IGNORED

Utter disgrace Manning (LJ) - you’ve been backed and you serve up that?

3 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Nigel wasn’t backed like this guy! 

Was given a lot of funds last summer, and even then it doesn’t change anything? Fact of the matter is we’ve seen it multiple times under him, Manning may have been backed well but all of those signings have come in over the past month. Those Birmingham games when we got bullied off the park were if anything worse than today

• Haha 4
  • Confused 2
  • Facepalm 7

Just now, Northern Red said:

An awful performance is an awful performance, regardless of "context".

To say we never had any under Nige is an outright lie.

Rubbish with respect, to put context out of the equation.

We were painfully rebuilding for 2 years  painfully. Once we were on more of an even keel the underlying numbers improved clearly.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Was given a lot of funds last summer, and even then it doesn’t change anything? Fact of the matter is we’ve seen it multiple times under him, Manning may have been backed well but all of those signings have come in over the past month. Those Birmingham games when we got bullied off the park were if anything worse than today

Ha ha ha.

A lot of funds.

Set against cutbacks, falling wages and the necessary Profit brought in to clear the prior mess.

• Like 4

Just now, Charlie BCFC said:

Pearson was not “given a lot” of funds last summer. We signed Knight, Dickie and a couple of others but sold Scott and recouped way more than we spent. 

I get tired of the constant Pearson v Manning comparisons and I agree with you it is too early to judge Manning on signings that have just come in but that is no excuse for rewriting history. What you have written is simply not backed up by the facts.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Rubbish with respect, to put context out of the equation.

We were painfully rebuilding for 2 years  painfully. Once we were on more of an even keel the underlying numbers improved clearly.

I know all that, I was one of Nige's biggest supporters on here to the point where I was regularly accused of being overly defensive of him.

None of that context accounts for games like Birmingham away a couple of seasons ago, or West Brom away the season before. And those games happened, despite what some are now trying to claim. They happen under every manager we've ever had and ever will. That's all I'm saying.

Edited by Northern Red
  • Like 5

Just now, Northern Red said:

I know all that, I was one of Nige's biggest supporters on here to the point where I was regularly accused of being overly defensive of him.

None of that context accounts for games like Birmingham away a couple of seasons ago, or West Brom away the season before. And those games happened, despite what some are now trying to claim. That's all I'm saying.

Apolgies yes. WBA 2021-22 was a shocker and yes we had poor games under NP for sure but I think some (not saying you) don't always look at the context etc. WBA I suppose were flying and Year 1 Parachute but I seem to recall Simpson and one other being shocking that day.

5 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Pearson was not “given a lot” of funds last summer. We signed Knight, Dickie and a couple of others but sold Scott and recouped way more than we spent. 

I get tired of the constant Pearson v Manning comparisons and I agree with you it is too early to judge Manning on signings that have just come in but that is no excuse for rewriting history. What you have written is simply not backed up by the facts.

Yeah, the revisionism really irks.

Gonna get onto Twitter and push back against one or two I reckon- forcefully.

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

None of that context accounts for games like Birmingham away a couple of seasons ago, or West Brom away the season before. And those games happened, despite what some are now trying to claim. That's all I'm saying.

Let’s be honest - none of us would have complained if Pearson had gone after West Brom at home on boxing day 2022. There were massive improvements after that and our form at the time wasn’t a fair reflection of the work he was doing but it was poor to a point where most of us had had enough.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

57 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

He’s a young manager learning the ropes with us but if we could all see that needed changing at half time and he couldn’t then it is a hell of a worry,when it’s going well everything is easy but he literally looks lost when making substitutes and when to make them 

The trouble is the last time we backed a manager this well he was also young and learning his trade and spent the next few years paying for it. We love to support young exciting managers yet someone with a proven track record gets shafted with high value sales but no financial backing.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 4

4 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Let’s be honest - none of us would have complained if Pearson had gone after West Brom at home on boxing day 2022. There were massive improvements after that and our form at the time wasn’t a fair reflection of the work he was doing but it was poor to a point where most of us had had enough.

