IGNORED

Clapping an opponents goal.

The turtle

I'm watching city v Liverpool 79/80.

Just randomly came up on YouTube, so I thought I'd watch the start.

And that half volley , outside the box Kennedy goal, my goodness that is some strike. Incredibly I've never seen it or heard about it before 

Which other opponent goals have got clapped from home fans for an extended period at Ashton gate? Do you have any stunners that come to mind?

• Like 1

I remember years ago a pre season game v Real Mallorca

Samuel Eto was playing for them 

Their 5th goal were they done us on the break from our corner

is the best goal i have seen an away team score at the gate

Speed of the counter and the volley finish was just unreal

Most of the ground stood and clapped that goal

• Like 6

Slightly tangential, but I’d have to just bring up Leon Britton of Swansea here who early in his career (I think early 2000s) played in a league cup game at Ashton Gate and was the best player on the pitch by a mile and I, along with many others, gave him a deserved ovation.

• Like 14

10 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Slightly tangential, but I’d have to just bring up Leon Britton of Swansea here who early in his career (I think early 2000s) played in a league cup game at Ashton Gate and was the best player on the pitch by a mile and I, along with many others, gave him a deserved ovation.

Thought that was John Salako ?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Wasn’t that a league game mid week? Think Swansea beat us 3-0 and outplayed us for 90mins. Britton pulled all the strings.

Freddie Eastwood is another who I clapped after scoring 3 goals against us at AG. 

29 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

Thought that was John Salako ?

Nope. I remember the Salako game, but it was some time before. Just looking up the historic results the Britton game was 2003 and we won 4-1 (I think AET but results don’t specify that)

14 minutes ago, grifty said:

LuaLua got one when he was at Colchester.

I had forgotten that one. He was different class that game. An evening match IIRC?

45 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

Yup... Go along with that..... Anyone remember a darlington (i think) goal bout 83....

Was it Walshy?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The turtle said:

And that half volley , outside the box Kennedy goal, my goodness that is some strike. Incredibly I've never seen it or heard about it before 

Which other opponent goals have got clapped from home fans for an extended period at Ashton gate? Do you have any stunners that come to mind?

i think it was steve heighway had one for liverpool a couple of years before that one, on his own from about the halfway line.skipped past everyone

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

That was around 1988 I think 

He was on loan from Palace and I remember my Dad saying Joe Jordan should be straight on the phone after the match to try to sign him

Pretty sure it was 89/90 (promotion season)

Swansea with Salako won 3-1 at AG. I think it was the only home defeat of that season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Individual goals, Kalifa Cisse strike for Reading to put the cap on a 0-4 home defeat, I remember it being greeted with a universal round of applause.

Individual performances, the most recent I remember was Sergio Aguero for Man City. I don't know about anyone else but I was amazed at his ability to "hide" on a football pitch and yet be present almost unmarked when the ball arrived in the box. When he was substituted I think 95% of the ground applauded him off.

The same game I remember the final goal by De Bruyne, and the immediate final whistle being blown, as if the referee also recognised that this was the icing on the cake for the game.

Going back in time, an early game in the old 1st Division against West Brom who had been promoted with us, I think they won 0-2 and the late Laurie Cunningham was simply stunning to watch. I remember in particular a pass to him along the right touchline which was about 4 feet in the air and he jumped and laid it off with the outside of his right foot inside to a team mate, and the whole enclosure applauding the skill involved. 

I think it's something that has sadly slipped out of our game, the ability to recognise great skill or great teamwork by the opposition.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, archie andrews said:

Yup... Go along with that..... Anyone remember a darlington (i think) goal bout 83....

Yes - 2nd May 1983. I remember pretty much the whole ground applauding Division 4 days so not an especially big crowd mind. 

I remember all of the occasions mentioned above, after being prompted. Some really fantastic performances where you sometimes have to say 'well done lad' regardless of the jersey they are wearing (not including the Gas of course). Not so much the performance, but I do remember home fans clapping a goal from Eamonn O'Keefe for Blackpool against City in the 85-86 season. He was an Ireland international who scored 20+ goals in Division 3 that season. The ball was played into him with Keith Curle tightly marking him and 25 years from goal, in a split second, he turned in one direction, fooling Curle, then swivelled in the other direction and hit the ball into the top corner like a rocket, the keeper never had a prayer. I always pick that out as my 'favourite' ever goal against City (if you can have such a thing). 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I had forgotten that one. He was different class that game. An evening match IIRC?

Yes I think it was.

I think we also played them the game after they sold him because I swear we were singing “Where’s your LuaLua gone?”

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Individual goals, Kalifa Cisse strike for Reading to put the cap on a 0-4 home defeat, I remember it being greeted with a universal round of applause.

