IGNORED

This fan base

BristolGit

1 hour ago, BristolGit said:

Got to be up there with the worst in the league.

After Milwall we were gonna win the league and the all of a sudden, Manning doesn’t know what he’s doing.

Give your head a wobble, it’s been 4 games. 

Reckon Luton fans will be moaning out their arse? 

Embarrassing.

Who said we were going to ‘win the league’ after Milwall? I do wonder about those who use obvious exaggerations to complain that people are exaggerating. Maybe they should ‘give their heads a wobble’? 

• Like 9
  • Flames 5

I admit that it appears that way sometimes. We’d performed well so far this season up to half time yesterday, and that’s built on a strong finish to last year. The fact that it’s only taken one poor half of football for people to get the knives out and start spouting utter drivel isn’t a good look at all.

I think it’s more complex than just that though. Deep down, I think people are still angry with what happened to Nigel last year, and are not prepared to forgive the board for the way things unfolded. Manning is inevitably going to get less patience, more criticism and higher expectations because of the nature of his appointment and the backing he’s since received. If he fails, I feel it will be the final straw for just about everyone, and the nail in the coffin for any hope of ever progressing under this regime.  I kinda get that.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Flames 2

3 hours ago, BristolGit said:

After Milwall we were gonna win the league and the all of a sudden, Manning doesn’t know what he’s doing.

Embarrassing.

Utter tosh. After Preston’s first game 92% wanted Lowe replaced. Luton were booed off the pitch Friday night. 

Find a post where we said we’re  going to win the league…….you won’t!

Nice try though 

• Like 10

4 hours ago, BristolGit said:

Embarrassing.

It can be so depressing on here sometimes and today i can't even rely on the Rovers topic to give me a laugh (other than their pathetic attendance yesterday) 

The first 20 minutes yesterday we were excellent, but after we went a goal down we capitulated. 
Supporters have every right to call it out and to criticise it. Yes some comments are over the top, but witnessing that yesterday it was concerning. 

Personally I think we have had a decent start to the season, should have had 9 points from our first 3 games, we were top of the league last Saturday at half time. 135 minutes of football later, we’ve conceded 4 goals and sit 13th . It’s bloody frustrating. 

Football fans at every club across the country are fickle. It’s to emotional of a game for it not to be. But ignore fans who over react when we win and lose. Ask me again in October and November I will probably have a different outlook.

• Like 2

Embarrassing.

Its nothing new mate and happens at every club not just here. Remeber Arsenal fans turned on Arsene Wenger and were booing him after all he had done for that club.  Its the nature of the game im affraid if you win people will cheer if we lose people will boo always have done always will

• Like 3

Embarrassing.

You need to realise the negative themes on here are not necessarily reflective of the wider fanbase.

Just like other social platforms the drums of discontent ring loudest for longer.

That said nobody, should accept yesterday’s performance. If anyone’s heads need a wobble its the players & staff.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

3 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

I admit that it appears that way sometimes. We’d performed well so far this season up to half time yesterday, and that’s built on a strong finish to last year. The fact that it’s only taken one poor half of football for people to get the knives out and start spouting utter drivel isn’t a good look at all.

I think it’s more complex than just that though. Deep down, I think people are still angry with what happened to Nigel last year, and are not prepared to forgive the board for the way things unfolded. Manning is inevitably going to get less patience, more criticism and higher expectations because of the nature of his appointment and the backing he’s since received. If he fails, I feel it will be the final straw for just about everyone, and the nail in the coffin for any hope of ever progressing under this regime.  I kinda get that.

Have we performed well this season ?

Hull was OK. Millwall we were poor for 60 minutes, Coventry cup game we were pretty poor, Coventry league game 2nd half was poor, yesterday was terrible.

Plus we didn't have a good end to last season. We struggled badly against 2 relegated sides and got thumped by Stoke.

