IGNORED

This fan base

BristolGit

I don't like hyperbole, so when I see performances called "disgraceful" it does annoy me a bit; for me not trying warrants the phrase disgraceful. Yesterday, against a team with an excellent home record we started well, didn't take our chances & got punished for it.

A bad day at the metaphorical office but not a disgrace.

Having said that from what I see/ read etc, I don't think our fan base is much different to any other club; Most fans are sensible but you get vocal extremes of positivity & negativity.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, David Brent said:

What would be the correct way to react to that awful performance yesterday? 

It is completely fair to criticise that performance, particularly second half yesterday. It was crap. What you get are a minority who cannot control their anger and then it’s hours of blasting everything and anything at the club. It’s a small number in reality though. The weird one at the moment is pick A Player who had a bad game and proclaim him to be substandard, Knight being the latest, Mehmeti last week etc. etc. It works the opposite too when we win a game.

Way too early to be making definitive conclusions either way. There are certain things not working well in the change of style we are undergoing and it is fair to point them out, it’s also fair to wait a while and see if Liam recognises them and adjusts things positively.

• Like 3

For your sanity op, it’s always good to remind yourself that OTIB is such a small percentage of the fan base and as such the constant negativity, conspiracy theories and other such things are not actually indicative of city fans. It’s easy to forget but always good to take a deep breath in the real world

Edited by Fjmcity
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

For your sanity op, it’s always good to remind yourself that OTIB is such a small percentage of the fan base and as such the constant negativity, conspiracy theories and other such things are not actually indicative of city fans. It’s easy to forget but always good to take a deep breath in the real world

A lot of fans left early yesterday after the 3rd as confirmed on OSIB.

It could turn, we shall see.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

This old chestnut. 

I don't agree. 

Yes, it is a small percentage of the fan base. 

That doesn't mean that it isn't a good representative cross section.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

Are you suggesting that a more indicative view of City fans is the opposite then?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A lot of fans left early yesterday after the 3rd as confirmed on OSIB.

It could turn, we shall see.

It will if this carries on. 

But not on the right people. 

Not inspired by Manning (understatement), but he ain't the problem.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Are you suggesting that a more indicative view of City fans is the opposite then?

Perhaps not complete opposite, a damn sight less dramatic that’s for sure

Edited by Fjmcity
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

So there weren’t a few over dramatic “hms piss the leagues” on here a week or so ago.

But because they were portraying a positive view, much more in line with your outlook, that’s fine?

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

Do you think the free programmes that scattered the pitch in the 6-0 drubbing by Cardiff at AG were all thrown on by OTIBers?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Nor are the negative posters one week, the same posters posting positive after a win.  There are some extreme posters at both ends of the bell curve….they are at the bell-end! 😉

But posts like the OPs are the exaggeration and only reflect looking at the extremes, which are few and far between.

More up and down than a t-distribution aye ;)

26 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

... meaning: apathetic? Not that bothered? Otherwise engaged?

So to be fully invested, bothered and totally engaged you must go OTT after every game railing against everything about the club with zero in between  

42 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

Do you think the free programmes that scattered the pitch in the 6-0 drubbing by Cardiff at AG were all thrown on by OTIBers?

I just think a pop quiz around most of Ashton gate you’d find that Brian tinnion is not consistently called the devil, I don’t think you’d hear the name crayon boy and if you asked most people what they think about in the bath, it wouldn’t be uncle nige

It can be abit weird round here I guess

Edited by Fjmcity
  • Facepalm 2

8 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

I just think a pop quiz around most of Ashton gate you’d find that Brian tinnion is not consistently called the devil, I don’t think you’d hear the name crayon boy and if you asked most people what they think about in the bath, it wouldn’t be uncle nige

Tbh those who drink the Kool Aid unthinkingly deserve the mismanagement and errors in some ways.

Otoh I agree somewhat with your post elsewhere about young players and a serious Top 6 push next year. If we had a prime age striker I would be more immediate with my expectations.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So there weren’t a few over dramatic “hms piss the leagues” on here a week or so ago.

But because they were portraying a positive view, much more in line with your outlook, that’s fine?

I think over optimism is a little less toxic then OTT negativity yes

16 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

Depends how they frame it.  If they use it to poo-pooh anyone with a different perspective and as not being a super-fan, then they are the ones themselves creating the toxicity!

