IGNORED

Under 21's v Barnsley

44 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Luke Skinner - remember the name. Left footed goal machine. Over 30 goals last season and 2 today already 

And 1 in the last game against Sheff Utd. 

Like Pecover only 16 I believe so really making a statement.

Hopefully we can get them to their 17th Birthday so we can get them signed on as professionals rather than scholars.

In that way, we don't end up in another Henry position.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Seen him twice…reminds me of Dave Smith

Is he as quick and powerful?

What a great signing for only 75k, we may not have won the league, but boy that 89-90 season was a joy to watch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alexukhc said:

Any relation to the ex sag?

He’s a chirpy Cockney, so never likely.

Worked with his other half for a while, (bizarrely Dave Pritchard’s missus too at the same time) he was a decent bloke.

1 hour ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Is he as quick and powerful?

What a great signing for only 75k, we may not have won the league, but boy that 89-90 season was a joy to watch.

Dave Smith was actually £180k, from the era when “undisclosed” fees simply didn’t exist.

That summer we shelled out big money by our standards then for him & Dave Rennie. Paul Wimbleton was cheap (& not very good) but the real master stroke a couple of games in to the season was the Gary Shelton/Steve McClaren swap.

We had already brought Super Bob in March in a cash plus Carl Shutt deal.

“When we were kings”…

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

He’s of that ilk, imho.

@And Its Smith do you concur?

I was 8 in 1989 so don’t remember much of Smith really other than I loved him. But I only really remember him knocking the ball past his full back, running past him and whipping in crosses. I’m sure he did a lot more than that!  Luke is pretty skilful and got a decent right foot on him as well.  A guy called Mark Germain coaches him and he says he’s got everything.  He’s strong as well, despite looking quite slight, hence his step up this season. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Luke Skinner - remember the name. Left footed goal machine. Over 30 goals last season and 2 today already 

Get him training with Sinclair Armstrong then 

Edited by redkev
  • Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Dave Smith was actually £180k, from the era when “undisclosed” fees simply didn’t exist.

That summer we shelled out big money by our standards then for him & Dave Rennie. Paul Wimbleton was cheap (& not very good) but the real master stroke a couple of games in to the season was the Gary Shelton/Steve McClaren swap.

“When we were kings”…

I think Paul Wimbleton was £100k.  He played a blinder for Cardiff against us the previous season, but I agree he was no good for us.

29 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I think Paul Wimbleton was £100k.  He played a blinder for Cardiff against us the previous season, but I agree he was no good for us.

I had £60k in mind.

Took a great penalty..

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

I was 8 in 1989 so don’t remember much of Smith really other than I loved him. But I only really remember him knocking the ball past his full back, running past him and whipping in crosses. I’m sure he did a lot more than that!  Luke is pretty skilful and got a decent right foot on him as well.  A guy called Mark Germain coaches him and he says he’s got everything.  He’s strong as well, despite looking quite slight, hence his step up this season. 

I was (and still am 😉) a couple of decades older than you, but your description of Dave Smith is pretty much how I remember him.

He was extremely quick, though, and great fun to watch.

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

“When we were kings”…

Shelts, what a player!!

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

13 hours ago, alexukhc said:

Where’s Joe Duncan?

Another one on the injured list. Been out for a while with a knee injury. 

That was a very young 21's squad yesterday against a Barnsley side that had 2 or 3 players around the first team returning from injury. So a decent result.

Edited by COYR's
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, GrahamC said:

“When we were kings”…

Good times ...

I was newly divorced and was going everywhere with City . 
I quite liked Wimbleton , though he pushed it with the Penalty miss at Cardiff . Wish I still had that footage.
Rennie and Shelton were a great combo , as were Turner & Taylor . 
Loved watching that team .

• Robin 2

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Good times ...

I was newly divorced and was going everywhere with City . 
I quite liked Wimbleton , though he pushed it with the Penalty miss at Cardiff . Wish I still had that footage.
Rennie and Shelton were a great combo , as were Turner & Taylor . 
Loved watching that team .

Mid 20s, The Bountyhunter was a “thing”, 5-0 win at Swansea, 4-0 at Birmingham.

Definitely had worse times..

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Swede said:

Shelts, what a player!!

Him & Rennie! What a team that was. Sags spawned/cheated their way to the title. We were the best team that season, no question in footballing terms. 

11 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Mid 20s, The Bountyhunter was a “thing”, 5-0 win at Swansea, 4-0 at Birmingham.

Definitely had worse times..

Gavin on the opposite wing to Smudge! The uncomplicated era of 442! 

• Robin 1

On 03/09/2024 at 18:07, GrahamC said:

Dave 'Mad Monk' Rennie as my mate called him.

13 minutes ago, JAWS said:

Him & Rennie! What a team that was. Sags spawned/cheated their way to the title. We were the best team that season, no question in footballing terms. 

I can never forgive Rennie for the miss at Ayresome Park. Boro went straight up the other end and scored in the last few minutes. Me and my Dad had driven through the night to get there, puncture on the motorway on the way up and it pissed down all match, stood in the open end corner. 

I don't think I've endured such a demoralising drive home from football since. 

Happy days though! 

• Like 1