IGNORED

Utter disgrace Manning (LJ) - you’ve been backed and you serve up that?

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The thing is a lot of these fans who perhaps aren't so happy aren't just say young fans who have seen us in the Championship mainly and a really well developed new ground, they're long standing who have seen us in worse positions on and off the pitch.

Speaking for myself only, it doesn't feel as if we are pushing and striving at all times to be the very best we can in all areas as a club. It's something intangible and certainly not solely spending based.

I’m 40 and have been watching the club since Denis Smith. I know the signs of a manager out of his depth.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

I'm not Manning out by any means but it was a total joke he came in last season and focused on trying to improve our already great defence. One whole summer of him and its gone to total shit at the back.

In Mannings own words He’s been given the tools

• Like 3

Today was awful by all accounts but surely it's a bit early to be going with this? 

Feels like a few of these posts were chambered over the summer just waiting for a chance. 

I'm still going to give it 10-12 games. I don't expect a world beating performance to cancel this one out but it has to be better, from both an overall performance perspective and a Manning perspective.

• Like 11

Not going to read the whole thread but I have been a Manning supporter. That is embarrassing. Dickie not playing isn’t an excuse either. Idk how good Derby will be come season’s end but I doubt it’ll be top half. If we were serious about “contending” we go in there and beat them 2-0 and come back home. One game but imo not a good sign at all. LM needs to get it together quick. 

• Like 1

Yes it was dreadful today but its one defeat in 4 games and the next game will show us if Manning is able to address that issue and improve us.

That's short term, but in the long term, surely we have to judge him after 10 or so games...not just this one.

Edited by east sussex red

49 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Oh pressure will be on.

If we are in the bottom 8 10-15 Games in, then it'll be toxic and I hope it is.

You hope it is toxic if that happens? or you hope that is what happens. The latter wouldn’t surprise me

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

I know all that, I was one of Nige's biggest supporters on here to the point where I was regularly accused of being overly defensive of him.

None of that context accounts for games like Birmingham away a couple of seasons ago, or West Brom away the season before. And those games happened, despite what some are now trying to claim. They happen under every manager we've ever had and ever will. That's all I'm saying.

There’s no room for such nuance on this forum I am afraid you are either frothing at the mouth or please leave

Edited by Fjmcity
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Fancy expecting to see a decent performance and a team actually having a good start to the season. 

So entitled. We should all expect it to be rubbish and be grateful.

Football Manager fans, all of us.

I’m a bit on the fence when it comes to our start of the season.

When we are on top we do look very good. We control the game and we look dangerous. When the other side has momentum we struggle to slow the game down or turn the tide for too long. 

Even at 2-0, after Millwall I hadn’t completely written us off a 2-2, which is a good sign I guess. Didn’t take long to see that this time we couldn’t find a break through and had ran out of ideas. Against Millwall bringing on Twine lifted us. Today the subs were ineffective. Think the bench looks stronger than it is. 

I think we are missing ‘old head’ experience in the middle. Just someone who can be a calming influence, at the moment the combination of Knight and Williams is too combative when the tides against us, trying too hard. 

The break has come at a really good time for us. A chance to start to integrate a new CB behind closed doors and work on the killer pass in training. 

Edited by 38MC
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

It is as clear as day that LM is not up to the job.

It has been since day one. People get blinded because he “speaks well”, but he cannot motivate a team and cannot manage in game situations. 

He hasn’t developed a single player from academy to first team across MK Dons, Oxford or here.

His subs are scripted, he doesn’t have a plan B and he’s started to shoehorn players into the side in unnatural positions despite spending over £10m in fees on the squad. Twine’s on the pitch at 2-0 down and we take two short corners rather than relying on our set-piece expert.

If someone can tell me something LM excels at, I’d be impressed. 

Excels at throwing players under bus when it doesn't work 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Today was awful by all accounts but surely it's a bit early to be going with this? 

Feels like a few of these posts were chambered over the summer just waiting for a chance. 

