IGNORED

FBC Podcast: DERBY [A] the verdict ..... bad day at the office as City crumble at Pride Park

headhunter

Just now, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Cheer up folks...in another universe we could be Everton. 2 up, 86 minutes in the board....how Bristol City of them 

I’d take that, we would be in the Premier League. 😆 

Watched the last few minutes of Everton Bournemouth. It was hilarious and Semenyo got me some fantasy points too!

• Flames 1

15 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I’d take that, we would be in the Premier League. 😆 

Watched the last few minutes of Everton Bournemouth. It was hilarious and Semenyo got me some fantasy points too!

I'll catch it on MOTD later. I suspect we may be visiting Bramley Dock next season. In the meantime I have a bottle of Glenmorangie to aid a night's sleep 

• Like 1

Another stout defense of Liam Manning from Ian!

Many of those saying Mr Manning is learning his trade, (out of his depth) support Mr Manning wholeheartedly. 

The constant theme of going on about an underlying hope the Mr Manning will fail, by those who somehow want Nigel Pearson back, is boring and not true and has now become an urban legend that has been spouted twice in two episodes. 

Supporters want City to win. 

At the moment Pring is still playing with a hand break on. Knight is not on it. Bird is playing number 10. Twine is wide.

Players were falling over each other around the penalty area, Armstrong can’t finish which is why he was cheap. Mayulu and Wells didn’t get a kick, Naismith gives the ball away and is slower than a cart horse, Vyner s diagonals drop short and he looks worried and Bird was asked to do something he has never done except in an emergency to somehow shoe horn Williams (who looks knackered after sixty minutes) Bird Knight Twine in with Sykes who looks utterly fed up. 

@headhunter boys. None of that has anything to do with Nigel effing Pearson. 

Can we give it a rest!

• Like 8
  • Flames 7

You know! As most agree. The first half was more than decent. Didn't take chances, derby took theirs.

But watching that first half , it was positive.

The is the manning pro. He seems decent at game script. He has a plan. He works on the opposition, you can see the work has been done!!

Now the con! How often are we poor as soon as the opposition make adjustments, especially after half time! 

It's a running theme. As soon as opposition make adjustments, we simply do not adjust.

At 1-0 you could see the game slowly creeping away! Answer !NOTHING

No subs made until Derby scored the second. That's too late. It's all well an good having a plan, but you need to be adjustable on the fly.

There are many things positive about the start to the season. When playing well it's promising. 

But I'm absolutely sure our season will be defined based on what Manning does 45-70 mins. As of right now, he rarely shows it unless we concede.

It's just not possible to pull a Millwall out the hat every week. He's got to make moves faster.

As for the weird formation today! Doesn't make sense to me. Play one of knight and Williams, stick twine as THE 10. And build around that.

• Like 10

This is episode is now on Spotify & other podcast platforms:

https://app.restream.io/new-event-invitation/TmJaMU84Tojv3A_hDkp4hyjGIH3YYd8/email

Having had overnight to reflect on Saturday's poor showing, one thing that I've concluded is that we cannot play with all four from Williams, Knight, Twine & Bird in the starting line up.

When we get back from the international break Manning will have an even fitter Hirakawa, McCrorie and Earthy back plus Roberts wondering what he has to do to get a game in a defence that is conceding 2 goals per game.

Big selection decisions for Manning and referring back to Earthy, he hasn't come here to get splinters in his arse - he was getting that at West Ham

2 minutes ago, headhunter said:

When we get back from the international break Manning will have an even fitter Hirakawa, McCrorie and Earthy back plus Roberts wondering what he has to do to get a game in a defence that is conceding 2 goals per game.

Big selection decisions for Manning and referring back to Earthy, he hasn't come here to get splinters in his arse - he was getting that at West Ham

Is this definitely the case?

McCrorie & Earthy both available for Blackburn?

Certainly true that he has big selection decisions to make, in addition to those you mentioned McNally & McGuane presumably haven’t come here just to sit on the bench.

Just now, GrahamC said:

Is this definitely the case?

