IGNORED

Derby County away match thread

Jerseybean

2 minutes ago, Betelgeuse said:

Anyone get the feeling we’re just going to be stuck in this lower to mid table void for infinity 😂. No matter who we sign, who is managing, who owns the club and the plans they have, it’s always the same result come the end of may the majority of the time.

my first season was 92-93 and I believe we finished something like 15th that year in this league? 30 plus years later and that’s pretty much where we are now :laugh:.

Its pretty soul destroying this football thing sometimes!

Pearson and money would have broken the void.

But we can't change who is at the top making bad decisions

• Like 15
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1

10 minutes ago, One Team said:

I’ve said elsewhere need to give him 10 games but much more of today and patience will wear thin very quickly.

We can’t sack him now, we have all his ex-players !!!

Shocking scoreline, unpredictable after the recent performances. The first half was decent, and we didn't deserve to be one goal down (at least 1-1)...but in the second half we gradually lost the plot while they created way more chances, so not much to complain (maybe a penalty not given for a foul on Sykes at 2-0).

A result hard to take and it's hard to find positives too: O'Leary, Mehmeti and Yu's impact, some good passing/chances here and there, but if you don't score and the defence shakes...

Hopefully the international break will help Manning and some players to find answers.

Edited by Dan Robin

Only four league games and one cup game in and I still believe that 10 games is the first judgement call. However there are concerning patterns emerging:

Conceding every game (9 goals in five games is poor)

Not making our spells on top count (6 goals in 5 games is average, take out four in one of those and it's poor)

A significant downturn in second half performance in EVERY game

If Liam doesn't sort these early teething problems out in the next half a dozen games he will be under pressure. We've played five games, won once which was far harder work than it should have been and lost twice, a mediocre start overall. Today, the second half was shambolic, well below standard. That needs to be a one-off.

• Like 8
  • Flames 2

15 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That Manning needs to sort it out!

That said, I thought we were taking Derby a bit lightly as fans, tricky but winnable I thought. This is dreadful however, post half time.

The problem is Pop that LM hasn't the ability/knowhow to sort it out. It's plain to see

• Like 4

Concerning afternoon. Optimism really can be snuffed out so quickly.

I was disappointed with the draw last week and many said it’s a point we’d have taken. I said it’s a good point IF we beat Derby. 

One win in five all comps, things seem far less sunny this evening!

• Like 7

We still seem to be mentally weak. When things start to unravel we just lose all shape and discipline. Yep pretty football for 20 minutes but absolutely no point if you lack any killer instinct.

I’m still not convinced we have any real leaders out there. Early days of course, but need massive overall improvement to bring anywhere near the consistency we’ll need to seriously challenge on that showing.

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

Just leaving the ground now. Tale of two periods. First twenty we were outstanding even the Derby fans are saying it, after that though we looked average and then awful. Second half performance is unforgivable and that on Manning. 

Some very worrying trends starting to appear and I have backed and argued on here for Manning from the start and even I'm saying it

Edited by BS3_RED

We are far too predictable, and are instructed to play one way, and one way only. The Championship is a tough league to play that way, unless you’re a recent parachute club with a generally better level of player than everyone else.

Our midfield isn’t doing our defence any favours and we’re leaking goals.

I still see enough in our good stuff to be optimistic, but fear we may have a new streaky manager. Hopefully this was a low point, we click up front and go from there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ray savino said:

We still seem to be mentally weak

He’s taken all the experience and nous out of the squad so this was always the risk.   As many pointed out in here as he was doing it.  

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, ray savino said:

We still seem to be mentally weak. When things start to unravel we just lose all shape and discipline. Yep pretty football for 20 minutes but absolutely no point if you lack any killer instinct.

I’m still not convinced we have any real leaders out there. Early days of course, but need massive overall improvement to bring anywhere near the consistency we’ll need to seriously challenge on that showing.

Williams in particular seems to lose his sh1t when things get bad, makes reckless tackles and loses the plot.

Knight and Williams absolutely dreadful and basic in the middle, no creativity, slow the game down, not strong enough. 

Bird got smothered and couldn't find gaps to work in.

Boy Wonder Twine cost more than their lineup and killed our attacks every time. 

This second half drop off is a recurring theme and is unsettling. 

Look absolutely brittle without Dickie and trying to play openly from the back is going to work sometimes but a below average counter attack team with pace like today showed us how easy it is to play against us and they fully deserved the result.

Max was poor compared to usual standards but made some saves to keep the game from being a cricket score. 

Hope that isn't another 10-15m down the drain and I hope he can turn it around for the clubs sake but I don't enjoy this modern mongball perfect opportunity rubbish. 

1 minute ago, lenred said:

He’s taken all the experience and nous out of the squad so this was always the risk.   As many pointed out in here as he was doing it.  

In particular (IMO), letting King go when he was moving into coaching, had been player coach and been widely praised for his stuff with younger players- of which we have a decent number and he's a Bristol City fan.

That is and was criminal.

