IGNORED

back room staff.

Can we have a manager with Championship experience first?

I’ve said for decades, literally, that this club lacks experience in key positions.

What leadership have we had with top flight experience? Danny Wilson, Steve Coppell and Nigel Pearson? Gould and Alexander? As long as I can remember, we’ve been trying to reach the promised land whilst employing no one who’s been there before or knows how to get there. Even on the pitch this season, we have no one who’s really done it. Wells, Twine and Earthy are, I think, our only players with any top-flight experience.

It’s so hard to get “there” without people who know what “there” looks like.

• Like 6

Lads.

We’ve been here before. One of Liams great strengths and weaknesses is that he’s relentlessly single minded and has real belief in what his methods are - he’s a meticulous planner and seems to find it hard to adjust in games when that plan doesn’t work. I’m not sure he’d want or accept experienced help and if anyone was appointed they’d just be shouting into the abyss.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, fly in the air said:

Am I alone in thinking we should get a coach with championship experience. maybe put coles back to the academy where he was doing a good job. so a fresh face to replace cissie. only a thought. it can only help liam

Nigel Pearson is unemployed. I've heard he's got experience of this league 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, fly in the air said:

I just think we need someone to work with the strikers. both young and someone to coach them would benefit all concerned.

we dont want one anymore, that was jason euells job iirc.   perhaps tins is overseeing that role now along with all his other roles

• Like 2

Under Pearson we technically had 2 defensive coaches (Him and Fleming). An Attacking coach in Euell. Some might say a pretty decent backroom setup. When Manning was at Oxford I think one of this coaching staff was Craig Short , ex defender himself back in the day so maybe see if we could prize him out of Oxford. 

• Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, ScorpioNoSting said:

Under Pearson we technically had 2 defensive coaches (Him and Fleming). An Attacking coach in Euell. Some might say a pretty decent backroom setup. When Manning was at Oxford I think one of this coaching staff was Craig Short , ex defender himself back in the day so maybe see if we could prize him out of Oxford. 

Think it was @Silvio Dante or @Graham c who commented at the time, that Short was pre-Manning and wanted the job himself, so was a bit sidelined by Manning when he was appointed at Oxford.  The funny thing was that Mrs Short started following by Twitter account when Manning was appointed here, so I thought he was gonna come too…but one of the two above put me straight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

6 hours ago, cityexile said:

Starting to see the downside of bringing in so many new faces quickly now. However good they are individually, the partnerships are not there and they start to struggle to know what the heck they are meant to be doing when under pressure. Defensively it’s all over the place now.

2 hours ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Can we have a manager with Championship experience first?

I’ve said for decades, literally, that this club lacks experience in key positions.

What leadership have we had with top flight experience? Danny Wilson, Steve Coppell and Nigel Pearson? Gould and Alexander? As long as I can remember, we’ve been trying to reach the promised land whilst employing no one who’s been there before or knows how to get there. Even on the pitch this season, we have no one who’s really done it. Wells, Twine and Earthy are, I think, our only players with any top-flight experience.

It’s so hard to get “there” without people who know what “there” looks like.

We had one ,.............

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Lads.

We’ve been here before. One of Liams great strengths and weaknesses is that he’s relentlessly single minded and has real belief in what his methods are - he’s a meticulous planner and seems to find it hard to adjust in games when that plan doesn’t work. I’m not sure he’d want or accept experienced help and if anyone was appointed they’d just be shouting into the abyss.

Having just seen MOTD and Southampton implode against Brentford, playing the only way Russell Martin wants them to play, I can see similarities with Manning I.e. stubbornly sticking to “principles” despite the evidence of how a game is going suggesting that a change is necessary. My experience from my own area of practice is that less experienced professionals are generally more rigid in their thinking while the more experienced are far more flexible and phlegmatic. Plus the best of the less experienced are not afraid of benefitting from the input of someone older and wiser.

• Like 9
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Said before the number two Hogg reminds me of when we had Docherty with McInnes. I am getting vibes from that appointment! 

Controversial I know but I would suggest that McInnes is currently a better manager than Manning. He has actually won things with every club he has managed except City, although admittedly all three other clubs are Scottish and two were promotions from the second tier. That said, 4 second place finishes in the SPL in 8 seasons at Aberdeen, behind Celtic, a club with significantly more resources, is pretty good, plus an overall win percentage there of over 50%. And he has managed to get Kilmarnock into European qualification after a 4th place finish in the SPL last season. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Controversial I know but I would suggest that McInnes is currently a better manager than Manning. He has actually won things with every club he has managed except City, although admittedly all three other clubs are Scottish and two were promotions from the second tier. That said, 4 second place finishes in the SPL in 8 seasons at Aberdeen, behind Celtic, a club with significantly more resources, is pretty good, plus an overall win percentage there of over 50%. And he has managed to get Kilmarnock into European qualification after a 4th place finish in the SPL last season. 