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

55 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

Interesting view. Odd then, that when viewing the comments across the main social media platforms, they broadly echo what you see here. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

in 4 games we have gifted the opposition 6 points.The managers team selection is terrible as are his substitutions.Early in the season or not i see what i see. Rob Dickie injury a big blow.But overall  we ain't getting promoted. Manniing has no clue how to change a game he got rid of Matty Taylor and Weimann and tgh ?Not sure what Haydon Roberts has done? Naismith ahead of him? How are we going to accommodate yu, mehmeti sykes mayulu twine earthey and the bloke from oxford they will all be fed up by xmas. When he signed fally did he tell him he was gonna be a permanent sub?

18 hours ago, BristolGit said:

Got to be up there with the worst in the league.

After Milwall we were gonna win the league and the all of a sudden, Manning doesn’t know what he’s doing.

Give your head a wobble, it’s been 4 games. 

Reckon Luton fans will be moaning out their arse? 

Embarrassing.

If you want to make a head wobble go to our owners we back this club season after season and still fed the same old utter crap the same old p*** poor performances!! Believe it or not it starts at the top and what happens out on that pitch is down to them.

Watch to Tom Wagner in a video on YouTube he's light years ahead of the Lansdowns and what hes promoted in his plans for Birmingham is world class.

Get off our case we turn up in numbers and have every right to criticise!!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Street red said:

If you want to make a head wobble go to our owners we back this club season after season and still fed the same old utter crap the same old p*** poor performances!! Believe it or not it starts at the top and what happens out on that pitch is down to them.

Watch to Tom Wagner in a video on YouTube he's light years ahead of the Lansdowns and what hes promoted in his plans for Birmingham is world class.

They hired Wayne Rooney and got relegated!! Cmon now

23 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

Hard to say, on the other hand they supposedly are building A 60k stadium as well as finally refurbishing the present one. Plus Stansfield at £10-15m or £15m plus Add-Ons??

Otoh as you say! They also have sold 46% more Season Tickets this summer than 2023-24 and put the Hospitality Prices up, bo5j post relegation.

For the record, I find Birmingham City, chunks of their fans and their owners insufferable and nauseating but it is ambitious.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hard to say, on the other hand they supposedly are building A 60k stadium as well as finally refurbishing the present one. Plus Stansfield at £10-15m or £15m plus Add-Ons??

Otoh as you say! They also have sold 46% more Season Tickets this summer than 2023-24 and put the Hospitality Prices up, bo5j post relegation.

For the record, I find Birmingham City, their fans and their owners insufferable and nauseating but it is ambitious.

USA USA USA 🤮🤢

4 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

For the record, I find Birmingham City, their fans and their owners insufferable and nauseating but it is ambitious.

It's professionally ambitious but not just that it's for one club and that's the football club that's the difference.

They've just kitted out st Andrews with two massive screens and new audio system also new bars etc etc and that's before it disappears they mean business for sure.

I'm no fan but what Ive read and watched it's impressive.

1 hour ago, Fjmcity said:

Apart from an outlier or two what is it that you see on here that you think is OTT negativity? Because thoughts on here widely reflects what I’m seeing and hearing elsewhere - both amongst my city supporting mates most of whom are my on here, on socials and on podcasts? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Street red said:

You would'nt be saying that if they walked through door tomorrow. Yes there American but **** me don't they have drive.

I wouldn’t be chanting USA USA like their fans do or taking the star spangled banner to a match with me either.

Couldnt care less who their owners are but I find that behaviour nauseating 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

USA USA USA 🤮🤢

Oh I find them insufferable and nauseating as stated.

6 minutes ago, Street red said:

It's professionally ambitious but not just that it's for one club and that's the football club that's the difference.

They've just kitted out st Andrews with two massive screens and new audio system also new bars etc etc and that's before it disappears they mean business for sure.

I'm no fan but what Ive read and watched it's impressive.

St Andrews badly needed some maintenance but if would he interesting to know just how much.

As it happens they also speak of a Sports Quarter or have done, which is intriguing, and sounds a bit similar.

Just now, Back of the Dolman said:

I wouldn’t be chanting USA USA like their fans do or taking the star spangled banner to a match with me either.