I'm still going to give it 10-12 games. I don't expect a world beating performance to cancel this one out but it has to be better, from both an overall performance perspective and a Manning perspective.

All of my concerns have been there since before the summer and have continued this season, so sorry if they sound “chambered”.

They’re patterns which have continued over 10 months now.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

32 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

I’m 40 and have been watching the club since Denis Smith. I know the signs of a manager out of his depth.

You little scamp

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Wow. People crying after 4 games.  Not surprised but just give it till 10 at least. 

Can they cry then boss 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

It has been since day one. People get blinded because he “speaks well”, but he cannot motivate a team and cannot manage in game situations. 

He hasn’t developed a single player from academy to first team across MK Dons, Oxford or here.

His subs are scripted, he doesn’t have a plan B and he’s started to shoehorn players into the side in unnatural positions despite spending over £10m in fees on the squad. Twine’s on the pitch at 2-0 down and we take two short corners rather than relying on our set-piece expert.

In a nutshell, agree with everything you said.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, east sussex red said:

Yes it was dreadful today but its one defeat in 4 games and the next game will show us if Manning is able to address that issue and improve us.

That's short term, but in the long term, surely we have to judge him after 10 or so games...not just this one.

One defeat in 4

.....or a 25 per cent win rate.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sandhurst Red said:

Gotta love this place.

Knee jerk in the extreme.

Should have been 2-0 up and out of sight.

Have started the season well, with most issues stemming from individual mistakes. The first 2 Derby goals were poor, and yes, Manning should take some responsibility, but that was down to individuals not doing the basics.

I'm not saying Manning is exempt from criticism, but a little sense of realism from the negative posters on here, wouldn't go amiss.

"Should have been 2-0 up and out of sight".

Smacks of everything that is wrong with recruitment at this club. It's not rocket science.

WE NEED A GOALSCORER!!

Been crying out for one since Tammy and it's never been addressed. 

**** Twine, **** a number 10. Spend big on a goalscorer. 

This is what happens when you've got muppets running a football club. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

I agree with your comments but unfortunately there is a problem with the bit I’ve highlighted. In reality there is no board in the traditional sense. It consists of one person - Steve Lansdown. It’s his club and he’ll do what he likes so unless he can find a buyer he’s going to go on running the club in the same old way and keep on making the same old mistakes 

I agree. But my point is that eventually the supporters need to recognise that and stop blaming the managers. We are in danger of becoming stuck in a loop. We get an experienced manager who stands up to the board and demands they provide the support he needs to deliver what they tell the fans the club is striving for, the board don’t like it, fire him and replace him with an inexperienced yes man prepared to tow the board line of mediocrity. The fan get restless with a manager not up to the job, the board fire them. Rinse, repeat. How does that dynamic ever change? Only one way in my book, the board go. The supporters need to stop blaming Manning for being what he is, the fault lies with a board unprepared to do what is needed. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 4

3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

They can do what they want but it’s pretty embarrassing.  First bad performance of the season and the bedwetters come out 

I totally agree but calling someone a bed wetter is embarrassing wouldn’t you agree(unless you are a young un)

Edited by joe jordans teeth
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

They can do what they want but it’s pretty embarrassing.  First bad performance of the season and the bedwetters come out 

How is that the first bad performance of the season. Hull was OK, Millwall we were poor for the middle 60 mins, Cov we were poor 2nd half. Carabao Cup we were pretty poor, Willem 2 pre season wasn't great.

Edited by Sir Geoff
Mis spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, east sussex red said:

Well it's two defeats in five, counting the EFL cup which we went with a strong side, and only one win. 

He's had more than ten matches. He's had ten months and is repeating the same behaviours we saw last season. This despite having two months "on the grass" and shaping the squad how he wants it. 

He's shown he's unwilling/unable to address his downfalls.

