IGNORED

Derby County away match thread

Jerseybean

38 minutes ago, Ego said:

Baffled at the abuse for Lansdown who has given Manning all the support he needed. His only fault is his failure to choose a decent manager which is very tricky for every owner 

But apparently near impossible for him ?

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

3 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

Like a lot of referees in the championship, poor to the point of useless. The standard of officials currently is bloody awful, he's just one of many.

Problem is have we had a poor one who had broadly speaking fallen our way this season.

However I agree in the main.

41 minutes ago, Ego said:

Baffled at the abuse for Lansdown who has given Manning all the support he needed. His only fault is his failure to choose a decent manager which is very tricky for every owner 

Yes and no.

He sacked someone who had us moving in the right direction and has a Track Record, starved him of funds post Scott and out a certain chunk on a relative novice.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

51 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I’ve just done a silly thing;

I went onto Steve Lansdown’s Twitter and saw that he retweeted Kemi Badenoch. 

It now all makes sense what a **** he is. 

You really should consider what job you do, not that the new look cops will ever do a good job. unless we get someone like her to kick ass.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Thought he was weak 

Not the reason we lost, but lots of pretty much nonsensical decisions, and a bit of home bottling. Amazingly Keith Stroud is the best ref we’ve had so far this season, the rest have pretty much been clowns.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

You really should consider what job you do, not that the new look cops will ever do a good job. unless we get someone like her to kick ass.

Or lie, bullshit, bully and never be at fault - that Kemi.

still this is a football forum, there’s a separate one for politics

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I’m not sure I understand your point… I hate the Tories because they’re corrupt and essentially legalised criminals. How the likes of Hancock and Johnson aren’t in prison is beyond me. Given the chance I’d love to build an investigation on them. They’d be sitting ducks. Utter *****, almost all of them. 

Been at Lords all day watching the cricket and just thought I'd check in to see how City had done.

GOTTA LOVE OTIB. ❤️ 

18 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Indeed. Unpopular opinion maybe but i would have offered Andi and James contracts. Much needed experience at this level which is undeniably crucial. Weimann can still do it at this level as his goal proved today..

We did offer James a contract. And he turned it down. 

• Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Been at Lords all day watching the cricket and just thought I'd check in to see how City had done.

GOTTA LOVE OTIB. ❤️ 

You witnessed history! Oh how I wish I’d watched the cricket and not the football. 

• Like 1

We have gone for revolution instead of evolution. Taking leaders like James,King and Weimann and all that experience away so quickly was always likely to bring short term problems. Probably from Mannings perspective they were all Pearsons men and more likely to question tactics and selection. He has now got a few more of his own lieutenants in to help him but the basic problem remains. His inability to work under pressure which was exposed last season and already several times this.

IMO 10 games, 20 games whatever will not make the difference. He has had plenty of time to show that he has adapted to the Championship but is continually getting out-thought by opposition managers. For me it’s just a question of when and not if the hierarchy will realise that. It will probably not be anytime soon because with the squad we now have we should be able to maintain our bang average mid-table position with occasional wins. There are some poor sides in this division now who lack our resources although some of them have managers like Warne who will be really looking forward to coming up against Manning. Admittedly it’s early days yet and as always it hurts after such an abject performance. Who knows we could be riding the wave again in a few weeks. We can but hope. It’s what we do. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Well I bet you the defenders in the teams we’ve played so far this season have felt under more pressure from Armstrong than they have Fally.

We had a good finisher in Conway but we ended up creating nothing for him.

Fally may be a better finisher but we created nothing for him when he came on today.

On that basis we could be in for a very long season, if we aren't scoring many.

Personally I'd rather have someone who from what I've seen is a better finisher given a chance, maybe an opportunity to get into some sort of rhythm instead of limited time coming off the bench every week.

As opposed to a battering ram who might worry a defender or two but can't score for toffee.

3 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

We have gone for revolution instead of evolution. Taking leaders like James,King and Weimann and all that experience away so quickly was always likely to bring short term problems. Probably from Mannings perspective they were all Pearsons men and more likely to question tactics and selection. He has now got a few more of his own lieutenants in to help him but the basic problem remains. His inability to work under pressure which was exposed last season and already several times this.

IMO 10 games, 20 games whatever will not make the difference. He has had plenty of time to show that he has adapted to the Championship but is continually getting out-thought by opposition managers. For me it’s just a question of when and not if the hierarchy will realise that. It will probably not be anytime soon because with the squad we now have we should be able to maintain our bang average mid-table position with occasional wins. There are some poor sides in this division now who lack our resources although some of them have managers like Warne who will be really looking forward to coming up against Manning. Admittedly it’s early days yet and as always it hurts after such an abject performance. Who knows we could be riding the wave again in a few weeks. We can but hope. It’s what we do. 