• Like 3

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

In particular (IMO), letting King go when he was moving into coaching, had been player coach and been widely praised for his stuff with younger players- of which we have a decent number and he's a Bristol City fan.

We all know why though don’t we?

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Only four league games and one cup game in and I still believe that 10 games is the first judgement call. However there are concerning patterns emerging:

Conceding every game (9 goals in five games is poor)

Not making our spells on top count (6 goals in 5 games is average, take out four in one of those and it's poor)

A significant downturn in second half performance in EVERY game

If Liam doesn't sort these early teething problems out in the next half a dozen games he will be under pressure. We've played five games, won once which was far harder work than it should have been and lost twice, a mediocre start overall. Today, the second half was shambolic, well below standard. That needs to be a one-off.

It is most definitely the 2nd Halves of games that concern me?  We seem to lack concentration, and fail to retain momentum, which allows the opposition to take over the game?   I am concerned that LM is all theory, and fails to react in a practical way to coping with change.   Very disappointed with his use of substitutions, he need to be more pro active IMHO?   Still has plenty of time to change things round , but some worrying signs.   Really missed Dickie today.       

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

We needed to keep at least one of the experienced leaders here was my thoughts.   Whether that be King, James or Andi. But getting rid of them all was foolish for me.  

Hopefully we will both be wrong come the end of the season though!   

• Like 3

It was a shockingly bad 2nd half performance but.....if Sinclair and Twine score the 3 easiest chances of the 1st half then we win that comfortably. Chances like these need to be put away but I worry that Sinclair hasn't got the composure of a goalscorer to put them away.

Twine chance was the easiest one of all.....just bloody hit it hard, the keeper should have had no chance of getting near it.

Edited by CityCiderEd
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Absolutely not. I can’t think of one player out there today who came out of that with any credit 

Bunch of gutless pussies 

LJ’s “selection tombola” as a source of entertainment/bewilderment has officially been replaced by Manning’s “interview bingo” where you just wait to hear those phrases and cross them off the list one by one!

• Like 3

Baffled at the abuse for Lansdown who has given Manning all the support he needed. His only fault is his failure to choose a decent manager which is very tricky for every owner 

• Hmmm 2
  • Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I’ve just done a silly thing;

I went onto Steve Lansdown’s Twitter and saw that he retweeted Kemi Badenoch. 

It now all makes sense what a **** he is. 

No surprise, it’s who he is.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

My biggest worry with Manning is his inability to change things with the subs

He continually goes like for like, even if it is clearly not working

Reminds  me of when i used to run a kids team. You had to give players a game every week so you took the same players off and replaced them with others in the same positions. But this was young kids not adults for god sake. His substitutions are just like for like. Lets have some changes that will affect the game Liam when you can see it falling apart before you,

• Flames 1

13 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Absolutely not. I can’t think of one player out there today who came out of that with any credit 

Bunch of gutless pussies 

Max?

Made two great saves, would have been 5 or 6 without him.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Banjo Red said:

Players need dropping for the next game give Yu McNally Fally a start.

At the moment I’m struggling to see that Fally causes a defence more problems than Armstrong.

For a big bloke he seems pretty soft and today he made no impact when he came on, touch didn’t look great and didn’t impose any physicality on the Derby defence 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Max?

Made two great saves, would have been 5 or 6 without him.

Yeah to be fair I will give you that one - although I thought he did poorly for the third goal (although will have to watch it again when I get home - but thought he pushed it back into the middle of the penalty box)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

My biggest worry with Manning is his inability to change things with the subs

He continually goes like for like, even if it is clearly not working

His coaching book says you only change at certain times 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, marksy said:

I’m going an away win and 3 points. What a side we’ve got and we’ll only get better as the season goes on. It’s Friday night and I’m sat in the garden drinking wine. 
The eggs and bacon are going to taste real good this Sunday morning while reading about how we took them apart 👍

I think it will be more like scrambled eggs now .

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

It was a shockingly bad 2nd half performance but.....if Sinclair and Twine score the 3 easiest chances of the 1st half then we win that comfortably. Chances like these need to be put away but I worry that Sinclair hasn't got the composure of a goalscorer to put them away.

Twine chance was the easiest one of all.....just bloody hit it hard, the keeper should have had no chance of getting near it.

Exactly what I posted, tried to place it and gave the Goalie a chance to block it with his legs, which he did.

19 minutes ago, kidjupiter said:

I thought it was an overreaction at half time for sure. The second half was diabolical though.

Manning's half-time monologue sent them into a coma.

He's challenging Starmer for the "Bloody Boring" title.

Robotic, dreary manager = robotic, dreary football.

Where's the passion? Where's the rage?

Feel so sorry for the dedicated hoardes who made the journey.

They deserve an apology.

• Flames 1
  • Facepalm 2

2 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Manning's half-time monologue sent them into a coma.

He's challenging Starmer for the "Bloody Boring" title.

Robotic, dreary manager = robotic, dreary football.

Where's the passion? Where's the rage?

Feel so sorry for the dedicated hoardes who made the journey.

