IGNORED

Away from our own shambles for a moment.. Declan Rice red card

Roe

On 01/09/2024 at 18:59, Back of the Dolman said:

I played at a decent level thanks but I played during the time of not rolling round on the pitch when you haven’t been touched or spending most of the game chasing the referee moaning.

I’m far from being a pedant as you’ve described me but you seem to be completely absolving Declan Rice of any blame or responsibility for what happened to him yesterday.

The point I’m trying to make is that Rice put himself in that position and gave the referee no real option of giving him a yellow for what he did.

Whether something should have happened to Veltman I’m not so sure on that but surely that disproves your point of me being a pedant who blindly follows rules as if that’s how I was I’d clearly be demanding action was taken against him which it appears you think should have happened so maybe you’re a pedant on that one 😀.

But I’d be amazed if that same incident happened against City and a player who’d already been booked did that to prevent City taking a free kick that you’d be so sympathetic.

I may be wrong but I bet you’d be more inclined to want the referee to take action like yesterday 

My opinion would not change whoever was playing, I hate pettiness and illogical outcomes.  I think the Ref should have used some common sense in a storm in a teacup situation....and i still remain appalled that Veitman got away Scot free when indulging in violent conduct?  What a great example to watching kids,. that you can endanger someone physically by kicking them up in the air and then walk away unpunished?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Severn Beach Pigeon said:

Ball was moving before it hit Rice's foot.

It would have been moving regardless because Veltman had already kicked it in Rice's direction.

and Rice cannot kick the ball away its in law 12 delaying the restart 

• kicking or carrying the ball away, or provoking a confrontation by deliberately touching the ball after the referee has stopped play

• Facepalm 1

35 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

That is part of the problem for me.

Danny Kelly looks quite aged there !

Maybe the ref thought Rice was stooping the play and kicking the ball away ?

As we never hear what is said everyone second guesses the officials and why they made a decision.

And next week you will probably see different decisions made in the same sort of situation.

Edited by Markthehorn

13 hours ago, Severn Beach Pigeon said:

Ball was moving before it hit Rice's foot.

It would have been moving regardless because Veltman had already kicked it in Rice's direction.

So Veltman wouldn't have been able to take the freekick quickly because he had already made it a moving ball.

What the kindly ref is telling you is that it does not matter if the ball is moving or stationery, Rice attempting to delay the restart is an offence and a mandatory caution . Common sense should tell Declan Rice this, the law is clear, players have been informed what will occur if players delay a restart, refs must caution the player.

• Facepalm 1

Just now, Rob k said:

All fans/players want is consistently, if that’s a yellow then fair enough, but let’s see that as a yellow everytime. 

In this thread there are individuals who state they want to see common sense. Pundits are stating they want to see common sense and consistency. Pundits who frequently demonstrate they do not know what the laws of the game are. 

So, which one is it. Common sense that trumps the laws of the game, or the laws of the game that trump common sense? How do you get the same outcome every time, when incidents are never the same? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1