I'm with you JM. I've seen enough & would cut my losses now but lansdown won't want to admit defeat and he's far from humble. Even if the likes of Yu Mcnally improve us I have no faith in LM to optimise what we have & we are throwing away valuable points. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He was poor, but not the reason we lost.

Think in the 4 league games so far the standard has been awful, people won’t like it, but Keith Stroud has been the best of the bunch.

I've assumed that VAR sucks up decent officials and everyone below then moves up s bit. I can't back this up with facts though.

11 minutes ago, Spudgun said:

On that basis we could be in for a very long season, if we aren't scoring many.

Personally I'd rather have someone who from what I've seen is a better finisher given a chance, maybe an opportunity to get into some sort of rhythm instead of limited time coming off the bench every week.

As opposed to a battering ram who might worry a defender or two but can't score for toffee.

But why can’t they both be on the pitch at the same time.

I’m not saying you’re wrong but it would appear at the moment that LM favours Armstrong initially in how he wants to play.

But for me sometimes you need to do something different when things aren’t working so why does it have to be Sinclair or Fally ? Why can’t it be both ?

24 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I’m not sure I understand your point… I hate the Tories because they’re corrupt and essentially legalised criminals. How the likes of Hancock and Johnson aren’t in prison is beyond me. Given the chance I’d love to build an investigation on them. They’d be sitting ducks. Utter *****, almost all of them. 

After what this country has experienced in just a few weeks you have an skewed view on things. Surely a profession such as your demands that you serve the Govt not blab about hate and investigating what you think is worthy whilst ignoring real crimes. 

This is further proof of this creeping move to a  2 tier police state, it's your duty to serve not campaign for any political party. How else can we trust our cops?# to be even handed?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Facepalm 7

1 minute ago, cotswoldred2 said:

After what this country has experienced in just a few weeks you have an skewed view on things. Surely a profession such as your demands that you serve the Govt not blab about hate and investigating what you think is worthy whilst ignoring real crimes. 

This is further proof of this creeping move to a  2 tier police state, it's your duty to serve not campaign for any political party. How else can we trust our cops?# to be even handed?

Surely this isn’t part of the Matchday thread 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I’m not saying you’re wrong but it would appear at the moment that LM favours Armstrong initially in how he wants to play.

But for me sometimes you need to do something different when things aren’t working so why does it have to be Sinclair or Fally ? Why can’t it be both ?

Absolutely BOTD, I would love to see it.

Think they could be a real handful, sadly I don't see LM choosing to to so.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Absolute rubbish.

For all the “we’ve had a great window” stuff, we’re starting with a centre forward who runs his socks off but can’t finish to save his life & a side that looks totally devoid of goals.

Lots of pretty passing that goes absolutely nowhere.

If it wasn’t for Max we’d have lost by 5.

The Blackburn ticket arrived this morning- whether I can be bothered to follow it up with the best part of £80 getting there and back is looking unlikely on today’s showing. Hope bring wrung out of us before the end of August isn’t exactly a first but wasn’t what I was expecting!

• Robin 1

Fwiw I thought Derby Away would be trickier than some were predicting and more dangerous.

Referee and penalty shouts didn't help but all the newly Promoted clubs will give a few sides difficulties at their grounds IMO.

That aside, the 2nd half capitulation that was awful. Derby can survive and perhaps with a decent Home Record but they're no Ipswich or even Plymouth under Schumacher.

2 hours ago, Spike said:

but it's hard to be positive when one of the teams we should be easily beating have just tanked us 3-0, especially when we dominated the first half, had better opportunities and wasted them all.

A lot of people talking about attractive football and it looked great until we conceded but at that point we just kept trying the same thing over and over until half time. At that point Manning needs to understand they get 15 minutes with their coach who has been assessing the game, he sent his team out having sussed us out and we made no changes so the result was we got picked apart as we refused to adapt and change. 

Warne just schooled Manning in that second half, he identified our weaknesses, I clearly felt he said "takes shots from outside the box if you have to" because they did and it caused so many problems. Meanwhile we made no changes at all, not just subs but literally came out and did the same thing before the break as if Warne was going to do the same. Very poor planning from Manning which is a shame when he seemed to have found a style for us, the issue is the same as Pearsons undoing though, no back up plan, no ability to change on the fly. Where Pearson would struggle to deviate from counter football under Manning we seem to struggle to deviate from the passing patterns he's coaching. If your plan A fails then you need a good plan B, Warne had a plan B, we had nothing.