McCrorie & Earthy both available for Blackburn?

Certainly true that he has big selection decisions to make, in addition to those you mentioned McNally & McGuane presumably haven’t come here just to sit on the bench.

and there's Atkinson too but I have to question his mental toughness after 19 months out. I think NP alluded to this when benching him 2 years ago

IMG_6140.thumb.jpeg.881f2d1aa300f4a38f5f8d4b6e32cab5.jpegIMG_6141.thumb.jpeg.28f891a0e29a16a79ba0a0431cec9859.jpeg

The game was won and lost right here. The difference in physicality and pace between those sets of 5 is actually quite frightening. It has always been a problem of ours and apart from up front we haven’t really addressed it anywhere else on the pitch.

When the game becomes more about winning duels and fighting physically we will always come out second best. I think Ozoh was incredible, so powerful quick and agile and Knight and Williams just couldn’t get near him.

Real genuine pace and power in wide areas aswell with Jackson and Mendez-Laing, something we simply haven’t got at all. Sykes is apparently our quick winger and i can’t remember the last time he simply knocked it past the full back and got to the ball first and get a cross in!

Edited by Hocca
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Hocca said:

IMG_6140.thumb.jpeg.881f2d1aa300f4a38f5f8d4b6e32cab5.jpegIMG_6141.thumb.jpeg.28f891a0e29a16a79ba0a0431cec9859.jpeg

The game was won and lost right here. The difference in physicality and pace between those sets of 5 is actually quite frightening. It has always been a problem of ours and apart from up front we haven’t really addressed it anywhere else on the pitch.

When the game becomes more about winning duels and fighting physically we will always come out second best. I think Ozoh was incredible, so powerful quick and agile and Knight and Williams just couldn’t get near him.

Real genuine pace and power in wide areas aswell with Jackson and Mendez-Laing, something we simply haven’t got at all. Sykes is apparently our quick winger and i can’t remember the last time he simply knocked it past the full back and got to the ball first and get a cross in!

Just finished watching the full-90 back, our lack of physicality bar Williams was astounding.

From the first challenge Elder put in on Sykes, he was in Sykes’s head.

Ditto Adams on Twine.  Twine would rather fall over and moan to the ref than actually take a touch and get hit…where he might win a genuine foul.

Yates learned after 20 mins that he’d get an easier time peeling onto Vyner than Naismith, and Derby knew they had a chance of winning an out-ball.

• Like 5

Thought yesterday generally our press was poor, Bird & Knight seem overcome with a return to Pride park and both had poor games by their standards. We are not so fluid playing out from the back with Nailsmith, Dickie would pull players and create space before playing out to Pring, but Naismith takes to long on he ball.  

Said before the match and in other posts prior to that, I cannot understand why he does not start with Fally whose link up play needs Twine & Bird around him, also more likely to break down a team who are sat deep. Armstrong will be very effective in the 2nd half against tired players or when we need an out ball. 

Don't understand why we have everyone back for corners, leave Armstrong up and would scare most teams to death, but worse we now seem to have got that deep we have everyone in the 6 yard box and players not knowing who they are picking up and leaving opposition unmarked, leading to several goals we have conceded down to this.

You also add Yates was a real handful, and exactly what Armstrong can be if left up.

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Thought yesterday generally our press was poor, Bird & Knight seem overcome with a return to Pride park and both had poor games by their standards. We are not so fluid playing out from the back with Nailsmith, Dickie would pull players and create space before playing out to Pring, but Naismith takes to long on he ball.  

Said before the match and in other posts prior to that, I cannot understand why he does not start with Fally whose link up play needs Twine & Bird around him, also more likely to break down a team who are sat deep. Armstrong will be very effective in the 2nd half against tired players or when we need an out ball. 

Don't understand why we have everyone back for corners, leave Armstrong up and would scare most teams to death, but worse we now seem to have got that deep we have everyone in the 6 yard box and players not knowing who they are picking up and leaving opposition unmarked, leading to several goals we have conceded down to this.

