IGNORED

Utter disgrace Manning (LJ) - you’ve been backed and you serve up that?

20 minutes ago, BLRed said:

Armstrong as much as I like him, also shouldn't be starting up front. Fally is a much better finisher and has better hold up/link up play and should be starting with Armstrong as backup to destroy tired legs later in the game, or to compete with Yu in the right forward role.

I am a big fan of Armstrong and I think the battering he gives for 60’ compliments Fally. 

Fally I think is going to take some acclimatising. He’s clearly got quick feet and a quick mind, and knows where the back of the net is. I’m not sure I agree on his hold up/link up. I think that’s where he’s weakest; but can improve upon with acclimatising. 

He reminds me of Tomlin in many ways. He’ll score from no-where, or make a few good flair flicks which may come off, but not have much influence. 

I would like to see them both start. If that means Well’s is our back up CF so be it. 

Edited by 38MC

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Of all the decisions today it is the one I have the least problem with.

We weren’t coming back & so he gave him his debut when the pressure was off. He showed a couple of clever touches but unsurprisingly also looks a bit lightweight.

FWIW I would have brought Fally on at HT, Armstrong had already missed two very presentable chances & if we got a third I wanted it tucked away.

I suppose, it just felt like one of those days where nothing was going our way and I was just waiting for a Yu injury to top it off. I wouldn’t have risked it.

That was dreadful today, Im not a Manning fan and for me it's plain he is out of his depth in the Championship.

What is clear is that he will not be accepted by a large amount of posters on this board, until he's gone then the ghost of NP will not be laid to rest.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, M.D said:

That was dreadful today, Im not a Manning fan and for me it's plain he is out of his depth in the Championship.

What is clear is that he will not be accepted by a large amount of posters on this board, until he's gone then the ghost of NP will not be laid to rest.

Tbh.

If Manning wins and wins again and wins and wins and wins, the majority of fans will be grateful to NP but it will be All hail King Manning (IMO).

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Flames 2

4 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I've said this a million times, we should not be a training ground for people to learn on the job. I wish this club had a bit more self respect and actually treat the managers job at this fine club with the respect it deserves. 

👏👏👏👏

• Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

18 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

How long will it take to polish someone who scored 6 in 60 odd championship games? I admit he's strong, physically but does he have the head for it? 

IMO City signed Armstrong on the basis that Semenyo was a big powerful player who couldn’t hit a barn door with a banjo who then suddenly developed and became a goal scoring forward. Therefore, Tinnion / Manning’s logic is Armstrong will do the same. He might do or he might not. It’s just a low cost punt as with other signings. Some pay off and some don’t. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, pongo88 said:

IMO City signed Armstrong on the basis that Semenyo was a big powerful player who couldn’t hit a barn door with a banjo who then suddenly developed and became a goal scoring forward. Therefore, Tinnion / Manning’s logic is Armstrong will do the same. He might do or he might not. It’s just a low cost punt as with other signings. Some pay off and some don’t. 

Set aside the clear fact that Armstrong will reach no where near Semenyo's level...

At no stage of Semenyo's earlier development did he play alone up top as our central striker with maximum responsibility for goalscoring.

I don't even dislike Armstrong, he is what he is and a few of his missed chances were created by him being so fast and strong. But I am totally against him being signed to played as main central striker. If he had been signed to play left sided forward instead of Bell or Mehmeti (as Semenyo did) with a centre forward inside then that would have been fine

• Like 6

2 hours ago, east sussex red said:

Yes it was dreadful today but its one defeat in 4 games and the next game will show us if Manning is able to address that issue and improve us.

That's short term, but in the long term, surely we have to judge him after 10 or so games...not just this one.

As someone else mentioned - we’ve all watched football long enough to know when a manager is out of his depth. 