I'm trying to take a small crumb of comfort in that the team contains a lot of new fairly young players. There are a lot of games to get a better understanding but if after another 5/6 games we are making the same mistakes playing-wise. Game management then I shall be a little worried considering I think overall the new signings should make us better.

45 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Interesting… I love that my hate for the Tories is fuelled by their corruption but your hate for Labour is based on them not being Tories. 

But for what it’s worth, I swore my allegation to the queen (and now king) and country, not some fat blonde **** who can’t brush his hair.

Anyway, isn’t Manning similarly out of his depth?

Edited by Fordy62
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 5

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

That wouldn't change anything, the Lansdown family is putting in the maximum allowed under FFP.

Yes it would. 

We would have better decisions made for better reasons.

• Like 1

Just now, Superjack said:

Yes it would. 

We would have better decisions made for better reasons.

This is it.

Yeah the finances may not change much but the Fresh impetus could really help. Plus as you say perhaps a more Professional structure, well 2 in particular- no particular issue with Rawcliffe and Marshall is spread thin IMO being a Group CEO.

• Like 1

Just got home, this may sound odd but I do feel a firmer referee today, certainly a yellow or two early doors like when Twine was held back may have stopped Derby getting away with a fair bit of shenanigans in the 1st half. Not sure if the commentary picked up on that. 2nd half we were dire, heads dropped, Derby deserved it, atmosphere was very quiet. We have a real lack of leaders showing at the moment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cotswoldred2 said:

I do not share his political views, but off duty he has a perfect right to discuss his political leanings. I'm sure, while on duty, our friend is 100% professional.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

GOTTA LOVE OTIB. ❤️ 

No we didn’t.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I honestly think that's the last we will see of Naismith now, for a senior pro to look so shaky and nervous in his defense dutys and lack concentration like he did today is absolutely mind boggling. You could understand he was a 21, 22 year old lad but at 31 I thought he totally disrupted our defence it was the same when he come on against millwall. If I was manning after watching that he wouldn't play for me again. Especially if I have mcnally and Roberts ready to come in.

Edited by BCFC31
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BCFC31 said:

I honestly think that's the last we will see of Naismith now, for a senior pro to look so shaky and nervous in his defense dutys and lack concentration like he did today is absolutely mind boggling. You could understand he was a 21, 22 year old lad but at 31 I thought he totally disrupted our defence it was the same when he come on against millwall. If I was manning after watching that he wouldn't play for me again. Especially if I have mcnally and Roberts ready to come in.

There was one horrendous mistake when he basically passed the ball to a Derby player & they shot wide, but that apart, he wasn’t any worse than plenty of others.

That having been said with a fortnight under we play again, I’ll be amazed if McNally doesn’t start the next one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BS3_RED said:

Just leaving the ground now. Tale of two periods. First twenty we were outstanding even the Derby fans are saying it, after that though we looked average and then awful. Second half performance is unforgivable and that on Manning. 

Some very worrying trends starting to appear and I have backed and argued on here for Manning from the start and even I'm saying it

It's because he's bores the sh** out of them half time.

• Haha 3
  • Flames 1

14 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Yes but any player needs a run of games how many consistent games has he played even though he's experienced.

Edited by Street red

10 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I do not share his political views, but off duty he has a perfect right to discuss his political leanings. I'm sure, while on duty, our friend is 100% professional.

In that this Govt have come under scrutiny in not having a Police Force that is not favouring anything other than a Left Wing bias it was a very unprofessional to make such a comment about 'charges' that have no credence, and should not be voiced by a serving policeman, especially on here. 

That is my take on it.

• Facepalm 1

15 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

There was one horrendous mistake when he basically passed the ball to a Derby player & they shot wide, but that apart, he wasn’t any worse than plenty of others.

That having been said with a fortnight under we play again, I’ll be amazed if McNally doesn’t start the next one.

Just before that one he’d dropped a short pass on Max and almost cost us, he was all at sea second half too with balls over the top / in behind him.

I was one of his biggest fans early on, except we have better defenders who can also play ball now. I don’t think it’s any coincidence Zak and Cam looked woeful next to him either.

Problem with Kal is he’s very clearly a decent footballer who isn’t a defender. Id prefer him higher up the pitch if anywhere.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Na for me Naismith is done here, we have other players in the building in that position with emence talent who are alot younger who we need to be developing and giving game time to aka luke Mcnally and haydon roberts they can come in and compliment vyner Atkinson and dickie when fit that's a good blend there. For me Naismith doesn't play with the maturity you would expect from a senior pro.  Also Naismith is in the last year of his contract and will be 33 at the end of the season with an awful injury tecord to boot. We can't keep saying but he's a good passer okay then we'll what is he in the side to do create goals or keep the ball put the back of the net ? He would be better as a CDM in my opinion he certainly wouldn't be my last line of defence after max that's for sure.