Edited by Sir Geoff
Edit text
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

Agreed. Deep down I think Manning will fail, but I desperately hope to be proved wrong. I wish him personally no harm and I suspect he will learn from his time with us and may be a better manager for it. But those higher up need to take responsibility for the cycle of experience being fired for talking hard to the board, followed by the young and inexperienced who are I am sure easier to manage but not up to the job. It’s all too predictable. 

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

Embarrassing.

Luton fans are complaining yes but what an awful comparison. Fans of a tiny poorly supported club who are overachieving big time even being in the Champ let alone the Prem.

3 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Luton fans are complaining yes but what an awful comparison. Fans of a tiny poorly supported club who are overachieving big time even being in the Champ let alone the Prem.

Ah Luton. A team that have been in the  Conference since the Messiah Lansdown has been here averaging a few thousand yet still beat us to the Premier league. 

Yep the fans are definitely the problem.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

Interested in this definitive league table of how good the fans are. Wonder whose in the relegation spots with City in this?

It’s almost as if every single club has the exact same cross section of fans. 

BREAKING- Football fans excited after coming from behind to win 4-3, but annoyed after losing 3-0 against a crap team. More as we get it..

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Bizarre original post tbh.

Normally, after a performance like that there would be about 17 different threads calling for the managers head. There aren’t. There are the odd comments but we’re miles away from “Johnson Out Dwarf Short” territory.

What there has been generally is reasoned criticism of what happened yesterday, and a lot of people making the observation that in a lot of ways - despite what’s been classed as a positive start - it’s been coming. The pattern of starting well and getting worse, formulaic pre planned subs, an inability to “counter the counter”. Rinse and repeat. It’s been this way for 10 months broadly. And this is through the lens of us having played four teams, three of which I’d lay short money will be in the bottom six at the end of the season. 

As was said the other day, our season so far has been coloured by a crazy 20 minute spell against Millwall - when we disregard during that game we were second best for 50 minutes against a bottom section team missing several players.

And that’s not to say it’s all been bad. First 20 against Millwall. First 20 yesterday. First half Coventry (there’s a pattern here)

We can sit here and say “everything is awesome, just get behind the team” or we can say that there is a genuine, real concern over how things unfold in game, and if Liam doesn’t find a way to resolve that - and soon - you will see those 17 threads.

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Like 10

5 hours ago, BristolGit said:

Embarrassing.

Not sure I agree with the worst in the league, but I do agree that some of our fans are embarrassing, it's one game which we should have won or at least taken some of our chances we may have got something from the game, the signs are we are going in the right direction and the attacking play is much better than last season.

What I will say though is there are some fans who will look for any excuse for manning to not do so well because they didn't want the previous manager gone. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mattredrobin said:

Not sure I agree with the worst in the league, but I do agree that some of our fans are embarrassing, it's one game which we should have won or at least taken some of our chances we may have got something from the game, the signs are we are going in the right direction and the attacking play is much better than last season.

What I will say though is there are some fans who will look for any excuse for manning to not do so well because they didn't want the previous manager gone. 

In what way does our attacking play look much better then last season?

Just now, Mattredrobin said:

God that last sentence is getting boring. 

If losing 3-0 ( could’ve been 5 or 6 after their third) against a crap team is going in the right direction then Hip Hip hooray. 

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Mattredrobin said:

What are the signs that we are ‘going in the right direction’? I see players who personally seem to be going backwards, a lack of players coming through the academy, a defence which seems to be much weaker than before and a large amount being spent which seems to be struggling to keep us from going backwards. Genuinely, what do you see that I don’t? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BristolGit said:

Embarrassing.

so you’re just taking what a vocal minority says and generalising it to the whole fanbase. got it.

8 minutes ago, Mattredrobin said:

Yeah you’re right to be fair, when City lost 3-0 under the ‘previous manager’ this forum was full of posts saying how excellently City had played and how wonderful everything is.

Edited by bearded_red
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jose said:

God that last sentence is getting boring. 

Couldn't agree more. We've reached the point where Liam Manning can be judged on his own record - which he has to build here because yet again we find ourselves with a manager who has no managerial track record to speak of anywhere else. We have to take it on trust that he's widely respected as an up and coming coach, as we did with serial loser Lee Johnson. In hideous echoes of that era it looks a bit of a shapeless mess at times. 