This is Lee Johnson all over again and I can’t believe we are going down the same failed route we went down with him 

He wanted “time on the grass” - he has had it 

He wanted backing - he got it 

I’d say we are at best - the same as we were before he came in. There has been zero improvement 

in fact - some players have regressed 

Get him gone before another season is wasted 

• Like 9
  • Facepalm 1

Talk about an overreaction. We are 4 games in having to bed in new players. The 2nd half was very poor as LM acknowledged and he needs to seriously think about the make-up of the back 4 or 3 but let's see how the team reacts at Blackburn before we start slitting wrists or hanging people from the yard arm. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 38MC said:

I agree. I think our midfield lets us down. Knight and Williams are too combative and a bit eager as a pairing. But I’m not sure Bird back is the answer in either pairing, especiallly as he’s been our best spark but then I still want to see Twine as number 10…  I’m starting to fear imbalance.

I think we needed an old head - what we thought Gary O’Neill would bring - someone who could calm down a young, raw squad when momentum shifts. 

Right now I’d have Matt James in there in a heartbeat. 

I think you’re right about imbalance. Too many clubs in the bag. I might be alone but I really don’t think we needed Twine. I prefer Bird’s energy at ten.  Twine is not going to give us the width and pace/power we need on the left. 

32 minutes ago, M.D said:

I think that’s a bit reductive. Like you, I’m unconvinced by Manning, but it’s purely based on his own merits and performance. I didn’t agree with the decision to sack Pearson but acknowledge it was the boards decision. 

My issue is more that we were pretty much presented with footballing Jesus by the board. And he isn’t even a decent priest so far. But if he performs, it matters not a jot who was in charge before. 

To date, he hasn’t performed. And that’s the bottom line. And I’ll hold my thoughts until October here as he asked for time on the grass, and got his players - whether deserved or not - and we need to see how that comes together. But he’ll be accepted or not be accepted by me - and most here - based on his performance alone.

• Like 2

Terrible result. Really has to be unacceptable to serve that **** up.

Players have to look at themselves, especially defensively, and clear mistakes from Manning. 

Have to have a reaction to this. We should not be losing so heavily to a team just promoted. 

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

I think it will be a back 3 before long.  

Vyner. McNally. Roberts

McCrorie. Knight.  Bird.   Pring

Yu.         Twine

Mayulu 

Like the look of that team 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

.I don’t see why we’re not allowed to comment on clear trends which continue from last season, 

Nobody dictates what we can or cannot post on here - this is a forum after all. However……some balance to a poor performance and result would be more helpful - better than the knee jerk reaction that we see.

No team can put in top performances game after game and today the game plan just didn’t come off - it happens.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, M.D said:

What a pathetic post.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Right now I’d have Matt James in there in a heartbeat. 

I think you’re right about imbalance. Too many clubs in the bag. I might be alone but I really don’t think we needed Twine. I prefer Bird’s energy at ten.  Twine is not going to give us the width and pace/power we need on the left. 

I've said it before but us released Matty James was a huge mistake. He absolutely ran our midfield last year and was just that voice in the middle which we don't have.

And I know this is going to sound like I'm bashing LM but under NP everyone knew their role and where they should be. There were so many times today players got in the way of each other or passes not going to players or people being out of position (the amount of times defenders were left one-on-one was shocking).

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BetterRedthanBlue said:

I've said it before but us released Matty James was a huge mistake. He absolutely ran our midfield last year and was just that voice in the middle which we don't have.

And I know this is going to sound like I'm bashing LM but under NP everyone knew their role and where they should be. There were so many times today players got in the way of each other or passes not going to players or people being out of position (the amount of times defenders were left one-on-one was shocking).

We’ve lost three voices in Weimann, King and James. Weimann has been brilliant for Blackburn so far as well. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

We’ve lost three voices in Weimann, King and James. Weimann has been brilliant for Blackburn so far as well. 

I don’t think anyone thought any of those players would take the club forward, good players as they may be, changes were needed.

The signings we have made, I think the majority of the supporters would be happy with - the way we are playing is a bit of a worry. Letting in 8 in 4 games is not great and puts pressure on us going forward. I think the squad is strong enough to get top 10, and should be with the amount spent in recent weeks compared to the recent few seasons, but whether LM had the minerals to produce is the question…

Edited by jiggers58
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

4 minutes ago, jiggers58 said:

No

I don’t think anyone thought any of those players would take the club forward, good players as they may be, changes were needed.