He made a very salient point at that time albeit perhaps an element of trying to protect his position which I get.

Basically said that he was at his weakest point but the Club was at its strongest in his time.

Fwiw,.I didn't think a number did performances prior to and including the 1st half vs WBA Boxing Day 2022 that bad but I also accept I'm a minority there.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

6 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I agree around the comparisons, hence why I called out that this doesn’t happen under Pearson because I’ve seen it a lot! A lot of funds were made available to Pearson admittedly probably not as much as Manning but he’s benefited from the Scott sale due it being a new financial year and us trying not to waste all that money.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3
  • Facepalm 3

Just now, Charlie BCFC said:

I agree around the comparisons, hence why I called out that this doesn’t happen under Pearson because I’ve seen it a lot! A lot of funds were made available to Pearson admittedly probably not as much as Manning but he’s benefited from the Scott sale due it being a new financial year and us trying not to waste all that money.

The best way to look at it is..

% of Fee generated re-invested.

Before we even get into the Wage Savings plus Revenue rises.

(Yes I know some of that went towards FFP).

It is as clear as day that LM is not up to the job.

It has been since day one. People get blinded because he “speaks well”, but he cannot motivate a team and cannot manage in game situations. 

He hasn’t developed a single player from academy to first team across MK Dons, Oxford or here.

His subs are scripted, he doesn’t have a plan B and he’s started to shoehorn players into the side in unnatural positions despite spending over £10m in fees on the squad. Twine’s on the pitch at 2-0 down and we take two short corners rather than relying on our set-piece expert.

If someone can tell me something LM excels at, I’d be impressed. 

• Like 15
  • Flames 3
  • Robin 1

7 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

The trouble is the last time we backed a manager this well he was also young and learning his trade and spent the next few years paying for it. We love to support young exciting managers yet someone with a proven track record gets shafted with high value sales but no financial backing.

I get the feeling Manning is a lot more intelligent than Johnson, think he goes into a lot of detail and speaks a lot better than Johnson. Also think the football is a lot more free flowing, even today there was one really good move that led to the Twine chance in the first half. Rarely ever seen football like that from us

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

49 minutes ago, Capman said:

For me it’s not about Manning. The board should have seen that the club had great potential last season. The squad clear out had been achieved, there was money from the sale of academy players bought through the first team by a talented bunch of coaches. The board decided that they wanted to gamble that good position on a young manager rather than sticking to their previous plan. That gamble pays off, the board are heroes. But if that gamble fails the board have squandered three years of hard work seemingly for no better reason than a personal vendetta. I suggest if Manning does not get the club into the playoffs, this season, the board should go. I accept they are probably too spineless to take responsibility, but that is clearly where responsibility rests. 

I agree with your comments but unfortunately there is a problem with the bit I’ve highlighted. In reality there is no board in the traditional sense. It consists of one person - Steve Lansdown. It’s his club and he’ll do what he likes so unless he can find a buyer he’s going to go on running the club in the same old way and keep on making the same old mistakes 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Is it? He was in charge for the majority of last season and steered us to 11th, our highest finish since 2019.

Please explain what is so "clear"?

All of what I said above. He can’t manage a game, doesn’t develop youth, all subs are scripted, we’re dreadful in second halves.

Tell me something he excels at.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Let’s be honest - none of us would have complained if Pearson had gone after West Brom at home on boxing day 2022

Definitely not true.  Lots could see what he was doing and what he was up against. 

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I agree with your comments but unfortunately there is a problem with the bit I’ve highlighted. In reality there is no board in the traditional sense. It consists of one person - Steve Lansdown. It’s his club and he’ll do what he likes so unless he can find a buyer he’s going to go on running the club in the same old way and keep on making the same old mistakes 

I can't remember the poster, might have been you who said SL said something like he likes to run things with a Committee of One- himself.