Couldnt care less who their owners are but I find that behaviour nauseating 

I wouldn't be either but what I'm saying is our owner hasn't just done it for the football club it's Bristol sport. There project is just about Birmingham city mens and women's football.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Oh I find them insufferable and nauseating as stated.

St Andrews badly needed some maintenance but if would he interesting to know just how much.

As it happens they also speak of a Sports Quarter or have done, which is intriguing, and sounds a bit similar.

Sports quarter similar to man city altogether in one spot academy everything. I think they have someone employed that was part of that project. Theyve certainly got people on board that's built stadia in this country.

Edited by Street red
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Street red said:

I wouldn't be either but what I'm saying is our owner hasn't just done it for the football club it's Bristol sport. There project is just about Birmingham city mens and women's football.

Like players and managers, owners come and go.

The only constant are the fans.

I’m sure the Birmingham fans are happy with their American owners but like most they’ll probably get bored and move on.

Owners are an aspect of football that I don’t take much notice of.

Just now, Back of the Dolman said:

I’m sure the Birmingham fans are happy with their American owners but like most they’ll probably get bored and move on.

Supposedly they've got a great 10 year Plan to take Birmingham to the top blah blah etc.

Spending £25-30m on gross Fees or at minimum £20-25m post Relegation to League 1 is genuinely without precedent.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Supposedly they've got a great 10 year Plan to take Birmingham to the top blah blah etc.

Spending £25-30m on gross Fees or at minimum £20-25m post Relegation to League 1 is genuinely without precedent.

And surely ******* dangerous 

OTIB has well and truly jumped the shark idolising Birmingham now

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well I never like to see clubs go to the wall, I think it’s very sad for the fans and the local area.

Football finances aren’t my forte but I know you seem to have a good grip of them, but surely if the plan doesn’t come to fruition or they get bored and move on then I’d assume Birmingham will find themselves in trouble.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Screenshot_20240901-215827_Chrome.thumb.jpg.051f015a79ad2c7696ef4a86bd382e0a.jpg

A bit like our plans in some ways, less so in others.

On a bigger scale 4 months ago there was already interest from businesses interested it will be interesting to see if they get the go ahead for the new ground( unless it already has) because it's a massive site.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

I am not idolising Birmingham, I find them and their ownership plus a section of their fans etc insufferable and nauseating.

I'm not praising them, merely stating facts. It's bad for the Game and I hope it comes back to bite them in FFP terms.

3 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Well I never like to see clubs go to the wall, I think it’s very sad for the fans and the local area.

Football finances aren’t my forte but I know you seem to have a good grip of them, but surely if the plan doesn’t come to fruition or they get bored and move on then I’d assume Birmingham will find themselves in trouble.

It is a big unknown. When they return to the Championship their FFP position for one would be interesting to see.

Yeah clubs going to the wall nobody wants that. It could be a major gamble.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I am not idolising Birmingham, I find them and their ownership plus a section of their fans etc insufferable and nauseating.

I'm not praising them, merely stating facts. It's bad for the Game and I hope it comes back to bite them in FFP terms.

It is a big unknown. When they return to the Championship their FFP position for one would be interesting to see.

Yeah clubs going to the wall nobody wants that. It could be a major gamble.

I’m sure many teams in the Division will want to claim their scalp and get up for the game with them.

They’ve got a big target on their back !

They should come back up but there’s no guarantees

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Street red said:

17 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm certainly happy that we're not the ones to have dropped down to Legaue 1. In fairness to their new owners, I suppose a Birmingham relegation has been on the cards for ages.

I think the Stansfield deal is reckless. I'd be worried if that were my club. Nevertheless, it does show clear ambition, as @Mr Popodopolous said. There's undoubtedly an excitement around Birmingham at the moment, not dissimilar to the excitement around Ipswich 12 months ago. New ownership can definitely galvanise a club - IMO this injection of fresh energy and enthusiasm would be one of the biggest benefits of new ownership for us.

