

• Like 1