Today has been coming.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Capman said:

I agree. But my point is that eventually the supporters need to recognise that and stop blaming the managers. We are in danger of becoming stuck in a loop. We get an experienced manager who stands up to the board and demands they provide the support he needs to deliver what they tell the fans the club is striving for, the board don’t like it, fire him and replace him with an inexperienced yes man prepared to tow the board line of mediocrity. The fan get restless with a manager not up to the job, the board fire them. Rinse, repeat. How does that dynamic ever change? Only one way in my book, the board go. The supporters need to stop blaming Manning for being what he is, the fault lies with a board unprepared to do what is needed. 

Can we do both? Blame Manning for the on field results and the board for putting him in that position in the first place? If LM ultimately fails, the fans need to be all over the board. I fear that the board know this and will ultimately persist with backing LM for as long as humanly possible, leading to another 4/5 seasons of midtable mediocrity at best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fjmcity said:

Uh oh, there sure are some panties up in a twist on here

Can I just ask, are you a Bristol City supporter and if so what are your expectations for this season? Do you think the play offs are a reasonable target and if so what are the chances City will make it? Do you care if they do or not? Because it seems to me that there are legitimate concerns being expressed by some supporters who want better for their club, while there are a few who seem satisfied with mediocrity and even failure. I wonder which the real supporters are? 

• Like 5

Just now, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Can we do both? Blame Manning for the on field results and the board for putting him in that position in the first place? If LM ultimately fails, the fans need to be all over the board. I fear that the board know this and will ultimately persist with backing LM for as long as humanly possible, leading to another 4/5 seasons of midtable mediocrity at best.

Of course, and I agree. But for me Manning is a symptom of the problems at the club not the cause. So just blaming Manning will lead to another cycle of decline at best. Manning is the last throw of the dice for Jon. Manning fails, Jon fails and both have to go. No self respecting senior manager will want to come here and work with him. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

How is that the first bad performance of the season. Hull was OK, Millwall we were poor for the middle 60 mins, Cov we were poor 2nd half. Caravan Cup we were pretty poor, Willem 2 pre season wasn't great.

Agree, I see no evidence at all of someone up to the job and right now I bet there are zero Oxford fans missing him, they’ve gone from strength.  Meanwhile, unsurprisingly we’re looking very much like the Oxford team who played pretty football but we, ultimately, thrashed 5-1. 
The most frustrating thing for me in d that we were a tough, resilient side and he’s already broken that. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

I totally agree but calling someone a bed wetter is embarrassing wouldn’t you agree(unless you are a young un)

Are you telling me you’ve never called anyone a bed wetter on here before?!  The hypocrisy is astounding!  

1 minute ago, Capman said:

Of course, and I agree. But for me Manning is a symptom of the problems at the club not the cause. So just blaming Manning will lead to another cycle of decline at best. Manning is the last throw of the dice for Jon. Manning fails, Jon fails and both have to go. No self respecting senior manager will want to come here and work with him. 

Manning and Jon gone? Sounds good to me 👍

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

15 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

"Should have been 2-0 up and out of sight".

Smacks of everything that is wrong with recruitment at this club. It's not rocket science.

WE NEED A GOALSCORER!!

Been crying out for one since Tammy and it's never been addressed. 

**** Twine, **** a number 10. Spend big on a goalscorer. 

This is what happens when you've got muppets running a football club. 

I really like Armstrong. We need to continue to play to his strength which is his athleticism and just give him multiple chances. And for the three behind to be better at following him in. 

He’s never going to be a one-chance and take it striker, and if he was he wouldn’t be here. But he’s going to get multiple chances most games. I can see plenty of potential in him  

Fally is impossible to call right now. On the one hand he looks lethal, can create out of nothing, on the flip side if he doesn’t score he doesn’t actually offer anything. I’m Lee Tomlin vibes - all or nothing  

So… maybe try to find a way to play them both together?! 

Edited by 38MC
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, grifty said:

I thought the players let everyone down today.