The signings we have made, I think the majority of the supporters would be happy with - the way we are playing is a bit of a worry. Letting in 8 in 4 games is not great and puts pressure on us going forward. I think the squad is strong enough to get top 10, and should be with the amount spent in recent weeks compared to the recent few seasons, but whether LM had the minerals to produce is the question…

Hmm..Think a squad needs a balance

Why e.g. could we not have kept King as a coach and James as an elder statesman, the latter gradually fading into the background like King.

Weimann there is less of a case for but young strikers can earn a lot from a player like him, especially if they like Armstrong can go wider and a bit central.

We have a range of young to youngish midfielders and strikers FFS. These are perfect role models.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Tbh.

If Manning wins and wins again and wins and wins and wins, the majority of fans will be grateful to NP but it will be All hail King Manning (IMO).

They will, I hope the guy turns out the goods.  Because the alternative is we've signed a lot of players backing him that just don't work.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hmm..Think a squad needs a balance

Why e.g. could we not have kept King as a coach and James as an elder statesman, the latter gradually fading into the background like King.

Weimann there is less of a case for but young strikers can earn a lot from a player like him, especially if they like Armstrong can go wider and a bit central.

But then it’s balancing the books - I have no idea what they were on but having high earners as bit players doesn’t really work - we already have Wells?

1 minute ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

They will, I hope the guy turns out the goods.  Because the alternative is we've signed a lot of players backing him that just don't work.

Yes agreed.

An improving and successful Manning means an improving and successful Bristol City and that is what we all want.

• Like 2

Just now, jiggers58 said:

But then it’s balancing the books - I have no idea what they were on but having high earners as bit players doesn’t really work - we already have Wells?

They were not notably high earners. They joined during an era of austerity. Your objection to King as a coach?

Wells negotiated a lower deal for longer in 2022, which assisted our FFP compliance.

We will make a loss, but we are well clear of FFP.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

They were not notably high earners. They joined during an era of austerity. Your objection to King as a coach?

Wells negotiated a lower deal for longer in 2022, which assisted our FFP compliance.

We will make a loss, but we are well clear of FFP.

My point is we have an experienced player in Wells so that would have been the choice between him and Weimann (for what it’s worth I am a fan of both).

Do we really know what King brought to the club and what we are missing now? The coaches in place should adequately cover that role and no one needs baby sitting. The money is better spent on the playing staff  - those employed to play rather than those that make the changing room jolly….

• Hmmm 2

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Nobody dictates what we can or cannot post on here - this is a forum after all. However……some balance to a poor performance and result would be more helpful - better than the knee jerk reaction that we see.

No team can put in top performances game after game and today the game plan just didn’t come off - it happens.

It’s not knee-jerk. I’ve been steadfast in my criticism of Manning, and the reasons hold true game after game after game. 
I’d wager Tinnion and Jon aren’t sleeping too comfortably tonight.

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think that’s a bit reductive. Like you, I’m unconvinced by Manning, but it’s purely based on his own merits and performance. I didn’t agree with the decision to sack Pearson but acknowledge it was the boards decision. 

My issue is more that we were pretty much presented with footballing Jesus by the board. And he isn’t even a decent priest so far. But if he performs, it matters not a jot who was in charge before. 

To date, he hasn’t performed. And that’s the bottom line. And I’ll hold my thoughts until October here as he asked for time on the grass, and got his players - whether deserved or not - and we need to see how that comes together. But he’ll be accepted or not be accepted by me - and most here - based on his performance alone.

This immediately came to mind:

15 minutes ago, jiggers58 said:

My point is we have an experienced player in Wells so that would have been the choice between him and Weimann (for what it’s worth I am a fan of both).

Do we really know what King brought to the club and what we are missing now? The coaches in place should adequately cover that role and no one needs baby sitting. The money is better spent on the playing staff  - those employed to play rather than those that make the changing room jolly….

Weimann has played at a higher level than Wells but I'm fine with Wells as an older head.

Ha! Our coaching infrastructure..mates of Tinnion and Jon Lansdown by the looks.