They deserve an apology.

At least Starmer is in a position that affords a little dullness. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I don't remember anyone saying that at the time.

Quite the opposite generally.

• Hmmm 1

15 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

backed the wrong horse jonboy, going to be a big head ache clearing out this lot if manning dont realise his tactics dont work

This is a big worry 

1 minute ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Exactly what I posted, tried to place it and gave the Goalie a chance to block it with his legs, which he did.

Armstrong needs to improve his scoring technique but in fairness he actually bludgeoned the ball past the keeper twice but couldn't get it past the defender behind the keeper. 

3 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I don't remember anyone saying that at the time.

Quite the opposite generally.

Anything to back that up?

Like your prior claim a few weeks back.that we couldn't compete financially with half the League.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

7 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

At the moment I’m struggling to see that Fally causes a defence more problems than Armstrong.

For a big bloke he seems pretty soft and today he made no impact when he came on, touch didn’t look great and didn’t impose any physicality on the Derby defence 

Suppose you could argue it either way.

In general, Armstrong is probably more troublesome to play against, but it feels as though he often needs 2 or 3 decent chances to score, whereas Mayulu may only need one.

Which one of those constitues more of a problem for defences?

7 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I'd say very confidently he's more likely to put the ball in the net than Armstrong.

Sinclair is not the answer, he simply isn't a goal scorer. I'm sick of hearing on here that he 'tires' defences or 'scares' defenders.

The fact of the matter is if you don't do what a centre forward is supposed to do and convert chances then you aren't really a natural centre forward.

For the record I don't think he is, struggling to work out what he is to be honest. We are going backwards if he keeps getting picked up front.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

For the first 20 minutes we were edging the game but after that Derby deserved the win. Again we failed to take our chances first half but we were well beaten in the second as Derby scored twice and hit the post on another 3 occasions.We just didn't handle their pace and power, especially out wide. The ref was a little bit of a homer but neither side asked for or gave quarter. Where Derby were prepared to shoot we again tried to walk the ball into the net. It's early days but LMs got to get these players up for next one. Nice to see Yu get a few minutes as we didn't expect to see him before the international break. 

19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I said at the end of last season I would have fired out LM and given King a chance. Tbh I would have preferred the unknown managerial ability of AK to the known limitations of LM’s management. As I said LM is like another LJ but without the large transfer backing. He has since been relatively well backed, and a la LJ, seems to get worse the more options he has available to him. 

• Like 1

Well it didn’t get any better second half.

That was as bad as it’s been in years, absolutely fell apart, could and should have been 5/6 really.

Completely powderpuff all over the pitch, we seemed to pussyfoot so many tackles today.

The changes were crap. Why we still chose to have no width on the left baffles me and we didn’t really get it out to the right quick enough either.

It was good for 15/20 though and it should have been 2 to us before they scored.

Defence needs fixing asap.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

We have a choice, don’t we?

A bloke who runs the channels, puts himself about a lot but won’t score 8 this season even if he played every single game.

Or someone with less “presence” but far more likely to score.

• Like 3

I'm really concerned about LM and what we have witnessed so far. Even more so now he has a decent squad. The trouble is a bad start could be the difference at the end of the season 

23 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Suppose you could argue it either way.

In general, Armstrong is probably more troublesome to play against, but it feels as though he often needs 2 or 3 decent chances to score, whereas Mayulu may only need one.

Which one of those constitues more of a problem for defences?

Well I guess that depends if we’re creating chances and we created nothing for Fally when he came on.

Armstrong looks more likely to bully a defence or a keeper into a mistake and what we did create for him today needed his strength to make something of it.

Maybe having them both on the pitch at the same time might work but we’ll probably never see that 

Edited by Back of the Dolman

Just now, Midred said:

Any comments on the referee, made some very odd decisions.

He was poor, but not the reason we lost.

Think in the 4 league games so far the standard has been awful, people won’t like it, but Keith Stroud has been the best of the bunch.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Spudgun said:

I'd say very confidently he's more likely to put the ball in the net than Armstrong.

Sinclair is not the answer, he simply isn't a goal scorer. I'm sick of hearing on here that he 'tires' defences or 'scares' defenders.

The fact of the matter is if you don't do what a centre forward is supposed to do and convert chances then you aren't really a natural centre forward.

For the record I don't think he is, struggling to work out what he is to be honest. We are going backwards if he keeps getting picked up front.

Well I bet you the defenders in the teams we’ve played so far this season have felt under more pressure from Armstrong than they have Fally.

We had a good finisher in Conway but we ended up creating nothing for him.

Fally may be a better finisher but we created nothing for him when he came on today.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, lenred said:

Indeed. Unpopular opinion maybe but i would have offered Andi and James contracts. Much needed experience at this level which is undeniably crucial. Weimann can still do it at this level as his goal proved today..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Midred said:

Any comments on the referee, made some very odd decisions.

Like a lot of referees in the championship, poor to the point of useless. The standard of officials currently is bloody awful, he's just one of many.

• Like 1