IGNORED

Contract status

Jerseybean

4 year contracts a big gamble imo. Helps amortisation with fees spread over an extra year. Not much use if any of them turn out to be duds and we have to pay them for 4 years. 

Unlikely to get anything back for Twine in 4 years time as he will be close to 30.

Had forgotten about Backwell! Didn't even know he was still on the books, Taylor-Clarke or is he longer or already gone?

Yes a few decisions to make this summer, not least does Benarous have any hope and is it worth taking up the option on Sykes?

Yu we shall see, rest get released probably?

30 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Had forgotten about Backwell! Didn't even know he was still on the books, Taylor-Clarke or is he longer or already gone?

Yes a few decisions to make this summer, not least does Benarous have any hope and is it worth taking up the option on Sykes?

Backwell was given a year in the summer. Considering the logjam of signings ahead of him now meaning the chances of academy breakthrough are near zero, it seems an odd decision as he’s unlikely to hit first team contention before that one is up.

As for the contracts, the interesting batch aren’t this summer but next. There seems now to be a theory that we’re moving towards a plan of development this year (which wasn’t on the tin) to have a go the year after. The flaw in that is that our 2026 expiries are the majority of the backline - O’Leary, Vyner, Tanner, Roberts, Pring. Taking Conway as precedent if they don’t sign this season then they’re gone - or certainly persona non grata at first team level - in summer 2025.

And this is why the two year plan theory mooted has to be nonsense. 

• Hmmm 1

6 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Backwell was given a year in the summer. Considering the logjam of signings ahead of him now meaning the chances of academy breakthrough are near zero, it seems an odd decision as he’s unlikely to hit first team contention before that one is up.

As for the contracts, the interesting batch aren’t this summer but next. There seems now to be a theory that we’re moving towards a plan of development this year (which wasn’t on the tin) to have a go the year after. The flaw in that is that our 2026 expiries are the majority of the backline - O’Leary, Vyner, Tanner, Roberts, Pring. Taking Conway as precedent if they don’t sign this season then they’re gone - or certainly persona non grata at first team level - in summer 2025.

2 year plan theory maybe nonsense but it doesn't feel like we have a strong enough Squad or a prime experience enough squad to be Promotion or Bust this year.

Oh to add, Atkinson contract also expires in 2026.

Given Tinnion reportedly said early August at Senior Reds Top 10 plus improvement...

Which is it?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

11 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Not to mention anyone who has a great year this year will be gone!! If Armstrong scored 18 goals this season, he would be sold.

If twine has an absolutely fantastic season, he'll be sold 

If bird takes to the championship like a duck to water while creating a cartel on that water, he'll be sold.

It's always a promise of next season, just one or two away.

In reality.

The best are sold, the worst are moved on.

The reason the phrase "he's been backed" is used, is because right now every position got additions, and the additions they wanted.

Strikers, wingers, midfielders , defenders .. the lot was covered, there are no excuses.

It's this season here and now.

• Like 6
  • Hmmm 1

26 minutes ago, The turtle said:

It's this season here and now.

I agree.  That’s not to say a below par achievement means the sack, it’s not black and white, but you cannot plan to tread-water for a season.  I’d suggest the tolerance of “met expectations” is quite wide for Manning though.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

14 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Backwell, Taylor-Clarke and Benarous should know by January if get another year or released. Think 3 of them will be gone as too many players in midfield 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Redhed123 said:

Backwell, Taylor-Clarke and Benarous should know by January if get another year or released. Think 3 of them will be gone as too many players in midfield 

I'd have thought the first 2 surely go.

Benarous will be very much dependent on how he can recover. They're not really close to the First Team anyway, Backwell or OTC, well down the pecking order?

2 hours ago, The turtle said:

It's always a promise of next season, just one or two away.

In reality.

The best are sold, the worst are moved on.

In recent seasons I'd agree with you. Looking back though, how did Alan D compile THAT 75/76 team? In the years before I remember Fear, Spiring and Galley going. In 76 Arsenal tried buying Collier & Merrick, so the club asked us all to purchase next year's season tickets and that raised enough cash to ward off the bank. No one apparently was interested in the remainder of the squad.

26 minutes ago, 22A said:

In recent seasons I'd agree with you. Looking back though, how did Alan D compile THAT 75/76 team? In the years before I remember Fear, Spiring and Galley going. In 76 Arsenal tried buying Collier & Merrick, so the club asked us all to purchase next year's season tickets and that raised enough cash to ward off the bank. No one apparently was interested in the remainder of the squad.

We are in no way comparing like with like tbh...

1) There wasn't a rolling FFP or an FFP of any kind then.

2) There wasn't a Bosman Ruling.

3) There were not Parachute Payments.

4) Cash Flow will be aok if SL keeps providing.