You also add Yates was a real handful, and exactly what Armstrong can be if left up.

Wow! Poor team selection, poor application, poor tactics, players not knowing who they’re marking / players unmarked? That’s a pretty damning assessment of our coaching set up.

6 minutes ago, FNQ said:

Wow! Poor team selection, poor application, poor tactics, players not knowing who they’re marking / players unmarked? That’s a pretty damning assessment of our coaching set up.

Not sure I would say that or get that carried away, its a new team getting to know each other so was always going to take time to gel, from the positive signs of the previous games, think Nailsmith has upset the backline and how we play out, which maybe remedied by mcNally. Everyone back at corners was done previously under NP and I have never understood it, but then again I am not a coach with the statics and analysis as to why its better. With regards Fally & Armstrong, just my thoughts, but I have not seen them train or know LM reasons with starting SA.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Just finished watching the full-90 back, our lack of physicality bar Williams was astounding.

From the first challenge Elder put in on Sykes, he was in Sykes’s head.

Ditto Adams on Twine.  Twine would rather fall over and moan to the ref than actually take a touch and get hit…where he might win a genuine foul.

Yates learned after 20 mins that he’d get an easier time peeling onto Vyner than Naismith, and Derby knew they had a chance of winning an out-ball.

I worried about twine last season but gave him the benefit of the doubt because he was on loan & just come back from injury. I had a teammate in local football who would get Highridge itus as we termed it . Twine is one of those . 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

One of the reasons I didn’t want City to sign him after the loan, falls on the floor and throws his arms at the ref anytime anybody gets near him. Really, really frustrating.

10 minutes ago, pillred said:

Only the other week Neil Harris was bemoaning the fact he lost the game because we had such a strong bench and could make changes that he did not have the luxury of making, how quickly things change.

And since winning that game our coach is now bemoaning the fact that our new signings will logically take time to gel, whereas Paul Warne has signed almost double the number of new signings (15) that we have and then has just completely destroyed us…. Strange times.

• Like 3

We were bullied all over the pitch Saturday and Manning got his subs wrong again. IMO he should have been adding a bit of steel to the team by bringing on McGuane and McNally Not Fally and Memheti who arn't noted for there battling qualities and aggression. I would have made changes at HT after the first 20 mins Derby got control of the game and bullied us all over the park Manning seems to be very stubborn it seems to be his way or no way.

13 minutes ago, westonred said:

We were bullied all over the pitch Saturday and Manning got his subs wrong again. IMO he should have been adding a bit of steel to the team by bringing on McGuane and McNally Not Fally and Memheti who arn't noted for there battling qualities and aggression. I would have made changes at HT after the first 20 mins Derby got control of the game and bullied us all over the park Manning seems to be very stubborn it seems to be his way or no way.

Half time changes? Crazy talk! That’s not “the process”!! 
60 minutes, like-for-like changes… that’s the process!

Seriously, I agree with you.  I’m concerned Manning is too stubborn and trying to be too clever for his own good. The team needs toughening up, my real question is why and how have we softened it up so much? 

One thing is for sure, you’re not going to out-football many teams in The Championship without winning battles first. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, westonred said:

Certainly agree we should have made a change at HT but that’s nonsense about Mayulu, he can certainly be physical (ask Joe Bryan).

Also in a side where I’m not sure where the goals are coming from, he’s our likeliest scorer.

23 minutes ago, westonred said:

I'm inclined to agree with that view.

He's got some interesting team selection decisions to make when, for Blackburn, Hirakawa will be even fitter, Earthy recovered and maybe even McCrorie.

Earthy hasn't come here to get splinters in his backside sat on the bench - he was doing that at West Ham

I'd like to see this line up but it won't happen

MOL

Tanner Vyner McNally Roberts

Hirakawa Williams Bird

Twine

Mayulu

The other thing is that even with a depleted squad [Atkinson, Dickie, Bell] the pathway for youngsters in the matchday 20 is well and truly blocked

• Like 1

On 31/08/2024 at 18:51, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Cheer up folks...in another universe we could be Everton. 2 up, 86 minutes in the board....how Bristol City of them 

And on the FBC pod someone (mark I think) said the game was gone at 2-0. 