I get the impression that the average Birmingham fan is pretty happy with their current situation (relative to ours, for example). I think their view is something along the lines of "I'd rather be in League 1 but part of an exciting and ambitious project than be stuck in the middle of the Championship looking like we're going absolutely nowhere". 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Fjmcity said:

I’ve heard JL referred to as “crayon boy” at least twice at AG, and I sit in the upper Lansdown family area with my little girl where the language is a bit more clean. They might both have been OTIBers though 😄

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Fjmcity said:

There is enough of a cross section on here. As it’s a forum though, people tend to discuss the happenings at the club more so than their bath time. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Any idea when ours are going?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, johnbytheriver said:

When he signed fally did he tell him he was gonna be a permanent sub?

How Manning manages the squad and keeps them all happy and maintains squad harmony is really going to be a challange for him. 

Managing a bunch of wealthy players is a different kettle of fish to managing league one players. 

Only Manning and the new signings know what he promised them etc but I can't see the likes of Fally being happy to sit on the bench. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

How Manning manages the squad and keeps them all happy and maintains squad harmony is really going to be a challange for him. 

Managing a bunch of wealthy players is a different kettle of fish to managing league one players. 

Only Manning and the new signings know what he promised them etc but I can't see the likes of Fally being happy to sit on the bench. 

I think the managing league one players part of this is slightly unneeded. Good man managers can manage players irrespective of the level they’ve played at so I’m not sure that’s a factor.

What is reasonable, and interesting, is the dynamics you’ve highlighted there. If you take Fally and Armstrong as an example, both of them don’t have real precedent at QPR or Rapid of playing 90 minutes (and I’m not sure SA is fit enough over 90) so what we’ve done is in effect paid £4m for two players that can fill the role “collectively”.

I’d have no problem with the school of thought that they’ve been told that one’s the starter, one’s the finisher. The bit where I think that falls down is if, for example, SA is having a stormer and still gets taken off - or as on Saturday, we went 2 down but still did the formulaic switch.

It can be managed properly by being adaptable both pre and in game and explaining decisions to the players. 

• Like 1

On 01/09/2024 at 03:08, BristolGit said:

After Milwall we were gonna win the league and the all of a sudden, Manning doesn’t know what he’s doing.

Embarrassing.

Don't you ever listen to 606?

Are you an avid reader of other teams forums? Do you ever go other City social media sites?

I think in general OTIB has quite a sensible, balanced viewpoint. 

Remember, it was the club who fed us this "Top 6 Squad" "We just need to bring in a modern, forward thinking head coach" bullsh*t.

For what it's worth I would say a top 10 finish would be just about ok 

• Like 2

On 01/09/2024 at 08:06, Capman said:

Agreed. Deep down I think Manning will fail, but I desperately hope to be proved wrong. I wish him personally no harm and I suspect he will learn from his time with us and may be a better manager for it. But those higher up need to take responsibility for the cycle of experience being fired for talking hard to the board, followed by the young and inexperienced who are I am sure easier to manage but not up to the job. It’s all too predictable. 

For me LM relies too much on the coaching manual. He has no playing experience to draw on and has not seen what experienced managers do to change games. When other teams change their approach he has no answer other than "stick to our one and only plan" The situation is crying out for an assistant manager who possesses the experience that LM lacks, playing history giving credibility and understanding from the players. We are too easy to set up against and cannot change to suit game conditions. 

One dimensional is the correct description.

• Like 1

• Admin
13 hours ago, Fjmcity said:

11 hours ago, Fjmcity said:

Fjm, it seems like you’re getting upset over arguments that aren’t really being made.

Last week, 1916 members logged into OTIB, and very few hold the extreme views you describe. No one thinks Tins is the devil. Some believe there are areas he could improve, but they also acknowledge his strengths. Wouldn’t it be worse to ignore his faults and assume he’s perfect?

Your “Crayon Boy” accusation has some basis, but it’s not a widespread nickname. It’s a reaction to some questionable design choices over the years. Everyone wants City to produce great kits because it boosts sales and revenue for the club. Even if “Crayon Boy” isn’t a common term, the impact of his designs is evidenced away from OTIB. For example, the away kit sold out while the poorly-received home kit was left on the hangers in their droves.

As for “Nigel in the bath,” that’s just hyperbole. A few people are still upset about his departure because they liked the direction we were heading and didn’t agree with how it was handled. However, most who mention him also express support for Liam. Are you saying people shouldn’t have their own opinions about club decisions? Should we blindly accept everything the club does?