4 hours ago, 22A said:

Ritchie and Merrick iirc.

• Like 1
  • Robin 2

18 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

2 year plan theory maybe nonsense but it doesn't feel like we have a strong enough Squad or a prime experience enough squad to be Promotion or Bust this year.

Oh to add, Atkinson contract also expires in 2026.

Given Tinnion reportedly said early August at Senior Reds Top 10 plus improvement...

Which is it?

And 2 months earlier when asked, on FBC, said 10 more points (which would have put us 6th or 7th).

Which is it Brian ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'd have thought the first 2 surely go.

Benarous will be very much dependent on how he can recover. They're not really close to the First Team anyway, Backwell or OTC, well down the pecking order?

I think out of the current crop of academy players, if a centre midfielder had to step into the first team at any point it this season it would be Tommy Backwell, age well built - club most probably gave him a year to cover themselves if we do have drastic influx in injuries to bring him in, and that gives another year for the ones below Backwell to kick on. 

30 minutes ago, HengroveReds said:

I think out of the current crop of academy players, if a centre midfielder had to step into the first team at any point it this season it would be Tommy Backwell, age well built - club most probably gave him a year to cover themselves if we do have drastic influx in injuries to bring him in, and that gives another year for the ones below Backwell to kick on. 

Pecover? Nelson surely ahead?

(The latter injury permitting).

You may follow the Academy better than me Idk.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Are Backwell or OTC anywhere near the first team though? The latter especially surely isn't by now.

That is a difficult Q to answer.  With size of “senior” squad, especially with players returning from injury, I’d say it’s gonna be hard for any academy player to break into the 20, let alone get minutes.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

That is a difficult Q to answer.  With size of “senior” squad, especially with players returning from injury, I’d say it’s gonna be hard for any academy player to break into the 20, let alone get minutes.

Agree but if for any reason we did have to call on an academy CM, the first choice would be Blackwell imo then maybe Meerholz

• Like 1

On 04/09/2024 at 19:45, HengroveReds said:

Agreed. Better than Williams - does what Williams does but doesn’t get a nose bleed in the opposite half. Plays forward, creates chances and scores goals too. 

• Facepalm 1

9 minutes ago, Hup said:

Agreed. Better than Williams - does what Williams does but doesn’t get a nose bleed in the opposite half. Plays forward, creates chances and scores goals too. 

Wow. 

I know Joe Williams is the whipping boy on here for some but to say a player who hasn’t touched the first team starting line up at the age of 21 , or had a loan above conference south (with no criticism of Backwell here) is better than an established championship centre mid may be a new level of scapegoating.

• Haha 1
  • Flames 3

23 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Wow. 

I know Joe Williams is the whipping boy on here for some but to say a player who hasn’t touched the first team starting line up at the age of 21 , or had a loan above conference south (with no criticism of Backwell here) is better than an established championship centre mid may be a new level of scapegoating.

Agree Williams gets a fair bit but this isn’t that. It’s a considered response / comment based on having seen a lot of both. Agreed Backwell needs the opportunity to show it and if it doesn’t come it doesn’t come but if it does I guarantee you’ll agree 👍🏼

18 minutes ago, Hup said:

Agree Williams gets a fair bit but this isn’t that. It’s a considered response / comment based on having seen a lot of both. Agreed Backwell needs the opportunity to show it and if it doesn’t come it doesn’t come but if it does I guarantee you’ll agree 👍🏼

I think the thing that has to be acknowledged here is levels. Backwell may be good, he may be not - but there is no way anyone can say he is better than Williams because of the respective levels they’ve operated at.

Anis Mehmeti is a world beater at league one and a panel beater at championship. There were plenty on here who bemoaned Louis Britton not being played and he’s now at Bristol Manor Farm.

Unfortunately for Tommy, he’s playing under a head coach who has historically been reticent to play academy players - and as we saw last season with JKL - has moved players around not to play them. Hes behind a minimum of four players for a CM berth even without moves and the chances of him playing are slim to none. So we have to say that we have no idea if he can do it at this level - and it’s not likely he’ll get the opportunity to do so.

You may be right, you may be wrong. But I don’t think the judgement can be made right now and I’d think he should look for a loan at NL level to at least evidence himself there - because with a one year deal, he could find himself out of contract at the age of 22 having played no higher a level than Bath. And no matter how good he is or how good you think he may be, that alone will harm his chances of making a career in the game.

• Like 1

The contract scenario really does paint a sh*t or bust year for this year doesn’t it.

It’s a shame we don’t have the management to deliver it. I’ll be amazed if we’re top half at the end of the season. Which would then mean that this OOC players (the entire defence :laugh:) leave and then we have *yet another* rebuild.

This Club is run by a bunch of amateurs. Is it any wonder we don’t make progress on the field.