He said that yesterday wasn't 'us'...but in Liam Manning terms what is 'us'? - beyond an aspiration, because under Manning we have rarely played with conviction for 45 let alone 90 minutes.

Edited by Red Exile
  • Like 4

What a ridiculous post. 

As others have already said, no one suggested we would win the league after Millwall. We've looked better going forward but anyone not concerned about our defence isn't paying attention. Pretty sure most knew that even in the emotional highs post Millwall.

The key point is that this result and recent defensive performances haven't happened in a vacuum and you cannot ignore the wider context.

Many better posters than me have been over the details and concerns many of us have over the clubs structure & management approach so I'm not going to repeat all the detail but in light of the last 10+ years some of us are very fed up of sitting on the same merry-go-round.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Couldn't agree more. We've reached the point where Liam Manning can be judged on his own record - which he has to build here because yet again we find ourselves with a manager who has no managerial track record to speak of anywhere else. We have to take it on trust that he's widely respected as an up and coming coach, as we did with serial loser Lee Johnson. In hideous echoes of that era it looks a bit of a shapeless mess at times. 

Think I've learnt don't give opinions on this forum 🤦‍♂️ I just try and look at positives....and realistically. 

• Haha 1
  • Robin 1

2 minutes ago, Mattredrobin said:

Think I've learnt don't give opinions on this forum 🤦‍♂️ I just try and look at positives....and realistically. 

Fair play - sadly 'positive' and 'realistic' don't always align with City!

6 hours ago, BristolGit said:

Embarrassing.

Do you spend much time collating the views of fans of all other clubs in the league then?

44 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

He said that yesterday wasn't 'us'...but in Liam Manning terms what is 'us'? - beyond an aspiration, because under Manning we have rarely played with conviction for 45 let alone 90 minutes.

We've played shite way more than we've played average under him. That was the most recognisable 'us' 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Have we performed well this season ?

Hull was OK. Millwall we were poor for 60 minutes, Coventry cup game we were pretty poor, Coventry league game 2nd half was poor, yesterday was terrible.

Plus we didn't have a good end to last season. We struggled badly against 2 relegated sides and got thumped by Stoke.

Precisely this. We haven’t played well for the entirety of the games preceding yesterday. We’ve had spells of good, spells of poor and been mostly average at best. 

People are acting as if concerns were only raised after yesterday. Many of us have been consistent with our concerns throughout.

I actually think we’ve one of the most patient fan bases in the division. Some of yesterdays reaction l would think is wider than ‘just’ a 3 - 0 loss to Derby.

Personally for me (and I am not what I’d call a Manning fan, at least yet) he needs 10 games to settle in to the season and the additions to the squad. I think he should certainly be judged then, good or bad. 

Edited by One Team
  • Like 3

No different to any other fan base,social media highlights it more in the modern era.

Middlesbrough fans calling there performances a disgrace coventry fans slagging off there team and sims in particular. 

We are no different,but city "gave up" yesterday after going a goal down.

I think the travelling support have every right to be critical,it costs a lot of hard earned money to follow your team these days

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, One Team said:

I actually think we’ve one of the most patient fan bases in the division. Some of yesterdays reaction l would think is wider than ‘just’ a 3 - 0 loss to Derby.

Personally for me (and I am not what I’d call a Manning fan, at least yet) he needs 10 games to settle in to the season and the additions to the squad. I think he should certainly be judged then, good or bad. 

Derby brought in 15 new players… I suppose that they’re just getting on with it.

• Like 1

manningball v1 was always going to re-appear, it got booted out last season when his neck was on the block. give it 10 poor or mediocre results this style and mannerism will disappear again but once again it will be too late to be anywhere near the top of the league. probably turn out to be another boring going nowhere season, its what city do

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Embarrassing.

It's not advisable to sign off posts with your real name.

• Admin

Embarrassing.

We're no different to any other fanbase in the world. 