King is an International who has won titles at various levels , he managed his fitness deep into his career. He has played CL and a major tournament, he also cares about the club as unlike perhaps some former players there now he was a FAN a PAYING FAN.

If you want to look at jobs for the ******* boys..

*Jon Lansdown- Useless

*Brian Tinnion- Wrong position

*Matt Hewlett?

*Mickey Bell?

Any others.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Weimann has played at a higher level than Wells nut I'm fine with Wells as a 

Ha! Our coaching infrastructure..mates of Tinnion and Jon Lansdown by the looks.

King is an International who has won titles at various levels , he managed his fitness deep into his career. He has played CL and a major tournament, he also cares about the club as unlike perhaps some former players there now he was a FAN a PAYING FAN.

If you want to look at jobs for the ******* boys..

*Jon Lansdown- Useless

*Brian Tinnion- Wrong position

*Matt Hewlett?

*Mickey Bell?

Any others.

You missed the point - our coaching staff SHOULD cover those positions, I’m not saying they do, just like any business you cannot double up on wages/positions for the sake of having nice to haves. 

• Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, jiggers58 said:

You missed the point - our coaching staff SHOULD cover those positions, I’m not saying they do, just like any business you cannot double up on wages/positions for the sake of having nice to haves. 

I'd argue King is superior to some of these weighted for position, his experience and know-how or Matty Hewlett, Dean Gerken etc?

It's got nothing to do with nice to have, it is improving on a culture with a ceiling. Or should be.

Just now, jiggers58 said:

If you are referring to me - back up what? 

"Do we really know what King brought to the club and what we are missing now? The coaches in place should adequately cover that role and no one needs baby sitting. The money is better spent on the playing staff  - those employed to play rather than those that make the changing room jolly…."

If you think the Club were badly embellishing the truth please elaborate.

See the two quotes.

Cam was screaming for options wide left in the first half, acres of space yet not one of ours could be arsed to fill that space.

Derby then thought, sod the right back then, move into midfield. Game over!

Basic stuff and we never recovered.

Dreadful performance and so, so avoidable.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

"Do we really know what King brought to the club and what we are missing now? The coaches in place should adequately cover that role and no one needs baby sitting. The money is better spent on the playing staff  - those employed to play rather than those that make the changing room jolly…."

If you think the Club were badly embellishing the truth please elaborate.

See the two quotes.

I was not referring to King specifically in respect of the  ‘Jolly’ point, just a general point that our club, and others, have done this over and over, retaining players because they are good to have round the changing room, 

You obviously have a very strong view on the matter regarding king - which to be honest I don’t. 

This will sound really shit and perhaps not something I mean deep down.

However some of our fans, those who embellish the truth, revisionists, believe any old shit by certain influential City fans with a questionable take at best deserve us going round and round, hitting glass ceilings etc.

4 minutes ago, jiggers58 said:

I was not referring to King specifically in respect of the  ‘Jolly’ point, just a general point that our club, and others, have done this over and over, retaining players because they are good to have round the changing room, 

You obviously have a very strong view on the matter regarding king - which to be honest I don’t. 

That is your view, what evidence do we have that..

*Jon Lansdown

*Brian Tinnion

*Varied former players on the Coaching Staff

Are fit for purpose in their present position.

Hey if you're happy with mediocrity as you seem to be, suck it up- decent chunks of our fans seem to be. 🤷‍♂️

I see what you are getting at but our present policies won't progress us.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

But it ended up 3-0 and should have been more? Quite a difference mate

Tbh I think if we score first there is a reasonable chance we win, the game situation, us from a position of strength being able to hit on the break as the away side etc.

However we didn't and the 2nd half was downright alarming although had we got the penalty at 1-0, perhaps the dial moves again. Still score first and there is a reasonable chance we win.

7 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

I’ll caveat this with I’m not Manning out. And I suspect a few who are won’t be tomorrow, people are rightly angry this afternoon after that shower of **** we just paid to watch.

But the Club couldn’t really sack him if they wanted to. They threw a 3.5 year contract his way, so would have to cough up 2.5 years salary to him and Hogg. After a pricey summer, not really an option. 