Yes I agree, he's been successful at every club he's managed except one. That probably says more about City than him.

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

McInnes is an extremely good manager, with a particular skill of building teams on bare bones budgets. Kilmarnock gave a decent enough display in Europe this year as well, ultimately going out to some truly shocking refereeing decisions.

A little while back on here I was defending McInnes in general, and someone correctly reminded me that, yes,  he’s a good manager now - but when he was at City, it was a level too high, too soon. He ultimately learnt a lot from his “failure” here and this has been of huge benefit to the clubs he’s gone on to. Essentially, City paid for his education and other clubs reaped the rewards. Manning could well be the same, where he makes his mistakes here, then kicks on.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SydneyCity said:

McInnes is an extremely good manager, with a particular skill of building teams on bare bones budgets. Kilmarnock gave a decent enough display in Europe this year as well, ultimately going out to some truly shocking refereeing decisions.

A little while back on here I was defending McInnes in general, and someone correctly reminded me that, yes,  he’s a good manager now - but when he was at City, it was a level too high, too soon. He ultimately learnt a lot from his “failure” here and this has been of huge benefit to the clubs he’s gone on to. Essentially, City paid for his education and other clubs reaped the rewards. Manning could well be the same, where he makes his mistakes here, then kicks on.

The difference between McInmes learning his trade and Manning learning his trade is that the latter has been coaching for 15-20 years, and is in his fourth season of English football management. We employed him (allegedly) exactly because he was a career coach, progressive etc. There probably isn’t anything Liam doesn’t know technically about coaching.

The issue remains as we keep coming back to game management. It’s an instinctive thing, it’s seeing things real time. It’s something that I’m not sure you can learn - and certainly are unlikely to be able to do so after 15 plus years learning your trade.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

The difference between McInmes learning his trade and Manning learning his trade is that the latter has been coaching for 15-20 years, and is in his fourth season of English football management. We employed him (allegedly) exactly because he was a career coach, progressive etc. There probably isn’t anything Liam doesn’t know technically about coaching.

The issue remains as we keep coming back to game management. It’s an instinctive thing, it’s seeing things real time. It’s something that I’m not sure you can learn - and certainly are unlikely to be able to do so after 15 plus years learning your trade.

Maybe this is part of the problem. Having not played at a higher level, Manning lacks that feel for what is happening in a gane. Yes he knows all the coaching theory and can set up a team before a game, but he lacks the nous to change things when it doesn’t “go to plan”. And this is where a lack of pragmatism might come in as well. As has been mentioned before there are no league points for style, the only thing that matters is the team scoring more goals than it concedes.

• Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Maybe this is part of the problem. Having not played at a higher level, Manning lacks that feel for what is happening in a gane. Yes he knows all the coaching theory and can set up a team before a game, but he lacks the nous to change things when it doesn’t “go to plan”. And this is where a lack of pragmatism might come in as well. As has been mentioned before there are no league points for style, the only thing that matters is the team scoring more goals than it concedes.

Understand the point but you don’t have to have played the game at a high level to understand it (breaks Mourinho glass). Loads of us saw the issue yesterday as discussed on the Twine thread, but we’re not pros and Liam knows more about football theory than any of us ever will.

It’s back to what I said the other day - we can all see the issue, it’s whether he’s got the ability to learn. And if you read what happened when he left Dons, he had an inability to pull them out of a tailspin. At Oxford, they followed a similar pattern per forum comments of starting well and regressing in game. Those suggest he just has a weakness here and the question is how long it is before it’s an insurmountable one.

• Like 1

The difference between McInmes learning his trade and Manning learning his trade is that the latter has been coaching for 15-20 years

I agree with what you’re saying but would argue that Manning only really became a “proper” first team coach four years ago. A similar amount of time to McInnes before he joined us. Since then I feel Mannings jumped up levels too quickly.

I’m honestly on a bit of a roller coaster with Manning. Really didn’t like his appointment, was bored to tears with his football last season, and still can’t stand / don’t bother listening to his interviews. However, this season I’m liking the good stuff and can see his positive impact as a coach, even though it is frustratingly one dimensional in practice.

Maybe I’m being a bit pedantic in my definitions, but a coach arms the players with the skills they need to achieve and it’s then up to the players to use those skills. That’s the gap I see, and something I said at his appointment - we need a manager, not a coach. Someone as a conduit between theory and practice (I know we had this, and it still annoys me to this day how we got ourselves into this current situation).