Individual performances, the most recent I remember was Sergio Aguero for Man City. I don't know about anyone else but I was amazed at his ability to "hide" on a football pitch and yet be present almost unmarked when the ball arrived in the box. When he was substituted I think 95% of the ground applauded him off.

The same game I remember the final goal by De Bruyne, and the immediate final whistle being blown, as if the referee also recognised that this was the icing on the cake for the game.

Going back in time, an early game in the old 1st Division against West Brom who had been promoted with us, I think they won 0-2 and the late Laurie Cunningham was simply stunning to watch. I remember in particular a pass to him along the right touchline which was about 4 feet in the air and he jumped and laid it off with the outside of his right foot inside to a team mate, and the whole enclosure applauding the skill involved. 

I think it's something that has sadly slipped out of our game, the ability to recognise great skill or great teamwork by the opposition.

The Cisse goal was my first thought too.

As to individual performance, Ricky Villa for Spurs. The pitch was icy and rock hard but he looked like he was on a perfect surface.

• Like 1

Just now, chinapig said:

The Cisse goal was my first thought too.

As to individual performance, Ricky Villa for Spurs. The pitch was icy and rock hard but he looked like he was on a perfect surface.

Oh yes. On the same pitch as Hoddle, Ardiles and other Spurs superstars and he ran the game while walking through our midfield again and again. He was head and shoulders above everyone on the pitch that day.

• Like 1

In the 1995/6 season, Newcastle were top of the league with 8 wins out of 9, and we were in the third tier. We drew them in the League Cup, and they won the first leg 5-0 at Ashton Gate. In the away leg we went up to St James Park, it was 0-0 on the night, Junior Bent went down the right wing, crossed, and Paul Agostino put a lovely  header into the top corner. All the Newcastle fans clapped. Here it is (0.50)

https://youtu.be/5NcfpuwgXcs?si=c8wmNLLOx8hieNF2

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

42 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

The only time I remember clapping an opposing player was after Gabbiadini had totally destroyed us

I don’t remember how many he got in a 1-6 at home! 

We were 1-0 up from the first leg away, and should have won the tie. We had chance after chance at home, but missed them all, and Sunderland just killed us on the break again and again and again. The next day at school, as I was getting ribbed for a 6-1 defeat, I tried and failed to explain that the scoreline was not a fair reflection of the match.

• Haha 1

I don’t think I’ve ever been able to bring myself to clap an opponent’s goal - I’m far too petty. Down the years I have been aware of this happening, though. Even one of David bloody Kelly’s numerous goals against us. I also remember seeing on the TV highlights Bob Taylor’s volley at Swansea in the 5-0 win being clapped by some of their fans behind the goal.  

• Robin 1

17 minutes ago, Boston Red said:

We were 1-0 up from the first leg away, and should have won the tie. We had chance after chance at home, but missed them all, and Sunderland just killed us on the break again and again and again. The next day at school, as I was getting ribbed for a 6-1 defeat, I tried and failed to explain that the scoreline was not a fair reflection of the match.

Takes some doing to lose and be thrashed on the break at Home when holding an away lead.

Tactical planning and meticulous nature of lockng a game or a tie down probably wasn't so big in the mid 1990s?

I remember clapping Reece James’s goal against us when he was on loan at Wigan from Chelsea (was either the season that covid happened or the one before?) but it was an absolute worldy. Some goals are just too good to yell “**** off you ***” at the player as he runs off celebrating!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sglosbcfc said:

I remember all of the occasions mentioned above, after being prompted. Some really fantastic performances where you sometimes have to say 'well done lad' regardless of the jersey they are wearing (not including the Gas of course). Not so much the performance, but I do remember home fans clapping a goal from Eamonn O'Keefe for Blackpool against City in the 85-86 season. He was an Ireland international who scored 20+ goals in Division 3 that season. The ball was played into him with Keith Curle tightly marking him and 25 years from goal, in a split second, he turned in one direction, fooling Curle, then swivelled in the other direction and hit the ball into the top corner like a rocket, the keeper never had a prayer. I always pick that out as my 'favourite' ever goal against City (if you can have such a thing). 

I remember that one - had taken a friend to their first football match, someone who watched a lot of top flight football on TV but never actually been to a game, they were amazed that football supporters could be so generous to an opponent!

• Like 1

I remember the Reece James goal getting a clap. Also Freddy Eastwood definitely got a round of applause after he rocketed one in from 30 yards to complete a hat trick against us for Southend many moons ago. 

I remember that Liverpool game, I had been optimistically hoping the pattern of results in our time in the top flight would continue.

In our 4 top flight years we matched Liverpool in the first 3 seasons to the exact score.

