IGNORED

The EFL Trophy

Unan

13 minutes ago, Lavington Robin said:

Starts tonight in the EFL trophy against Huddersfield.

Am I being dim? What is the EFL trophy

edit: Huddersfield are league one, whoops, forgot  

Edited by Unan

25 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

was ok when we won it though, i enjoyed the day out last time at wembley

City won it a number of times RS and on each occasion it was a great day out. However the EFL cup is for lower league clubs and City were a big fish in a small pond every season.

I and plenty of other fans being seen as a ‘lower league’ club nationally was embarrassing. We all wanted to be in the next league above,

Now City are an established Championship club and thankfully no longer considered as  ‘lower league’ nationally.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

I really enjoyed the trip to Wembley.  @Robbored is a grumpy sod I think.

Not grumpy at all Lorenzo. I enjoyed the days out as much as the next fan but I’m just delighted that City don’t have to play it any longer.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Not grumpy at all Lorenzo. I enjoyed the days out as much as the next fan but I’m just delighted that City don’t have to play it any longer.

See, it did put a smile on your face.  I wish that random second tier European cup was still a thing, then we could play some random European teams.

1 hour ago, redsquirrel said:

was ok when we won it though, i enjoyed the day out last time at wembley

Iirc we lost it (in my time)

2000 v Stoke, one of the final few games at Old Wembley.

2003 v Carlisle, at Millennium Stadium.

2015 v I forget who, we won anyway at new Wembley.

Was at the first 2, not the 3rd.

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

i went to one where we lost on penalties but cant remember who against

23 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

2015 Walsall. I had £20 on Flint to score which he did 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

i went to one where we lost on penalties but cant remember who against

1986 beat Bolton 3-1

1987 Lost on pens to Mansfield after a 1-1

2000 Lost to Stoke 2-1

2003 Beat Carlisle 2-0

2015 Beat Walsall 3-0

They are the finals I can remember at least

Pretty sure we are the only club to have won it 3 times

Edited by richwwtk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

1986 beat Bolton 3-1

2000 Lost to Stoke 2-1

2003 Beat Carlisle 2-0

2015 Beat Walsall 3-0

Bolton 3-0

Walsall 2-0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

1986 beat Bolton 3-1

2000 Lost to Stoke 2-1

2003 Beat Carlisle 2-0

2015 Beat Walsall 3-0

thanks rich👍 i thought it began with m.  i remember after not being able to get draught cider and had a nasty bottle of apples from a nearby pub 

7 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Bolton 3-0

Walsall 2-0

We hardly turned up for that Walsall game, very perfunctory win on the day. 

Last match of the season we showed them the real team winning 8-2 

Fun fact, the last time we had won 8-2 was just before WW2 and we beat..... Walsall away!

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

1986 beat Bolton 3-1

2000 Lost to Stoke 2-1

2003 Beat Carlisle 2-0

2015 Beat Walsall 3-0

Went to all the finals;

Bolton - i was 13. It was at that point probably the best day in my life.

Mansfield. Who on earth let Gordon Owen & then David Moyes take penalties?

Stoke - bit rubbish (much like Stoke itself)

Carlisle - tepid match, seemed to take forever to get home.

Walsall - really good day out with the kids. However for a football match to be truly memorable there has to be an air of jeopardy. From the minute we kicked off, I was never in any doubt that we'd win easily & we did.

The Bolton final amazing to perform so well on the big occasion- the polar opposite of what we did v Brighton in the play offs.

It's a rubbish trophy but I have an affection for it due to the 86 & 87 finals. As with most things in the modern game, the powers that be are doing their best to ruin it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

However the EFL cup is for lower league clubs and City were a big fish in a small pond every season.

A reasonable sized club in L1 but a look at average attendances would show there were other ‘fish’ of a similar size. We may average 22k now but that wasnt the case in the 80s, 90s and 00s.

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

I and plenty of other fans being seen as a ‘lower league’ club nationally was embarrassing. We all wanted to be in the next league above,

I’m not in the slightest bit embarrassed about any of our victories in this competition. To win a competition 3 times in 20 attempts when clubs like the Rovers have competed in it twice as many times and never won it is not something for us to be embarrassed about.

I would also suggest dropping the Billy big bollocks attitude as well, it sounds like you’ve been hanging around with your Gas mates too long. Being in Div 3 is no doubt ‘embarrassing’ for clubs like Leeds and Manchester City, for us unfortunately it’s where we’ve spent half our history.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, TDarwall said:

Went to all the finals;

Walsall - really good day out with the kids. However for a football match to be truly memorable there has to be an air of jeopardy. From the minute we kicked off, I was never in any doubt that we'd win easily & we did.

The Bolton final amazing to perform so well on the big occasion- the polar opposite of what we did v Brighton in the play offs.

It's a rubbish trophy but I have an affection for it due to the 86 & 87 finals. As with most things in the modern game, the powers that be are doing their best to ruin it.

I took my Brother in Law to the Stoke final at the new Wembley to try and get him hooked . It worked a treat he’s now a Stoke supporter. 
We were robbed by a much more street wise , tough team . How many times has that happened during our history ? 
:grr:

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I took my Brother in Law to the Stoke final at the new Wembley to try and get him hooked . It worked a treat he’s now a Stoke supporter. 
We were robbed by a much more street wise , tough team . How many times has that happened during our history ? 
:grr:

*old Wembley 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

A reasonable sized club in L1 but a look at average attendances would show there were other ‘fish’ of a similar size. We may average 22k now but that wasnt the case in the 80s, 90s and 00s.

