IGNORED

Bristol City v England on Saturday,well it could have been

4 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Trent’s pass to Gordan is one of the best I’ve ever seen

his pass to Grealish in the friendly before the euros was equally as good, I’m still amazed we never even tried a left winger with Trent’s ability to switch the ball - especially as it literally produced a goal in one of the last friendly before the Euros

3 hours ago, Slack Bladder said:

Southgate would have shut up shop after going 1 up

Southgate beat Ireland 3-0. It’s honestly such a boring criticism, we regularly smashed the smaller teams.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

his pass to Grealish in the friendly before the euros was equally as good, I’m still amazed we never even tried a left winger with Trent’s ability to switch the ball - especially as it literally produced a goal in one of the last friendly before the Euros

Southgate beat Ireland 3-0. It’s honestly such a boring criticism, we regularly smashed the smaller teams.

Indeed. In fact Southgate's record against lower ranked teams especially out of tournaments and in qualifying was exceptional. 

The real acid test for Carsley (if he even is given this long in the job) is in tournament football against a top 10 ranked nation. That is the benchmark Gareth and his staff have set, it's about outdoing the previous regime in these later stages of major tournaments not what we do against second rate nations like Ireland..

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Indeed. In fact Southgate's record against lower ranked teams especially out of tournaments and in qualifying was exceptional. 

The real acid test for Carsley (if he even is given this long in the job) is in tournament football against a top 10 ranked nation. That is the benchmark Gareth and his staff have set, it's about outdoing the previous regime in these later stages of major tournaments not what we do against second rate nations like Ireland..

Agreed. I like how he got the under 21s playing, if he can replicate that for the senior team we could see something special. As you say the proof is against the top teams - but he may not get that far.

I think at least give him the nations league games til Xmas then review his term. One issue he may face will be player availability and he’ll probably never get his best 11 in these 6 games.

2 hours ago, Bris Red said:

Yup at old trafford. I was in the same year as Tommy dock's sister kate at school. Can remember that game very well in 2005 was the talk of our whole school at the time.

Can't knock him to be honest, a very limited footballer to be fair, just shows where a bit of talent and aggression got you in the game back then.. He lives in Headley park now in a bog standard 3 bed semi.. bit of a far cry from the likes of rooney and beckham that he shared the pitch with in 2005 🤣

I think he owns a few properties, my boy has got to know him quite well through golf and the Shield, he was also at Bernadette’s with Kate

7 hours ago, Super said:

Yesterday showed why Southgate got it wrong with Grealish.

Despite Southgate’s record at international level, which was extremely impressive compared to pretty much all his predecessors in terms of progressing through tournaments, yesterday showed that gifted footballers can play a bit when not stifled by his stultifyingly dull tactics.

Yes, Ireland are complete and utter dogs*** but they were exactly the type of side a Southgate team would have toiled against.

Second half was a bit of a non event, but we looked very comfortable.

On 07/09/2024 at 07:58, Never to the dark side said:

England interim manager Lee Carsley will not sing the national anthem,

Don't blame him after playing 40 times for the Republic of Ireland,would any of us, if roles were reversed?

Might take a bit of pressure off Jack Grealish(squad number 18) and Declan Rice(squad number 4)

Glad to see our Prime minister will be representing the Country at the match.

The current Ireland manager was the manager in charge of Iceland when England were beaten way back in 2016

Doesn't know the words maybe

14 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

Despite Southgate’s record at international level, which was extremely impressive compared to pretty much all his predecessors in terms of progressing through tournaments, yesterday showed that gifted footballers can play a bit when not stifled by his stultifyingly dull tactics.

Yes, Ireland are complete and utter dogs*** but they were exactly the type of side a Southgate team would have toiled against.

Second half was a bit of a non event, but we looked very comfortable.

I mean, Southgate literally beat Ireland 3-0 with the likes of Pope, Mings and Winks in the team so you’re completely wrong there.

BBC report opens with “England strolled to victory against the Republic of Ireland in their friendly international at Wembley.”

All this talk of Southgate “stifling” players is rubbish. We weren’t at it in the summer but there are many, many games under Southgate where we played some beautiful football.

Edited by MarcusX
  • Confused 1