IGNORED

Who next?

JAWS

Despite having egg on their face the Lansdowns will lose patience soon and will have no choice but to dispense with LM.

They will give him another half dozen games but that will be games wasted in my view.

I don't see any tactical in game nous & continued poor player selection.

And more importantly lessons don't appear to be learned from the mistakes. 

So when the inevitable happens who next? 

How about Moyes?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 25

No chance, for one he is used to a higher level and secondly Moyes reporting to Tinnion??

I mean that respectfully btw but I can't see a world where a self-respecting Manager wishes to report to Tinnion or someone similar.

I'll rephrase that, a Self Respecting Manager with strong experience. Less experienced harder to say.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, JAWS said:

Despite having egg on their face the Lansdowns will lose patience soon and will have no choice but to dispense with LM.

They will give him another half dozen games but that will be games wasted in my view.

How about Moyes?

BORING 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JAWS said:

How about Moyes?

He gets 20. If we are in the bottom four after 15 maybe less.  

The interesting thing will be who goes with him if he we are not competitive with the top 18 clubs after 15 games. 

Edited by REDOXO

Personally think we should give Manning more time, but get some additional coaches in with experience , Chris Hughton perhaps? And if Manning felt overwhelmed and resigned (which I don’t think he will because he knows he’s hit the jackpot with us) at least we would then have a ready made replacement if appointed who has premier league and championship experience on his CV, not to mention another Irish connection to our ever growing ranks. His footballing style may not great , but would prefer 1-0 wins and being organised over 4-3 losses. 

But, if you’re after a few managers / head coaches worth considering if Lansdowns gets rid of LM.. 

Robbie Keane, Brian Barry-Murphy or breaking away from the Irish trend.. Ole Gunnar or even throw Dave Challinor at Stockport (who are already top of league one) into the mix who has a great record in getting teams promoted albeit at lower level. 

20 minutes ago, ScorpioNoSting said:

Personally think we should give Manning more time, but get some additional coaches in with experience , Chris Hughton perhaps? And if Manning felt overwhelmed and resigned (which I don’t think he will because he knows he’s hit the jackpot with us) at least we would then have a ready made replacement if appointed who has premier league and championship experience on his CV, not to mention another Irish connection to our ever growing ranks. His footballing style may not great , but would prefer 1-0 wins and being organised over 4-3 losses. 

But, if you’re after a few managers / head coaches worth considering if Lansdowns gets rid of LM.. 

Robbie Keane, Brian Barry-Murphy or breaking away from the Irish trend.. Ole Gunnar or even throw Dave Challinor at Stockport (who are already top of league one) into the mix who has a great record in getting teams promoted albeit at lower level. 

Have I misunderstood?

But Robbie Keane reporting to BT ?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, ScorpioNoSting said:

A manager who needs help shouldn't be managing in the Championship. 

I wouldn't sack him now, but if you are correct that he needs help then id happily sack him today and get a manager who doesn't need his hand held in. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, east sussex red said:

As a matter of interest, does anyone know what the length of Liams contract is? 

Three and a half year contract ending in summer 2027. As headhunted, don’t imagine we have break clauses - as for compo level if the ultimate did happen, would assume it’s the whole value.

• Like 1

Unless we are getting battered and consistently in the bottom 3 Manning isn’t going anywhere. They “love him” (yes that’s a quote) and have clearly fully backed him. He’s firmly their man and I think he will be given this season and further regardless. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Have I misunderstood?

But Robbie Keane reporting to BT ?

Hopefully BT will be gone too.

I’d do my diligence on Scott Lindsey at Crawley.

However, the key appointment will be the new “Technical Director”, which must be someone with experience. Wonder if that’s a role that Moyes would take.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, One Team said:

Unless we are getting battered and consistently in the bottom 3 Manning isn’t going anywhere. They “love him” (yes that’s a quote) and have clearly fully backed him. He’s firmly their man and I think he will be given this season and further regardless. 

That’s my worry. He’s so well backed, he’ll get 4 seasons at least, whatever happens on the pitch.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

21 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

That’s my worry. He’s so well backed, he’ll get 4 seasons at least, whatever happens on the pitch.

