IGNORED

Piercy leaves BL

12 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Surprised he was there as long as he was, so much better than any previous journalist that covered City for the Post.

Personally I really didnt like Gregor - there were countless times when he got something wrong, not quite as big scale as the Korey Smith incident, was never as accurate as Piercy

Edited by cheddarwedlocker

4 minutes ago, cheddarwedlocker said:

Personally I really didnt like Gregor - there were countless times when he got something wrong, not quite as big scale as the Korey Smith incident, was never as accurate as Piercy

In fairness to Gregor, the Korey news came straight from his agent, as I recall, as he was absolutely fed up with the club not announcing it so took matters into his own hands. 

Journos are used as pawns all the time. Romano’s tweet about Conway to Boro was a move to try and drum up last minute panic bids from other clubs before everything at Boro was wrapped up, for example. 

• Like 4

Real shame but a surprise that they managed to hold on to him for this long.

Writes very well & is of a far higher standard than anyone in the role prior to him for very many years.

Local journalism is basically dying on its arse, we can all snipe about the quality of it at times but as few of us actually ever buy a newspaper, it is cause & effect.

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

What was that about KS, it seemed to have slipped my mind, please ?

Gregor reported that he’d signed a new deal, only for Korey himself to go onto insta to stay it wasn’t true and that the club hadn’t offered him a deal so he was leaving. 

Ashton then came out and basically slagged him off for doing so, and then Holden had to say it was his decision to let him go, even though he wasn’t appointed head coach yet at the time Korey ‘announced’ it. 

Some clever puppetry by the source to speed up Korey getting Swansea deal over the line, imho. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

In fairness to Gregor, the Korey news came straight from his agent, as I recall, as he was absolutely fed up with the club not announcing it so took matters into his own hands. 

Journos are used as pawns all the time. Romano’s tweet about Conway to Boro was a move to try and drum up last minute panic bids from other clubs before everything at Boro was wrapped up, for example. 

I liked Gregor, thought he was really funny. Always a joy to listen to his quips on OSIB

Disappointed to hear he has left as he provided superb coverage of City with commentary and questions that went well beyond the superficial.  He'll be a very hard act to replace.  As someone else said, he has been the best journalist in this role for the last couple of decades. 

• Like 1

I wasn't hugely surprised when you told me. All the very best mate. I will miss our press area chats and debates. It will feel ever so quiet when I report on the 21's but at least I will have a higher stock of sweets and treats for longer...:laugh:. 

Keep in touch and good luck at the Beeb. Tomo 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Henry said:

As long as it’s not the embarrassment that covers Rovers.

That was my first thought / fear. Please don’t be him. The one time he stood in for Piercy, his question to Manning was “you must be buzzing for this game” yeh great line of questioning there. 

48 minutes ago, One Team said:

I actually liked Gregor, but Piercy was by some way the best BL journalist to cover City in my supporting time and properly held people to account. 

Hopefully these messages of appreciation will reach him. 

He will read this thread and don’t worry he will be back at Ashton Gate soon watching with his lad. Whilst he is a born pompey fan, he has alot of affection for City and that was evident through his reporting. 

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

Really gonna miss his questions in the pressers.  Intelligent, insightful, and affable.  Going second he has to come up with a different slant to his questions, and always seems to get more interesting stuff from LM and the players. 

Wish him the best. 

• Like 1

With the exception of Twentyman, he’s held the club to account more effectively than any other journalist I can remember during my time as a fan. And, believe me, it is not as easy as it sounds.

He’s going to be a big loss - I hope his replacement represents us as well as he has.

• Like 12
  • Flames 1

Very occasionally we get to see a glimpse of the real Liam Manning.

And it's always when he's replying to a question from James Piercy and having a laugh, a joke, a banter.

The mask of the football manager has briefly slipped and we get to see a bit of the real individual - something usually kept private, carefully protected, but now tickled into the daylight.

THAT is a good journalist.

Lots of people can write but there's a heck of a lot more to being a journalist than that.

As Samuel L Jackson once said "personality goes a long way".

• Like 8

• Admin

Piercy's line of questioning was the thing that made the pre-match pressers watchable as he actually asked Manning questions that made him think, and in doing that allowed his human side to come out (as others have mentioned). I'm more sad at losing that than any of the players that have left this year.

• Like 2

When i saw that JP was leaving i thought i must go on and wish him well and compliment him on his exceptional journalism..............but it seems that everyone has beaten me to it, and are all of the same opinion,     and  he has been rightly praised by all, on his outstanding writing.  He was/is a premiership journo, just waiting to move on to greater things.  He will be sorely missed, and almost impossible to replace,  Good Luck JP!!

• Like 2

I'm surprised that anyone gives a toss about who does or doesn't write 2nd rate articles in BL..!

Pretty he last place I'd eve even think to look for any news on our club. 

No idea who he is or what sort of job he's done - but happy to accept that he was doubtlessly better than Greg MacGregor or what ever his name was.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I find their website so unusable I’ve not really read much of his stuff, which is a shame as he seemed a really decent journo. 

Click on ‘show reader’ mode, will only show you the text then, as if reading on a kindle. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I'm surprised that anyone gives a toss about who does or doesn't write 2nd rate articles in BL..!

Pretty he last place I'd eve even think to look for any news on our club. 

No idea who he is or what sort of job he's done - but happy to accept that he was doubtlessly better than Greg MacGregor or what ever his name was.

I hope unlike you.......they spell check their grammar when writing all those 2nd rate articles that you don't give a toss about?          

29 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I hope unlike you.......they spell check their grammar when writing all those 2nd rate articles that you don't give a toss about?          

I'd hope so aswell..! That is their job.!

I couldn't edit my post once I'd noticed that there were errors in how it had come out.

Sorry if it was all to complicated & difficult for you to comprehend..!

Also, if specifically posting  criticism of someone's grammar when there's clearly a typo - you may want to add a comma after "hope" or insert the wort "that".

Have a lovely afternoon spell checking people's posts. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I'd hope so aswell..! That is their job.!

I couldn't edit my post once I'd noticed that there were errors in how it had come out.

Sorry if it was all to complicated & difficult for you to comprehend..!

Also, if specifically posting  criticism of someone's grammar when there's clearly a typo - you may want to add a comma after "hope" or insert the wort "that".

Have a lovely afternoon spell checking people's posts. 

It’s a funny thing! I typically post from the little key board on my iPhone.

Usually not checking grammar as it’s a football forum and unless the sentence and message are changed by a neglected comma everyone gets the massage ( yes that was deliberate) even the spell check police! 👮 

For the record the only notice I took of GMcG was because of his bizarre name and the only time I took any notice of this guy was when someone on here whose posts I liked said something he wrote was decent  

For club latest we all have Ian these days, things do move on!

Good luck to the fella anyway. Who is he working for now anyone? Where is GMcG as well? I always got the impression he pissed someone off at the club!?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

It’s a funny thing! I typically post from the little key board on my iPhone.

Usually not checking grammar as it’s a football forum and unless the sentence and message are changed by a neglected comma everyone gets the massage ( yes that was deliberate) even the spell check police! 👮 

For the record the only notice I took of GMcG was because of his bizarre name and the only time I took any notice of this guy was when someone on here whose posts I liked said something he wrote was decent  

For club latest we all have Ian these days, things do move on!

Good luck to the fella anyway. Who is he working for now anyone? Where is GMcG as well? I always got the impression he pissed someone off at the club!?

He’s freelance, does a lot for The Times. He pissed LJ off a few times (who didn’t?). 

Edited by petehinton
  • Like 2