First season lost 2-1 away won 2-1 home. Second season drew 1-1 away and home. Third season lost 1-0 away won 1-0 at home.

Sadly in our final season we lost 4-0 away so it was unlikely we’d match that and indeed Dalglish and the rest including that goal of the season from Kennedy beat us easily and the pattern was broken.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

You are right, it was when Swansea were not that good and everyone was going “we should buy him, we are way better than Swansea” 

Then like most teams they overtook us!

2 minutes ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

You are right, it was when Swansea were not that good and everyone was going “we should buy him, we are way better than Swansea” 

Then like most teams they overtook us!

Swansea post and into the early 2000s almost went bankrupt and then put of the League.

Then in the mid 2000s they decided to go wirh a consistent philosophy.

Jackett did the intiial promotion to League 1, which also coincided with them moving into the 20k Liberty Stadium probably more off field revenue too.

⬇️

Martinez took them on significantly and into the Championship.The 

⬇️

Along with Martinez, Scotland and Gomez were taken to Wigan. However they recruited well and to their plan, in came Paulo Sousa. Big name as a player and consistent tactically albeit a bit defensive with it.

⬇️

In come Rodgers and ethos, base, the correct combination or defensive solidity, technical excellence and good tactics and without spending shitloads they got up via the playoffs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I clapped Stan Collymore after he single handedly dismantled us years ago. One of the best CF performances I had ever seen.

Not one of the best - THE best he was awesome that day 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The turtle said:

Don’t know if this counts but I did give a sporting round of applause for a certain Colin Daniel of Mansfield’s goal against some team - a thing of beauty 

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

i think it was steve heighway had one for liverpool a couple of years before that one, on his own from about the halfway line.skipped past everyone

That's the first one that came to mind. You could see it unfold in the Dolman as he got closer and closer and finished it all off with a wordly.

Best goal at the gate for mine.

2 hours ago, redkev said:

Don’t know if this counts but I did give a sporting round of applause for a certain Colin Daniel of Mansfield’s goal against some team - a thing of beauty 

I think I know the goal you mean but I'm not sure he was playing for Mansfield. If my memory serves me correctly he was playing for Bristol Rovers that day. I remember the kit they were wearing....

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Boston Red said:

Dion Dublin is another opponent who received a standing occasion when substituted at the Gate in March 2008. He'd announced his intentions to retire at the end of the season and the all in the ground rose to their feet too show appreciation for a decent bloke who'd been a good servant to the game we love regardless of him having zero links to the club.

12 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I clapped Stan Collymore after he single handedly dismantled us years ago. One of the best CF performances I had ever seen.

That performance was amazing. I think he scored 4 that day. We all applauded him. Terrific player but an unpleasant man.

32 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Scored 2, if we’re thinking of the same game. Forest at home in 93.

That’s the game. Collymore was awesome that day - it felt like he’d scored 4 goals……….:cool2:

• Like 1

I'll be honest, I clapped Watmore's goal for Millwall only a few weeks ago...

Followed by a few obscenities about how we had conceded 3 in 12 minutes. 

When an opposition score a good goal, you've got to just love the game and hope you get one to cheer yourself... which we did when Fally and Bird combined. Arguably one of the best goals I've seen at AG in over 30 years. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

I think I know the goal you mean but I'm not sure he was playing for Mansfield. If my memory serves me correctly he was playing for Bristol Rovers that day. I remember the kit they were wearing....

👍😂😂😂😂

2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Danny Wilson got a standing ovation after we blew a 2 goal lead, tinnion wasn't happy about that at all I recall 

Tinnion was fuming about that, not that Wilson deserved an ovation after the shit show at the Millennium against Brighton

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ray savino said:

I seem to remember a great performance by Gary Shaw of Villa in the last season we were in the old First Division. Think he got a hat-trick? Cracking player, sadly career spoiled through injuries.

Yep, he was unplayable that day.  Such a shame re injury.

When John Galley left us to join Forest, I was in the Midlands at the time and went to watch us play them. Of course, Big John scored and I had to give reluctant applause due to the fact that I held him is such high regard.

15 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I came here for this. I seem to remember most clapping the Cisse goal. I don’t think so much that it was spectacular but it was the most dominant performances for 60 mins I’d ever seen. Absolute men against boys. Seem to recall Jimmy Kebe was unplayable that day and we could have been 8-0 down at half time. Reading had just been relegated so had a formidable team, and ours had lost the playoff final and never recovered. 

5 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Danny Wilson got a standing ovation after we blew a 2 goal lead, tinnion wasn't happy about that at all I recall 

Which game was that?

I remember a game where Wilson in August 2005, got a standing ovation from many fans on his return and Tinnion got booed by some as the teams came out.

Predecessor-Successor.