And then 80m later an experienced manager capable of promotion is appointed and duly told there's no money left for him. And round we go

• Like 2
  • Flames 4

Sorry I’m new to all this so don’t know how to respond back to my original post after someone(s) replied to it. So still learning the ropes. 

I don’t see why that wouldn’t work unless you know Keane on a personal level. Of course Keane is still pretty inexperienced too but he has had some success in this previous job and would jump at the chance of managing City. I’m only suggesting possible candidates for the role if a change is made. If are however sticking with LM I think we need experience knowledgeable coaches to help out. 

6 minutes ago, ScorpioNoSting said:

f are however sticking with LM I think we need experience knowledgeable coaches to help out. 

They headhunted LM precisely because they rated him as a coach. So why would they conclude now he needs help with his coaching? Not saying I disagree with you btw.

• Like 3

I believe Colin Calderwood went to join Russell Martin backroom staff at Southampton when Martin was struggling and look how that turned out. I would even say Martin is more experienced than LM. Wasn’t it Colin Lee being looked at helping BT out when BT was manager but, chose to stay at Walsall? 

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Hopefully BT will be gone too.

I’d do my diligence on Scott Lindsey at Crawley.

However, the key appointment will be the new “Technical Director”, which must be someone with experience. Wonder if that’s a role that Moyes would take.

He’s very impressive from the little I’ve seen at heard at Crawley.

(not suggesting him for us btw)

• Like 1

Just now, SternJohnLegend said:

Instead of paying out in transfer fees for players, invest in a proven manager at lower prem or championship level that can get that little bit extra out of whats already there in the squad.

It will work out cheaper.

We had one! A decent one at that.

NP and his team..and then we sacked him when his job was clearly not complete.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 8

15 hours ago, JAWS said:

How about Moyes?

Well you haven't been watching then, apart from 2nd yesterday where we were awful, we have played well in the first few league games. 

Instead of jumping on the bandwagon of the fickle fans we have, why don't you get behind the manager and the team and look at what we are building here.  

You are entitled to your opinion but it's ridiculous post to make after 1 bad performance. 

• Like 6
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

15 hours ago, JAWS said:

How about Moyes?

Good shout IMO or Warnock

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

No more lower league names please. 

But are many recognised and established managers going to be interested in coming here ?

We have a good infrastructure with the ground and the HPC but do outsiders in the professional aspect of the game look at us and genuinely think we have the desire and intent to push on to the next level ?

We may just be seen as a steady middle of the Championship club, and ultimately that’s what we’ve been for some time now.

Out of interest who would you suggest that you believe could take us onto the next level ?

Edited by Back of the Dolman
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

No more lower league names please. 

Exactly this. Let's get someone with the balls to make this club competitive. No more lower league yes men. I've run out of patience.  Best coaches now are mostly foreigners.  Let's try that if LM goes. That's a big if!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Redshorts said:

Well you haven't been watching then, apart from 2nd yesterday where we were awful, we have played well in the first few league games. 

Instead of jumping on the bandwagon of the fickle fans we have, why don't you get behind the manager and the team and look at what we are building here.  

You are entitled to your opinion but it's ridiculous post to make after 1 bad performance. 

I’m not sure supporters voicing their concerns equates to them being fickle.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ScorpioNoSting said:

If additional / better coaches are required, then why bother with Manning? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Randy Marsh II said:

And then 80m later an experienced manager capable of promotion is appointed and duly told there's no money left for him. And round we go

That would mean we haven’t learned from our mistakes, and i cant believe that would happen

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Redshorts said:

We’ve yet to have a game where we’ve played well for more than 40 mins, most of the first half against Cov, arguably 30 mins vs Millwall, 20 mins vs Derby, moments at Hull. There’s no plan B, no changing tactics when other teams change theirs, 2nd half Cov, 2nd half Millwall, after 30 mins against Derby, scripted 60th min subs, it’s either City Group arrogance where he is absolutely convinced that his tactics and set up will prevail regardless of what the opposition does, or he is just utterly naive and is not capable of picking up on and adapting to the in-game changes.

The team will naturally gel, but will continued to be held back by Manning unless he has a rethink. Stupidity is doing the same thing time over with the same results…..

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We had one! A decent one at that.