Naismith was poor

Pring is terrible

Twine was moaning at everything

Bird trying to do flicks all the time

Armstrong out-muscled

Sykes not direct enough

Vyner lost his head

What an earth has happened to cam pring by the way ? He is a shadow of his former self! Looks shot to bits.

2 hours ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

I watched the post match video with Liam and I thought he looked pretty shaken, and not in the "I am raging" way.  Not a good sign unfortunately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Yes anyone can beat anyone. Except if you play like that week in week out you lose many more than you win.

Yeah but we won’t and don’t play like that every week. We’re not consistent enough to trouble the top six and aren’t bad enough to go down. That unfortunately is the reality right now

22 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

We’re one late winner away from not winning in our first five games. After a relatively easy start according to most.

Equally we’re one stupid decision away from winning 2 from 4 in the league.

1 hour ago, Fjmcity said:

You hope it is toxic if that happens? or you hope that is what happens. The latter wouldn’t surprise me

I want us to win every game we play.

I think the hierarchy have run their course but the more we win the happier I, and the rest of us, are.

What are your hopes and expectations for the season?

9 minutes ago, White Stripe said:

I watched the post match video with Liam and I thought he looked pretty shaken, and not in the "I am raging" way.  Not a good sign unfortunately.

Tbf, this was exactly my thought when I watched it earlier. I could very well be reading into things too much, but he seemed scrambled and needed a second to answer, even just being asked “what went wrong”. 

We can’t, in all seriousness, be calling for his head this early in the season, but he hasn’t exactly ripped up trees since he got here, and I’m not sure when this “new season bounce” that Oxford fans spoke of is going to be happening. 

5 minutes ago, Out of his pie crust said:

Yeah but we won’t and don’t play like that every week. We’re not consistent enough to trouble the top six and aren’t bad enough to go down. That unfortunately is the reality right now

Just a shame we can’t play ‘Southampton’. Tinnion is silent tonight. His man, he needs to take responsibility. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Capman said:

It’s been pretty obvious for a while. The squad clear out and transfer revenue Manning’s predecessor delivered made this season the season when City should be pressing for promotion. It’s too early to say if we will or not. But if we do not, the board should take responsibility for their decisions and go. 

Genuinely frustrated by this statement....not by the post itself....but by its annual regularity. What happened to footy as a mode of escapism....a welcomed distraction......Jeez. 

52 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The thing is a lot of these fans who perhaps aren't so happy aren't just say young fans who have seen us in the Championship mainly and a really well developed new ground, they're long standing who have seen us in worse positions on and off the pitch.

Speaking for myself only, it doesn't feel as if we are pushing and striving at all times to be the very best we can in all areas as a club. It's something intangible and certainly not solely spending based.

For the record my first year was Benny, first game in fact and 8 years in League One in a significantly undeveloped ground..

Where we are now is probably where we've been most frequently in our history, so I don't think it's anything to shout about. It's just average and we've finally caught up on and off the pitch with other similar sized clubs, at last. Sure, I've seen it much, much worse (as bad as it gets) than now, but that was when we were chronically under achieving, utterly appalling and an embarrassment. To counter that, what many of us would love to see before we die is a period of over achievement, even if brief. I don't think it's entitlement, we're just fed up with seeing other (smaller) clubs have their day in the sun and we never do a damn thing and don't look like changing that any time soon.  

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Capman said:

Can I just ask, are you a Bristol City supporter and if so what are your expectations for this season? Do you think the play offs are a reasonable target and if so what are the chances City will make it? Do you care if they do or not? Because it seems to me that there are legitimate concerns being expressed by some supporters who want better for their club, while there are a few who seem satisfied with mediocrity and even failure. I wonder which the real supporters are? 

Haha, the last question would be a fun debate to have wouldn’t it. I’m sure you’d win you bloody super fan!