November 2023, 3.5 Year deal takes him up to Summer 2027.

All but 3 years really. (Short of any Performance Related Payoff stuff).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fuber said:

*for his first two seasons in charge.

Then he thought he was Mourinho after the cup run and it all went tits up as he though he could tactically outthink the opposition.

I thought a bit of 2018-19 was okay, bits of it..that 2.5-3 month unbeaten run propelled us plus a mini Cup run. Football at times was okay during it IMO.

Not a clue what he was trying for most of 2019-20?? Will we ever know.

7 hours ago, marksy said:

I didn’t see that coming. Loosing 3:0 is a poor result whoever you play but especially against a team that will most probably finish in the bottom half of the table. 
let’s hope it was a bad day at the office and a wake up call!

Just a quick one, it's LOSING. I'm not the grammar police but this mistake is made a lot on this forum.

Spoiler

Edited by pillred
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In his final season we lost to a very good Bielsa led Leeds side on the Opening day as they proved over the year and while Bamford fit in the PL.

We lost to them and were outplayed, overloaded in CM and we seemed to shit the bed.

Nagy, Massengo, Williams In

Afobe, Pereira Loaned In.

Pack Out.

Paterson Loaned Out.

Hindsight etc.

LOAN:

*Pereira- IN

*Afobe- IN

Perm

*ONE of Nagy, Massengo

Plus a CB younger than Williams.

Keep Pack, consider options on Paterson.

4 hours ago, harvey54 said:

"Should have been 2-0 up and out of sight".

Smacks of everything that is wrong with recruitment at this club. It's not rocket science.

WE NEED A GOALSCORER!!

Been crying out for one since Tammy and it's never been addressed. 

**** Twine, **** a number 10. Spend big on a goalscorer. 

This is what happens when you've got muppets running a football club. 

Recruitment been hit and miss, few players shouldn't be near first team and out of depth as much as Manning

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Worth remembering that Semenyo only really got going in a major way in late 2021. A season in which Assists exceeded Goals. 

Think he turned 22 in January 2022? He really got motoring when he passed that point.

Because he had Pearson. I’m sure there is a 100 page thread on how the boy was crap on here before then

Let me know if I’m wrong. 

Said from beginning NP know the leauge and how to play our team, from the players we have. Manning from leauge one. Done is  done and i really hope our Club and Manning in charge will be sucsessful. Yesterdays game in mind is not hopeful. Know we lick our wounds and have a wake upp call. Early days but yesterday showed the difference, Derbys manager and ours. 

8 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Semenyo was plucked from College football -

Armstrong already has how much pro experience before arriving on these shores??? - a fair old bit.

To me he's lacking a football brain & instilling that won't be easy!

Tinnion et al need to stop throwing mud at the wall.

Edited by Son of Fred
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Mendip City said:

Agree. Over coached? He used to be a positive incisive player. Not now. 

I kind of agree that he doesn’t look as good.  One thing is that he’s lost a bit of pace -  has not been as quick since that injury.  I wonder if the main issue though is that he’s being asked to do too much.  Especially with Twine in front of him, but also Mehmeti, he is left pretty exposed on that side and has a lot of ground to cover to defend against attacks while also providing an attacking threat himself.  Having Dickie there helps, but with Naismith alongside him that area is pretty vulnerable 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

It is as clear as day that LM is not up to the job.

It has been since day one. People get blinded because he “speaks well”, but he cannot motivate a team and cannot manage in game situations. 

He hasn’t developed a single player from academy to first team across MK Dons, Oxford or here.

His subs are scripted, he doesn’t have a plan B and he’s started to shoehorn players into the side in unnatural positions despite spending over £10m in fees on the squad. Twine’s on the pitch at 2-0 down and we take two short corners rather than relying on our set-piece expert.

If someone can tell me something LM excels at, I’d be impressed. 

He’s an excellent sleeping pill.

• Haha 1

Harsh to be in on LM already, but maybe if this type of performance happens often then knives may sharpen.

I think I posted on OTIB around Feb/March time and said his style won't work with City because the personnel we have aren't good enough to play a passing progressive game. My worry was games like yesterday really, we'd just get physically outmuscled and battered. I've seen it before here.