NP and his team..and then we sacked him when his job was clearly not complete.

Yep....although the football was crap at times, the defence was getting tighter than in recent seasons.

A preseason with manning and its gone to absolute s**t....conceding 16% of last seasons goals against in 4 games.

Ive always said Manning will be gone by November to mates, i still stand by that.

• Like 2

We have brought in a championship novice manager who has brought in players who couldnt hardly get into the teams they were with, or are championship novices themselves.

This tells me we have reached our destination and the lansdowns have no interest in us progressing, the status quo and lots of season ticket sales will do them just fine.

The op suggestion of Moyes is pie in the sky as our current chairman decided to sack a prem and championship manager we had already, in favour of....well what we have now.

Fair play to the masses that follow our club all over, forever in hope of the dream, 40yrs ago I would have been first in the ticket queue.

Any gems that do come to the fore will be cashed in on asap, and the round-a-bout will go around again as another rebuild comes.

Lansdowns selling up is the only hope imo to break the never ending circle.

So the "who`s next" is a new owner

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

Just now, YorkshireSection said:

The board I believe will now recruit from a pool based on style & specifics, Manning is probably only here until Mark Robins becomes available and when he is, SL will pounce and bring him in..................Or so I believe!!! 

I SHOULD POST AN APOLOGY IS MY DRUGS HAVE CLEARLY WORN OUT & IM IN DESPERATE NEED OF MORE, TO HELP PLEASE DROP ME A DM.

Tell you what this is a new low for OTIB. If most of you replying to this thread have actually seen all the games, then fair enough, but even replying to this thread suggests you haven't. Calling for the manager to be binned off after four games is just preposterous.

1 hour ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I’m not sure supporters voicing their concerns equates to them being fickle.

Fickle or not, but if the someone on here shouted out 'we want Manning out' down the gate they'd be derided, mocked and rolled down the dolman steps like that dirty Leeds fan.

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 2

17 minutes ago, McNasty Filth said:

Tell you what this is a new low for OTIB. If most of you replying to this thread have actually seen all the games, then fair enough, but even replying to this thread suggests you haven't. Calling for the manager to be binned off after four games is just preposterous.

Fickle or not, but if the someone on here shouted out 'we want Manning out' down the gate they'd be derided, mocked and rolled down the dolman steps like that dirty Leeds fan.

My point doesn’t necessarily apply to every comment on this thread by every poster.

But there are a lot of people who are still raising the same concerns as they have been for a number of months and some of them have valid points and I don’t think they’re being fickle.

I’ve watched every minute of every game that LM has been in charge of.

I’ve definitely seen some more entertaining football than last season but there are still things now that I have been concerned about for a fair while since he took over.

I’m not saying sack him, I’m not saying he’s the right man for the job but as far as I can see he’s going nowhere at the moment.

So I’m not sure whether that makes me fickle or not.

Edited by Back of the Dolman
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, McNasty Filth said:

Anyone calling for his head is unlikely to be doing it based on just these 4 games this season, but likely 30+ games going back to last season I suspect.

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, McNasty Filth said:

Preston forum had a poll half an hour or so into their Opening Game in which 98% said Lowe Out..

Mind you he was there since December 2021.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Anyone calling for his head is unlikely to be doing it based on just these 4 games this season, but likely 30+ games going back to last season I suspect.

Less that a full season Dave

Give the guy chance to implement his philosophy and methods over the coming season. Slag him off then if City aren’t promoted.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Less that a full season Dave

Give the guy chance to implement his philosophy and methods over the coming season. Slag him off then if City aren’t promoted.

A lot of Championship managers get 12 months or so and 2 Windows.

I'm not Manning out but we shall see.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Changing your manager every 12 months is a shit (and very expensive) way to run a football club whatever other Owners do.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Changing your manager every 12 months is a shit (and very expensive) way to run a football club whatever other Owners do.

Tend to agree but it does highlight the short termism albeit SL is often one of the more patient owners and this average is perhaps inflated by Watford and then by QPR having 4 managers in a year. (Beale, Critchley, Ainsworth, Cifuentes). Beale quit of course but the rest..

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Changing managers every year or so just destabilises the structure of the club and that’s one thing that SL wants avoid.