My expectations are as they always are.. grounded in realism of who Bristol city are in the grand scheme of football, our budget and where we are in the current process . It’s an incredibly tough league, one I am pleased we compete in (wasn’t always that way) - and we do compete despite what you might hear on here. This season Our signings anre incredibly exciting, but as a bunch they are incredibly new and some of them are still incredible young. I am stable enough to understand that things take time and I do see the potential for a well performing team. I hope and expect an improvement on last year that provides reasonable expectation for a sustained playoff bid next year. If we don’t see that this year then serious questions must be asked of manning. 

4 games in though when we have seen some positives and negatives? All this is just nonsense and a little pathetic. To cycle back round, you seem to suggest that being a real fan demands zero mistakes and wins every week - which to be honest sounds like the opposite. Perhaps Manchester City would be more to your taste 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

We were not two nil and out of sight because we spent millions on a bloke who has scored 3 goals up to this season. Just totally idiotic borderline arrogant to have him as our main striker. That's on Manning , Tinnion and Lansdown.

Every single word. 👏

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IAmNick said:

Yep, that’s where I am. He doesn’t have huge currency with me after what I thought was a poor reign last season and I’m not sure that he’s the man we should be throwing all the resources at but I’ll see how it flies up until Leeds - noting this is an easier block!

1 hour ago, east sussex red said:

Equally, it’s one win in five this season, caused by an absolutely frenetic spell that happens once in a blue moon.

56 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

All of my concerns have been there since before the summer and have continued this season, so sorry if they sound “chambered”.

They’re patterns which have continued over 10 months now.

And this is equally as valid. My biggest concern is the same as game three - that he has a real issue managing in game. I’m not seeing signs of that improving over the 10 months and it’s fair to ask if it ever will.

• Like 2

On another note, how ridiculous was the decision to bring on Yu with 10 mins left. 
We were never getting back into it and if he’d suffered a recurrence in those ten minutes rather than being given the international break to fully recover, I’d have been even more fuming.

At 2-1 maybe, but at 2-0 it wasn’t worth the risk.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Graham76 said:

This result has unfortunately dumped a huge pile of crap on all the positivity built up over recent weeks.  

I think so too. I was really pessimistic coming into this season but now my expectations have raised. 

Against Hull we did play well and it’s the opening game of the season. No need to micro-analyse that in the context of a season. So that’s a tick from me. 

Millwall was a rollercoaster. You can either cry that we gave up a 2-0 lead, or think we won 4-3 from losing 2-3. Twine off the bench had an immense impact, so that has to be taken into context for the next two. 

Coventry - we gave a good battle to a play off side last season. Could argue we just shaded it. That’s not so bad.  

Today we seemed to have a really good 30 mins. Derby scored against the run of play and we didn’t react well. Too much eagerness and we tried to hard. We became sloppy and the subs were ineffective. 

So basically we’ve seen the full rollercoaster, so more games are needed 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

Haha, the last question would be a fun debate to have wouldn’t it. I’m sure you’d win you bloody super fan!

My expectations are as they always are.. grounded in realism of who Bristol city are in the grand scheme of football, our budget and where we are in the current process . It’s an incredibly tough league, one I am pleased we compete in (wasn’t always that way) - and we do compete despite what you might hear on here. This season Our signings anre incredibly exciting, but as a bunch they are incredibly new and some of them are still incredible young. I am stable enough to understand that things take time and I do see the potential for a well performing team. I hope and expect an improvement on last year that provides reasonable expectation for a sustained playoff bid next year. If we don’t see that this year then serious questions must be asked of manning. 

4 games in though when we have seen some positives and negatives? All this is just nonsense and a little pathetic. To cycle back round, you seem to suggest that being a real fan demands zero mistakes and wins every week - which to be honest sounds like the opposite. Perhaps Manchester City would be more to your taste 

Why do you feel the need to try and belittle everyone else? Does it make you feel important? I  agree with some of what you say, but not all of it. If you check what I have been saying for the last year I have been consistent. I believe the work done over the last 4 years to streamline the squad, get the wage bill under control, bring through young players and make a profit from selling them on gives the club a very unusual opportunity to get to the playoffs. The board made the decision to gamble that opportunity on dispensing of the services of an experienced CEO and Manager and replacing them with novices, they should stand or fall by the success of that decision. If Manning gets us into the playoffs and delivers a realistic chance if promotion I will congratulate the board for a brave but good decision. If he does not I think Jon should do the honourable thing, admit he has failed as Chairman and stand down in favour of someone else. I feel perfectly entitled to his of that view and to express it as often as I like. I am happy for you disagree, giving reasons if you do. But just posting patronising guff and suggesting others are wrong adds nothing. 

