IGNORED

San Marino - History made

Steve Watts

Surprised to see no-one has mentioned them tonight. 

They won their first match in 20 years, only their second of all time and their first ever competitive win. Another 1-0 win over Lichtenstein to mirror the scoreline when the teams meet in a friendly in April 2004.

The team so many will on because they've been historically hopeless have finally got a win, but it has been coming. Their defence has improved massively, moving from an average of just over 5 conceded per match to just over 2.

Nice for the whipping boys of world football to finally get a moment of pure unbridled joy! 

• Like 6

That is what the Nations League can do, nice to see. Congratulations to San Marino.

With some it can help sides to grow, to propel them over time- Finland, Georgia- give them their moment in the sun but they are better than San Marino.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

20 years.... that's nothing.

Some teams haven't been above their locals rivals in the league for longer than that.!

Congrats San Marino.!

Mind The Gap 

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

There is great footage online of their players, coaches & (very few) supporters celebrating this.

Exactly what sport is all about.

The Nations League is actually a very good idea, far fewer friendlies & an opportunity for the weaker teams to play some games where they have a realistic chance of a result, like this.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

11 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

20 years.... that's nothing.

Some teams haven't been above their locals rivals in the league for longer than that.!

Congrats San Marino.!

Only slightly less embossing than not having competed in the top division for 45 years….

Well done San Marino! 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, GrahamC said:

There is great footage online of their players, coaches & (very few) supporters celebrating this.

The Nations League is actually a very good idea, far fewer friendlies & an opportunity for the weaker teams to play some games where they have a realistic chance of a result, like this.

Exactly. Was only sharing the X link (with sound up) earlier.

Good on them what real football is all about.

• Thanks 3

8 hours ago, archie andrews said:

Remember when they scored withon 10 seconds against england........ 

I was there mate England had a good following that night as stoke bolton and West Brom had played in the Anglo Italian cup the night before . I watched Bolton in pisa with some Bolton fans I meet on my travels 

• Like 1

Well done San Marino. Have been a couple of times with England.

One time we had some food after the game at a restaurant with a flamboyant bar owner that was seasoning cold meats for the table with his bare hands. Gave us quite a bit of the food for free from memory. 

The late, great Scooter befriended him, and managed to get a couple of t-shirts for me and him. Turns out he helped run the local Sammarinese brewery.

I just checked their website and this is the tee below, with the bloke we met second from left! 

FB_IMG_1725699985266.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Well done San Marino. Have been a couple of times with England.

One time we had some food after the game at a restaurant with a flamboyant bar owner that was seasoning cold meats for the table with his bare hands. Gave us quite a bit of the food for free from memory. 

The late, great Scooter befriended him, and managed to get a couple of t-shirts for me and him. Turns out he helped run the local Sammarinese brewery.

I just checked their website and this is the tee below, with the bloke we met second from left! 

FB_IMG_1725699985266.jpg

Well, the time I went with you we ended up getting attacked by the local gang dressed in balaclavas and armed with baseball bats!! 🤣

Edited by Harry

On 06/09/2024 at 07:24, GrahamC said:

It is.  Works both for the better and weaker teams.  England should be able to bed in a number of players from under 21s over the next 3 months which should enable evolution further down the line for the next world cup.   The main reason why having Carsley in charge makes sense.  

• Like 1