Sean Dyche was the messiah at 16:50 yesterday, by 17:00 he's the anti christ 

Positive after victory, downcast after a defeat, and then you get the extremes of all those views too 

We're not Man City, we have flaws we are a work in progress still, Rado Bristol touched on this point yesterday that many of our fanbase are still unhappy about the NP sacking and because of that will jump on anything negative 

We've been here before, and we'll be here again in future, it's one of the things that makes football great, ten of us could watch a game and we'd all have different options 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

Spot on. The owner and chairman and their trusted sidekick, Binman really lost a lot of supporters, not just by the sacking of Pearson but with the utter drivel that they came out with afterwards. 

I can understand why Nige had to go in their eyes but I didn't agree with it and their comments after were ridiculous.

A lot of supporters are still unhappy with Mannings appointment as he would appear to be a safe, 'yes man' and too close to the memory of Lee Johnson who was backed and under achieved in our eyes.

Sacking Manning if the team are struggling would be a huge loss of face for the Lansdowns and I can't see it happening this season. 

I said that when Pearson left the Lansdowns had lost my support and I will stand by that. 

It won't take the majority on here to turn nasty against Manning if we go on a poor run. Only time will tell.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

Our form already is worryingly mirroring a mid table team. 

On the positive side I think we have improved the squad but then again so have the other 23 teams in the league.

I think the melt down on here is as much to do with the Pearson effect which will haunt Manning for as long as he's head coach here and the general malaise towards the hierarchy that surfaces after every abject defeat. The truth is we're just a mid table second tier club that's trying to get to the next level.

The problem with that is that most of the fan base can see that the long term issues lie with the club's hierarchy and until that's replaced we can expect more of the same.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, BristolGit said:

Embarrassing.

Luton is a terrible point of comparison as a) they are one of many teams to have done what we can’t and played in the Premier League and b) they still ARE moaning out their arse.

Of course this fanbase gets frustrated, we’re now almost 50 years without top flight football.

Edited by BCFCGav
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeez said:

You need to realise the negative themes on here are not necessarily reflective of the wider fanbase.

Just like other social platforms the drums of discontent ring loudest for longer.

That said nobody, should accept yesterday’s performance. If anyone’s heads need a wobble its the players & staff.

Nor are the negative posters one week, the same posters posting positive after a win.  There are some extreme posters at both ends of the bell curve….they are at the bell-end! 😉

But posts like the OPs are the exaggeration and only reflect looking at the extremes, which are few and far between.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Red Exile said:

I hate it when he (and other managers) say this shit.

Yesterday, was definitely "us".

Bloody USeless !

Also, totally agree with the bit in red font.

I am trying to look for the positives here.

What I would say Is that Bird, Hirakawa & Twine are a massive upgrade to what we have.

McNally seems to be in the same vein.

The two central forwards offer something different that we didn't have before.

Add that to Dickie, Roberts & Knight and you would say that we're moving in the right direction.

I think the real issue lies with further up the chain. I remain unconvinced by Manning, his projected charisma, the strength and fortitude of the man just doesn't fill me with confidence. Does he have the drive and cahunas to get us to the next level? Or does he just does as he is told and is this the real reason why he's here. Then you look further up and whereas in the past we saw the experience of Gould and Alexander, we just don't see that now. Without that leadership and skillset there how on earth are we to attain the next level?

Fans criticise ( & rightly so) Ashton and his methods but look where he is now. May be he saw the writing on the wall early enough with our owners to look at jumping ship. Now, his current club may crash and burn dramatically this season but, as with Luton, they've done it and all before Bristol City have got anywhere near it. Nobody can take that away from them.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BristolGit said:

Embarrassing.

Mate bore off 😴  managers and players get judged on results it's the same at every club! The board come out saying our aim is top 6 you don't get stuffed by a recently promoted side with a squad full of leauge one players if that's the case the players and manager are paid more money then any of us will ever earn in our life time. If they can't take the flack that comes there way after a shite performance give up your high wages and leave the profession. Stop being so soft we should be rightly  demanding alot from this club and team we have been one of the dullest clubs in the championship for the past decade this is a massive city they get off lightly in my opinion.