Lastly, who is idolising Birmingham? Mr. P has simply stated what they’re doing. Personally, I think their approach is risky and would make me nervous if I supported that other BCFC.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 4

19 hours ago, David Brent said:

What would be the correct way to react to that awful performance yesterday? 

Keep your head down and hope for better in the next game, because Manning will still be head coach, SL will still be the owner, JL will still be chairman and BT will still be Lord High Executioner/Child Catcher/Wicked Witch of the West.

If it doesn't get any better, then still keep your head down, because it could get very ugly on here!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Fjm, it seems like you’re getting upset over arguments that aren’t really being made.

Last week, 1916 members logged into OTIB, and very few hold the extreme views you describe. No one thinks Tins is the devil. Some believe there are areas he could improve, but they also acknowledge his strengths. Wouldn’t it be worse to ignore his faults and assume he’s perfect?

Your “Crayon Boy” accusation has some basis, but it’s not a widespread nickname. It’s a reaction to some questionable design choices over the years. Everyone wants City to produce great kits because it boosts sales and revenue for the club. Even if “Crayon Boy” isn’t a common term, the impact of his designs is evidenced away from OTIB. For example, the away kit sold out while the poorly-received home kit was left on the hangers in their droves.

As for “Nigel in the bath,” that’s just hyperbole. A few people are still upset about his departure because they liked the direction we were heading and didn’t agree with how it was handled. However, most who mention him also express support for Liam. Are you saying people shouldn’t have their own opinions about club decisions? Should we blindly accept everything the club does?

Lastly, who is idolising Birmingham? Mr. P has simply stated what they’re doing. Personally, I think their approach is risky and would make me nervous if I supported that other BCFC.

This a thousand times. 

Context is important in any debate. Other than the odd hankering for the past, most of the Nige stuff is about the decision makers, not Liam. Liam is our head coach and is being assessed against his own record/decisions. 

I do find it funny that those who complain about negativity frequently have to straw man so much.

• Like 6

Over the last few seasons I regularly read other forums and Otib is no different from any other of Championship clubs. We’re all football fans and our views have much common ground regardless of which club you support.

One very common theme is the lack of context - you’d have thought that Ian Gay was on all of them.

3 hours ago, downendcity said:

Keep your head down and hope for better in the next game, because Manning will still be head coach, SL will still be the owner, JL will still be chairman and BT will still be Lord High Executioner/Child Catcher/Wicked Witch of the West.

If it doesn't get any better, then still keep your head down, because it could get very ugly on here!

wicked witch of the west 😂 god help us if his magical spells are anything like his grammar

I don't see how our fan base differs from every other fan base in the football league?

Full of opinions / ifs / buts.

Make no mistake though, we all want our club to be successful and many fans are sick of the rinse and repeat approach. Some fans are sick of being taken for fools. We have been starved of top flight football for almost 45 years and it's a shame. We're not entitled to anything, but my god we don't half make some strange decisions behind the scenes which doesn't help our quest to achieve promotion.

The feeling of the club and supporters all moving in the same direction quickly changed last season and we're not far away from seeing which way that decision goes. The signs are there that the cohesive feel is stuttering and I for one am praying that it is just a blip.

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

On 01/09/2024 at 03:08, BristolGit said:

Embarrassing.

Give your head a wobble.

OTIB represents a small % of the fanbase, and very few of that as extreme as you state.

Citys fanbase is one of the most tolerant of the 92 clubs bearing in mind the shite served up in the main throughout our history.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

one observation... OTIB is NOT the fan base. Impossible to quantify if it represents what the fans think. 

I see debates on Twitter too and Groups.

One or two Manning out shouts which I think is ludicrous.

How about lots of fans walking after the 3rd goal Saturday, it'll get toxic if we are bottom 8 after 10-15 games.

I have stopped coming on here so much these days - especially after a defeat - because of the latest influx of 'fans' contributing.   When I check how long they've been on OTIB, most are less than 5 years.

It's like some knob that has started drinking in your local, and no matter where you sit in the bar you can still hear them spouting shite.   

Society has changed for the better in so many ways, but there was a time when they'd just get a good kicking and told to **** off.  It probably wasn't right, but I kinda miss those days sometimes. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2