I’m not in the slightest bit embarrassed about any of our victories in this competition. To win a competition 3 times in 20 attempts when clubs like the Rovers have competed in it twice as many times and never won it is not something for us to be embarrassed about.

I would also suggest dropping the Billy big bollocks attitude as well, it sounds like you’ve been hanging around with your Gas mates too long. Being in Div 3 is no doubt ‘embarrassing’ for clubs like Leeds and Manchester City, for us unfortunately it’s where we’ve spent half our history.

Good for you Peter………..I’m pleased that you’re not embarrassed.

As for my ‘gas mates’ - I’m sure many of us have people that we know who support the Rovers, my regular barber does foe example and we engage in a combination of friendly banter and more serious football talk along with local gossip. He’s a nice guy.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Good for you Peter………..I’m pleased that you’re not embarrassed.

As for my ‘gas mates’ - I’m sure many of us have people that we know who support the Rovers, my regular barber does foe example and we engage in a combination of friendly banter and more serious football talk along with local gossip. He’s a nice guy.

You're a brave man Robbo, I'm not sure I'd let a gashead with sharp scissors or razors anywhere near my head......... surely those extra fingers must get in the way?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

You're a brave man Robbo, I'm not sure I'd let a gashead with sharp scissors or razors anywhere near my head......... surely those extra fingers must get in the way?

We’re both mature blokes CR. The so called rivalry between the two Bristol clubs doesn’t exist between grown ups of either club.

14 hours ago, Robbored said:

City won it a number of times RS and on each occasion it was a great day out. However the EFL cup is for lower league clubs and City were a big fish in a small pond every season.

Now City are an established Championship club and thankfully no longer considered as  ‘lower league’ nationally.

We're in the EFL Cup this season!

12 hours ago, TDarwall said:

Went to all the finals;

Did all but the Walsall one.

By that stage I was so fed up of being at that level & didn’t watch a single game in the competition that year.

Fortunately Cotts got us up in style.

Not enjoyed any of the finals much, as the first one was great but came very close after an unexpected family bereavement & I really wasn’t “there”.

Lost the second & third, the Carlisle game was absolutely tedious watching us labour to a win over a bottom six Division Four team & also played in Cardiff. Still at least we got a preview of how Danny Wilson was unable to get a side up for a final..

Hope we aren’t in the competition again in my lifetime.

15 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Still at least we got a preview of how Danny Wilson was unable to get a side up for a final..

I'd forgotten that Carlisle was Danny's dress rehearsal!

I've said it many times but the Brighton final was the low point of my City watching days.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

13 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Yeah, worse than Hull.

For me, infinitely worse than Hull.

We outperformed expectations all season & then actually played pretty well v Hull. I'm convinced had McCombe been fit & Orr not crocked, we would have beaten them.

Brighton was totally different, we should have been top 2 that season, then get to the final & phone in the most anaemic performance - we played like a friendly. 

• Like 5

• Admin
1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The EFL Cup is what the JPT, LDV etc used to he.

The League Cup is obviously the League Cup.

I thought the League Cup is the EFL Cup & the JPT etc is the EFL Trophy?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The EFL Cup is what the JPT, LDV etc used to he.

The League Cup is obviously the League Cup.

JPT/LDV etc is the EFL Trophy

League Cup is the EFL Cup

It feels like they only started using EFL rather than Football League because the people were referring to the Premier League as EPL and they wanted to copy. Some marketing bollocks no doubt.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cityboy1954 said:

Only cup we will ever win 

Anglo Italian, Welsh, Gloucester - there's loads!

I always remember asking Scott Davidson what the beer bottle in the trophy cabinet was - "That was for the headers competition at the Summer Training Camp"

Edited by richwwtk

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’ve not heard any gashead say that Peter - they quite rightly know their place.

🤣

So much evidence out there to prove otherwise, but that’s for a different thread.

As for the EFL Trophy, if you’re in the third division you’re competing in it and to win it 3 times is not embarrassing. Since its inception we’ve been at that level plenty of seasons, way too many seasons to start talking like we’re a Sunderland or Man City who historically are too big for the division. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

JPT/LDV etc is the EFL Trophy

League Cup is the EFL Cup

It feels like they only started using EFL rather than Football League because the people were referring to the Premier League as EPL and they wanted to copy. Some marketing bollocks no doubt.

The Fa is now the English FA

The Football League is now to English Football league

The Premier League is now the English Football League

Only using the specific article (the) was seen as very arrogant for a nation that was scraping quater finals at best. So English was added to everything

35 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Only using the specific article (the) was seen as very arrogant for a nation that was scraping quater finals at best. So English was added to everything

Fair enough I guess, but they were the originals :P

32 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

It's just competition marketing per @richwwtk.

I've listed the names of the organisations below, only the Football League have added 'English' to its name: -

The Foootball Association

The Premier League

The English Football League

9 hours ago, richwwtk said:

Anglo Italian, Welsh, Gloucester - there's loads!

I always remember asking Scott Davidson what the beer bottle in the trophy cabinet was - "That was for the headers competition at the Summer Training Camp"

Bleu wit trophy what the youth team won is standing in Barcelona cabinet .