This style works when you have Premier League level players (Leicester, Southampton and Burnley all played football from the back). Massive concern for me LM will not change a game because he is too entrenched into his philosophy. In the Championship sometimes you have to adapt.

16 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

We are all fuming at that limp wristed performance tbh but to bring up Pearson and then LJ,just let it go let it go :laugh:

True the talk of johnson is idiotic shite manager failed everywhere hes gone and ran out of Bullshit.

12 hours ago, BLRed said:

If there is one thing for sure, he has been backed and there will be no excuses. Its top 6 or gone IMO. he's not going to get there is he doesn't play our best players in their correct positions.

As has been mentioned, twine should be in the 10, that's what he was signed for. Mehmeti didn't deserve to be dropped as is most effective in the forward left role. Bird should be in the 6 alongside Knight and Williams should be nowhere near a starting role. Bird can be the deep lying playmaker whilst knight can buzz around breaking up play.

Similarly, Sykes should be nowhere near a starting role, he offers nothing of real quality so its like playing with 10 (or 9 if you factor in Williams). In a short spell, Yu already showed more intent than Sykes has done and should ideally be the starting right forward.

Armstrong as much as I like him, also shouldn't be starting up front. Fally is a much better finisher and has better hold up/link up play and should be starting with Armstrong as backup to destroy tired legs later in the game, or to compete with Yu in the right forward role.

Naismith should also be nowhere near a starting role and only wished we moved him on but for Dickies injury. I expect Mcnally to come straight in alongside Vyner next game and not to see Naismith again given the return of Atkinson and Roberts ability to play there also.

Alas, Manning it seems is stubborn, doesn't listen to outside noise, nor does he learn from what he sees on the pitch given he continues to play the same underperforming players every time. Definition of madness, doing the same thing everytime and expecting different results. Those in question (Sykes, Williams, Naismith) simply aren't good enough anymore as our squad have improve beyond their ability levels but they bring us down to their level.

In general I agree that he needs to be playing players in their positions.  Not doing so throws the balance of the team out, and we look vulnerable as soon as the opposition work out how to get at us, particularly down that left side.  

Twine at number 10, 2 from Bird, Williams and Knight in the middle - I don’t see any issue rotating there a bit, it’s a long season.  Bird btw was terrible yesterday, perhaps partly because he was being played out of position.  Sykes for me has looked better since Yu arrived, he’s clearly battling for his place and he does give some cover to Tanner down that right side.  He also arrives at the far post and can chip in with goals from there.   Mehmeti is such a frustratingly inconsistent player and I wouldn’t start him, but maybe he deserves a place on the bench to bring something different later in games.  That’s a bit of a problem position I think and we need some new quality there but maybe Robert’s can offer something there in the meantime?

Agree that Naismith is terrible in a back 4.  Cultured footballer but makes some crazy passing decisions, his positioning isn’t great, and he just gets beaten far too easily.   Just hope that Dickie recovers quickly or we can start reintegrating Atkinson very soon, or preferably both.  

Thanks for the post on football by the way, refreshing to read something that’s not wanging on still about effing Peasrson - yawn.  

Look it was SHIT the players know it was SHIT and we have to start clearing our lines , we’re not good enough to play football from the back and if we are going to stop shipping goals we have to go a little more direct and when fit play with twin centre halves , dickie and mcnally then play full backs that can carry ball forward, tanner and Robert’s 1 holding in front back 4 Williams   IMO this would strengthen us  but the players know when their poor and boy they were yesterday against a team in first 25 minutes couldn’t live with us but if you don’t shoot you don’t score and end of day could of been 5-0 at least 

I believe the solution is a very simple one staring everyone, including Manning, in the face

Round pegs in round holes, square pegs in square holes!

Stop shoe horning people in the team not in their preferred (often best) position

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, SouthS22 said:

Those in question (Sykes, Williams, Naismith) simply aren't good enough anymore as our squad have improve beyond their ability levels but they bring us down to their level.