Edited by BCFC31
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Just back and Naismith was awful but Vyner was as bad as I’ve seen in a long time.  I’m struggling to give anyone credit today if honest as thought so many struggled and we lost all our battles and basically wilted under their aggression. You could argue Max and Armstrong were ok but both made mistakes today and for all his power and pace that’s 4 1v1 chances missed in last 2 games.

That said, on occasions we played some great stuff so not all doom and gloom for me just yet but the way we folded was unacceptable.  We need to stop playing Twine as an inverted wide man as it leaves us completely unbalanced and our left side is getting overloaded.  Also, Sykes defensive work today was abysmal as he was constantly not tracking runners leaving Tanner with a man over.  I’m done with Sykes as bar a decent game last week has been poor for months. I get Bird until today has been great (nothing came off for him today) but we pay £3.75m for a 10 and then don’t play him in his correct position.  

I expect McNally to start and also think Yu will get a start in place of Sykes.  If it was me, I’d swap Bird/ Twine over as least Bird is naturally left footed as the other option is Memehti.  Disappointing day as genuinely thought we’d get something but putting it down to blip.  Over to Manning to choose the best formation and get some fight as we were back to soft old Bristol City today.  No idea what Robert’s has done to not warrant a minute of league football as ability wise has to be asking why?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

16 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

In that this Govt have come under scrutiny in not having a Police Force that is not favouring anything other than a Left Wing bias it was a very unprofessional to make such a comment about 'charges' that have no credence, and should not be voiced by a serving policeman, especially on here. 

That is my take on it.

Maybe you should just stick to commenting on football.  At least you could probably justify your opinion rather than falling back on right wing tropes.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

That is my take on it.

You are a ****, that is my take on it!

• Like 1

Just got back, posting from another thread

He needs to sort problems in second half out sharpish. Feel like it happens basically every game now. That genuinely could’ve been 5-0 against a pretty crap side all things considered.

Subs, again far far too late. Fally was warming up with one of the medical team by himself at HT, doing proper drills and sprints at pace. Was clear as day it was to get him ready to come on. Then he sits down on the bench again? And low & behold, he only comes on when we concede again. 

9 goals conceded in 4 games, 1 win from the first 4, shouts of “international break coming at a good time

• Like 1

Opposition take on your performance.

First 20 some excellent football and a goal during that spell you'd have probably won but as soon as we got close you looked like you lacked both the physically and desire to fight.

Interestingly after skimming some of the comments we have a different take on Armstrong. An absolute beast but he can't do it all by himself and needed someone closer to him. Bird is a great player but he's not going to be either in the box as much, or as close to Armstrong as you needed playing him as a number 10.

Naismith? I can't believe he's in ahead of Roberts and he made Vyner look less assured than I have seen before.

When you didn't have the ball your midfield balance seemed a long way off. Have you worked out Knight's position yet? As much as we loved him it was still up in the air when he left.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, pillred said:

I'm trying to take a small crumb of comfort in that the team contains a lot of new fairly young players. There are a lot of games to get a better understanding but if after another 5/6 games we are making the same mistakes playing-wise. Game management then I shall be a little worried considering I think overall the new signings should make us better.

Who are all these new fairly young players ?

Bird has over 100 Championship games, Armstrong 65 ish 

The rest of the starting lineup are established championship players.

57 minutes ago, The Coach said:

Just caught up with the result…Well I’m glad I spent the day out in Bradford on Avon drinking Thatchers. 

Was just along the river from you at Bathampton…you could’ve floated one of those Thatchers downstream to me! 😉

I shouldnt worry. With two weeks until the next game Kal will surely pick up his annual calf problem and essentially this shall be problem solved re his selection. 
Would not surprise me one bit if we ended up with a back 3 on our return too, as weve never looked so loose at the back. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Who are all these new fairly young players ?

Bird has over 100 Championship games, Armstrong 65 ish 

The rest of the starting lineup are established championship players.

New to US and have not played together much, and all our signings are young or fairly young, are they not?

15 hours ago, Back of the Dolman said:

It seems like the more we call for it, the more Manning will resist giving it a go.

After going 2-0 down, surely it was worth more of a punt than the predictable substitutions he made.

Manning is too cautious and withdraws into a shell when things go pear-shaped, instead of being inventive, decisive and brave.

Edited by Bazooka Joe
  • Like 1