• Like 5
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 3

2 minutes ago, Capman said:

Why do you feel the need to try and belittle everyone else? Does it make you feel important? I  agree with some of what you say, but not all of it. If you check what I have been saying for the last year I have been consistent. I believe the work done over the last 4 years to streamline the squad, get the wage bill under control, bring through young players and make a profit from selling them on gives the club a very unusual opportunity to get to the playoffs. The board made the decision to gamble that opportunity on dispensing of the services of an experienced CEO and Manager and replacing them with novices, they should stand or fall by the success of that decision. If Manning gets us into the playoffs and delivers a realistic chance if promotion I will congratulate the board for a brave but good decision. If he does not I think Jon should do the honourable thing, admit he has failed as Chairman and stand down in favour of someone else. I feel perfectly entitled to his of that view and to express it as often as I like. I am happy for you disagree, giving reasons if you do. But just posting patronising guff and suggesting others are wrong adds nothing. 

They might ejther be a forelock tugger or on the Payroll? :)

Serious note, some fans Idk perhaps they have a misplaced loyalty in which the good supersedes any negative aspects. A blindspot?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

45 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

What an earth has happened to cam pring by the way ? He is a shadow of his former self! Looks shot to bits.

Agree. Over coached? He used to be a positive incisive player. Not now. 

Edited by Mendip City

9 minutes ago, 38MC said:

I think so too. I was really pessimistic coming into this season but now my expectations have raised. 

Against Hull we did play well and it’s the opening game of the season. No need to micro-analyse that in the context of a season. So that’s a tick from me. 

Millwall was a rollercoaster. You can either cry that we gave up a 2-0 lead, or think we won 4-3 from losing 2-3. Twine off the bench had an immense impact, so that has to be taken into context for the next two. 

Coventry - we gave a good battle to a play off side last season. Could argue we just shaded it. That’s not so bad.  

Today we seemed to have a really good 30 mins. Derby scored against the run of play and we didn’t react well. Too much eagerness and we tried to hard. We became sloppy and the subs were ineffective. 

So basically we’ve seen the full rollercoaster, so more games are needed 

That’s a good analysis. My one concern would be how often we have good 30 minutes or decent halves and so on…. You won’t win many games being poor for large chunks. When did we last put in a solid 90 minute performance? 

• Like 1

If there is one thing for sure, he has been backed and there will be no excuses. Its top 6 or gone IMO. he's not going to get there is he doesn't play our best players in their correct positions.

As has been mentioned, twine should be in the 10, that's what he was signed for. Mehmeti didn't deserve to be dropped as is most effective in the forward left role. Bird should be in the 6 alongside Knight and Williams should be nowhere near a starting role. Bird can be the deep lying playmaker whilst knight can buzz around breaking up play.

Similarly, Sykes should be nowhere near a starting role, he offers nothing of real quality so its like playing with 10 (or 9 if you factor in Williams). In a short spell, Yu already showed more intent than Sykes has done and should ideally be the starting right forward.

Armstrong as much as I like him, also shouldn't be starting up front. Fally is a much better finisher and has better hold up/link up play and should be starting with Armstrong as backup to destroy tired legs later in the game, or to compete with Yu in the right forward role.

Naismith should also be nowhere near a starting role and only wished we moved him on but for Dickies injury. I expect Mcnally to come straight in alongside Vyner next game and not to see Naismith again given the return of Atkinson and Roberts ability to play there also.