Sustainability and stability are two of SL main wishes 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, Robbored said:

Changing managers every year or so just destabilises the structure of the club and that’s one thing that SL wants avoid.

Sustainability and stability are two of SL main wishes 

What's a fair timeframe then?

15 Games of this plus the 31 of last to assess a Calendar year pretty much?

LM and presumably his team are contracted until 2027 on paper, we know that much.

2 hours ago, Redshorts said:

Is it one bad performance, though? Yesterday was on par with Stoke away at the end of last season. It was dire, neither reactive nor proactive, players out of position, relying on Naismith at CB etc. 

On paper, we've had a favourable run of games to start the season. To put in that performance, at a newly-promoted side who are one of the favourites for relegation, is a real warning sign IMO. The reaction will be key. 

• Like 7

Unbelievable thread. First loss of the season and people are wanting LM head. We have a much better squad that needs to gel and for LM to work out the best way to play them. If we are struggling 10 to 15 games in, then people might have a case. For gods sake, give him a chance!

Just now, Br1stolCityBoy said:

Unbelievable thread. First loss of the season and people are wanting LM head. We have a much better squad that needs to gel and for LM to work out the best way to play them. If we are struggling 10 to 15 games in, then people might have a case. For gods sake, give him a chance!

10-15, I'm leaning towards the latter seems fair yeah.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What's a fair timeframe then?

15 Games of this plus the 31 of last to assess a Calendar year pretty much?

LM and presumably his team are contracted until 2027 on paper, we know that much.

At least two seasons Mr Pop based on SLs determination to hang on LJ and possibly longer if he sees definite signs of progress.

I’m certainly not a fan of a managerial revolving door.

• Facepalm 1

Just now, Robbored said:

At least two seasons Mr Pop based on SLs determination to hang on LJ and possibly longer if he sees definite signs of progress.

Why then sack someone who was slowly progressing us and deny him the funds and chance to take us further.

The sacking, the messaging and to an extent the spending isn't commensurate with a Long Term Strategy. It is Medium term horizons at best IMO.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think Manning might already be 11th or 12th longest serving manager at this level??

Including Promoted or Relegated sides of course.

Yep, 11th…unless someone has been sacked today.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Robbored said:

🥱 

2 hours ago, SternJohnLegend said:

Instead of paying out in transfer fees for players, invest in a proven manager at lower prem or championship level that can get that little bit extra out of whats already there in the squad.

It will work out cheaper.

Keeping Matty James would have saved a few quid , leader and knows how to keep a side tight in midfield something we have drastically lost this season so far 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I reckon any manager in the EFL could've got 5 points out of the games we've had so far with the players at their disposal. And probably anyone on OTIB. 

As others have said, square pegs in round holes, poor judgement in game & like for like subs. Just an all round lack of awareness and perception. I've seen enough.

BUT I don't trust lansdown to appoint a decent replacement given his track record. He just doesn't like being told.

I've had a lot of face palms to this post but willing to stand by it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

If additional / better coaches are required, then why bother with Manning? 

Ok then leave it all for Manning to do. Let him sort out all aspects of coaching. Have you not seen pep’s backroom staff? Why does Pep have great coaches that he works with if we all think Pep is a world class coach. Under previous managers here we’ve had coaches in their expertise field.. Pembo, Holden, Jamie Mc, Fleming and Euell all to chip in. 

27 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Why then sack someone who was slowly progressing us and deny him the funds and chance to take us further.

The sacking, the messaging and to an extent the spending isn't commensurate with a Long Term Strategy. It is Medium term horizons at best IMO.

JLs explanation of Nige’s sacking was as pathetic as it comes. He obviously clashed with JL and Tinnion over something or other or maybe it was several things but he’s gone and Manning arrives with a decent reputation and we all need to give him time - not slag him off after a crap performance.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ScorpioNoSting said:

Ok then leave it all for Manning to do. Let him sort out all aspects of coaching. Have you not seen pep’s backroom staff? Why does Pep have great coaches that he works with if we all think Pep is a world class coach. Under previous managers here we’ve had coaches in their expertise field.. Pembo, Holden, Jamie Mc, Fleming and Euell all to chip in. 

I’m sure LM has the team in place that he wants