• Like 6
  • Flames 2

The sins of a former life have condemned us all to a miserable  existence of false dawns, failed opportunities and misplaced hope.

We are the UK of the Eurovision Song Contest Finals, immovable, but irrelevant.

When success threatens to open our cage, the pull of a dusty blanket of oblivion still keeps its hold.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Red Exile said:

which has in the past 18 months sold or got rid of almost all the players with flair, spirit and profile, and replaced them with unproven hopefuls from the lower leagues.

This part is nonsense, sorry.

• Hmmm 1

5 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Mate bore off 😴  managers and players get judged on results it's the same at every club! The board come out saying our aim is top 6 you don't get stuffed by a recently promoted side with a squad full of leauge one players if that's the case the players and manager are paid more money then any of us will ever earn in our life time. If they can't take the flack that comes there way after a shite performance give up your high wages and leave the profession. Stop being so soft we should be rightly  demanding alot from this club and team we have been one of the dullest clubs in the championship for the past decade this is a massive city they get off lightly in my opinion.

I don't recall the board saying this in fairness.

I agree with much of your post but I'm struggling to find actual proclamations from the Board or Tinnion, certainly to a wide audience about what the goals are.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BristolGit said:

Embarrassing.

Seriously?

That's just not true. 

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I agree with much of your post but I'm struggling to find actual proclamations from the Board or Tinnion, certainly to a wide audience about what the goals are.

I agree mate. As much as I'd like to pin them on it, I don't think they have actually said those words specifically, although heavily implied. As I posted yesterday, on 29/10/23 Jon Lansdown said:

“We all wanted Nigel to achieve our ambition to be promoted but, with our recent results, feel that now is the time to make a change to give the club the best possible chance of success.”

I certainly read from this statement that the expectation of anyone coming in is promotion, else why change. Now we know Nige's sacking was more than that, but whilst perhaps not quite specific, promotion is the expectation.

I'm not sure it actually matters here and now. Lansdown will stick with his man unless it goes really, really badly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, One Team said:

I agree mate. As much as I'd like to pin them on it, I don't think they have actually said those words specifically, although heavily implied. As I posted yesterday, on 29/10/23 Jon Lansdown said:

“We all wanted Nigel to achieve our ambition to be promoted but, with our recent results, feel that now is the time to make a change to give the club the best possible chance of success.”

I certainly read from this statement that the expectation of anyone coming in is promotion, else why change. Now we know Nige's sacking was more than that, but whilst perhaps not quite specific, promotion is the expectation.

I'm not sure it actually matters here and now. Lansdown will stick with his man unless it goes really, really badly. 

Last year yes.

This year, this has been a criticism of mine- what are the Parameters, the Targets, the Goals...they've done a 180!

The closest we have is Tinnion reportedly saying at Senior Reds that the aim was Top 10 and improvement but it certainly hasn't been communicated by the Club to the wider Fanbase. At all.

• Like 1

The OP and subsequent posts all make points well and I can see both sides.

On a similar theme though I couldn’t help thinking last night about the thread on here last week about the Everton fans. And about how we all lambasted them: entitled, intolerable, indignant etc etc.

There were a fair few of our fans exactly the same after the game yesterday and in comments on social media. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

23 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Semenyo, Scott, Weimann, James….??

The first two were impossible to keep hold of, their heads were turned by the riches of the Premier League. We didn’t “get rid of them”

Weimann was one of the most criticized players last season, and people were often moaning about him being past it. James will be a loss for sure.

More to the point, how on earth can you write off all of our new signings like you have after four games?

• Like 3

Yes, yes….we really are the only fans in the country that get frustrated after an appalling performance and excited after a positive performance. 🤦‍♂️

I haven’t seen anyone say we are going to win the league, not even close. Hoping for a go at the top 6 yes, and why not given the players we’ve brought in?