That quote periodically sticks in the mind.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

He’s a young manager learning the ropes with us but if we could all see that needed changing at half time and he couldn’t then it is a hell of a worry,when it’s going well everything is easy but he literally looks lost when making substitutes and when to make them 

Sorry but he wasn’t brought into be “young manager learning the ropes” he was brought in to improve us.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

It is as clear as day that LM is not up to the job.

It has been since day one. People get blinded because he “speaks well”, but he cannot motivate a team and cannot manage in game situations. 

He hasn’t developed a single player from academy to first team across MK Dons, Oxford or here.

His subs are scripted, he doesn’t have a plan B and he’s started to shoehorn players into the side in unnatural positions despite spending over £10m in fees on the squad. Twine’s on the pitch at 2-0 down and we take two short corners rather than relying on our set-piece expert.

If someone can tell me something LM excels at, I’d be impressed. 

Interesting you’re so certain that Manning isn’t the answer but you’ve waited till today to post anything about it? 🧐

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

All of what I said above. He can’t manage a game, doesn’t develop youth, all subs are scripted, we’re dreadful in second halves.

Tell me something he excels at.

Millwall subs were pretty good and changed the game though?

7 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

I get the feeling Manning is a lot more intelligent than Johnson, think he goes into a lot of detail and speaks a lot better than Johnson. Also think the football is a lot more free flowing, even today there was one really good move that led to the Twine chance in the first half. Rarely ever seen football like that from us

I think Manning is Johnson reincarnated 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I can't remember the poster, might have been you who said SL said something like he likes to run things with a Committee of One- himself.

That quote periodically sticks in the mind.

It was me. He said it at a pub in Derby when he did a Q & A session before the match. This was a few years ago when he spoke more to the supporters 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Is it? He was in charge for the majority of last season and steered us to 11th, our highest finish since 2019.

Please explain what is so "clear"?

So he’s marginally better than 3 managers that got sacked? That’s quite a low bar when we’re talking Lee Johnson who’s failed everywhere since, Dean Holden…, or NP where context has to be taken into account but who certainly can point to revenue generated vs marginal improvement in league position. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

It was me. He said it at a pub in Derby when he did a Q & A session before the match. This was a few years ago when he spoke more to the supporters 

Thanks I thought so.

The funny funny thing (well you have to laugh or you'd cry) is that under NP he and we had a manager who q as slowly improving us and fulfilling a good chunk of of his wishes outlined in his 2013 interview.

He spoke of Youth, he spoke of the odd future International, he spoke of giving players a chance. You need to add some quality and craft of course but we had it in spades!

I forgot to add, the correct integration/re-integration of Max, Vyner and Pring.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Not after a total rehaul of the squad and several multi million pound purchases.

How do you know the same wouldn’t happen? Manning’s signings have been there for a month at most and Pearson has been hammered in multiple games, games where the team was more than good enough

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 2

24 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Achieving league positions the last two managers haven't managed?

So nothing, then. 

20 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Interesting you’re so certain that Manning isn’t the answer but you’ve waited till today to post anything about it? 🧐

Did you not see my post after two games, called “The Last Fifteen Games”, where I shared the exact same concerns then.

I’ve been consistent on this for a long time.

• Hmmm 1

Now we have a bit more depth in the squad it is going to test Manning's man management skills. It is a different kettle of fish to patting the Academy lads on the head and telling them to keep at it when they don't get on the field.

I'm slightly worried by his apparent preference to bring in players he already knows. Plus the fact he refers to players by their nicknames e.g. 'naisey'. Being too pally with the players maybe leads to him trying to keep them happy rather than do what the team needs.

All guesswork of course and probably only really gets tested if we go on a bad run.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

How do you know the same wouldn’t happen? Manning’s signings have been there for a month at most and Pearson has been hammered in multiple games, games where the team was more than good enough

Pearson wouldn't have needed to completely overhaul the squad. Changes were being made gradually within budget. Not sure what your point is really.

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, Out of his pie crust said:

Yeah but it’s the champ fella. Chances are we scrape a win then draw, meanwhile derby lose and win

Yes anyone can beat anyone. Except if you play like that week in week out you lose many more than you win.