22 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

I worried about twine last season but gave him the benefit of the doubt because he was on loan & just come back from injury. I had a teammate in local football who would get Highridge itus as we termed it . Twine is one of those . 

Looked weak and moany last season imo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

I'm inclined to agree with that view.

He's got some interesting team selection decisions to make when, for Blackburn, Hirakawa will be even fitter, Earthy recovered and maybe even McCrorie.

Earthy hasn't come here to get splinters in his backside sat on the bench - he was doing that at West Ham

I'd like to see this line up but it won't happen

MOL

Hirakawa Williams Bird

Twine

Mayulu

The other thing is that even with a depleted squad [Atkinson, Dickie, Bell] the pathway for youngsters in the matchday 20 is well and truly blocked

No problem with that 11. But does Roberts sit in as a full back, if so Pring is probably better as an out and out left back. Hirakawa isn't a midfielder so would need to start higher between Twine and Mayulu.

Might want add someone on the left though, just to make up the 11.

Edited by Sir Geoff
Extra text

25 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Looked weak and moany last season imo.

I said the same.

20 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

No problem with that 11. But does Roberts sit in as a full back, if so Pring is probably better as an out and out left back. Hirakawa isn't a midfielder so would need to start higher between Twine and Mayulu.

I’ve seen several suggestions of him as a wingback…but no idea what that’s based on, other than “got to do something different”.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

43 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You playing with 10 @headhunter?

Doh!!!

MOL

Hirakawa Williams Bird Pring

Twine

Mayulu

That's a 4-2-3-1 Hirakawa & Pring width, Williams & Bird in the pivot, Twine where he should be. Roberts, Pring combo on the left offers more physicality & pace.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Doh!!!

MOL

Hirakawa Williams Bird Pring

Twine

Mayulu

That's a 4-2-3-1 Hirakawa & Pring width, Williams & Bird in the pivot, Twine where he should be. Roberts, Pring combo on the left offers more physicality & pace.

So, you’re leaving out our captain & playing Pring in a midfield role.

”Interesting”.

FWIW I would also definitely start Mayulu, definitely wouldn’t start Hirakawa (don’t think he’s anywhere near ready for an away start) but am uncertain what to do at the back, but do agree re McNally & can see why you think Roberts deserves a go.

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Why did Ian get so defensive when Dave said "Manning has been significantly backed" and then outright lied by saying Nige got every player he wanted. 

Is that the same Ian that was laying into Pearson 12 months ago but now with the same points total is being gentle on Manning ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I haven't listened to it yet, is Ian spinning it?

Basically fans that are complaining are being ridiculous because its only been 4 games. Does the same apply for Ians own positive comments following the Millwall game? 

Completely tried to shut down any conversation regarding the backing Manning has recieved by telling Dave to not go there and was quite forceful in doing so. 

He then tried to frame it as every manager we have here gets backed, including Pearson in an attempt to downplay the backing Manning has had this summer. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

Basically fans that are complaining are being ridiculous because its only been 4 games. Does the same apply for Ians own positive comments following the Millwall game? 

Completely tried to shut down any conversation regarding the backing Manning has recieved by telling Dave to not go there and was quite forceful in doing so. 

He then tried to frame it as every manager we have here gets backed, including Pearson in an attempt to downplay the backing Manning has had this summer. 

Thanks, that will make for some interesting listening.

The buy-in from a lot of our fans seems to be incredible given that there is a lot to prove from all areas of the Club and the current plan, set-up.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

That probably explains the tweet he put out today.  Just because he wrote an “article” doesn’t make it fact.

His revisionism is easily seen through.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

That sounds incredibly tiresome.

Reached an Hour into the Pod now, Ian very defensive and yet on the offensive with it! Thinks some fans dislike Manning and the Lansdowns and therefore want Manning to fail? Ludicrous.

As for DARM1, whoever that is- they seem very bullish and keen to clutch straws. Elements of hyperbole and wishful thinking there.