But just to address being “the worst in the league”, we took 3000 fans yesterday to a ground we visited numerous times in recent history, sold out 10 away fixtures last season with other near sell outs at Leeds and Forest and our home crowds have grown more % wise in the last 3 years than any other Championship club.

Not bad for a club who’ve only been in the top flight a handful of years in the last century with zero major honours.

Far from the worst we have a case for being amongst the most loyal given the circumstances.

• Like 2

Embarrassing.

Well he didn’t know what he was doing yesterday , game / momentum swinging Derbys way as the game went on yet he does nothing until the usual 60th + minute , top managers react before it’s to late 

Yesterdays result and performance were extremely poor, however it is much too soon to be getting to worked up over, these results happen. Plenty more games to get things right. If we are still performing like this after 12-15 games in then there will understandably be questions that need to be answered.

I certainly dont think our fanbase are anymore different to the majority when it comes to hyperbole one way or the other. I also certainly can’t remember anyone saying we would win the league after Millwall, that would be a crazy statement after the performance during that second half!

With the money we have spent and the backing Manning has had, compared to the previous manager, then we certainly should be aiming high this season and keeping in touch with the play-offs throughout, but yesterdays match won’t be a defining one in my opinion, these results can happen to any club, everyone just needs to stay calm, no matter what side of the fence you are on regarding whether you feel Manning is the right man or not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

last season tinion came out in public saying our aim is top 6 we have spent alot of money and upgraded the squad in the summer plus manning has had his time on the grass I'd be absolutely miffed if top 6 still isn't the expectation. Joe Williams or Armstrong recently came out with a top 6 aim In his recent presser.

7 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

last season tinion came out in public saying our aim is top 6 we have spent alot of money and upgraded the squad in the summer plus manning has had his time on the grass I'd be absolutely miffed if top 6 still isn't the expectation. Joe Williams or Armstrong recently came out with a top 6 aim In his recent presser.

I remember this. However they seem to have been awfully quiet this Summer.

I shall look back at these, thanks.

40 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

The first two were impossible to keep hold of, their heads were turned by the riches of the Premier League. We didn’t “get rid of them”

Weimann was one of the most criticized players last season, and people were often moaning about him being past it. James will be a loss for sure.

More to the point, how on earth can you write off all of our new signings like you have after four games?

What I wrote was 'sold or got rid of almost all the players with flair, spirit and profile, and replaced them with unproven hopefuls from the lower leagues'. I'm not running the football club, I'm just watching. We've lost some excellent and experienced players and replaced them with largely unproven at this level. Not writing anyone off. 

FWIW I was a great fan of Andi Weimann, had much to offer and has since been offering it elsewhere at better placed clubs than us. Could never understand the criticism.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BristolGit said:

Embarrassing.

Just a bit of advice - criticise the players, manager (aside from Pearson) and his staff, and the hierarchy, but never, ever, criticise the supporters as it never ends well. :thumbsup:

• Confused 1

I would say our fan base in general is just like the club itself 

Bang average

Got great fans who follow thick or thin 

Got fans who think they are super fans

Got fans who only show up when things are going well

Got fans who what ever the club is doing moan

91 other clubs in the football league have the same

• Like 1

4 hours ago, phantom said:

We're no different to any other fanbase in the world. 

Well, maybe Boca Juniors, we're a bit different to them. And Napoli. And Leeds. Celtic, we're different to them I'd say. Galatassary, you wouldn't exactly say you can't put a pin between them and us. FC St. Pauli, there's another: we're different to them.

Sean Dyche was the messiah at 16:50 yesterday, by 17:00 he's the anti christ 

I really don't think he was the "messiah" at 2:0 up at home to diddly Bournemouth 

Positive after victory, downcast after a defeat, and then you get the extremes of all those views too 

We're not Man City, Krect we have flaws Krect we are a work in progress still, Debateable  Rado Bristol touched on this point yesterday that many of our fanbase are still unhappy about the NP sacking and because of that will jump on anything negative 

We've been here before, Krect and we'll be here again in future, Krect it's one of the things that makes football great, Really? ten of us could watch a game and we'd all have different options Krect