But Williams has just been given and signed a new three year contract? Couple that with Liam installing JK as club captain, then he’s caused himself a bit of a dilemma as to who he should bench and who he should play alongside MB, who I’m guessing by his immediate positive impact has caught Liam a bit by surprise. The absolute priority for the selected defensive midfield pairing is to do their job breaking up play and better protecting the back four, and personally for that task I’d have JW on the pitch alongside MB in his correct position everyday of the week ahead of JK.

53 minutes ago, Topper 123 said:

Look it was SHIT the players know it was SHIT and we have to start clearing our lines , we’re not good enough to play football from the back and if we are going to stop shipping goals we have to go a little more direct and when fit play with twin centre halves , dickie and mcnally then play full backs that can carry ball forward, tanner and Robert’s 1 holding in front back 4 Williams   IMO this would strengthen us  but the players know when their poor and boy they were yesterday against a team in first 25 minutes couldn’t live with us but if you don’t shoot you don’t score and end of day could of been 5-0 at least 

Well, they’ve signed the wrong players for the wrong head-coach then…haven't they?

Gonna cost SL some money to fix if you're right!

50 minutes ago, frenchred said:

I believe the solution is a very simple one staring everyone, including Manning, in the face

Round pegs in round holes, square pegs in square holes!

Stop shoe horning people in the team not in their preferred (often best) position

…and be prepared to own difficult selection issues.

• Like 3

We've seen glimpses of what this team are capable of and it's very encouraging.

At the moment they are only glimpses, nowhere near consistent enough, but it's there. Hopefully as the new players settle in and find their feet the consistency will come and we'll be absolutely fine. I'm not concerned at this moment in time.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Topper 123 said:

Had Derby been a bit more fortunate and deservedly tanked us 6-nil, the alarm bells would have been clanging a lot louder than they are now.

I honestly don't think the 3-0 will be the brain-piercing wake up call that Manning, Tinnion and Lansdown really need.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I thought a bit of 2018-19 was okay, bits of it..that 2.5-3 month unbeaten run propelled us plus a mini Cup run. Football at times was okay during it IMO.

Not a clue what he was trying for most of 2019-20?? Will we ever know.

Think you're forgetting performance fall off during/after the cup run ended. Things generally (performance wise) got worse after the Wolves 3-2(?) Loss?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fuber said:

Think you're forgetting performance fall off during/after the cup run ended. Things generally (performance wise) got worse after the Wolves 3-2(?) Loss?

1-0 v Wolves in 2019 FA Cup.

Yeah performances did slump albeit there were some good and bad ones and some of the officiating against us was terrible- Aston Villa Away and Derby at Home stand out.

Also think not signing one more bona fide CM in Janaury 2019 was an error as we played Pack and Brownhill into the ground and Korey had recurring injuries.

If we are talking 2018, our up to Wolves at Home and or Cup game ethos steadily faded from view, slowly at first then abruptly.

*Elements of it

*QPR Home 11v11

*Bolton Away- some bits but not others.

*Sunderland Home 1st Half

*Leeds Away 1st Half

*Arguably Fulham Home

*Sheffield Wednesday Home 1st Half

Thereafter? Not at all. Some high scoring games yes but some of that style and control vanished fully.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

1-0 v Wolves in 2019 FA Cup.

Yeah performances did slump albeit there were some good and bad ones and some of the officiating against us was terrible- Aston Villa Away and Derby at Home stand out.

Also think not signing one more bona fide CM in Janaury 2019 was an error as we played Pack and Brownhill into the ground and Korey had recurring injuries.

Wolves game I'm recalling was defo a League game.

Think FF came flying off his line and Bennett scored a 90th minute header?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Wolves game I'm recalling was defo a League game.

Think FF came flying off his line and Bennett scored a 90th minute header?

That's the one Yeah.

Was a pivotal game, had we won our confidence would've surfrf IMO and Wolves would've had a bit of a dent.

Like I say though we retained elements of the Progressive play in some of the following..even Norwich at Home we were dominant in some respects and perhaps a bit unlucky.

By coincidence, our 2018-19 also begun to regress after the Wolves FA Cup loss.