Alas, Manning it seems is stubborn, doesn't listen to outside noise, nor does he learn from what he sees on the pitch given he continues to play the same underperforming players every time. Definition of madness, doing the same thing everytime and expecting different results. Those in question (Sykes, Williams, Naismith) simply aren't good enough anymore as our squad have improve beyond their ability levels but they bring us down to their level.

One crappy result and this place goes into meltdown - it’s one defeat that won’t be the last poor result for sure.

On the positive side City have two weeks “on the grass” and Manning has already said that they’ll be working on defending.

In my view they should also work with Armstrong on his finishing. If he could improve that he’d become a serious attacking threat. A second Semenyo if you like.

• Facepalm 3

3 minutes ago, Roe said:

Sounds like Manning might be looking to get back to the "do nothing and hope the other team fall asleep" tactics again soon. So at least we have that to look forward to

I think it will be a back 3 before long.  

Vyner. McNally. Roberts

McCrorie. Knight.  Bird.   Pring

Yu.         Twine

Mayulu 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Just now, Robbored said:

One crappy result and this place goes into meltdown - it’s one defeat that won’t be the last poor result for sure.

On the positive side City have two weeks “on the grass” and Manning has already said that they’ll be working on defending.

In my view they should also work with Armstrong on his finishing. If he could improve that he’d become a serious attacking threat. A second Semenyo if you like.

Read the thread, Robbored. It’s not just one poor result. 
And the other problem is, we generally have a poor result after Manning gets “time on the grass”.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

In my view they should also work with Armstrong on his finishing. If he could improve that he’d become a serious attacking threat. A second Semenyo if 

How long will it take to polish someone who scored 6 in 60 odd championship games? I admit he's strong, physically but does he have the head for it? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

That’s a good analysis. My one concern would be how often we have good 30 minutes or decent halves and so on…. You won’t win many games being poor for large chunks. When did we last put in a solid 90 minute performance? 

I agree. I think our midfield lets us down. Knight and Williams are too combative and a bit eager as a pairing. But I’m not sure Bird back is the answer in either pairing, especiallly as he’s been our best spark but then I still want to see Twine as number 10…  I’m starting to fear imbalance.

I think we needed an old head - what we thought Gary O’Neill would bring - someone who could calm down a young, raw squad when momentum shifts. 

1 minute ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Read the thread, Robbored. It’s not just one poor result. 
And the other problem is, we generally have a poor result after Manning gets “time on the grass”.

This season it is Dastardly. First defeat and until today City had been gradually progressing. Dropping two points at Hull after a reckless challenge. Beating Millwall in a thrilling match at AG before earning a well earned point against a very decent Coventry outfit.

The wheels came off today - it happens. It’s how City respond  that matters now.

• Like 2

Just now, Robbored said:

This season it is Dastardly. First defeat and until today City had been gradually progressing. Dropping two points at Hull after a reckless challenge. Beating Millwall in a thrilling match at AG before earning a well earned point against a very decent Coventry outfit.

The wheels came off today - it happens. It’s how City respond  that matters now.

You can spin the matches either way, to be fair, and I’ve been guilty of spinning them negatively as well.

Fact is, we have one win out of four from what everyone was saying was an easy start to the season.

I don’t see why we’re not allowed to comment on clear trends which continue from last season, and even from what Oxford fans said. 

42 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

On another note, how ridiculous was the decision to bring on Yu with 10 mins left. 
We were never getting back into it and if he’d suffered a recurrence in those ten minutes rather than being given the international break to fully recover, I’d have been even more fuming.

At 2-1 maybe, but at 2-0 it wasn’t worth the risk.

Of all the decisions today it is the one I have the least problem with.

We weren’t coming back & so he gave him his debut when the pressure was off. He showed a couple of clever touches but unsurprisingly also looks a bit lightweight.

FWIW I would have brought Fally on at HT, Armstrong had already missed two very presentable chances & if we got a third I wanted it tucked away.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 4