I’ve heard interviews with Rangers players who, in the same sentence, say Michael Beale is one of the best coaches they’ve ever worked with… and the worst manager. I have a feeling Manning is similar.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, SydneyCity said:

I agree with what you’re saying but would argue that Manning only really became a “proper” first team coach four years ago. A similar amount of time to McInnes before he joined us. Since then I feel Mannings jumped up levels too quickly.

I’m honestly on a bit of a roller coaster with Manning. Really didn’t like his appointment, was bored to tears with his football last season, and still can’t stand / don’t bother listening to his interviews. However, this season I’m liking the good stuff and can see his positive impact as a coach, even though it is frustratingly one dimensional in practice.

Maybe I’m being a bit pedantic in my definitions, but a coach arms the players with the skills they need to achieve and it’s then up to the players to use those skills. That’s the gap I see, and something I said at his appointment - we need a manager, not a coach. Someone as a conduit between theory and practice (I know we had this, and it still annoys me to this day how we got ourselves into this current situation).

I’ve heard interviews with Rangers players who, in the same sentence, say Michael Beale is one of the best coaches they’ve ever worked with… and the worst manager. I have a feeling Manning is similar.

Good post, and I think the Beale analogy may be spot on. I’ve got no doubt that Liam is an excellent coach when it comes to theory, puts on good and engaging drills etc. It’d be mental if he didn’t considering his grounding. The “biggest bit” though is the bit he’s having trouble with - how do you react and manage in a game.

And look, I completely get how people get sold on him. He fits the identikit of what’s in vogue now, he speaks well (if dull) and he’s got a background at some massive clubs. I have an unerring feeling as I think you do that his ceiling may well be as a top level coach supporting the main man, as opposed to being the main man himself as he just doesn’t have the intuition. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that and he’ll do more in football than any of us ever will. And if it doesn’t work here (and it still can), any of us would have done as he has and had a go.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SydneyCity said:

Steve McClaren is the standout example of this. Ask any of the players he coached whilst with Man Utd and England, some of the greats of their generation, and pretty much to a man they say he's the best coach they've ever worked with. Those who've had him purely as a manager are far less complimentary.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, hertsexile said:

Louis Carey currently out of work maybe 🤔 that could work. He would keep both Tins and Manning in check 

I don’t for one minute think that LM would want some experienced old head to come in and help him.

But if he were amenable to it and the club were serious about doing it to help LM and the squad, I’d suggest they’d be looking for someone better than Carey 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

12 hours ago, SydneyCity said:

The big difference between Manning and McKinney is that one had a long playing career at top clubs (at least Championship in England and Premier in Scotland.

He captained at WBA and maybe others.

Manning did not have a playing career and spent most of his time coaching young ones probably still at school. 

A massive difference in experience!

6 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

He was coach at Southampton U16’s

and I believe is coach/assistant manager at FGR where he’s been since July’23.

Hes not got anywhere near as much experience as LM

4 minutes ago, The Coach said:

We complain about jobs for the boys then that is suggested.

Thanks.

Maybe he could be useful for Academy given Southampton have a highly renowned one, but beyond that?

I'd like to see Andy King back - I thought he and Manning got on well? I'd also heard he was getting a coaching job back in the Midlands, because his wife wanted to move back there but nothing appears to have materialised? Maybe someone can clarify those two points.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I’d suggest his association with Steve Cotterill is likely one of the reasons he’s in his current role.

Carey left (sacked) FGR in December before Troy Deeney was appointed. He never worked for Cotts who came in after Deeney left.

• Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

6 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Good post, and I think the Beale analogy may be spot on. I’ve got no doubt that Liam is an excellent coach when it comes to theory, puts on good and engaging drills etc. It’d be mental if he didn’t considering his grounding. The “biggest bit” though is the bit he’s having trouble with - how do you react and manage in a game.

And look, I completely get how people get sold on him. He fits the identikit of what’s in vogue now, he speaks well (if dull) and he’s got a background at some massive clubs. I have an unerring feeling as I think you do that his ceiling may well be as a top level coach supporting the main man, as opposed to being the main man himself as he just doesn’t have the intuition. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that and he’ll do more in football than any of us ever will. And if it doesn’t work here (and it still can), any of us would have done as he has and had a go.

I think we need to be careful not to make it all seem like it’s in-game management.  There are flaws (not the non-pro) in his set-up at the start too.  If I was being really critical I’d say it’s endulgent / trying to be too clever.

There is good reason why preseason I said it’s all about how he makes the attack better without breaking the defence.