Screenshot_20240903-003629_Chrome.jpg.34c02c123e62742376eb7275fbe94cdd.jpg

I assume they mean latter day Holden and the final sections of the LJ era.

Oh and Ian was wrong of course in the sense that while LJ got the most backing of any manager, compared to his predecessor the ratio re-invested of Processes is far lower.

I think the Semenyo cash and Szmodics sell-on maybe one or two little bits just about covered NP and his ENTIRE Gross Spend. That's fees but what of wages?

Ah yes but the net Wage Cost fell so that too was a net negative.

£4-5m or up to on Conway vs how much in outlay for Fess and Loan Fees across these two Windows, £10-12m? Have Wage Savings come as well or?

I haven't pored over our Accounts for a while but this feels basically where we are at.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

That probably explains the tweet he put out today.  Just because he wrote an “article” doesn’t make it fact.

His revisionism is easily seen through.

This is quite ironic, really. You and Ian share more similarities than you might realise, Dave. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, frenchred said:

I tried to listen but had to turn off, the continual speaking over each other and interrupting did my head in!

It's tough, isn't it? I love @headhunter, but he really needs to learn to let people finish what they're saying. I don't think he ever just lets them naturally finish. I've had to shout out loud a few times in the car, 'Just let him finish!' I love the podcast, though, even if that bit is frustrating.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

I tried to listen but had to turn off, the continual speaking over each other and interrupting did my head in!

Every episode, Dave keeps interrupting the person speaking. Had me shouting,"ffs shut up." at my phone yesterday whilst listening. Always a tough listen with constant interruptions and talking over each other.

• Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Reached an Hour into the Pod now, Ian very defensive and yet on the offensive with it! Thinks some fans dislike Manning and the Lansdowns and therefore want Manning to fail? Ludicrous.

There’s a massive elephant in the room when he, of all people, roll out this pathetic line that criticising the club or a manager means you want them to fail..

He has hammered absolutely every single City manager until the current one. He used to ring up the radio criticising Gary Johnson every single week while we were fighting for promotion from this level. I clearly remember him saying Cotterill should be sacked about five minutes into the season after promotion. Did he ‘want them to fail’ then?

Maybe he lacks the self awareness to see how transparent and, genuinely hilarious, this massive 180 degree turn is. From being every single City manager’s harshest critic to being the self appointed chief cheerleader for the current manager.

Edited by bearded_red
  • Like 8
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1

7 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

There’s a massive elephant in the room when he, of all people, roll out this pathetic line that criticising the club or a manager means you want them to fail..

He has hammered absolutely every single City manager until the current one. He used to ring up the radio criticising Gary Johnson every single week while we were fighting for promotion from this level. I clearly remember him saying Cotterill should be sacked about five minutes into the season after promotion.

Maybe he lacks the self awareness to see how transparent and, genuinely hilarious, this massive 180 degree turn is. From being every single City manager’s harshest critic to being the self appointed chief cheerleader for the current manager.

Indeed that’s the huge irony, he was the same with Nige as well. 

5 hours ago, Batman said:

It's tough, isn't it? I love @headhunter, but he really needs to learn to let people finish what they're saying. I don't think he ever just lets them naturally finish. I've had to shout out loud a few times in the car, 'Just let him finish!' I love the podcast, though, even if that bit is frustrating.

How come you don’t go on it anymore Lez?  

On 01/09/2024 at 04:54, sh1t_ref_again said:

⬆️

Exactly my thoughts too.

Basically I don’t think Sincs has to play in a set up that needs precision and control - as you say in the second half we can play on the counter against tiring defenses. Fally , otoh, would make more use of Twine/Bird’s creativity (ok I know there wasn’t a lot of that against Derby) early on in a game. So I definitely think starting with Fally should be tried.

In addition, although Sincs has been pretty decent so far, if I were Fally I would be getting a bit peeved always coming on as second half sub, when the overall team’s performances have not been great. Getting 2 goals inform his ~120 minutes so far deserves a start imo.