• Like 3

4 points from the next 2 would ease a few concerns.

Point at Blackburn, win at Oxford and hope one or two more return from injury, maybe again the new young strikers get a goal or 2 between them just to buy time as they acclimatise.

1 minute ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Still standing by my prediction that we’ll be on 14 points or less after 14 games.

What a huge failure that would be.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Still standing by my prediction that we’ll be on 14 points or less after 14 games.

Really hope we are on more than that.   This stint of games needs to be capitalised upon as the next set are looking extremely tricky!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Charlie BCFC said:

YEs.  We waited a year or so to spend the money.  Time will tell if we wasted it...  There are a lot of promising types.  Nothing proven.  The promising need to become progressive quickly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, myol'man said:

For all of us who were at Stoke for the last game last season, we could see this coming. 

Lose at Blackburn and then Oxford becomes Mannings first "must win" match 

Yep was there that day and it was dog shit horrendous.   But he had the excuse that it was the last game of the season - not an excuse I buy at all - but an excuse to many nonetheless.  This time around there are none.   

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Some so called fans on here are a total joke

Dont deserve a championship team to watch

God some people are so entitled these days

We can see a risk of similar patterns.

We can reach a certain point but not beyond and there are failings higher up that limit this progress or can see it falter.

I'd say Constructive Criticism and analysis is imperative tbh. We have the base to be better run and therefore enhance our prospects.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We can reach a certain point but not beyond and there are failings higher up that limit this progress or can see it falter.

I'd say Constructive Criticism and analysis is imperative tbh. We have the base to be better run and therefore enhance our prospects.

I’d say that, on paper, the players we have could well be a squad that could achieve top 6. The club’s being let down in other areas and these players aren’t achieving what they could.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, archie andrews said:

Would you rather 17/18 style or this load of shite?.... 

We only played well for a few months during that season which ended when Diedou came back from injury. We lost all the one touch, interchanging and movement then. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dastardly and Muttley said:

I’d say that, on paper, the players we have could well be a squad that could achieve top 6. The club’s being let down in other areas and these players aren’t achieving what they could.

I'm not sure about Top 6 this year given the age range in places but mostly agree- I'd say 8th to 10th with a meaningful play-off tilt deep into the season wouldn't be unreasonable.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Some so called fans on here are a total joke

Dont deserve a championship team to watch

God some people are so entitled these days

Fancy expecting to see a decent performance and a team actually having a good start to the season. 

So entitled. We should all expect it to be rubbish and be grateful.

Football Manager fans, all of us.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Constructive Criticism  is fine 

But so many on here just slag the club off for everything and anything

Not to worry

They wont be on here next week IF we win

• Facepalm 2

1 minute ago, Maltshoveller said:

Not to worry

We aren't playing next week so I doubt it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Not to worry

We ain’t winning next week that’s for sure. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Not to worry

The thing is a lot of these fans who perhaps aren't so happy aren't just say young fans who have seen us in the Championship mainly and a really well developed new ground, they're long standing who have seen us in worse positions on and off the pitch.

Speaking for myself only, it doesn't feel as if we are pushing and striving at all times to be the very best we can in all areas as a club. It's something intangible and certainly not solely spending based.

For the record my first year was Benny, first game in fact and 8 years in League One in a significantly undeveloped ground..

• Like 2

I said in a transfer thread that he has his own players, had a pre season with the team and now it's time we see a difference. Wasn't it front foot football promised or something? I agree with the OP that there's an air of LJ about him, all words, over complication, a bit soft etc. 

I'll be willing to give him a dozen or so games to get playing that way but after that he's got to be under pressure. 

One thing we lacked last season was pace in the team. With that added to a very good defence we'd have been near the playoffs. So maybe not too much tweaking was needed. I'm probably in a minority but i do appreciate a good defence which so far this season isn't as good which is a worry especially if the attacking play isn't clicking/working. 

• Like 1