His answer (facetious view from me, so happy to be shot down) is that he thinks he can create a virtual 12th player by getting Pring to play like a LB and a LM and Mehmeti / Twine like a LW and a No10.

The yin / yang of trying to create attacking shapes / patterns…something has to give…and it’s our defence.

I said to someone pre-game, Derby would be a real marker, but I did not expect us to be disassembled so easily.

I’ve rarely seen a game under Manning (in fairness) where our midfielders and wide players spent so much time running back towards our goal.

IMG_1515.thumb.jpeg.31b0864320f1e1375de9ee2d1b9c1574.jpegIMG_1519.thumb.jpeg.58af6f44478c486a20ee4215112f2e25.jpeg

Some of that comes from Derby’s style, but a lot of it comes from poor structure, getting beyond the ball too early in the phase of possession, or getting beyond the ball and giving it up cheaply.

We did play some good passes in the opening 20, and that maybe lulled some players into heading forward too quickly.

I’ve no idea what we will see at Blackburn…round pegs in round holes, minor tweaks, or sledgehammer back-3?  But yesterday was a mess for large parts.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think we need to be careful not to make it all seem like it’s in-game management.  There are flaws (not the non-pro) in his set-up at the start too.  If I was being really critical I’d say it’s endulgent / trying to be too clever.

There is good reason why preseason I said it’s all about how he makes the attack better without breaking the defence.

His answer (facetious view from me, so happy to be shot down) is that he thinks he can create a virtual 12th player by getting Pring to play like a LB and a LM and Mehmeti / Twine like a LW and a No10.

The yin / yang of trying to create attacking shapes / patterns…something has to give…and it’s our defence.

I said to someone pre-game, Derby would be a real marker, but I did not expect us to be disassembled so easily.

I’ve rarely seen a game under Manning (in fairness) where our midfielders and wide players spent so much time running back towards our goal.

IMG_1515.thumb.jpeg.31b0864320f1e1375de9ee2d1b9c1574.jpegIMG_1519.thumb.jpeg.58af6f44478c486a20ee4215112f2e25.jpeg

Some of that comes from Derby’s style, but a lot of it comes from poor structure, getting beyond the ball too early in the phase of possession, or getting beyond the ball and giving it up cheaply.

We did play some good passes in the opening 20, and that maybe lulled some players into heading forward too quickly.

I’ve no idea what we will see at Blackburn…round pegs in round holes, minor tweaks, or sledgehammer back-3?  But yesterday was a mess for large parts.

Is there anybody at the club to caution him on his approach? Is he willing to listen? Will he change his approach on his own accord?

I'm looking forward to see how he sets up and manages in game v Blackburn ...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Is there anybody at the club to caution him on his approach? Is he willing to listen? Will he change his approach on his own accord?

I'm looking forward to see how he sets up and manages in game v Blackburn ...

All good Qs.

He eventually listened last season if the stories are true! 👀

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

To be fair, I’m saying game management as the “biggest bit” and it’s also the bit that’s killing us most obviously over his time in charge. I’m not sure his judgement of the quality of a player is up to standard, and I’m definitely concerned about his total disregard for academies across roles (Liam Manning the academy coach would despise Liam Manning the manager). I’m also unconvinced about several other softer aspects. 

Basically there’s little I’m convinced about but I’ll state we should stop the house from burning down before worrying if the paintwork is shoddy!

14 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

To be fair, I’m saying game management as the “biggest bit” and it’s also the bit that’s killing us most obviously over his time in charge. I’m not sure his judgement of the quality of a player is up to standard, and I’m definitely concerned about his total disregard for academies across roles (Liam Manning the academy coach would despise Liam Manning the manager). I’m also unconvinced about several other softer aspects. 

Basically there’s little I’m convinced about but I’ll state we should stop the house from burning down before worrying if the paintwork is shoddy!

Think the biggest bit is that there’s lots of littlest bits!

16 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

I think all it proves is he really knows Scottish football.

Looking at some of the shite from there he signed for us, I wish that he’d stayed up there & his signings had, too.

23 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I think all it proves is he really knows Scottish football.

Looking at some of the shite from there he signed for us, I wish that he’d stayed up there & his signings had, too.

He was given a similar job to Pearson. Cut the costs but keep us in the Championship. Proves how hard it is to do and that experience matters. A really radical idea for the owners would be to try giving money to an experienced manager and letting them get on with it!

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

12 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

He was given a similar job to Pearson. Cut the costs but keep us in the Championship. Proves how hard it is to do and that experience matters. A really radical idea for the owners would be to try giving money to an experienced manager and letting them get on with it!

I’m not sure his expenditure on Sam Baldock & Steven Davies bears that theory out?